Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah but then he did Ender's Game so that resets all his progress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Waterhaul posted:

Go Marvel and DC.

Congratulations to all the creators that made it happen that either died penniless or are spending their later years in crippling debt or illness.

:toot:

Thank god the creator of Stardust or whatever froze to death on a bench, penniless, because apparently he was a wicked rear end in a top hat.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Zachack posted:

Based on his filmography I would guess he's OK working for cheap.

He appeared in an Uwe Boll movie, apparently because he'd always wanted to play a theatrical vampire with a cape. He'd probably be game.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Kingsley has appeared in a lot of poo poo but even he's still above Agents of SHIELD.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Anyone here going to ECCC this year?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

This whole time I thought Guy Pearce was the Mandarin!

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Madkal posted:

What I am trying to say is that Mavel is creating its own continuity for its live action media output and that can be a hindrance, while DC is doing the exact opposite and it frees them up to be a little more creative.

Maybe Marvel should do shows for characters who aren't well known in the mainstream, like Heroes for Hire or Moon Knight. They could keep them isolated from other interconnected properties and also get them noticed by people who don't read comics.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Action Tortoise posted:

Maybe Marvel should do shows for characters who aren't well known in the mainstream, like Heroes for Hire or Moon Knight. They could keep them isolated from other interconnected properties and also get them noticed by people who don't read comics.

Supposedly that exact thing is happening. http://www.deadline.com/2013/11/disney-netflix-marvel-series/#more-629696

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Agents of SHIELD might not be so bad if the characters weren't utterly dull and/or annoying.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare
There's news that 2000 AD are going to publish a 6 issue mini-series in a US format called "Brass Sun" for the direct market: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=48558

And here's an article from 2000 AD's publishing manager Ben Smith on the subject of how 2000 AD want to expand, and a bit about how comic shops might be the future of that: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=48558

Pretty interesting. After Dredd Underbelly sold out and elicited a very quick reprint order it seems like 2000 AD might expand in to pushing books in the US. I love my Prog and Megazine and don't want to see it change format but it'd be cool to see more US sized books given how well some of IDW's attempts on their properties have went over.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

irlZaphod posted:

Agents of SHIELD might not be so bad if the characters weren't utterly dull and/or annoying.

Yeah that's a big problem, the show hinges on the audience caring about the characters getting imperiled but they are all so uninteresting nobody cares.

Show: Oh no Skye is dying! Care about this! Care about this annoying character! Do it!"

Audience: :geno:

SirDan3k fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Mar 12, 2014

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm probably going to murder the next person who pronounces "Corps" (as in Marine, Gl or Nova) as "Corpse."

I can only takes so much I tells ya.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

What if they are looking for those issues of GLC about the Corpse?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Rhyno posted:

I'm probably going to murder the next person who pronounces "Corps" (as in Marine, Gl or Nova) as "Corpse."

Hey. French is a stupid language.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

irlZaphod posted:

Also they need better hairstyles. Seriously, what is up with having the worst hair on that show? It's appalling.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

CapnAndy posted:

Yeah, I never wanted it to be about superheroes. What I wanted was the guys dealing with all the poo poo the superheroes leave behind; neutralizing rogue Chitari tech, taking down Mandarin/AIM cells that Tony Stark never even bothered to look for, hitting a Cult of Loki that had sprung up, stuff like that.

A sorta similar situation happened in an episode. And it was still a macguffin hunt. This group tracked down a piece of this staff left behind by a berserker grunt from way back when the Asgardians fought here, who didn't actually leave Midgard, and turned out to be Peter MacNicol and holding on to it gave the user super-strength and like, super anger. So the episode was about finding the other two pieces of the staff. The group themselves started causing trouble as a cult of sorts. It was still not a great episode.

