Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gravefront
Feb 5, 2014

by Ralp

rarbatrol posted:

I'm picturing a big gross rubber film on top of everything.

What if you were to

and hear me out

what if you were to take a ziploc bag

a really big one

and just

sorta

slide the keyboard into it and uh

boy I hope it's a bluetooth keyboard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Anyone have an idea of how long Corsair takes to restock their keyboards? I've been waiting almost a month for brown switch K70s to be restocked on Amazon. That particular keyboard is sold out everywhere.

Bhm
Apr 18, 2002

"I died a mineral, and became a plant. I died a plant and rose an animal. I died an animal and I was man. Why should I fear? When was I less by dying?"
Review of Xtrfy XG1-r LED + Max Keyboards translucent keycap set + WASD keyboards red O-ring dampeners:

The Keyboard [105 key nordic layout):

*Cherry MX Reds
*Dedicated volume keys
*WinKey lockout
*Macros (4x quick, 3 timing + looping)
*Braided cable sleeve
*Detachable cable
*No loving drivers
*White LEDs with red LEDs on caps/num/scroll/lockout
*LED effects on key presses (optional)
*Selectable LED brightness (separate for effects and backlights)

I was looking for a backlit keyboard with macro functionality, MX reds and dedicated media keys without any loving headphone jacks or USB ports etc. No gaudy looks, simple and black. This keyboard matched my criteria almost to a t.
Very solid, heavy with useful extra functions. VERY well built, muted design and no creaking what so ever. I really love the brightness of the LEDs and the fact that it has no crappy drivers what so ever. No USB ports, no headphone jack or any other nonsense. Solid all around with a sober look.

Pros (excluding the above):
+No god damned stabilizer bars on the keycaps
+No drivers
+Nice LED effects

Cons:
-Takes a while to get used to the extra row on top of the F-keys
I managed to miss the ESC-key and hit the fn-key above it the first day or so.
-No play/pause/stop buttons
This one irks me... why not add those to extra buttons and tack on a bit on the price tag? :psyduck:

All in all, 5/5. Love the gently caress out of it.

Max Keyboards translucent keycaps (frontside print):

Fast shipping to Scandinavia, shockingly enough. Beautiful when backlit. Installation is like any other keycaps. Kind of disappointed in the lack of umlaut keys/addon pack for Nordic keyboard layouts. They also included a bunch of extra novelty keycaps and a nice plastic keycap puller with 90-degree points for nice grip. All in all, a very good "shopping experience". The print is nice and subdued which gives the keyboard a nice minimalistic look. 4.5/5

WASD keyboards red O-ring dampeners:
They are great, no real noticeable reduction in key travel. Silences the last bit of 'clack' which I'd say reduces the noise audibly. Also the keys become a bit softer to type on. You also get about 10 extras in the pack. Well worth the money.

Conclusion:
The keyboard is loving sex to type on with the dampeners installed. Installation is easy but tedious but you only have to do it once. All in all, I love my new setup to bits. I like the level of "gaudiness" with the backlight on. I prefer the keycaps to do the talking, not the keyboard itself. The demo function is also cool to show off the keyboard to friends in the know :jerkbag:

Bhm fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Mar 12, 2014

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

For you Corsair K90 owners out there:

Anyone else have problems flashing the drat firmware on the thing? I'm trying to do so on a Windows 8.1 x64 computer, and I had difficulty with the directions in the relevant thread: http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=104856

Love the feel and look of this keyboard, the ease of cleaning it, and the volume thumb wheel... and the macro software isn't terrible, but flashing the firmware on this thing shouldn't be such a pain in the rear end. Couldn't do so under my Win 7 x64 computer either.

(And if this was handled earlier in the thread, mind pointing me to the page(s)? I haven't purchased search functionality yet)

Thanks!

