Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Jose posted:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jan/30/french-court-sex-franck-ribery-karim-benzema

Ribery and Benzema's court case has been dropped. Paying a 16 year old for sex is alright so long as you don't know she's 16.

quote:

Nile Ranger has been cleared of rape after it went to trial

You don't need convictions to be a rapist but he is a rapist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Whoops.

England forward and anti-racism campaigner Toni Duggan has apologised for painting her face black and dressing up as film star Whoopi Goldberg for a fancy dress party. The Manchester City Ladies striker, a Kick It Out ambassador, imitated Goldberg's character in Sister Act.

"I am very sorry for my actions and for any offence," said 22-year-old Duggan.

Kick It Out said Duggan retained its support and would keep her role as an ambassador with the anti-racism group.

An England spokesperson said: "We are aware of the images. We have asked for the photos to be removed and are dealing with the matter internally."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26446213

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

It's a character? I understand black face but seriously?

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Soulex posted:

It's a character? I understand black face but seriously?

Angry twentysomething bloggers have added it to the list of problematic things to pretend to be mad about so even though blackface used to entail racial caricatures now it is more broad. Its a passionate issue but I myself am not sure.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

let me shovel out your brains
hang my image in your skull
so I can be the vision
in your nightmares from now on
If she wasn't in blackface she would just be a nun, and then religious nutjobs would be angry at her instead. Case of pick your poison really.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Blackface is one of those things where almost no one who actually does it is trying to invoke memories of minstrel shows or actually be racist, but it's still basically guarantee to piss people off and generally not a good idea.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I simply don't understand why people still do blackface. My mind cannot comprehend how you can't know about the connotations. It's basically like wearing a t shirt with swastika because you like the Hindu message.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Ho Chi Meeeeee posted:

If she wasn't in blackface she would just be a nun, and then religious nutjobs would be angry at her instead. Case of pick your poison really.

They aren't even remotely similar, this post is insane.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

oliwan posted:

I simply don't understand why people still do blackface. My mind cannot comprehend how you can't know about the connotations. It's basically like wearing a t shirt with swastika because you like the Hindu message.

Aren't you Dutch?

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

oliwan posted:

Corrode posted:

Aren't you Dutch?

If you are, maybe you can answer a question for me. I was in Amsterdam in November and there were lots of people in blackface on the streets. They were dressed like characters from a Shakespeare play or something, so I think it was an advertisement for something going on, but is that acceptable over there? We were more than a little taken aback by it.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Lmao

Don't go to Amsterdam is the answer

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Mickolution posted:

If you are, maybe you can answer a question for me. I was in Amsterdam in November and there were lots of people in blackface on the streets. They were dressed like characters from a Shakespeare play or something, so I think it was an advertisement for something going on, but is that acceptable over there? We were more than a little taken aback by it.

Did they look like this...?

Guess that's more horse face than black face.

You're probably referring to Zwarte Piet, this article was around the same time you were there:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zwarte_Piet
http://www.washingtonpost.com/world...e14a_story.html

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

sticksy posted:

You're probably referring to Zwarte Piet, this article was around the same time you were there:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zwarte_Piet
http://www.washingtonpost.com/world...e14a_story.html

That's exactly what it was, thanks. I meant to look it up when I got home, but completely forgot about it until now.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

oliwan posted:

This is the worst analogy.

Bacon of the Sea
Oct 17, 2008

Dog Suicide Bridge BBQ Team 2k10

blue footed boobie posted:

Blackface is one of those things where almost no one who actually does it is trying to invoke memories of minstrel shows or actually be racist, but it's still basically guarantee to piss people off and generally not a good idea.

I can't remember the last time I read about someone doing blackface to upset anyone, it's more or less always a case of someone doing it and not realising it's massively offensive to some people. You'd expect a Kick It Out ambassador to know better though. She'd certainly not turn up to the Kick It Out Halloween ball dressed as the ghost of Whitney Houston.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

Bacon of the Sea posted:

I can't remember the last time I read about someone doing blackface to upset anyone, it's more or less always a case of someone doing it and not realising it's massively offensive to some people. You'd expect a Kick It Out ambassador to know better though. She'd certainly not turn up to the Kick It Out Halloween ball dressed as the ghost of Whitney Houston.

More importantly, she's a representative on an anti-racism panel and she doesn't know about the Blackface flow chart.
Who the gently caress were the other candidates who she beat?

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

So what you're saying is only white people can dress up as white characters, and only black people can dress up as black characters.

loving Racists.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Bacon of the Sea posted:

I can't remember the last time I read about someone doing blackface to upset anyone, it's more or less always a case of someone doing it and not realising it's massively offensive to some people.

The last one I can remember is from a few years ago in Australia where Qantas organised a competition where participants were encouraged to attend a Wallabies test match dressed to look like Radike Samo. For those who don't know, Radike Samo looks like this:

I'm sure you can imagine where this is headed.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Did Fellaini get a ban for that?

