Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.

Anne Whateley posted:

Knitpicks is a really different company than it used to be. The original owner, who was actually a knitter, handed it over to her son. Prices went up, production moved to China, quality plummeted. That's without even getting into their appallingly terrible handling of their huge security breach. I think a lot of people are still boycotting over that. So I'm completely unsurprised that the business is suffering and the guy is making another dumbass decision.

Yeah, I heard that, too. Which is a shame because my first pair of knitting needles were from the old Harmony set and they are still very awesome. Oh well. I'd been putting 5-10 bucks each month into a Dyakcraft set of needles (The Darn Pretty interchangeables).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pucklynn
Sep 8, 2010

chop chop chop
Thank you all for the nice comments on my blanket!

Anne Whateley posted:

Knitpicks is a really different company than it used to be. The original owner, who was actually a knitter, handed it over to her son. Prices went up, production moved to China, quality plummeted. That's without even getting into their appallingly terrible handling of their huge security breach. I think a lot of people are still boycotting over that. So I'm completely unsurprised that the business is suffering and the guy is making another dumbass decision.

I'm really disappointed to hear this. My first set of needles was the knit picks options way back in 2006. I've supplemented new tips and cables every now and then but only recently has the glue started to give on all my oldest cables and I'm looking at having to replace a lot of pieces soon. I'm glad to know that Knitter's Pride has me covered for needles, but I'm really going to miss their yarns and kits. :(

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

I hit my nephew yet I don't hesitate to judge other people's parenting skills.
PS MY BABY CAROLINE CAN NEVER SHARE A LAP WITH BALLS. Lol
I wanted to thank all of you for suggesting the Dreamz. I got the specials, cause I knit a lot of scarves in the round, and switched them out mid-project for the bamboos I was knitting with. Oh my gods am I in love with these needles!!!

I think I'll probably end up buying the regular lengths too.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
New Knitty! It looks like every other Knitty! Yay.

There's nothing exciting there, unless you want a t-shirt with an attached scarf for some reason.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie
Regenerate :kimchi:.

Knitty posted:

Nature is both destructive and creative. When my home town of Christchurch, New Zealand was struck by a series of devastating earthquakes beginning September 4th 2010, the entire CBD was cordoned off from public access as the many damaged and collapsed buildings were demolished or repaired. Large swaths of residential Christchurch were left ruined and uninhabitable, forcing people from their beloved riverside houses and gardens to more seismically stable ground.

As we all struggled to work through the extraordinary shock that nature had unleashed upon us, it occurred to me that nature would also provide the first pioneer of those demolished building sites, collapsed buildings and abandoned houses; in the form of weeds.

Never before in my life has a weed been so welcome. In a matter of weeks weeds began to populate once well kept streetscapes in all their prolific glory and abandon. This lace shawl celebrates the raw beauty of nature, both destructive and creative, in the form of the weed. Wrap it around you and contemplate your relationship with the natural world, and whatever experiences it serves up to you.

In this shawl I use Estonian lace stitches to depict weeds re-populating the urban landscape, tentatively at first with a Creeping Vine, and then transforming with prolific abandon into the Riotous Vine. Finally, the edge of the shawl depicts what I consider to be the Crowning Glory of all weeds -- the thistle!

As a current Christchurch resident, this is awesome and I am totally knitting this. In a NZ wool.

Otherwise Octopodes looks pretty cool, if a little difficult for someone who's never done colourwork.

left_unattended fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Mar 11, 2014

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

MarsDragon posted:

New Knitty! It looks like every other Knitty! Yay.

