Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

chrisf posted:

Where you spawn is randomized too, did you check coords?

We were about 200 blocks away, so I went flying around and found it all a mess. We got nothing. We have to switch out the world we were using since I've been sullying it from "doing stress tests*" so I'll triple check all this stuff. I assume when I move out the world folder, it will regenerate based on that seed #17 that I put in the server properties. It could be we did something kind of goofy before.

*running four sonic borers in a plus sign going out in all directions with a 9x9x9 big reactor that didn't give no shits. It actually crashed the client, but the server survived.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Insufferable measure of firewood

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I had discovered the seed offline at home, so I went to my laptop here that is using the client pack you gave me (thanks, BTW), and that one generated the same kind of seed.
Glad I could help with the client pack. Working in what I do, I'm all too familiar with locked-down internet access and wanting to play Minecraft.

quote:

The server was convinced it was using seed #17 too. Is there something bizarre I have to do like 0000000017 or something screwed up like that? Is it a case of it interpreting as a string instead of a number?
That is pretty strange, but honestly I've never tried to take a world from a client and move it server-side.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I think I figured out what the problem is, but I'm unsure of the solution. We saw the server properties had a hard-on for using ATG. I didn't set the generator to that on my client; I was just using default. I changed it to default, as in:
code:
level-type=DEFAULT
I shut down the server, deleted the bogus world, and had it start back up. When I logged back in, I got the same thing as before.

The reason I think it is ATG is I am now spawn next to this giant alpine peak that goes beyond the clouds (peak at Y=239). It sure doesn't look like the default to me. Is there any other place on the server I need to shut off ATG?

Edit: You know, I could live with ATG if I could get it to generate a village near me without ripping through seeds. Is that possible?

Edit edit: On the client I set ATG seed 17 and got what I originally found on the server the first time I tried to generate. It's kind of a neat area really... if I could find a village I guess I could just move the default spawn there, right?

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Mar 12, 2014

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Insufferable measure of firewood

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

On the client I set ATG seed 17 and got what I originally found on the server the first time I tried to generate. It's kind of a neat area really... if I could find a village I guess I could just move the default spawn there, right?
Yup; if you're using the default server pack, the command is /setspawn to set the spawn to your current location.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Could max-build-height screw it up? Would that allow the default generator to run all the way up to Y=239 or more? Maybe this is the default generator, but the configuration messed with it.

Edit: I think I misunderstood that command, but we are still thinking over here something is up with the Default generator in some way that overrides its configuration. Also, we've travelled quite a few kilometers across a few different seeds and never found a village. Does ATG make them impossible to find? Is my time better spent then making a fake village?

Edit x 1,000: It looks like found out the configuration files between the client and server copies were very different. We tried the client files on the server and it generated the seed we wanted. We have to check for stability by trying some crap.

Edit x 1,000,000: The client differs just enough that the client configs cause the server to crash while some mod tries to do a version check. I am getting real pissed at these version checks. I think it more than doubles startup time, vomits exceptions left and right, and some of these mods don't even recover when they can't phone home.

Edit x 1,000,000,000: We think we found it! Highlands was configured to screw around with the default terrain generator. Good times.

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Mar 12, 2014

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away
Are any of you good at reading crash logs? Mindcrack is suddendly crashing 9/10 times when I right click my tesseracts.

http://pastebin.com/0hyfvvhT

BlueOccamy
Jul 1, 2010
When did EE3 get rid of logs-> obsidian? I use that one all the time in my other world :( Is there a way to re-enable it in NST:Diet?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
So we sent out the meeting invitation for the team building event tomorrow:

\/\/ Thanks for the tip. I dunno why I was getting caught up on that.

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Mar 13, 2014

delta534
Sep 2, 2011

Nastyman posted:

Are any of you good at reading crash logs? Mindcrack is suddendly crashing 9/10 times when I right click my tesseracts.

http://pastebin.com/0hyfvvhT

Could you post the ForgeModLoader client and ForgeModLoader server logs as well. I'm getting nothing out of that crash log.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

So we sent out the meeting invitation for the team building event tomorrow:

(It was acting up when I posted it but I know the URL was okay, so I'll edit later if it's still screwed up)

It's acting up because you've put the url of the gallery page and not the image itself.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs

delta534 posted:

Could you post the ForgeModLoader client and ForgeModLoader server logs as well. I'm getting nothing out of that crash log.

I'm playing SP, so I'm assuming there is no server log yet. None that I can find anyway. There are 3 different logs for client though.