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug
Hey, I'd posted about buying the MS Ergo Sculpt keyboard and was pretty jazzed about it. Great form factor, keys beat the pants off the MS4000. Just posting now to say that when typing quickly (75+ WPM), it sometimes retains or duplicates keypresses. I'll contact tech support about it tomorrow, but it'd be good for any prospective buyers here to know. It seems to be tied to fast typing within a local cluster, particularly -ING words. Some examples:

outstandinng outstandining outstanding outstandinng outstandining
feelinggs feelinings feelings feelinngs feelinings
dealinngs dealinngs dealinings dealinngs dealinings dealinngs
clowning clownining clowning
sharinng sharinng sharinng sharinng
sometmmes sometmimes sometimes sometiems sometmmies sometimimes
having havinng having having having havinng havinng

Pretty nasty bug if this isn't a weird fluke. I didn't run across this when searchinng(sic) reviews, and it's weird havining(sic) to artificially slow my typing. Makes it tough to get in the groove for prolonged typing.

Electrophotonic
Mar 14, 2010

They're gonna stop
Saturday night
So you better have fun now
I PREDICT

Bhm posted:

Cons:
-Takes a while to get used to the extra row on top of the F-keys
I managed to miss the ESC-key and hit the fn-key above it the first day or so.

It's a nice touch that the Macro keys default to their corresponding F key, and that tapping the Fn button send the Esc keycode. I was happy with mine and used the macro keys to replace awkward key combos in older games, but then I got into 60% boards and it's just feels far too big on the desk now.

Bhm
Apr 18, 2002

"I died a mineral, and became a plant. I died a plant and rose an animal. I died an animal and I was man. Why should I fear? When was I less by dying?"

Electrophotonic posted:

It's a nice touch that the Macro keys default to their corresponding F key, and that tapping the Fn button send the Esc keycode. I was happy with mine and used the macro keys to replace awkward key combos in older games, but then I got into 60% boards and it's just feels far too big on the desk now.

Yeah, you're right. I forgot that part.

Anyway, how's using a tenkeyless? I mean when bills and poo poo has to be awful. I can't imagine punching in numbers without the numpad :(

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Bhm posted:

Yeah, you're right. I forgot that part.

Anyway, how's using a tenkeyless? I mean when bills and poo poo has to be awful. I can't imagine punching in numbers without the numpad :(

I have learned to touchtype numbers since switching to TKL boards three years ago. Having a tenkey is still pretty useful when you do it day in and out, but otherwise it's not that big of a deal, especially when you get used to having your board and mouse hand so close to each other.

Gravefront
Feb 5, 2014

by Ralp
I never got into the habit of using the numpad, so TKL for me was fantastic in pretty much every way.

I doubt my father'd enjoy it much, since he's an accountant.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
Up until a few years ago I didn't care much about what keyboard I had, despite having played FPS's since the late 90's. Then I started to seriously out-type the every day standard keyboard, especially in frantic messages for MMO's of all things. I picked up a Microsoft Sidewinder X4 at the time and it solved my problem. I felt like I could go sledding on it and it would pick up all the keystrokes.

But I never see it recommended anywhere, and I wonder if there are better options out there. Simultaneous keystrokes are important to me (although I'd say 26 is excessive) but doing so accurately is even more important to me. I left my Sidewinder in Korea on accident :( so I picked up a clearance Call of Duty 4 (lol) Logitech G105 for $30 and figured it'd be good enough.

But now it's not. It's clearly not picking up the occasional letter. I don't mind spending money on a keyboard since it's important, but I really, really don't want to spend money on extra features over keyboard quality. I have never used any extra key or button on a keyboard other than the standard keyboard buttons. I really seriously can't see the point in a LCD screen for me, etc. Are there any more or less basic, but high quality, non-mechanical keyboard recommendations? The only bling I like on a keyboard is backlit keys, color unimportant.

I just noticed the sidewinder is down to $50 which frankly makes it a really good deal now, but if I had to gripe the palmrest sucked rear end on it. Plus I don't mind spending money on a keyboard but I'm having a hard time with my requirements (well, having a hard time since I don't know a whole lot of keyboards).

Edit: if it matters at all, if I sit and focus on accuracy I type at 140 wpm. However in games when spelling isnt nearly as important as the message I know it spikes higher than that. The G105 can't deal with the inevitable mashing this involves

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Been researching mechanical boards for a while now and I want to buy a tester.

https://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/wasd-sampler-kit.html#ad-image-0

Does anyone know if this comes with some sort of board/surface to test the keys on? The Max Keyboard sampler has a surface so I might have to go with that one to try them out.

http://www.maxkeyboard.com/max-keyboard-keycap-cherry-mx-switch-o-ring-sampler-kit.html

Anyways, I am pretty sure I have narrowed it down to Reds or Browns, but I want to feel them and hear the noise levels.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Does anyone know if this comes with some sort of board/surface to test the keys on? The Max Keyboard sampler has a surface so I might have to go with that one to try them out.