I think it looks a whole lot worse than other Knitty editions. 5 shawls, seriously?!

zamiel
Nov 12, 2005

Pugs not drugs
I just barely caught the KP DQ'ing the felici before I went in for surgery last week. I was going to FINALLY buy myself some of the rainbow self striping and make toe socks as my plan for recovery knitting, and a little treat to look forward to. I got some yellow/orange honey bee themed wool and silk top to spin instead. Still pretty bummed I missed the announcement. Going to build a self striping contraption I saw on FB to dye it myself. I can never remember the goon's name in here that has the sheep in NE Ohio, she or her mom posted it on their farms page.

anyway, join me in the giggles. I had my gallbladder out after 7 years of hell and misdiagnosis. I packed away 3 projects to work on while I was laid up at my grandmothers because I'm insane. I finished one, the BSJ, and well...haha so many gently caress ups. Not like I was on anything new, either, just more. I had to rip out 20 rows because I missed an increase. Then I forgot to move the markers and well, the bottom is "diaper access friendly" according to my gran. I couldn't even seam it straight hah. My cousin loves it for her lil dude so idgaf. Yarn is Baby Crofter DK in self patterning fair isle. Love how it broke up through the garter.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

zamiel posted:

I just barely caught the KP DQ'ing the felici before I went in for surgery last week. I was going to FINALLY buy myself some of the rainbow self striping and make toe socks as my plan for recovery knitting, and a little treat to look forward to. I got some yellow/orange honey bee themed wool and silk top to spin instead. Still pretty bummed I missed the announcement. Going to build a self striping contraption I saw on FB to dye it myself. I can never remember the goon's name in here that has the sheep in NE Ohio, she or her mom posted it on their farms page.

anyway, join me in the giggles. I had my gallbladder out after 7 years of hell and misdiagnosis. I packed away 3 projects to work on while I was laid up at my grandmothers because I'm insane. I finished one, the BSJ, and well...haha so many gently caress ups. Not like I was on anything new, either, just more. I had to rip out 20 rows because I missed an increase. Then I forgot to move the markers and well, the bottom is "diaper access friendly" according to my gran. I couldn't even seam it straight hah. My cousin loves it for her lil dude so idgaf. Yarn is Baby Crofter DK in self patterning fair isle. Love how it broke up through the garter.

A few years back a friend of mine had her gallbladder out, so I knit her a new one. She said the doctor thought it was hilarious. (Glad you're feeling better!)

That sweater is really lovely! I always forget how great garter stitch looks with multi color yarn.

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

The finest of all dances.
Instant Jellyfish has a farm in Ohio, and dyes mohair with her mother. She's also OP of the baby Livestock thread over in Pet Island.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie
When you count your stitches three times and get three different results, it's time to put the knitting down and back away slowly. drat cold.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

I have done this before and decided to pick the average of all three. I am not as smart a knitter as you when sick.

TastesLikeChicken
Dec 30, 2007

Doesn't everything?

GabrielAisling posted:

Instant Jellyfish has a farm in Ohio, and dyes mohair with her mother. She's also OP of the baby Livestock thread over in Pet Island.

And beautiful, beautiful Jacob sheep. I'm still picking through my 12 oz of fleece but I spun up an ounce of gray last weekend and it's gorgeous! :swoon:

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

FelicityGS posted:

I have done this before and decided to pick the average of all three. I am not as smart a knitter as you when sick.

I've even said to myself, "Eh, I'll know in the last few repeats whether I've got the correct stitch count or not," and then inc/dec'd as necessary.

I get so lazy when it comes to casting on!

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

effika posted:

I've even said to myself, "Eh, I'll know in the last few repeats whether I've got the correct stitch count or not," and then inc/dec'd as necessary.

I use stitch markers when casting on. Like one every 20-25 stitches, so I'm only counting in small increments and then just counting my stitch markers.

zamiel
Nov 12, 2005

Pugs not drugs

TastesLikeChicken posted:

And beautiful, beautiful Jacob sheep. I'm still picking through my 12 oz of fleece but I spun up an ounce of gray last weekend and it's gorgeous! :swoon:

I went to their first open house a few years back. I got to pet them and watch the shearing! It's their fault I fell in love with Jacobs :)

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

Dale Carnegie

effika posted:

I'm knitting Minerva in the large size. Because the bottom border has dropped stitches, you have to use a long tail cast-on of over 550 stitches. I had two balls of wool, I had a ton of stitch markers, but that cast-on was still a bitch. Thankfully I wasn't sick at the time, so each time I obsessively recounted my stitches I came up with the same number.