ForgeModLoader-client-0.log
ForgeModLoader-client-1.log
ForgeModLoader-client-2.log

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.
I tried adding mods to wylker's modpack mods folder and now it crashes I am the worst at this.

delta534
Sep 2, 2011

Nastyman posted:

I'm playing SP, so I'm assuming there is no server log yet. None that I can find anyway. There are 3 different logs for client though.

ForgeModLoader-client-0.log
ForgeModLoader-client-1.log
ForgeModLoader-client-2.log

It seems to be an issue with the portal gun mod. Also try giving minecraft some more memory.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
For the life of me, I simply cannot connect a RotaryCraft lava melter to a smeltery's seared tank. A lot of things act like they're connected, but generate no lava flow. RotaryCraft's own pipes convey lava into the pipes but they never enter the tank.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
Y'know, from all the posts in here about it lately, I'm getting the feeling that RotaryCraft is way more effort than it's worth, and I should just stick with Mek and TE for tech stuff.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Serifina posted:

Y'know, from all the posts in here about it lately, I'm getting the feeling that RotaryCraft is way more effort than it's worth, and I should just stick with Mek and TE for tech stuff.

Probably not for the most part, but that sonic borer is the fallback if we're having a bitch of a time getting the resources for a digital miner. I'm still trying to figure out how effective it is for plant farming*. I have the whole fan/sprinkler setup, but I can't tell what goes on beyond that. The extractor is also nice once you have steady power. I suspect there's just some interoperation configuration thing keeping it from dropping fluid into anything else.

*It is pretty crap for plant farming. I think an MFR setup works, but maybe the sprinkler increases growth rate in tandem with a fertilizer.

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Mar 13, 2014

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
Does it really give me any benefit that I don't get already with MFR, TE, and Mek?

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Serifina posted:

Does it really give me any benefit that I don't get already with MFR, TE, and Mek?

You can sperg about torque and rpms and other new things to sperg about. What're mods for anyway?

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

chairface posted:

You can sperg about torque and rpms and other new things to sperg about. What're mods for anyway?

Feh. I'd rather sperg about golems and magic spells and how to make my blood altar super-efficient and how to make the awesomest Mage tower ever.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs

delta534 posted:

It seems to be an issue with the portal gun mod. Also try giving minecraft some more memory.

Thanks, I'll have a look at it and see what works. I can't believe I didn't think of the memory thing, I have it set in Technic but completely forgot about FTB.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Serifina posted:

Feh. I'd rather sperg about golems and magic spells and how to make my blood altar super-efficient and how to make the awesomest Mage tower ever.

Why not sperg about both?

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
reactorcraft is basically gregtech. its horrible.

Rotarycraft is also gregtech++, and its spergy as gently caress, but there is some real neat stuff. The issue is that each piece by itself doesn't create alot of lag, but you need a shitload of them all working together. By then, you have a huge amount of lag. The dev is also a pretentious fuckcock and totally not open to anything resembling feedback.

Solar towers are poorly coded, fusion is poorly coded (creates 200 entities while running), VDGG's zap you through walls, radiation spreads and the only cleanup is with an admin tool. All in the name of ~~Realism~~.

I want to like it. poo poo, I still like alot of the ideas. However, some of the stuff is such an insufferable pain that I will never, ever put up with it.

If there was a way to make it less laggy in SMP, that would be great.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

The author of those is also a furry.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

Are fluiducts lossy over distance. I've got my magma crucible connected to a liquid transposer with 17 fluiducts and when I drop 1 redstone in the crucible, I only get 53 liquid in the transposer, instead of 100.

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

I am the absolute worst at mod pack creation/modification. No matter how many times I try to add two mods to the Wylker modpack, it just crashes. Is there another step besides adding them to /mods/?

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

Carados posted:

I am the absolute worst at mod pack creation/modification. No matter how many times I try to add two mods to the Wylker modpack, it just crashes. Is there another step besides adding them to /mods/?

If it's not working there are lots of steps. Checking the logs, figuring out why it's crashing, checking the mod config files, fixing conflicts, etc.

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

It's not an item conflict, those aren't appearing in the logs. I can't figure out why it's crashing from the logs.

It looks like a sound issue from a mod I didn't add, which makes no sense.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Glory of Arioch posted:

The author of those is also a furry.

Unless dog-loving is a major mod gameplay mechanic to generate power or something, who gives a gently caress (besides you, i guess)?

