Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Forums Barber
Jan 5, 2011
I've had a couple cool tactical fights in *World but yeah, I know it's not for everybody. You're not actually done with the whole fight after one roll unless you choose to do it that way (and I wouldn't). Dungeon World kind of changes up the format enough that I think people sometimes think AW is like that but w/e.

It's a matter of what stakes are each time you use the mechanics -- the example combats from the book show that pretty well IMO. Yeah after one roll the situation might change a lot, but then you do another round, like you would in d&d. the main difference is that somebody can call 'uncle' at the end of any round which i guess you could do in d&d but nobody does.

TBH most of the people I play with these days would be fine with like Fiasco or something even lighter, so if we're talking like 3.x D&D style complexity I'll just bow out, I haven't played games like that in a long rear end time. Most of the people I play with are casual as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Gau posted:

No it was literally just an appeal to people who liked Keep at the Borderlands because they just copied a piece of Keep on the Borderlands (the Caves of Chaos) and sorta-kinda updated the rules.

You could light things on fire in the adventure, but there were no rules for what fire did in the playtest rules.

That's kind of worse, to be honest. Most of those old pre-gen adventures were garbage.

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara
If you're out to kill the other guys there's usually an exchange of blows for a bit, but if you're after a specific thing you can sometimes get it in one roll if you'd like to, and usually you're not just fighting to kill the other dude in AW.

Forums Barber
Jan 5, 2011

Nihnoz posted:

If you're out to kill the other guys there's usually an exchange of blows for a bit, but if you're after a specific thing you can sometimes get it in one roll if you'd like to, and usually you're not just fighting to kill the other dude in AW.

Yeah that's what I like about what vincent did with *world, it's real clear that hey maybe i might decide loving blowing this dudes head off isn't what i want to do after all, but i sure could. the games hella deadly and so you're encouraged to figure out where you want to draw the line in inchar behavior.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

A bundle of orphaned Goblin babies.

tended by a reformed succubus

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Cease to Hope posted:

tended by a reformed succubus

Blessed by a Neutral Deity.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Blessed by a Neutral Deity.

okay you win

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Cease to Hope posted:

okay you win

It's me, I'm the worst GM.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.
Also being drunk gave you a minus to hit, but reduced damage you took. Since wizards cast spells, which don't hit, it was like real life where the best wizard was a drunk wizard.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Ulta posted:

Also being drunk gave you a minus to hit, but reduced your damage. Since wizards cast spells, which don't hit, it was like real life where the best wizard was a drunk wizard.

i'm not seeing how this is in any way a problem

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.

Cease to Hope posted:

your damage reduction is 1d6 and you have to roll it every time you get hit by one of those rats

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.
See, I really like that sort of tourney-module stuff. When my dudes walked into a mess hall in an orc barracks and there are 3d12 orc soldiers in the room, they ran like hell and came up with a plan. And it was great.

I also ran Keep on the Borderlands from the original, and just used the statblocks from the playtest.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Cease to Hope posted:

up 18d6 Damage reduction rolls following 36d20 rat attack rolls.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

up 18d6 Damage reduction rolls following 36d20 rat attack rolls.

lol if you don't carry a bag with a kilo of dice and a calculator for games

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
The forum move was unironically the best thing that has ever happened to this lovely thread.

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
pumpkin is a new world crop and breaks my versimilitude

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

stoutfish posted:

pumpkin is a new world crop and breaks my versimilitude

poe-tay-toes

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

winson change the name of the tradgames forum to dndoobie's storygaming house

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Plutonis posted:

winson change the name of the tradgames forum to dndoobie's storygaming house

LSTB
Nov 13, 2000

swamp izzo posted:

Zeb The Moron.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Plutonis posted:

why the gently caress would they make the rat infested cellar a part of the playtesting other than irony

Because Mike Mearls. I don't know why Mike Mearls, but he does.

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

That's kind of worse, to be honest. Most of those old pre-gen adventures were garbage.

Caves of Chaos is pretty sweet if you run it a very particular way (as, like, a neighborhood where whatever you do in one place affects all the other residents and you just kind of improv what sorts of poo poo the PCs stir up), but is pretty poo poo if you just take it room by room. It's a really good trainer module for a style of play that almost nobody uses any more, but the playtest did noooooot do a good job of explaining/understanding that.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Father Wendigo posted:

Having playtested the last packet on Murder in Baulder's Gate, I can't imagine how the hell you managed to make combat fast in Next. It's about as fast as early levels in 4e, with the added complication of people playing combat in the most painfully conservative fashion imagineable because of how fragile characters are and how it's still a goddamned pain in the rear end to make a new character. Seriously, I'm at a loss to think of how!
Oh. :geno:

D&D Next: If you ignore a quarter or so of the rules it kinda(?) works!
They yell "Theatre of the mind!!!" and "Gridless combat!!!"

Then they give ranges in feet. And movement speeds. And areas of effect. All measured in feet.

