Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

gradenko_2000 posted:

Alex Jones has such a nasty-rear end voice. It's like the man smokes entire packs at a time.

He's Goku, not JC Denton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

The Casualty posted:

He's Goku, not JC Denton.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hj2e9hi9Qss

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

So while this plane is missing (lol where the gently caress is it) hammock cat is also missing from byob. coincidence?

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Awesome! posted:

So while this plane is missing (lol where the gently caress is it) hammock cat is also missing from byob. coincidence?
He's still there. You gotta update the z-index in your custom css. (gently caress radium)

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

I don't even know what that means so I'm just gonna continue pretending hammock cat hijacked the plane and they're all in jamaica chillin and smoking weed

Skipjack
Sep 11, 2007

I prefer a quiet station,
thank you.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Alex Jones has such a nasty-rear end voice. It's like the man smokes entire packs at a time.

occupational hazard of screaming gibberish into a camera for a living i guess

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

loving lol that is one of my favorite soundbytes of all time

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

myshl0ng posted:

2014 and you can literally lose a plane, mega lolz

Deadbeat Poetry
Mar 6, 2004

Sorry if my costume scared you
The conspiracy theories about this are loving hilarious. It was brought down by U.S. SCALAR WEAPONS power by Tesla's ghost to send a message to the Chinese, also the Russians have apparently perfected these "hyperspace weapons" which have the ability and destroy anything anywhere instantly and cannot be blocked. They've had this technology since the 70s didn't use it against the U.S. because reasons (likely aliens). They have harnessed literally free, limitless energy to mildly dick around with America's weather occasionally and not make their country a non-shithole.

Somehow this caused 9/11.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

we should make planes bigger so they're harder to lose

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007
Why don't they make the plane out of the black box?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Melmac posted:

Why don't they make the plane out of the black box?

it's almost racist not to

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp
Chinese satellite is showing large-sized debris, in an area that I think is within the NZ guy's sighting from the oil platform. This might be it.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/12/world/asia/malaysia-airlines-plane/index.html

Or it might not. :lost:

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!
I like how what appears to be the only witnesses from the oil rig were completely ignored by Malaysian government for days and had to go to U.S. media to get their info out. The only reason the plane is not found is that because Malaysia is totally incompetent. Or they are trying not to find it on purpose. Because CIA/Aliens/China secret docs.

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp
Meanwhile, in Malaysia...

Missing jet may have strayed toward Andaman Sea: Malaysian air force

quote:

KUALA LUMPUR/PHU QUOC, Vietnam (Reuters) - Malaysia's military has traced what could have been the jetliner missing for almost five days to an area south of the Thai holiday island of Phuket, hundreds of miles to the west of its last known position, the country's air force chief said on Wednesday.

http://news.yahoo.com/malaysia-military-source-says-missing-jet-veered-west-004734056--sector.html

:allears:

Voting "incompetent." I've never seen a country get owned in real time before.

bonestructure fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Mar 12, 2014

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Has there been a Zoolander joke in this thread yet?

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

bonestructure posted:

http://news.yahoo.com/malaysia-military-source-says-missing-jet-veered-west-004734056--sector.html

At this point is there anything believable about what the Malaysian military might say?

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

It was shot down by associates of Rupert Murdoch in order to drive a news frenzy. This of course had to be cleared first with the lizard rulers in the UK.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

bonestructure posted:

Chinese satellite is showing large-sized debris, in an area that I think is within the NZ guy's sighting from the oil platform. This might be it.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/12/world/asia/malaysia-airlines-plane/index.html

Or it might not. :lost:

Please do not link CNN they do not deserve anyone's attention or money for it.

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp
At the time I posted, they were the only ones with the story.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

bonestructure posted:

I know, its just that even that's too much. gently caress CNN>

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

Overwined posted:

At this point is there anything believable about what the Malaysian military might say?

I was actually surprised to learn they have an actual air force. I'd like to see what they have.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

bonestructure posted:

Please do not quote Al Borland he does not deserve anyone's attention.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

spengler posted:

Please do not quote Al Borland he does not deserve anyone's attention.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

genesplicer posted:

I was actually surprised to learn they have an actual air force. I'd like to see what they have.
http://wiki.baloogancampaign.com/index.php/DataAircraft

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Awesome! posted:

we should make planes bigger so they're harder to lose

Chain them to a hub cap, or a length of 2X4.

