Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

Monkey Fracas posted:

Gahh Nintendo how can you be so charming and so infuriatingly incompetent at the same time?

The best artists are usually the worst people. Nintendo is the Kanye West of videogames.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Bass Bottles posted:

The best artists are usually the worst people. Nintendo is the Kanye West of videogames.
I...

huh...

What? Does that mean that Obama is going to call Nintendo a jackass?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Chaltab posted:

What? Does that mean that Obama is going to call Nintendo a jackass?

That would require Nintendo to be relevant to anyone in 2014.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Sony doesn't care about Black people.

Phantasium posted:

That would require Nintendo to be relevant to anyone in 2014.
I understand this is the "bash the wii u" thread, but the 3DS is pretty much relevant. Also, Nintendo not selling Wii Us doesn't mean people forgot about the Marios, Pokemons, etc.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Mar 12, 2014

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

The Wii U and 3DS, are good.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
Nintendo is going to be at GDC this month, in the indie branch(really stretching the term indie there Nintendo) and the thing they're going to be talking about is their eShop release/publication stuff. Maybe it'll finally shed some light on why they are so bad at, well, everything related to the internet.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The 3DS is "kinda" relevant, I mean I would consider it a much larger problem for Nintendo than Wii U because its year to year is trending down significantly and the handhelds were supposed to be their safety net.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Neo Helbeast posted:

Nintendo is going to be at GDC this month, in the indie branch(really stretching the term indie there Nintendo) and the thing they're going to be talking about is their eShop release/publication stuff. Maybe it'll finally shed some light on why they are so bad at, well, everything related to the internet.

The indie branch are the indie devs who publish their games on the WIU/3DS eshop, not Nintendo themselves I assume.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Sakurai tacitly dissing the Wii U? Suppose it wouldn't take much to be impressed when even Sony's last-generation console is outselling it.

He's just being diplomatic. When Shu Yoshida said he thought the WiiU was pretty cool, that didn't mean the Ps4 was doing horribly and he was praying he could jump ship.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Neo Helbeast posted:

Maybe it'll finally shed some light on why they are so bad at, well, everything related to the internet.

It can't possibly shed any more light than them stating that they'd never tried their competitors' services.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Quest For Glory II posted:

The 3DS is "kinda" relevant, I mean I would consider it a much larger problem for Nintendo than Wii U because its year to year is trending down significantly and the handhelds were supposed to be their safety net.

It was literally the best-selling hardware last year and had 4 of the top 10 selling games. It is not performing as well as it should but trying to go "eeh, I guess it's kiiinda relevant" is silly.

The "Nintendo is completely worthless and nobody cares about them" argument is silly because if it was true this thread wouldn't even exist. They're still a fairly significant presence and while their star is waning barring some kind of major company shakeup they're not yet at the point where they are no longer relevant as a company. Even if they left the hardware market entirely they would still be a relevant force in gaming due to their handful of extremely valuable big-name IPs at least for the near future.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Mar 13, 2014

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Kurtofan posted:

The indie branch are the indie devs who publish their games on the WIU/3DS eshop, not Nintendo themselves I assume.

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/03/12/nintendo-host-indie-booth-gdc-explain-nintendo-eshop-release-process/

"Nintendo will be hosting an indie booth at the Game Developers Conference this year, the publisher announced this morning. Additionally, the company will also demonstrate to GDC attendees how its Nintendo Web Framework development tool was used to create a new game demo using the Mario vs. Donkey Kong franchise."

Sounds like it's Nintendo Reps who be there trying to drum up business.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Fallom posted:

It can't possibly shed any more light than them stating that they'd never tried their competitors' services.

We're at that stage where you could present a box with a red light on i labeled 'the Internet' and they'd accept it as true.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

ImpAtom posted:

It was literally the best-selling hardware last year and had 4 of the top 10 selling games. It is not performing as well as it should but trying to go "eeh, I guess it's kiiinda relevant" is silly.

The "Nintendo is completely worthless and nobody cares about them" argument is silly because if it was true this thread wouldn't even exist. They're still a fairly significant presence and while their star is waning barring some kind of major company shakeup they're not yet at the point where they are no longer relevant as a company. Even if they left the hardware market entirely they would still be a relevant force in gaming due to their handful of extremely valuable big-name IPs at least for the near future.

I'd say it's the opposite. Not barring some big company shakeup, but rather unless they have some big company shakeup they are going to become irrelevant.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

greatn posted:

I'd say it's the opposite. Not barring some big company shakeup, but rather unless they have some big company shakeup they are going to become irrelevant.

That is what barring means.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
My clauses are unclear. I mean to say: Not "barring some big shakeup", not "Not barring some big company shakeup"

He said barring some big shakeup they are fine.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

greatn posted:

My clauses are unclear. I mean to say: Not "barring some big shakeup", not "Not barring some big company shakeup"

He said barring some big shakeup they are fine.

I'm the one who posted that! "their star is waning barring some kind of major company shakeup" is the exact opposite of "they are fine." Trust me, I'm not arguing they are rainbows and sunshine and everything is fine forever, just that they have not yet reached the point they are irrelevant either

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Mar 13, 2014

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

greatn posted:

unless they have some big company shakeup they are going to become irrelevant.

