Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Fryhtaning posted:

Let's not forget, guys, that 350 lbs is flat out unhealthy no matter how strong you are. Especially on the joints. And then you're going to awkwardly fall off a goddamn platform every time you're not gently ushered beyond the rope? These guys are amazingly resilient for fat men playing gravity's bitch.

Compare them to the NFL where no amount of science and technology can prevent the average tenure from being 4 years. Obviously you take more abuse in the NFL, but they don't train any harder than a sumo wrestler does.

I would say that the average NFL player ends their career not due to injury, but due to being cut. The minimum salary rises for each year a player is pro, so it encourages removal of older borderline talent to bring in younger borderline talent.

Plus those guys plays 4 years of college and probably at least 2 years of high school.

Seriously injury management is probably the worst part of sumo. I'd rather have match fixing and healthy guys than dudes who aren't healing over two months for dumb reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
The March Banzuke is out. Biggest news is Endo getting a massive promotion all the way to M1. He did do very well last time, and he is the newest Great Japanese Hope, but there sure as hell won't be any easy matches this time around. I'd be surprised if he gets a kachikoshi, he'll start out with an ugly record against the Yokozuna and Ozeki, and then he'll have to mentally recover and face an elite level opponent every day.

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

He will probably go 8-7 with some Rikishi bowing out in the later days to ensure his kachikoshi.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Tochinoshin all the way down at Makushita 55 :smith:

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
...and what about the kick in the groin?

Diplomat posted:

He will probably go 8-7 with some Rikishi bowing out in the later days to ensure his kachikoshi.

I don't know. He's got a lot of raw power and I don't expect him to be a flop. Kachikoshi isn't out of the question but I think he'd need some help in the form of luck or his opponents being off their game.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Hell yeah 3 Sekiwake.

With most of the Ozeki injured, Harumafuji still injured, and a lot of the high M guys are guys who historically do poorly in that position... I think Endo is probably in OK shape.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Myogiryu might get the yusho from M10 ala Kyokutenho, unless last basho wasn't a fluke and he has truly lost his touch.

Now that the pressure is off, watch Kisenosato go 14-1, too.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Fryhtaning posted:

Myogiryu might get the yusho from M10 ala Kyokutenho, unless last basho wasn't a fluke and he has truly lost his touch.

Now that the pressure is off, watch Kisenosato go 14-1, too.

He is still injured, so I'm not so sure about that.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Woah, I'm watching NHK just now and the sports news is doing a thing on a couple of wrestlers from Kokonoebeya (Chitoyairyu, Chiyootori, Chiyonokuni's heya), showing footage from practice, etc. One thing I've noticed is that ALL of the wrestlers have long sideburns. New favorite heya!

Edit: Also, my town was host to a mass knifing so you had all better show some loving respect to Kashiwa, Chiba.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
It's time, bitches: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQMBz6HvSoM

Day 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnRi-qydG5M

Nice debut for Terunofuji

ENDO! Oh that was so close to a major upset. Has to wrestle a probably-not-100% Harumafuji tomorrow

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.
Oh god Endou, how the gently caress did you lose that?!?!

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
That was great ring-awareness to escape with the win! Awesome!

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Everyone brought it on day 1, even the injured rikishi. This Basho is going to be awesome. My mouth was hanging open at the slo mo finish for Harumafuji's match.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.
Wow, very promising start. I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes.

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
Day 2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MadDhtpy-w

Just as good! Hopefully the quality lasts for another 13 days.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
holy poo poo, what a save by goeido

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
And a surprise Miyabiyama appearance at the end!

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Pvt. Public posted:

Oh god Endou, how the gently caress did you lose that?!?!

That's what you call a "rookie mistake", I think. Or "youthful exuberance" if you're being generous.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Hopefully that decisive-looking win means Harumafuji is fully recovered from that injury.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

dupersaurus posted:

That's what you call a "rookie mistake", I think. Or "youthful exuberance" if you're being generous.

Where I'm from, we call it "making GBS threads the bed".

Even with the terrible coverage for the first several matches in each day, everyone just seems to give more damns so far. Typically the first week ends up with a lot of tame yorikiris as they pace themselves and try to get close to the kachi-koshi before taking risks, but we're seeing edge dancing and uwatenages aplenty.

The young crowd is awesome to watch. Even Satoyama has been a great addition to makuuchi, but he needs to be careful with trying to be too cute with the technique lest he turn into another Takanoyama.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Endo was getting repeatedly owned in the training for this basho so its not so surprising so far.

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005

Fryhtaning posted:

The young crowd is awesome to watch. Even Satoyama has been a great addition to makuuchi, but he needs to be careful with trying to be too cute with the technique lest he turn into another Takanoyama.

I dunno about Satoyama. Takanoyama at least would get splatted because he tried straight up sumo and it wouldn't work at all. Satoyama keeps going for wacky techniques and it leads to him looking like a fool when it doesn't work. And spoiler alert: it's already out there, it's not a surprise anymore, it'll never work again.

And about Endo, there are a lot of guys near the top who've been there for a long time and they can't even put up half the fight that Endou's had in the first two days of this tournament against Kakuryu and Harumafuji, specially when the Mongolians are putting in the effort like they have been so far.