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help
I was going to say that RotaryCraft was nice for an easy 5x ore production method, but remembered I'm a few versions behind on it and it looks like the magnetostatic engine has been nerfed in the most recent versions. Used to be that you just needed RF power, a magnetostatic engine, and a bevel gear to drive the extractor, but now it doesn't produce enough torque on its own.

I don't really mind spergy stuff like Gregtech if it's something that can be treated like optional 'endgame' stuff to tinker with when I'm bored of everything else, but Rotarycraft still makes my head spin whenever I try to read its manual.

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR

Halibut Barn posted:

Rotarycraft still makes my head spin

:thumbsup:

But yeah, it's cool once you figure it out, just don't go down the reactorcraft path. It seems like a fun goal to work towards until you realize you're 30 hours in staring at an 8x chain of compressing 16000x ore wondering what you're gonna do with all this useless rotarycraft energy when you're done.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Magmarashi posted:

Unless dog-loving is a major mod gameplay mechanic to generate power or something, who gives a gently caress (besides you, i guess)?

It doesn't, yet, but the inclusion of Lube as a liquid that you carry around in buckets sets the furry level to "Guarded." There might be some Better Than Wolves compatibility in there that we don't know about.

Halibut Barn posted:

I was going to say that RotaryCraft was nice for an easy 5x ore production method, but remembered I'm a few versions behind on it and it looks like the magnetostatic engine has been nerfed in the most recent versions. Used to be that you just needed RF power, a magnetostatic engine, and a bevel gear to drive the extractor, but now it doesn't produce enough torque on its own.

I don't really mind spergy stuff like Gregtech if it's something that can be treated like optional 'endgame' stuff to tinker with when I'm bored of everything else, but Rotarycraft still makes my head spin whenever I try to read its manual.

I don't know much about Rotarycraft, but I had someone on the NST Diet server set me up one of those extractor hooberjobbers in my base so I could multiply my yellorite, and he set it up with a CVT thingie that was basically filled to the chock with belts of some kind. That plus a magnetostatic whatsit was enough to run the extractor.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Glory of Arioch posted:

It doesn't, yet, but the inclusion of Lube as a liquid that you carry around in buckets sets the furry level to "Guarded." There might be some Better Than Wolves compatibility in there that we don't know about.

The mod is about things spinning really fast. Is lubricating moving parts a foreign concept? Why do you think cars need oil?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

bbcisdabomb posted:

The mod is about things spinning really fast. Is lubricating moving parts a foreign concept? Why do you think cars need oil?

Sure, but he could had held his cards a little closer to his chest by calling it "oil."

I guess I should be content with the fact that the plant the lube comes from is called canola instead of rapeseed.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Glory of Arioch posted:

Sure, but he could had held his cards a little closer to his chest by calling it "oil."

Not necessarily, other mods have pretty solidly established "oil" as a fuel in Minecraft, so calling it something else alleviates confusion.

Though he could have gone long form with "lubricant".

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

m2pt5 posted:

Not necessarily, other mods have pretty solidly established "oil" as a fuel in Minecraft, so calling it something else alleviates confusion.

Though he could have gone long form with "lubricant".

Yeah, calling the refined "lube" in rotarycraft "astroglide" is kinda weird though.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Glory of Arioch posted:

I guess I should be content with the fact that the plant the lube comes from is called canola instead of rapeseed.

Because 'oil' is already a thing that lots of Mods use and the more correct term for the material you put on fast-moving parts to keep them lubricated is lube.

Magmarashi fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Mar 13, 2014

sixide
Oct 25, 2004
The Rotarycraft energy conversion rates to RF seem pretty ludicrous. An alcohol-fueled engine produces 65 kW, but after conversion it isn't even enough to power a furnace. Really?

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

sixide posted:

The Rotarycraft energy conversion rates to RF seem pretty ludicrous. An alcohol-fueled engine produces 65 kW, but after conversion it isn't even enough to power a furnace. Really?

equal parts ~~Balance~~ and ~~Realism~~. Its a mod with huge potential with a pretentious dev.

sixide
Oct 25, 2004
Can't be realism, I could easily power 3 or 4 industrial heat-treat furnaces off of a 65 kW engine with a really poor-quality generator. Seems more like a mod export tariff than anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)

Glory of Arioch posted:

I believe you're just grasping at straws now.

By the way, why is Technic asking me to log in every time I launch even though I check the remember checkbox?

• Locked thread