Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
I for one am shocked that a bunch of people who already have Medicare don't like the ACA.

By the time November rolls around, ACA will have started to impact people's lives. I'd be surprised if every swing Dem can't find an adorable 8-year-old cancer patient whose life was saved by the ACA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

The X-man cometh posted:

By the time November rolls around, ACA will have started to impact people's lives. I'd be surprised if every swing Dem can't find an adorable 8-year-old cancer patient whose life was saved by the ACA.

This is exactly the new marketing strategy for the Minnesota exchange. All the ads now are dopey personal interest stories about "I'm saving $600 dollars a month" and such.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
how long until the GOP tries to take credit for the ACA?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

FlamingLiberal posted:

Unbelievable that Sink managed to pull defeat from the jaws of victory yet again.

I don't know if this is sarcasm but it was almost a given from the get-go. She's a godawful campaigner despite having a somewhat decent résumé. It's like Martha Coakley's problem except Sink got whooped once already, probably had people tell her she needed to fix her campaigning inadequacies, and then refused to try to do so, thus losing an election that by all means should have been all but a cakewalk. Coakley at least had an excuse in that she assumed (with precedent) Mass would just vote for the party and not the candidate.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Where can I go to find out actual info on my states candidates? The candidate websites are obviously going to leave a lot out and I'd like to know where each person stands. Natalie Tennant and Shelly Moore Capito are my choices.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

FAUXTON posted:

I don't know if this is sarcasm but it was almost a given from the get-go. She's a godawful campaigner despite having a somewhat decent résumé. It's like Martha Coakley's problem except Sink got whooped once already, probably had people tell her she needed to fix her campaigning inadequacies, and then refused to try to do so, thus losing an election that by all means should have been all but a cakewalk. Coakley at least had an excuse in that she assumed (with precedent) Mass would just vote for the party and not the candidate.
She should have had the advantage here and still blew it. That's on her and her people. At least it wasn't a Dem seat already.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

FAUXTON posted:

Coakley's running again, this time for governor :cripes:

I can only hope her staff sat her down, showed her all the poo poo she did during the special election for Senator, and went "See this poo poo? DON'T DO IT!"

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Where can I go to find out actual info on my states candidates? The candidate websites are obviously going to leave a lot out and I'd like to know where each person stands. Natalie Tennant and Shelly Moore Capito are my choices.

Ballotpedia.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Alter Ego posted:

I can only hope her staff sat her down, showed her all the poo poo she did during the special election for Senator, and went "See this poo poo? DON'T DO IT!"

Well there's running and then there's just being on the ballot :v:

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Alter Ego posted:

At least it's a contested primary this time.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Dave Weigel has a pretty good writeup on the FL-13 race.

Basically, both candidates sucked, and Obamacare wasn't really a factor, despite what the national media and GOP will say.

dilbertschalter
Jan 12, 2010

Ballz posted:

Dave Weigel has a pretty good writeup on the FL-13 race.

Basically, both candidates sucked, and Obamacare wasn't really a factor, despite what the national media and GOP will say.

I wouldn't say it suggests that Obamacare "wasn't really a factor." Sink is a former statewide official and was running against an inept lobbyist. That's not to say that she was a a significantly better candidate, but the idea that it somehow all about voters preferring Jolly to her is a bit dubious and still seems driven by a desire to explain away a bad result. With Coakley campaign there was the Curt Schilling "joke," generally not caring, and literally misspelling the name of the state in an ad. While it's similarly illogical to say that Sink lost "because of" Obamacare, it doesn't seem to be much of a stretch to suggest that a policy that is both unpopular and the subject of frequent media coverage could at least have an effect.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Some effect? Sure. The defining reason? Absolutely not.

In other news I'm hearing that apparently on a Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee conference call this morning, the general line of thinking was... let's get Alex Sink to try this again in November. :stare:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Ballz posted:

Some effect? Sure. The defining reason? Absolutely not.

In other news I'm hearing that apparently on a Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee conference call this morning, the general line of thinking was... let's get Alex Sink to try this again in November. :stare:
Lol what

That has to be a joke

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

FlamingLiberal posted:

Lol what

That has to be a joke
Jesus. Is the FL Dem bench that empty?

* looks at who they're running for governor *

Well, poo poo.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

"I hope she will, because of this. This district will be competitive in November," (DCCC Chairman Steve Israel) said on MSNBC's Daily Rundown. "This district in a regular election, not a special election in the midterm, but even a regular midterm election, will be in play. We feel good about our prospects here. And I hope that she does run again, because she did an extraordinary job."

DCCC also reports: Democrats can compete in this heavily Republican district!

:shepicide:

Ballz fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Mar 12, 2014

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Do special elections have a Republican bias compared to standard elections in a similar way that midterms have a Republican bias compared to Presidential elections?

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

After doing some reading I think I'm going to Vote for Natalie Tennant, certainly better the Capito. I might even put a sign up! (gently caress bumper stickers)

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

evilweasel posted:

Do special elections have a Republican bias compared to standard elections in a similar way that midterms have a Republican bias compared to Presidential elections?

I believe they follow the same "lower turnout = more old whiteys" formula, yes. I'm glad I live in a state that only has one primary and one general election, and they're always on the same days.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Oh, and even though I've been registered since 18 this will be the first time I actually get to wait in line to vote! I've had to vote via mail previously. Even though it's months away, I'm excited.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

In 2006-2008, all the house Republicans from New England were unseated. To the best of my knowledge, though, a significant chunk of the Democrats elected were blue dogs, in places like Indiana (Joe Donnelly in South Bend, for instance, and the other two would lose their seats in 2010) and Tom De Lay's old seat.

