Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

Super Waffle posted:

I don't see it :saddowns:

113 x 11 = 1243, that's a link to page 1243.

Ugh, waste of the top of the page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I don't see any correlation with any of those pages at all. Tom said in this thread he doesn't know what day of the week his pages are going to appear on, so is it really likely that he would time out the comic for some numbering scheme? And again, I don't see what makes those pages you linked any special, or how they link together.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

IUG posted:

I don't see any correlation with any of those pages at all. Tom said in this thread he doesn't know what day of the week his pages are going to appear on, so is it really likely that he would time out the comic for some numbering scheme? And again, I don't see what makes those pages you linked any special, or how they link together.

They're multiples of 113, that's it. There's no significance to them. It's just a joke.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
Could it be a reference to this thing?

e: Never mind.

Quinn2win fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Mar 11, 2014

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Reformed Pissboy posted:

I bet 113 is because tom's birthday is january 13, the coolest and best birth day, in this troper's opinion.

disclaimer: I do not actually know tom's birthday ofc

Or it could be November 3rd, or because he's in the UK it could be March 11th...which is today!

Happy (Maybe) Birthday Tom!

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Happy birthday Tom

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature
Tom's birthday is on the first of tricember.

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

Brightman posted:

Or it could be November 3rd, or because he's in the UK it could be March 11th...which is today!

Happy (Maybe) Birthday Tom!

His birthday was yesterday http://gunnerkrigg.proboards.com/post/3373

Happy belated birthday Tom, thanks for the work, it's my favorite web comic.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!
Huh, I don't know what I was expecting, but it wasn't that.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Mort was a good person even before he died.

Also, Jones is looking pretty stunning in that last panel. I wonder how she gets her hair into different styles when it's totally invincible.

Jhordhynne
Jan 12, 2010

Her hair is just like real hair, just impossible to cut. It's been the same length throughout history.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
JONES HI I DID NOT EXPECT YOU HERE

Aaaa, wow. It is yet another object lesson in that faith in Tom is mandatory.

BattleCake
Mar 12, 2012

cafel posted:

Huh, I don't know what I was expecting, but it wasn't that.

Yeah. This just got a lot more interesting!

Pardot posted:

Yeah this comic owns.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
So if Morty gets killed trying to save Jones from harm, does that count as an ironic death?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Maybe Jones takes him to the Court and he dies there.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

A bomb falls nearby, the ground cracks, Jones stumbles and falls on Mort. Chapter ends. :v:

Roger Tangerines
Apr 15, 2013

by Debbie Metallica
I was wondering if Jonsey was gonna show up after I re-read The Stone last week. The World War-related page of that chapter has Jones involved in an explosion at a filling factory, but it doesn't specify which World War it takes place in. The caption says that it takes place "several decades ago", which might imply that it's the Second World War, because the First took place from 1914-1918, and it seems more likely that the caption would read "a century ago" if that were the timeframe (we know that the comic takes place roughly in the present, right? The only specific "current" reference I can remember is Kat playing MGS4 when it came out). However, after some (admittedly brief) research I couldn't find any record of a disaster at a filling factory during the Second World War, so depending on how closely Tom sticks to historical accuracy where the "real world" is concerned, it could just as easily be the First.

The point I'm coming to is that Jones might still be called Emma right now.

Roger Tangerines fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Mar 12, 2014

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

MikeJF posted:

Maybe Jones takes him to the Court and he dies there.

Perestroika posted:

A bomb falls nearby, the ground cracks, Jones stumbles and falls on Mort. Chapter ends. :v:

Wyld Karde posted:

So if Morty gets killed trying to save Jones from harm, does that count as an ironic death?

Mort dies and spends ~X years floating around by Jones' side for many years invisible to the public until finally settling in the Court and moving away from her.

Doctor_Blueninja
Oct 23, 2012

Just some guy with a college doctorate and a passing knowledge of what it means to be a ninja.
I was actually wondering if we'd end up seeing Jones wandering around somewhere during this chapter. You boys and girls have gotta remember, Jones has been around England for a long time already.

Though I have to admit that I wasn't thinking that we'd be seeing her this soon or that Mort would directly interact with her in any way.

Edit: Welp. Missed Roger's post that said pretty much the same thing. I guess someone else was thinking along the same lines as me after all!

Doctor_Blueninja fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Mar 12, 2014

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

You know for anyone interested in the Jones experience you could watch The Man From Earth. Basically the same premise of an immortal person except it's a guy and he's not actually indestructable.

Roger Tangerines
Apr 15, 2013

by Debbie Metallica

Demiurge4 posted:

You know for anyone interested in the Jones experience you could watch The Man From Earth. Basically the same premise of an immortal person except it's a guy and he's not actually indestructable.

