Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inspector Zenigata
Jul 19, 2010

---

Inspector Zenigata fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Apr 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
For me, the hallmark of a troper's "memorable villain" is always the personal quote (or quotes, plural, if you're unlucky) which completely fails at being anything but pathetic. They always read like someone with a bad memory trying to recite a line from their favourite fansubbed anime where the "purity of the original Japanese" was prioritized over any sort of readability or flow.

That and the fact that they're pretty much always umpty-billion years old.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Inspector Zenigata posted:

Somebody doesn't know about anachronistic swords/gigantic swords no human could carry.
He's subtly inhuman, you see.

lucythenomad
Mar 6, 2012
Has anyone tackled this page yet? Basically, it's 34 pages (if you copy it into Word) of tropers discussing about how fictional characters are shipped with inanimate objects. Some of it is just "Hey, that guy from How I Met Your Mother really likes his suit collection", but the there is stuff like:

Cargo Ship posted:

Harry Potter:
There's quite an infamous fanfic with Ron shagging a teapot. And another with a teaspoon.
[...]
Draco×goblet, which comes from a line in the first book after the Slytherins supposedly won the House Cup, "A storm of cheering and stamping broke out from the Slytherin table. Harry could see Draco Malfoy banging his goblet on the table. It was a sickening sight." Obvious intentional misinterpretation of "banging" produced the pairing.
[...]
And Tumblr gave us Drapple, which is Draco×Apple.
Which was then followed with Chickron (Ron×Chicken) and Ludding (Luna×Pudding).

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

lucythenomad posted:

Has anyone tackled this page yet? Basically, it's 34 pages (if you copy it into Word) of tropers discussing about how fictional characters are shipped with inanimate objects. Some of it is just "Hey, that guy from How I Met Your Mother really likes his suit collection", but the there is stuff like:

This might be the very embodiment of nerds trying too hard to be funny.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

lucythenomad posted:

Draco×goblet, which comes from a line in the first book after the Slytherins supposedly won the House Cup, "A storm of cheering and stamping broke out from the Slytherin table. Harry could see Draco Malfoy banging his goblet on the table. It was a sickening sight." Obvious intentional misinterpretation of "banging" produced the pairing.
This is an actually funny joke; please don't lump it in with the awful monkeycheese bullshit. :shobon:

Penny Paper
Dec 31, 2012

Testekill posted:

And here I've been blaming Cracked.com for that. Boy, is my face red.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Testekill posted:

quote:

Psychonauts: People pair Ford Cruller and his bacon. It's actually rather amusing.
A canon example is Admiral!Ford Cruller×Canoe.

This is actually hilarious! wait where are you going

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.
The notation in those things makes my head hurt. Why Admiral!Ford Cruller? Why not simply Admiral Ford Cruller?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Forget it. It's fandom dribble.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

scamtank posted:

Forget it. It's fandom dribble.
Forget it, Jake. It's Troperville.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Tardigrade posted:

The notation in those things makes my head hurt. Why Admiral!Ford Cruller? Why not simply Admiral Ford Cruller?

The ! just denotes that there is an alternate universe element but that everything else is the same, I think. It makes "admiral" a more dramatic adjective.

I hate it as well and can't read it without imagining someone squealing.

Penny Paper
Dec 31, 2012

sweeperbravo posted:

The ! just denotes that there is an alternate universe element but that everything else is the same, I think. It makes "admiral" a more dramatic adjective.

I hate it as well and can't read it without imagining someone squealing.

Don't you mean squeeing?

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Penny Paper posted:

Don't you mean squeeing?

Yeah I guess I did

But squealing also connotes a piggy sound that is equally appropriate

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Penny Paper posted:

And here I've been blaming Cracked.com for that. Boy, is my face red.

Looks like there's a bit of overlap between Tropers and Cracked.com writers.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
This is all irrelevant because the actual personification of tryhard nerd "humor" is that one obnoxious kid who won't stop quoting Monty Python.

Alpacalips Now
Oct 4, 2013
That Cracked article is just a fridge horror page with better layout. "Soberly examining the plot" to Majora's Mask can apparently send you into madness, and any video game involving ghosts is terrifying because DEATH. As someone who works with kids, I think a majority of them enjoy dark things are because it's fun to be scared when you know it isn't real, plus they want to distance themselves from "kiddie" media. So another thing tropers don't understand: Children.