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January

Soulex posted:

So what you're saying is only white people can dress up as white characters, and only black people can dress up as black characters.

loving Racists.

I think what is being said is that if you want to dress up as a black person when you are white and you decide to paint your face you might have to accept that some people will think you're either an idiot at best or racist at worst.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

angered paedophile posted:

I think what is being said is that if you want to dress up as a black person when you are white and you decide to paint your face you might have to accept that some people will think you're either an idiot at best or racist at worst.

I got it. It's just hard to comprehend if it's not done in a malicious manner like Carnival/Halloween/Fasching or films/TV a la Dave Chappell, why it's a big deal.

I guess this means I can't dress up as Django the Assassin ever.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Soulex posted:

I got it. It's just hard to comprehend if it's not done in a malicious manner like Carnival/Halloween/Fasching or films/TV a la Dave Chappell, why it's a big deal.

I guess this means I can't dress up as Django the Assassin ever.

You don't paint your face black because the historical context of this practice, even when it's not done in a malicious manner. You also don't wear a swastika on your t-shirt, even when it's not done in a malicious manner.

It's not very difficult.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

It's not like she was roaming the streets randomly on a Tuesday walking up to people trying to pass off as black. It was a loving costume.

I understand where you are coming from, but comparing it to a fascist symbol, in the way you are describing, is wrong. Especially since it's origins are not at all malevolent. I personally wouldn't do either of what you listed, but I'm also intelligent enough to know the difference between a swastika third reich era and a regular, uncanted swastika.

edit I'm not defending her. I just think the whole situation is stupid. Did Transvestites get mad at Hamsik for dressing up as a lady?

Soulex fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Mar 6, 2014

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)
So to summarise, we're all agreed, blackface: bad, swastikas: bad. Unless anyone else has some new information?

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Soulex posted:

edit I'm not defending her. I just think the whole situation is stupid. Did Transvestites get mad at Hamsik for dressing up as a lady?

I will assure you that if any troons got wind of it they'd be livid.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Blackface is an important part of my ninja heritage

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker
I am also anti-blackface but she actually looks pretty well like Whoppi Goldberg. If she wasn't in such a prominent position it would just be seen as a good costume i expect. And I'm sure her intentions were good. Female footballers as smart as the blokes then.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Soulex posted:

Especially since it's origins are not at all malevolent.

I feel bad for Oliwan being triggered like this.

8raz
Jun 22, 2007

He's Scouse, He's Sound.

Soulex posted:

:negative:

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Soulex posted:

loving Racists.
I think what they're saying is that if you're too stupid to understand why it's a bad idea, you probably shouldn't dress up as anything at all just in case you run across a mirror and get frightened by the unfamiliar reflection.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Spangly A posted:

I feel bad for Oliwan being triggered like this.

thanks op, appreciate the support for sure!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Dan Gosling has just admitted a charge by the FA for breaking betting rules multiple times

Bacon of the Sea
Oct 17, 2008

Dog Suicide Bridge BBQ Team 2k10
While Arsenal were battling to stay in the champs league, Nicklas Bendtner allegedly got really drunk and threatened to gently caress a taxi driver, then got out and tried to gently caress his taxi.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1991241-nicklas-bendtner-reportedly-in-drunken-fight-with-taxi-driver-during-arsenal-tie

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Bacon of the Sea posted:

While Arsenal were battling to stay in the champs league, Nicklas Bendtner allegedly got really drunk and threatened to gently caress a taxi driver, then got out and tried to gently caress his taxi.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1991241-nicklas-bendtner-reportedly-in-drunken-fight-with-taxi-driver-during-arsenal-tie

Bendtner's an alcoholic and it's ruined his career.

pdog
May 7, 2013
Not footballers technically, but:

quote:

Chelsea fans went on the rampage in a tourist area of central Paris on Wednesday night, making Nazi salutes and smashing up cafes and shops.

Dozens of fans, many of whom had been drinking in the Frog and Rosbif pub on Rue Saint-Denis, were pictured stampeding down a pedestrian street near the celebrated Pompidou Centre and Les Halles shopping centre. Witnesses said several made Nazi salutes and shouted English Defence League chants and racist abuse before attacking Paris Saint-Germain fans.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/apr/02/chelsea-fans-rampage-paris-champions-league

Standard Chelsea fans

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

pdog posted:

Standard Chelsea fans

Hm this must mean that all English fans are like this, better ban the whole lot.

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

We will become evil and the stars will come alive

pdog posted:

Standard Chelsea fans

i thought that as a club got richer it would somehow - by invisible hand, mayhaps - force out the hooligan element

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-26869337

Seven players from North West football league clubs have been arrested for alleged bribery and money laundering, with six previously arrested in relation to spot-fixing being re-arrested as part of NCA investigation.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

pdog posted:

Standard Chelsea fans

Nazi salutes? Couldn't even do a proper quenelle?

You're "offending" your owner either way, may as well make it topical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Gigi Galli posted:

Hm this must mean that all English fans are like this, better ban the whole lot.
Agreed.