And I realize being part of this conversation that I forgot to watch the show tonight. Oh well, I'll catch it online later. Apparently this one finally has some comic book characters in it...Lorelei, sister of the Enchantress, and obsesser over wangs, of all people has shown up, and it looks like Sif is going to come down and kick her rear end a little.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Yeah, I saw that episode. It was good for the ten minutes before it just became "oh here's a stick let's chase after that from nondescript location to nondescript location in our goddamn plane like always".

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Endless Mike posted:

What if they are looking for those issues of GLC about the Corpse?

I highly doubt this idiot is even aware of that. He just walked by the stand reading titles as he went.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I watched a playthrough of the infamously terrible Predator: Concrete Jungle game on youtube, and I was pretty surprised when it listed Grant Morrison as head writer. Itt's the most I've enjoyed something written by him.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

Madkal posted:

Anyone here going to ECCC this year?

Yes.

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

All is, if i have grace to use it so...

Rhyno posted:

To be fair, that is an incredibly stupid way to spell "core".

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dr. MonkeyThunder posted:

Anyone with a 5th grade education and has ever heard of the Marine Corps should be aware of how it is spelled and pronounced.

Yes, even in Indiana.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Take it up with the French.

I was once playing Halo with a guy who hit the rank of "Colonel" and in his excitement shouted "Hey guys, I just made COLL UH NELL." I corrected him--gently, if you'll believe it--and he refused to believe me. Made a big show of getting the dictionary to prove how dumb I am. "I have the dictionary now!" he would shout. "I'm opening it! I'm in the Cs! Here it is and... Oh."

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Why the gently caress would a space organization use a term with such a loaded earth-based etymology, though. That's the real question.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Silent s's and x's are just especially dumb

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Lurdiak posted:

Why the gently caress would a space organization use a term with such a loaded earth-based etymology, though. That's the real question.

I always assumed that's how Hal translates what they call themselves since he's in the military. Like how in that one Alan Moore story there's someone who's never experienced light so they would never know what a lantern is.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Sarchasm posted:

It's dumb even for the French. They added the 'p' because they wanted it to look like corpus.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Lurdiak posted:

Because gently caress you that's why.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Because alien magic wishing ring.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

Sarchasm posted:

I was once playing Halo with a guy who hit the rank of "Colonel" and in his excitement shouted "Hey guys, I just made COLL UH NELL." I corrected him--gently, if you'll believe it--and he refused to believe me. Made a big show of getting the dictionary to prove how dumb I am. "I have the dictionary now!" he would shout. "I'm opening it! I'm in the Cs! Here it is and... Oh."

To be fair the poo poo show surrounding the pronunciation of Colonel in English is all the fault of a bunch of 19th century dudes who liked to get together and jerk it to Latin who decided to change the contemporary spelling to something more 'appropriate', but couldn't swing the largely illiterate populace to change the pronunciation as well. Honestly your friend has more sense then they did.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare
This might be a long shot (not sure what the 2000 AD readership is like on here) but can anyone tell me what the latest subscription gift was for Dredd Megazine #345? It seems to be a Strontium Dogs collection but I can't find anywhere online that actually talks about it? I'd imagine most review joints just get the basic book and not the subscriber extras.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Hey scrubs go buy this at your comic store. It's cool beans.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TheManWithNoName posted:

Hey scrubs go buy this at your comic store. It's cool beans.

I just bought the Locke & Key Vol.6 with slipcase or I would've snagged that one today. Gotta wait til the next paycheck.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Yeah. If you aren't giving all your cash to David Lapham today, you're living wrong.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Teenage Fansub posted:

Yeah. If you aren't giving all your cash to David Lapham today, you're living wrong.

I said next week!

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Rhyno posted:

I think I mentioned this last time you brought it up, but I was in the Marine Corps for 6 years. You would be surprised how many marines pronounce it wrong. We are pretty dumb.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

you say kernel, i say colonel

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Do they have left-enants in the Green Lantern Corpse?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

prefect posted:

Do they have left-enants in the Green Lantern Corpse?

Yeah, but that was only Sinestro.

• Locked thread