Maybe kids who don't stay up late on Halloween to watch Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm Street eventually become tropers.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
It doesn't even take all that much looking to see how much crossover there is.

10 Most Unnecessary Lists (Now That We Farm Out Our Article Production To Forum Users)

25 Photoshops Of The Same Four Jokes Run Completely Into The Ground

The Ugly Truth About Hamfisted Social Justice Lectures By White Able-Bodied Men Disguised As Blog Entries

5 Weird Scenes From Incredibly Famous Video Games That Everyone Reading This Already Knows About

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Mar 13, 2014

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Six Weird Historical Facts I Got Out of an Old Ripley's Believe It or Not Book

Morkyz
Aug 6, 2013
Cracked SJW articles aren't nerds trying too hard to be funny; what they actually are is nerds not trying at all to be funny. Also there are some stock photos with "funny" captions. The rest of the site is either just ripping off Seanbaby (who I thought was hilarious when I was 15, idk about now) or lists of possibly-accurate trivia.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Morkyz posted:

Cracked SJW articles aren't nerds trying too hard to be funny; what they actually are is nerds not trying at all to be funny. Also there are some stock photos with "funny" captions. The rest of the site is either just ripping off Seanbaby (who I thought was hilarious when I was 15, idk about now) or lists of possibly-accurate trivia.
Seanbaby is the only good thing left on Cracked right now.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Soulcleaver posted:

Seanbaby is the only good thing left on Cracked right now.

He is also not good.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
cody is sort of ok

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nd_guDxjWQs

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Yes John Cheese, PLEASE tell me more about how horrible your childhood was in the form of hi-larous top 10 lists.

Alpacalips Now
Oct 4, 2013
I probably played Wind Waker more than any other Zelda game because its graphics, music and over all fun never failed to cheer me up, and it helped me through some rough times. Let's see why I should have been making GBS threads myself like a wuss instead of enjoying it.

tropers posted:

The Redeads. The scary part isn't that they're hard to fight. They're actually rather easy. It's that, if you try to shoot them from afar or from behind, they'll look up and stare into your loving soul with their empty eyes... before turning back harmlessly to stare into the ground again. Pretty horrifying if you're standing less than two yards behind one of them.

The worst part of the Redeads is that there's just no way to defeat them without getting some kind of terrifying effect. Attack them directly and they let out a chilling scream that will haunt your dreams. Attack them from afar with bombs or arrows and they just recoil from the blast and go back to just sitting there, hunched over. The worst is if you use light to paralyze them first: their normally expressionless faces will twist into expressions of extreme agony, complete with a frowning mouthful of teeth.

It's easy to beat, it makes loud noises, and looks like a tiki statue. It's practically a Scooby Doo monster, and someone's trying desperately to convince the world it will haunt your dreams.

Inspector Zenigata
Jul 19, 2010

---

Inspector Zenigata fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Apr 2, 2014

Penny Paper
Dec 31, 2012

Alpacalips Now posted:

I probably played Wind Waker more than any other Zelda game because its graphics, music and over all fun never failed to cheer me up, and it helped me through some rough times. Let's see why I should have been making GBS threads myself like a wuss instead of enjoying it.

It's easy to beat, it makes loud noises, and looks like a tiki statue. It's practically a Scooby Doo monster, and someone's trying desperately to convince the world it will haunt your dreams.

I'll admit, it is freaky-looking and frustrating to defeat if you don't know what you're doing, but it isn't nightmare fuel.

Morkyz
Aug 6, 2013

Raven Wilder posted:

I asked this in another thread, but this Mass. anti-upskirt law: it's illegal to take a picture up a woman's skirt, but what if someone just got their head down near the floor in order to look up a woman's skirt and didn't take a picture? Would that be legal?

He hasn't given up yet. :tvtropes:

quote:

Well, this may be getting off-topic, but I'm of the opinion that, if it's legal for you to see something, it should be legal for you to take a picture of it. I know there are people who think taking someone's picture at all without getting their permission beforehand should be illegal, and I'm nervous about laws that would create a legal precedence for that.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

:ssh: no one tell him that looking up someone's skirt is also illegal

Clochette
Aug 12, 2013

Djeser posted:

:ssh: no one tell him that looking up someone's skirt is also illegal

I can't wait until he face-down with a cop's knee in his back. "But it's not illegal!"