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

The finest of all dances.

TastesLikeChicken posted:

And Cormos, I think. I'm just a little goat-obsessed even though mohair's too itchy for me. If I want halo, I have to go with bunny.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

GabrielAisling posted:

And Cormos, I think. I'm just a little goat-obsessed even though mohair's too itchy for me. If I want halo, I have to go with bunny.

And romeldales and my mom is getting bunnies this year :ssh:

This is the crazy self striping yarn device:

The biggest pain of doing the self striping is reskeining it afterwards without it ending up a giant tangled monstrosity.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

Dale Carnegie

Instant Jellyfish posted:

That looks like something they'd use in Gitmo.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

And romeldales and my mom is getting bunnies this year :ssh:

The biggest pain of doing the self striping is reskeining it afterwards without it ending up a giant tangled monstrosity.

Whoa.

How does it work?

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

Whoa.

How does it work?

Each hank gets tied off and removed from the warp and either goes into a different dye bath or gets painted with dye and wrapped in plastic to steam. We used this person's idea instead of a traditional warping board. I need to edit the pictures I took of the yarn before sending it off to the Pittsburgh Knit and Crochet Festival because it turned out really nicely.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Each hank gets tied off and removed from the warp and either goes into a different dye bath or gets painted with dye and wrapped in plastic to steam. We used this person's idea instead of a traditional warping board. I need to edit the pictures I took of the yarn before sending it off to the Pittsburgh Knit and Crochet Festival because it turned out really nicely.

That is pretty awesome!

My idea (in my head) was sort of wrapping the yarn around pegs a bunch of times to create a kind of giant skein of mini skeins, I guess it's not too far off. This makes more sense for dye actually penetrating though.

I can only imagine the tangle I could create with that thing!

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

One skein is still just a tangled mess right now even after getting to work on untangling it through 2 hospital visits. At least we were smart enough to not try it with the 1000 yard laceweight kid mohair skeins!

Here are how some of them turned out. Forgive the extreme DOF shallowness, OH remembered that it was March and turned off the sun.

Babby rainbow

Regular rainbow

This one reminds me of every toy I had in the 90s.

Vaguely watermelon inspired

zamiel
Nov 12, 2005

Pugs not drugs
I'm trying to heal over here, not try building giant PVC contraptions til I get the okay from the sexy surgeon, but those are so pretty, ugh! I totally understand the tangling...the 3/4 peg thing we used at the guild dye workshop was such a long repeat section no matter how many ties I made it got tangled. Still have a double hank of yellows/oranges sock yarn to untangle someday.

Hey are you guys doing an open house this year? I'd love to see the new additions

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

zamiel posted:

I'm trying to heal over here, not try building giant PVC contraptions til I get the okay from the sexy surgeon, but those are so pretty, ugh! I totally understand the tangling...the 3/4 peg thing we used at the guild dye workshop was such a long repeat section no matter how many ties I made it got tangled. Still have a double hank of yellows/oranges sock yarn to untangle someday.

Hey are you guys doing an open house this year? I'd love to see the new additions

You feel better! Yarn will still be there when you're all healed up.

Shearing Day open house is April 26th. I'm shearing a sheep and a goat and we should be up to our elbows in lambs (fingers crossed!).

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Couldn't you reduce tangling by winding from the bottom up, then unwinding by standing over it and wrapping the skein by hand, thus pulling the loops from approximately top-down? It just seems like it would take a bit of attention but not a really excessive amount of cursing.

ackapoo
Nov 15, 2007

fun leads to abortions!
I'd really like to finish A Sock this weekend, but I haven't gotten a response from the pattern owner so I figured I'd ask for help here.

I am currently making those Octopodes socks and I am having trouble with the gusset section.