Huh, weird. I really like that movie and never connected it with Jones before. I might give it a rewatch for some perspective on the influences Jones might have had on the non-etheric world during her tenure (although, to be fair, John Oldman was less strict than Jones about non-interference, to say the least).

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

So no one else is going to guess what is in her hand? I don't know if it was something she shown to be given during one of those flashback sequences.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

IUG posted:

So no one else is going to guess what is in her hand? I don't know if it was something she shown to be given during one of those flashback sequences.

Nothing is in her hand, her fingers are just in shadow.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I think we're about to get a look into Jones' emotional state. She is probably going to be there when Mort dies and may feel some responsibility for the fact, which shows that she's probably what has kept Mort in the world for this long. Remember she introduces Annie to Mort early in the comic (even though Annie's already met him) so they clearly have some kind of long standing relationship. I don't think Jones is completely without feelings.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

Demiurge4 posted:

I haven't been able to find any information about it, but I remember reading a story about A group of people who time travel back to Neanderthal days and One of them is basically an immortal and uses time travel to essentially live the history of the Earth over and over again I can't remember the name of the book because I read it over 20 years ago I think but the description of the 'movie' of Man from Earth is a different plot.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
Yeah, I doubt this is a coincidental cameo. I could see a bomb hitting them right now, causing Mort to get stuck to Jones in one way or another. Not just literally, either :unsmigghh:

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Pardot posted:

That link doesn't work, or rather I get taken to a page on the gunnerkrigg forum saying, "Oops, there was an error," and no post. Was I right and you were being literal about it being yesterday when you posted or is his birthday on the tenth and 113 is whatever?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Pththya-lyi posted:

Nothing is in her hand, her fingers are just in shadow.

Can we be sure that's not Jimmy Jims down there?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

pik_d posted:

Can we be sure that's not Jimmy Jims down there?
I thought he was the kid chasing after her?

Or is that coyote?

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

Pththya-lyi posted:

Nothing is in her hand, her fingers are just in Shadow.

Poor little guy...

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Happy belated birthday Tom!

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Wyld Karde posted:

Dying in an attempt to save the life of someone who actually was in no danger whatsoever? That seems like irony to me.

AlexG
Jul 15, 2004
If you can't solve a problem with gaffer tape, it's probably insoluble anyway.
We have previously seen Mort-Jones interaction - 387 and following pages.
I didn't notice before that she calls him Mortimer (in comics 391 and 392).

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
On that topic, in 389 she asks Annie, "You know this boy?" which is an interesting way to phrase it. Not inaccurate, but in hindsight it shows that Jones thinks of him as a kid, which, as we are know seeing, is apparently what she knew him as.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Roland Jones posted:

On that topic, in 389 she asks Annie, "You know this boy?" which is an interesting way to phrase it. Not inaccurate, but in hindsight it shows that Jones thinks of him as a kid, which, as we are know seeing, is apparently what she knew him as.
Yeah, in retrospect we should have known that Mort wasn't the Artilleryman just based on this one line.

HoboNews
Oct 11, 2012

Don't rattle me bones
I was about to say, "We don't analyze GC THAT intensely."
But then I thought about it some more... Yeah we kind of do :v:

Fake edit: Oh wait :thejoke:

Doctor_Blueninja
Oct 23, 2012

Just some guy with a college doctorate and a passing knowledge of what it means to be a ninja.

JT Jag posted:

Yeah, in retrospect we should have known that Mort wasn't the Artilleryman just based on this one line.

Hey! He could still totally be the Artilleryman! You just have to assume that Tom is going to show us that Mort is some sort of bizarre, reverse-ageing entity that's suffering from amnesia at the moment.

It all makes sense if you look at it that way.

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

Brightman posted:

That link doesn't work, or rather I get taken to a page on the gunnerkrigg forum saying, "Oops, there was an error," and no post. Was I right and you were being literal about it being yesterday when you posted or is his birthday on the tenth and 113 is whatever?

He must have deleted it, so I will not clarify what it was.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Demiurge4 posted:

I looked this movie up on wikipedia then found it on youtube and skimmed through it real quick. The whole thing just takes place in the cabin and you never actually see him doing stuff in the past. It's all just a story being told. It looks like the movie was on a small budget though and if the budget was bigger that'd be a pretty sweet movie to see.

Also can I use this somewhat related topic to bitch about how the trailers for The Fountain were misleading bullshit because they made the movie out to be this immortal love story that spans the ages until suddenly the wife starts dying mysteriously.

The Fountain wasn't like that. It wasn't like that at all. I haven't been so let down by a movie in a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Doctor_Blueninja posted:

Hey! He could still totally be the Artilleryman! You just have to assume that Tom is going to show us that Mort is some sort of bizarre, reverse-ageing entity that's suffering from amnesia at the moment.

It all makes sense if you look at it that way.
The Curious Case of Benjamort Button.