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

Penny Paper posted:

I'll admit, it is freaky-looking and frustrating to defeat if you don't know what you're doing, but it isn't nightmare fuel.

Yeah, but things exist in a binary of sunshine and happiness versus mind-bending horror for tropers. There's no room for "hey, that thing's mildly unsettling; effective character design for a zombie husk, Nintendo!" It's all "Oh my god, I'll never be able to sleep again, no that the anime zombie screamed at me :stonk:"

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Dark Souls can be kind of a scary game if you're unfamiliar. Let's see what tropers think.

DARK SOULS NIGHTMARE FUEL posted:

• For example, when Rhea of Thorolund first arrives at Firelink Shrine, the Crestfallen Warrior describes her with a tone that implies that he's planning to do something to her.
  • There's also the tone that Laurentius uses when he demands that you tell him where you found chaos pyromancy and/or large pyromancy flame.

Rhea is a cleric lady who wants to go around and make it safer for more travelers, like your player character. The warrior they're talking about has no interaction with her whatsoever. In fact, this is the line they're talking about.

Crestfallen Warrior posted:

Did you see her?
That virtuous little maiden, complete with followers in tow.
They're probably going straight to pillage graves. I've heard enough about "M'Lady" for a lifetime.

At most, he's just jaded and annoyed. He never once sounds like he's planning to do anything.

Also, Laurentius is a jolly fellow who considers you a good friend for saving his life and teaches you how to make fire with your hands. When you bring him fancy fire powers, he gets curious because he likes to learn new things and seeks to learn them for himself. He's very excited and thanks you for providing him his adventurer's spark again. Where in all of that was something horrifying? What happens after is, if you like the guy, but that's beside the point.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZtIiR4C1R4&t=400s
Here's the line so you can judge for yourself (6:40, if the timestamp doesn't work). You could take his tone as being kind of hungry, if you're the kind of person who always jumps to that kind of conclusion, but the rest of the line makes it pretty clear what he thinks of them.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
Don't get me wrong, I hate the site, but I think something's getting lost in translation here. Isn't Nightmare Fuel supposed to mean "at least mildly unsettling thing", not "inherent cause of immediate real PTSD"?

Penny Paper
Dec 31, 2012

LaughMyselfTo posted:

Don't get me wrong, I hate the site, but I think something's getting lost in translation here. Isn't Nightmare Fuel supposed to mean "at least mildly unsettling thing", not "inherent cause of immediate real PTSD"?

With tropers, there is no difference. And I hate the site too, but I do venture there to dig up the more inane stuff for you guys to laugh at. Think of me as an Internet take on Jane Goodall.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

corn in the bible posted:

He is also not good.

nah

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

LaughMyselfTo posted:

They used to have three separate entries: regular Nightmare Fuel, HIGH OCTANE NIGHTMARE FUEL, and NIGHTMARE FUEL UNLEADED. But in one of his rare moments of clarity, Fast Eddie and his moderators decided that having three categories collecting the same poo poo was stupid, so they all got lumped together. That's why you'll see something that says "huh, skeletons are kinda creepy" a few sentences away from "THESE SKELETONS ARE DEMONIC SPIDERS AND THEY RAPE THE GHOSTS OF CHILDREN SPOOKY".

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

One was supposed to be "stuff that's unintentionally scary", one was "stuff that's intentionally scary", and one was "??????scary???"

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

LaughMyselfTo posted:

Arcsquad12 posted:

They used to have three separate entries: regular Nightmare Fuel, HIGH OCTANE NIGHTMARE FUEL, and NIGHTMARE FUEL UNLEADED.
From what I can remember, it's that Nightmare Fuel was the article for accidentally scary things and Unleaded was for deliberately scary things, and then they changed Unleaded to High Octane because someone finally figured out what "unleaded" actually means. :rolleye:

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Mar 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Sham bam bamina! posted:

From what I can remember, it's that Nightmare Fuel was the article for accidentally scary things and Unleaded was for deliberately scary things, and then they changed Unleaded to High Octane because someone finally figured out what "unleaded" actually means. :rolleye:

I should hope that troper was forced out, for daring to indulge in the sin of actually researching something instead of just copying their favourite anime.

• Locked thread