The chart is a fixed amount of stitches, but there are four increases within the little repeated section. There are stitch markers on either side of the gusset section but I don't know if I should be moving them. Should I move them so the same amount of stitches is worked and the other extra stitches are just worked in pattern? Or do I leave them be and just remember where the little section technically is? It's really hard to visualize for whatever reason, which is why I'm having trouble understanding how it all works.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I'm not sure how you're reading it. The gusset chart isn't a static number of stitches. It starts with only 3 stitches in that section, and increases for the rest. Could that be part of the issue?

ackapoo
Nov 15, 2007

fun leads to abortions!

Anne Whateley posted:

I'm not sure how you're reading it. The gusset chart isn't a static number of stitches. It starts with only 3 stitches in that section, and increases for the rest. Could that be part of the issue?

Oh wow, I didn't see that at all. I had printed out the charts at work and our printer has been total crap recently. No wonder why I thought it looked weird; the printer made it look like there were extra grid lines where there shouldn't have been. Thank you for pointing that out! I should have just looked at the actual graphic first. Oy!

Phishi
May 13, 2006
The long and winding road....
Hoooo boy. There is a new yarn at KnitPicks called Hawthorne. It's a hand painted sock yarn inspired by the NW. The colors are lovely and reviews look pretty positive on Rav.

I might ... I might actually break my KP moratorium for this. :smith:

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
I'm pregnant and expecting a baby at the end of August. The middle of hot hot summer here. It doesn't get 'knitwear cold' here until mid-late November, nearly December at times. I'm so disappointed.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
You could knit booties or tank tops or anything in laceweight; that won't be too warm for a summer baby. There's enough time left to do it. And you might actually want one or two warmer things if there's a lot of AC. Or just stock up on 3-6 month sweaters! Or do you not knit during the summer? I don't do nearly as much then.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
I knit during the summer, but it's usually way to hot for clothes, not just knitting :-) I'll have to make sweaters for the winter, I'm just afraid that they'll be the wrong size. My daughter was smaller, but this will be a son so I have no idea how he'll grow. :-) Baby stuff is so easy though, I'll still make stuff if I can find the time with a two year old.

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
Why not tiny baby approved stuffies then?

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS

Phishi posted:

I might ... I might actually break my KP moratorium for this. :smith:

Yeah, I'm still unhappy about my stripey yarn but dammnnnn I want all of that hawthorne. Gotta wait a bit until I make another order after my felici binge.

Fat Dio
Feb 27, 2010

I made The Dude but didn't take a photo after blocking and installing the zipper. If I were to do it again I'd use a tighter gauge and do it all in stockinette, not 1x1 rib.

Then I had a lot of leftover yarn so I made a kids sweater with bunnies and flowers, gotta put a zipper in though.

Now I've got a pile of even more ecological wool in "Irelande" staring at me, I might make a sweater for myself but I haven't planned anything out yet.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

Oh my god those are both great!! I especially like the kids one with the bunnies on the back :3:

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

That really is magnificent work. How long did they each take you?

Fat Dio
Feb 27, 2010

I marathon TV while I knit, I think the Dude took me 2 seasons of Drew Carey, all of Sherlock, all the LoTR movies and a few others, something like 72-80 hours over the course of a month? The zipper took 4 hours because I'd never done one before and :gonk: sewing is scary. The little kid sweater was all of How I Met Your Mother spaced over a few weeks with Vikings and Shameless sprinkled in here and there :) I sort of made it up as I went along so I had a few times where I'd get a third of the way done a section and go "nah, it's not right" and take it apart for a redo. I'm pretty happy with it, now I just need to find a toddler to wear it. There are bunnies on the sleeves, and one "in" each front pocket too :3:

So I found this on Pinterest, and a similar pattern but for socks on Ravelry, does anyone know where I might find the original chart? Does it look familiar to anyone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya
I totally have this favorited on Ravelry :)

http://www.ravelry.com/projects/jettshin/nightingale
is the project

she adapted it from a sock pattern
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/nightingale-2