Regardless of their positions on other social issues, they did immediately give congress the votes to approve and override a veto of a hike in the minimum wage. And that Pelosi House from 2008-2010 that passed so much relied on a lot of Blue Dogs even to get to 218. Opposition to abortion isn't synonymous to opposition to a minimum wage hike or jobs spending. A lot of those BDs still came from culturally conservative areas where the New Deal still looms large (WV, TN, VA, part of AL and MS).

And let's not forget ostensible liberals like Jared Polis and much of the urban Western and Northeastern delegations who are big deregulators but get a pass because of their cultural politics.

As for FL-13: word on the ground from a friend who worked for Jessica Ehrlich was that much of her supporters felt stiffed by the DCCC and FL Dems after running close in 2012 despite much recognition, and the fact that Sink was encouraged to move in there to run basically did her in on volunteers. The work done in 2012 was basically ignored.

De Nomolos fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Mar 12, 2014

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
This was a special election in an R+1 district with a 1.88% vote difference between the candidates. That's basically a coin toss.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

Joementum posted:

This was a special election in an R+1 district with a 1.88% vote difference between the candidates. That's basically a coin toss.

But was there another election yesterday? I think not. Therefore, it must be treated as a bellwether.

In further news: Walker tied in latest Rasmussen poll. He's damaged and they better be ready to spend against him now. Heck, wonder how he'd be doing against someone with a past as more than a patronage appointee?

De Nomolos fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Mar 12, 2014

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
I'd say turnout is normally an issue, but they managed to drag out 39% or so of the registered voters to a special election. Which isn't that great to be sure, but there you go.

Sink isn't a Coakley, but she does specialize in the electoral Zeno paradox.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

evilweasel posted:

They are (essentially) modeled the same as a midterm election that isn't 2010.

Also Coakley isn't that bad.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Mooseontheloose posted:

Well sure. Her terrible campaign eventually bore the fruit of Senator Elizabeth Warren

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Rygar201 posted:

Well sure. Her terrible campaign eventually bore the fruit of Senator Elizabeth Warren

Republicans have won state wide in Massachusetts an as the recent Markey/Gomez campaign proved, it's close than people think. 2010 was a weird year and Coakley is fairly liberal. Trust me, this will be much different than 2010 with her.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Mooseontheloose posted:

Republicans have won state wide in Massachusetts an as the recent Markey/Gomez campaign proved, it's close than people think. 2010 was a weird year and Coakley is fairly liberal. Trust me, this will be much different than 2010 with her.

If she hasn't learned her lesson from the last time she campaigned, she probably doesn't need to be in politics anyway.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

edit: ignore me. Dumb post.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
These are all videos posted by the McConnell campaign in the last couple days.

(If you quote this post, please edit out the videos so that the page doesn't take forever to load.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrdTX8m5G98

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSWP49aUjzk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBsjK71HpA0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tb_1aKKLAXg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x65ocFN5H6U

Joementum fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Mar 13, 2014

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Mooseontheloose posted:

She's a fantastic AG, but she sucks as a candidate for any office where she has to win public support by actually campaigning. Now, to be fair, I don't know how much of that was her advisors looking at the 30-point lead she had on Brown out of the primaries and saying "Yeah, you're fine. Don't rock the boat", but the fact remains that when she did actually get her rear end in gear she was AWFUL. Don't forget her deriding Scott Brown for standing outside Fenway and shaking hands in the cold.

And it's not that close. Markey won a special election where turnout was like 30% by 10 percentage points. Imagine how he'd have done if turnout was 10-15% higher.

Fritz Coldcockin fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Mar 13, 2014

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

Joementum posted:

These are all videos posted by the McConnell campaign in the last couple days.

Ok, I assume that this is somehow taking a page from that weird Herman Cain ad with the smoking man in trying to go viral.

Ok, here's the explanation: http://www.slate.com/blogs/weigel/2014/03/12/mitch_mcconnell_s_campaign_is_aware_that_you_are_laughing_at_it.html

Clip 1 was meant as b-roll. The others were attempts for them to get in on the joke. See? Yertle is a funny guy too!

It would help if the mere image of McConnell on its own didn't solicit laughter already.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The Bevin campaign figured out that you can put whatever text you want over b-roll.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpszOyKI1RM

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

De Nomolos posted:

It would help if the mere image of McConnell on its own didn't solicit laughter already.

Seriously, I thought it was anti-Mitch ad until the paid for bit. Who thought releasing two minutes of the candidate doing nothing but looking like a goddamn turtle was a good idea.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Couldn't they at least have gotten video of him, I don't know, doing something? It's just two minutes of him doddering around like an old man and occasionally fumbling with some paperwork.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Ever see an action shot of a turtle?

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Your move. :colbert:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Wanamingo posted:

Your move. :colbert:

Looks more like an action drawing to me. :colbert:

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Fuckin check it, this baller rear end motherfuck's got pussy ridin on him. Tell me that aint a turtle that you wouldn't vote for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Senator Teacher Jeanne Shaheen better have some good documentation on her Lebanese heritage because an AP reporter has sources confirming that The Next Scott Brown will launch his Senate exploratory committee tomorrow.

• Locked thread