Theatre of the mind!!!

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

swamp izzo posted:

Zeb The Moron.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
the inherent disparity between "can i see him" and "can i reach him" rules

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Ferrinus posted:

the inherent disparity between "can i see him" and "can i reach him" rules
let us enshrine the sacred concept of asking "can i put my fireball in a way where it hits all the enemies and none of us?" blind, forevermore

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Splicer posted:

They yell "Theatre of the mind!!!" and "Gridless combat!!!"

Then they give ranges in feet. And movement speeds. And areas of effect. All measured in feet.

Theatre of the mind!!!

Anything else would break their verisimilitude.

...Uh, that's not me making a joke, that's what would actually occur if they tried to use narrative distances.

Anyways the best thing about the Next playtest with the rats was that WotC's response to it was to ban online playtesting and demand people stop pointing out those flaws.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

ProfessorCirno posted:

Anyways the best thing about the Next playtest with the rats was that WotC's response to it was to ban online playtesting and demand people stop pointing out those flaws.

Is our playtest still online somewhere? I'd ask Mikan, but...yeah.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Gau posted:

Is our playtest still online somewhere? I'd ask Mikan, but...yeah.
A) Does anyone know why he autobanned himself?
B) Unless I'm very much mistaken, he is not/is no longer banned (avatar is still his anime face man).

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
Turbo Dracula and that character who thinks they were a bird was the best thing about that playtest.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Splicer posted:

Unless I'm very much mistaken, he is not/is no longer banned (avatar is still his anime face man).

you are, autobanning doesn't remove your avatar

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Cease to Hope posted:

you are, autobanning doesn't remove your avatar
well question A still stands.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Splicer posted:

:iiam:

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

Splicer posted:

Aslan raised his head and shook his mane. Instantly a glorious feast appeared on the Dwarfs’ knees: pies and tongues and pigeons and trifles and ices, and each Dwarf had a goblet of good wine in his right hand. But it wasn’t much use. They began eating and drinking greedily enough, but it was clear that they couldn’t taste it properly. They thought they were eating and drinking only the sort of things you might find in a stable. One said he was trying to eat hay and another said he had got a bit of an old turnip and a third said he’d found a raw cabbage leaf. And they raised golden goblets of rich red wine to their lips and said “Ugh! Fancy drinking dirty water out of a trough that a donkey’s been at! Never thought we’d come to this.” But very soon every Dwarf began suspecting that every other Dwarf had found something nicer than he had, and they started grabbing and snatching, and went on to quarreling, till in a few minutes there was a free fight and all the good food was smeared on their faces and clothes or trodden under foot. But when at last they sat down to nurse their black eyes and their bleeding noses, they all said:

“Well, at any rate there’s no Humbug here. We haven’t let anyone take us in. The Dwarfs are for the Dwarfs.”

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Gau was framed

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Splicer posted:

A) Does anyone know why he autobanned himself?
B) Unless I'm very much mistaken, he is not/is no longer banned (avatar is still his anime face man).

He had to refund everyone who purchased from his SAmart thread because of complications to his house move. He didn't go into detail, but it sounded like something had come up. I assume it's related to the moving thing. Bit disappointing since I was looking forward to that copy of Gamma World and Paraonia. Don't know why this would lead him to autobanning himself, but it would explain why he has been sparse.

Ferrinus posted:

frankly next probably gives fighters more executive power because they can at least try to do their lovely maneuvers without first praying they roll evens or something

I will definitely agree the maneuvers in 13th Age are underwhelming, but I do feel that it's a relative thing. While other classes do get more utility as time goes on, it is relatively less gonzo than the curve is in NEXT. There is disparity and a level 10 spellcaster has more narrative control than a level 10 Fighter, but the difference between abilities, when compared to the last public Next playtest, seems smaller. I say seems because 13th Age campaign hasn't reach that level yet and no one local wanted to run Next so this is just observation from me taking glances at both sets of rules.

Edit:

01011001 posted:

i like the part where there is literally one maneuver that keys off odd rolls
This is why I house rule the game to include more of them. It is so stupid that their own advice on maneuver selection is useless unless you house rule.

Covok fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Mar 13, 2014

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2577428/Werewolf-enthusiast-44-groomed-teenage-girls-join-slayer-covenant.html larp.txt

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Even in shitposting forums don't link the dailymail.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Even in shitposting forums don't link the dailymail.

lol its gr8 how everyone on TG were 'ewww daily mail' and didn't even bothered to click and look at this crazy retard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Covok posted:

He had to refund everyone who purchased from his SAmart thread because of complications to his house move. He didn't go into detail, but it sounded like something had come up. I assume it's related to the moving thing. Bit disappointing since I was looking forward to that copy of Gamma World and Paraonia. Don't know why this would lead him to autobanning himself, but it would explain why he has been sparse.
Maybe Mrs Mikan or equivalent autobanned him so he'd spend more time moving and less time posting.

• Locked thread