I think you get exactly what you see in the picture - switches, caps, o-rings.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Thom P. Tiers posted:

http://www.maxkeyboard.com/max-keyboard-keycap-cherry-mx-switch-o-ring-sampler-kit.html

Anyways, I am pretty sure I have narrowed it down to Reds or Browns, but I want to feel them and hear the noise levels.

Keep in mind that bare switches like that aren't going to be as loud as when they are mounted on a keyboard. There's an echoing/drumlike effect that comes with plate mounting them.

OnymousCoward
Feb 19, 2014
If you can get hold of one the QWERkeys tester is pretty cool, nice range of switches and it's plate mounted as well.

Electrophotonic
Mar 14, 2010

They're gonna stop
Saturday night
So you better have fun now
I PREDICT

Bhm posted:

Just solve it in the most excessive way, get a mechanical tenkeypad and use it once a month :v:

angus725
Jan 5, 2014

As a programmer, I cant live without my beloved delete, insert, home and end keys.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Some people swear by 60%s with navigation keys/editing keys on a layer, some people can't stand layers. I'm not a fan unless it's fully programmable so you can make layers that suit your needs. I have home/end/delete and brackets accessible by thumbs on my Dox, for instance. Programmable firmware is awesome in general, though it requires buying a controller replacement for most keyboards.

Guerrand
Mar 12, 2006

RING RING RING RING RING RING
The CM Quick Fire Rapid with brown switches (tenkeyless) is in stock at Newegg for $60 after $10 rebate. They can go as low as $45 but it's the lowest they've been since October I think.

Nthman
Nov 3, 2004

Creepy
Im looking to finally replace my Logitech G11 with a new mechanical keyboard. I tried out my friends Razer Black Widow but I gather from this thread that they arent the best. What are the recommended keyboards for around 100 give or take 20 bucks with decent backlighting? Seems the list from the OP has some suggestions from a year or two back.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Electrophotonic posted:

Just solve it in the most excessive way, get a Topre tenkeypad and use it once a month :v:

FTFY

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I used the Coolermaster demo board and it worked pretty well for me. You get green and clear switches to test, but sadly no o-rings.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Electrophotonic posted:

Just solve it in the most excessive way, get a mechanical tenkeypad and use it once a month :v:

I haven't gotten around to it, but this is exactly what I'm planning on doing, except I'd just scoot the tenkey over and set the mouse in the middle. The ergonomics of having the letter keys straight in line with you and your mouse still in line with your right hand is too good to give up once you've done things that way for a while... but the tenkey configuration is invaluable for inputting more than two numbers at once. Best of both worlds!

Just for the record I post in games a lot and generally obsess over small details of this or that game mechanic, but nothing, nothing makes me feel more spergy than talking about ergonomic keyboard configurations and finding the perfect mechanical key/o-ring combination, hah.

What have you done to me goons. What hast thou wrought.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

GreatGreen posted:

What have you done to me goons. What hast thou wrought.

One of us... one of us....

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

Nthman posted:

Im looking to finally replace my Logitech G11 with a new mechanical keyboard. I tried out my friends Razer Black Widow but I gather from this thread that they arent the best. What are the recommended keyboards for around 100 give or take 20 bucks with decent backlighting? Seems the list from the OP has some suggestions from a year or two back.

You really can't go wrong with a CM board. I have the Quickfire Pro with Browns at work, and if I didn't need the audio jacks on my Max Nighthawk X8 at home I'd probably switch the two.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Schiavona posted:

You really can't go wrong with a CM board. I have the Quickfire Pro with Browns at work, and if I didn't need the audio jacks on my Max Nighthawk X8 at home I'd probably switch the two.

What do you like better on the quickfire over the nighthawk? Currently deciding between those two basically.

Amber Alert
Aug 28, 2009

fuk cyka

I have a 2012 Razer BW Ultimate. Glossy keys are honestly my biggest complaint. I love the positioning of the macro keys, it's pretty big and bulky (big hands, this is a plus), and Razer Synapse is pretty cool, being cloud storage for all my macros and settings for all Razer products. If you do actually move your gear around with any regularity, it's pretty drat handy.