Kikkoman fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Mar 11, 2014

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

In fairness, this is Endo's first taste of the top ranks. I'd be shocked if he manages a winning record this first go-around.

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

Endo is the real deal, not some Kisenosato/Goeido wannabe.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Diplomat posted:

As much as those two have choked in key moments, they've earned their spot as top 10 wrestlers rightfully. Sanyaku is a meat grinder and Goeido has done well to be consistent at that level. Obviously not everyone is a born yokozuna, and they're no exception.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Diplomat posted:

i think it's a bit early to say that, but i am very impressed so far.

speaking of young guys i am impressed with, oosunaarashi's technique seems to be developing very nicely. he was kind of a one trick pony when he was ascending through the ranks but he's gotten much more versatile

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

Fryhtaning posted:

As much as those two have choked in key moments, they've earned their spot as top 10 wrestlers rightfully. Sanyaku is a meat grinder and Goeido has done well to be consistent at that level. Obviously not everyone is a born yokozuna, and they're no exception.

I think both Kisenosato and Goeido are both very skilled wrestlers. I was just referring to their inability to take their skill to the next level (yokozuna and ozeki respectively). I believe Endo will make Ozeki early next year, perhaps even Yokozuna in time.

EDIT: Day 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67Wj0lJKbjM

Diplomat fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Mar 11, 2014

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Not a bad day, Endo got put in his place hahahahaha wow

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Omnikin posted:

lol yup. totally manhandled.

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005

Omnikin posted:

My man Masunoyama getting it done! Endo didn't look like he wanted any part of Hakuho, thoroughly outclassed.

I'm enjoying the sumo so far, not a bad day yet and everyone seems to be really trying.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Air Masunoyama holy poo poo thats amazing.

Mister Twister
Oct 22, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpB56RPAA8Y

Day 4

Endo still getting his rear end whooped

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
If there's an upside to this for Endou it's that, as long as he can keep his confidence, he's getting the hardest out of the way early.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

That one dude in the white shirt just can't get himself an autograph, can he?

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Pvt. Public posted:

That one dude in the white shirt just can't get himself an autograph, can he?

Ha, I just saw that as I was coming to the thread. Sure seems to want to touch the rikishi, though.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
The queen of the Japanese sweets industry gave Endo some bedroom instruction sweets pictured here, perhaps his mind is wandering...

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
It was nice to see Osunaarashi pass the Gagamaru test. Comfortably beating that lump of blubber is a good sign his technique is catching up with his enthusiasm and physicality.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

WindyMan posted:

Ha, I just saw that as I was coming to the thread. Sure seems to want to touch the rikishi, though.

Watching the handlers swat his hand away far too long after the fact (and running quickly to get to him in the first place) is pretty funny to me. Dude just wants some sumo grease. That too much to ask?

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Pvt. Public posted:

Watching the handlers swat his hand away far too long after the fact (and running quickly to get to him in the first place) is pretty funny to me. Dude just wants some sumo grease. That too much to ask?

I'm glad I wasn't the only one to notice that. He looked like a kid with the Downs trying to make a new friend in the boys' locker room.

I'm not even sure a perpetual Juryo/Makuuchi flip flopper like Tamaasuka would get humbled as badly as Endo has so far. He isn't just getting beat, he is getting a nuclear wedgie from the bicep curl champion of the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Four day overview, spoilers if you haven't watched all four days:

Leaders (4-0):
Y Hakuho, Harumafuji - They are getting it done, still in the 'chaff'
O2e Kisenosato - Way stronger than last basho, but had a tough bout with Shohozan. Reminder he's kadoban but it looks like it won't matter.
S1e Goeido - Hanging on with some spectacular fights
M11e Osunaarashi - Only deep guy to still be undefeated, looks strong. Facing M8e Takarafuji next.

Other San yaku:
O1e Kakaryu (3-1) - On a Yokozuna run, but I'd wait until he starts beating Ozeki and still has 1 loss before even thinking about it
O1w Kotoshogiku (3-1) - Didn't practice due to the shoulder injury, hoping to rack up enough wins against the lower ranks to get kachikochi

Total Bummers:
Both these guys came from way lower ranks from last basho because of so many wrestlers having losing records somehow
M1e Endo (0-4) - Getting destroyed, and even after he's done with Sanyaku ranks, it'll be higher competition than he's used to. During his practice with other sanyaku wrestlers he went like 3-80. Hopefully it will cause the media to evaporate and he can focus on training.
M1w Tamawashi (0-4) - Been in some close matches, but in the end it doesn't matter. Came from M6e.

New guys:
M10w Teranofuji (2-2) - This guy has ripped up through the ranks with only two losing records in his career, and debuts at M10. Super strong. Could probably surpass Endo, or be rival to him.
M12e Chiyomaru - (3-1) - Kicked around lower ranks for a while until he suddenly took steroids over Juryo the past two basho. Looks Good.
M5e Chiyo`ootori - (3-1) - Had his 'real' Makuuchi debut last basho, in almost exactly the same circumstances Chiyomaru is in now. Both from the same heya... hmm. Looks good and if he continues, will be up against sanyaku wrestlers next basho.

Uncle Jam fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Mar 13, 2014