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

Overwined posted:

The Malaysian military looks like they had track of the plane until the moment it crashed & knew about its westward turn. They just didn't bother to tell anybody until a few days ago lol

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

wtf they have both migs and f-18s

are you fuckers pinko sympathizers or freedom lovers, make up your fuckin minds!!!

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

Savings Coupon posted:

The conspiracy theories about this are loving hilarious. It was brought down by U.S. SCALAR WEAPONS power by Tesla's ghost to send a message to the Chinese, also the Russians have apparently perfected these "hyperspace weapons" which have the ability and destroy anything anywhere instantly and cannot be blocked. They've had this technology since the 70s didn't use it against the U.S. because reasons (likely aliens). They have harnessed literally free, limitless energy to mildly dick around with America's weather occasionally and not make their country a non-shithole.

Prof.Snugglesworth
Feb 9, 2009

Ooo...you make me live now honey.

Knight Corgi posted:

And yet the Atlantic Ocean is much much deeper and bigger (can't remember but the black box and most of the debris, along with many bodies were found deep down, like around 4000 meters, which is roughly 12,000 feet). Sure, it took them two years to find the most important evidences but the wreckage was in the middle of nowhere deep down, in a very big ocean and it "only" took them two or three days to find some floating pieces and bodies.
The whole sea surrounding the Malaysian peninsula is very shallow.
Either the South Asian military sucks or the plane just went far away from the area. Or both.

The thing with AF447 is that authorities knew definitively that the plane went down and approximately where it went down because they had received ACAR messages in the last few minutes before it crashed. So, when they started their search, they had a set of co-ordinates to start from and confirmation that the plane was going down at the time.

This is somewhat different because at the last verified point of contact (which was when Malaysian air control was handing off to Vietnamese air control), everything was still okay with the flight. After the hand off, the flight dropped off secondary radar. All of the stuff about the flight turning back towards Peninsular Malaysia/Straits of Malacca is based on what was picked up on primary radar and they haven't been able to verify if that was actually MH370 since all primary radar does is tell you that "hey! there's a big metal thing in the sky over there heading in x direction". So, really, the starting point for the search between MH370 and AF447 is quite different.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

bonestructure posted:

China could have been nice and told the Malaysian government behind closed doors before they let the world know. But China chose not to be nice :(

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

bonestructure posted:

As a Malaysian citizen it's positively embarassing yet not unexpected to see our officials bumbling around like idiots all the time. Only this time the rest of the world gets to have a look too.

BlueChocolate
Jan 4, 2014

Savings Coupon posted:

okay scully

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

MOther f ucking AIRPLANE TIME

no dad no

Makarov_
Jun 10, 2006

"It's our year" - Makarov_ January 2018
Wall Street Journal has an article up claiming "engine monitoring data", which I assume means ACARS messages, continued to be received for four hours after the plane's transponder signal was lost. That puts its possible location in a circle with a radius of 2200 nautical miles from its last known position.

https://twitter.com/jonostrower/status/443967767835062272

Full article is paywalled:
http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304914904579434653903086282

If this is true, there's going to be a poo poo storm.

edit: also this ominous tweet from same WSJ reporter:

"Investigators pursuing notion the 777 was diverted "with the intention of using it later for another purpose.""

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

My life is a barrel o' fun!!
Someone hacked the autopilot remotely.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TrEdSlo1-4

rocket_man38 fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Mar 13, 2014

hofnar
Dec 27, 2008

by sebmojo
North Korea for the win

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Haha I honestly hope its really some insane non-crash scenario.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby
This is some loving Tom Clancy wet dream poo poo if true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR

Makarov_ posted:

Wall Street Journal has an article up claiming "engine monitoring data", which I assume means ACARS messages, continued to be received for four hours after the plane's transponder signal was lost. That puts its possible location in a circle with a radius of 2200 nautical miles from its last known position.

https://twitter.com/jonostrower/status/443967767835062272

Full article is paywalled:
http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304914904579434653903086282

If this is true, there's going to be a poo poo storm.

edit: also this ominous tweet from same WSJ reporter:

"Investigators pursuing notion the 777 was diverted "with the intention of using it later for another purpose.""

That sounds about right. RADAR coverage, without transponders, is spotty at best. With the amount of fuel in that plane, you could probably cross the entire Indian Ocean and end up in Somalia without being seen once, if you were really ballsy. You can land a 777 like that in ideal conditions on a 4500 ft runway.

• Locked thread