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

Thom P. Tiers posted:

What do you like better on the quickfire over the nighthawk? Currently deciding between those two basically.

I could be wrong since I don't have them both right in front of me (though I'm pretty sure I'm not), but I think the keys on the nighthawk are a bit smaller, and smaller than keyboards I've used in the past. I have big hands, and I end up missing keys more than I'd like in games. I was able to just start typing with my regular accuracy with the quickfire pretty much immediately. I also like the ability to keep the quickfire in permanent fn keys = media keys mode and not have to hold down function like I do on the max.

They're not major concerns at all, and mostly stem from me being a lazy giant. If you are a motivated regular size person you'd be well served by either.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

The CM should have come with a few spare red keycaps. If you stick those on your Max it should be easier to see if they really different sizes. I can't imagine the spacing of the keys is non-standard.

Darilian
Jun 14, 2007
Just picked up a CM Storm Quickfire Rapid in Browns. Been great so far. Some of the keys (backspace, enter) have been kinda rough/squeaky. Should I pick up some "SuperLube" to resolve that? Is that generally the recommended course of action?

TJChap2840
Sep 24, 2009
I really wanted to jump on the NewEgg deal for the Rapid but there are way to many reviews stating keys either came unresponsive or became unresponsive within the first year.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Darilian posted:

Just picked up a CM Storm Quickfire Rapid in Browns. Been great so far. Some of the keys (backspace, enter) have been kinda rough/squeaky. Should I pick up some "SuperLube" to resolve that? Is that generally the recommended course of action?
Yeah, or possibly just give it a few days and see if goes away on its own. It should have some grease applied from the factory so it could just use some action to work it around. That synthetic grease or any generic white lithium grease will do the job.

On a quickfire Rapid those keys will have costar stabilizers, so pay attention to pulling the keys because they don't just come straight off like the other keys. This pictorial shows you how they are put together and some methods to take them off, though I went a different method using small needlenose pliers. Being careful not to bend the wire or break the tabs is the important thing.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug
MS Ergo Sculpt false alarm:

sweart gliwere posted:

Hey, I'd posted about buying the MS Ergo Sculpt keyboard and was pretty jazzed about it. Great form factor, keys beat the pants off the MS4000. Just posting now to say that when typing quickly (75+ WPM), it sometimes retains or duplicates keypresses.
...(snip)

Turns out it's only supported officially in software for 7.0 and higher. It was apparently due to me running it on Vista (I literally couldn't install the packed-in MS stuff), or through my monitor's USB ports, or both. Now that I'm using 8.1, it's safe to type >90WPM again!

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
I decided to join the mechanical club:

Edit: Nevermind.

KingEup fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Mar 20, 2014

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
One of the more bizarre setups I've seen in my life.

Gravefront
Feb 5, 2014

by Ralp
The lack of space for legs is what would kill me in that situation.

Also, is there any particular reason people get the ~YELLOW~ keyboards? Does it serve any purpose other than being aesthetically pleasing to some?

Like, I honestly don't know if there's something I'm missing.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I knew an art major in college, painted the entire house eye-melting bright green, contrasted with bright yellows, blues and dark wood tones.

That computer looks like it's primary purpose is as a TV

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Gravefront posted:

The lack of space for legs is what would kill me in that situation.

Also, is there any particular reason people get the ~YELLOW~ keyboards? Does it serve any purpose other than being aesthetically pleasing to some?

Like, I honestly don't know if there's something I'm missing.

How could keyboard color be anything BUT an aesthetic choice?

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Gravefront posted:

Also, is there any particular reason people get the ~YELLOW~ keyboards?

I wanted it to match my bathtub toys (not pictured).

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

wa27 posted:

If you go backpacking with your keyboard and drop it it's easier to find on the ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravefront
Feb 5, 2014

by Ralp

wa27 posted:

I'm new to this whole keyboard thing, and my neckbeard has a long way to go yet

I usually run with the whole glass-and-brushed-aluminium aesthetic, being a pretentious Apple user

edit sorry, forgot to add a "pretentious" to that

Gravefront fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Mar 20, 2014

• Locked thread