They released the biggest console bomb since 1994 and all that happened was Iwata cut his salary a bit... I don't think a shakeup is likely. What will really make them irrelevant is if they bank everything on whatever non-wearable medical thing they're releasing next year.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Ahhh, sorry. My reading comprehension is completely shot right now I guess, side effect of a 2 hour monotonous quarterly meeting followed by having to work two hours over to do some monotonous reports.

greatn fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Mar 13, 2014

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

I think it will take a lot more than one failed console to make Nintendo irrelevant. It's not like the Wii U is even hurting for good games at this point; it has at least as many solid titles and more solid exclusives than the other gen 8 consoles. Nintendo hasn't lost their edge at making *games* which would pretty much be the only way for them to lose all relevance, even if they stopped making hardware.

But then that's the problem... they've become way too idiosyncratic with their hardware so that nobody but them is supporting it. Sometimes I think it would serve them merge with/become a subsidiary of a major tech company like Hitachi or Toshiba.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Chaltab posted:

I think it will take a lot more than one failed console to make Nintendo irrelevant. It's not like the Wii U is even hurting for good games at this point; it has at least as many solid titles and more solid exclusives than the other gen 8 consoles. Nintendo hasn't lost their edge at making *games* which would pretty much be the only way for them to lose all relevance, even if they stopped making hardware.

But then that's the problem... they've become way too idiosyncratic with their hardware so that nobody but them is supporting it. Sometimes I think it would serve them merge with/become a subsidiary of a major tech company like Hitachi or Toshiba.

please source your quotes

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

Source what quotes? This isn't the gamers.txt thread.

I'm not saying that's a plausible scenario, but it'd still probably be more effective than what they're doing now.

Chaltab fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Mar 13, 2014

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Nintendo of Australia/New Zealand only just got Twitter and Facebook accounts today, after apparently having to fight the parent company for permission for ages. It's a tiny thing, but it's indicative of how much the regional arms are being hamstrung in their marketing efforts by the Japanese side of things.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

The Kins posted:

Nintendo of Australia/New Zealand only just got Twitter and Facebook accounts today, after apparently having to fight the parent company for permission for ages. It's a tiny thing, but it's indicative of how much the regional arms are being hamstrung in their marketing efforts by the Japanese side of things.

What's your source on this? Just curious.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Chaltab posted:

Nintendo's management had literally not once interacted with Xbox Live or PSN in 10 years. They designed a console around a lovely outdated touchscreen controller apparently to catch the tablet wave, which had happened two or three years prior. They're charging $5 for short games from 30 years ago, almost never have sales, and have only a fraction of their backlog available for reasons that have in 8 years never been stated. They didn't have the online API and coding infrastructure for the WiiU available for developers until after launch. Their response to the popularity of games like GTA and Call of Duty was 'why would anyone want to play that' and their executives are on record saying so. They're about to invest a shitload of money in 'non wearable health technology', and seem completely convinced this will succeed and make all their problems vanish.

Like yeah they're not going to go bankrupt tomorrow but Nintendo is at least Blackberry incompetent, probably more. They've been making mistakes on the level of the Xbox One or the PS3 launch continually for like 20 years and now finally their luck has run out. And they don't even seem to realize that they're making mistakes in the first place. They seem to have literally no idea what they're doing wrong, and don't seem too concerned about it.

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Mar 13, 2014

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Viewtiful Jew posted:

The joy of seeing brand new 2D Mario artworks after years of those bland New Super Mario Bros. 3D renders.

Then the shame of realizing that they're for a webpage Nintendo designed to let Japanese consumers know that the Wii U is in fact a new console.

Not gonna lie, I'd buy the hell out of a 2D Mario drawn like this. Perhaps in the vein of that Wario game on Wii. That's be sweet as hell!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

The_Frag_Man posted:

What's your source on this? Just curious.
The arguing? I can't find it right now exactly, but IIRC it was a Nintendo Aus staffer telling a Vooks (biggish Aus Nintendo fansite) writer something to that effect off the record at some nerd convention.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

icantfindaname posted:

Nintendo's management had literally not once interacted with Xbox Live or PSN in 10 years. They designed a console around a lovely outdated touchscreen controller apparently to catch the tablet wave, which had happened two or three years prior. They're charging $5 for short games from 30 years ago, almost never have sales, and have only a fraction of their backlog available for reasons that have in 8 years never been stated. They didn't have the online API and coding infrastructure for the WiiU available for developers until after launch. Their response to the popularity of games like GTA and Call of Duty was 'why would anyone want to play that' and their executives are on record saying so. They're about to invest a shitload of money in 'non wearable health technology', and seem completely convinced this will succeed and make all their problems vanish.

Like yeah they're not going to go bankrupt tomorrow but Nintendo is at least Blackberry incompetent, probably more. They've been making mistakes on the level of the Xbox One or the PS3 launch continually for like 20 years and now finally their luck has run out. And they don't even seem to realize that they're making mistakes in the first place. They seem to have literally no idea what they're doing wrong, and don't seem too concerned about it.

At this point I just want them to fail soon rather than just continue to decay, because they need a proper shake-up or someone else to take over before any of these problems will get solved.

It's too much to hope for them to go third party, even though that would mean they could sell their games on a platform with an actual install base, and I wouldn't have a lump of plastic connected to the TV that collects dust for most of the year, but I wouldn't want to see them go handheld-only. I liked all their handheld systems up to the 3DS, but that system is just so archaic. I tried playing MGS3 on it for novelty's sake, but the game runs at 240p and can drop below 15 fps, and you need the CPP to aim properly. I might as well play it on the Vita, which is exactly like the PS2 version but in widescreen, or on the PS3 which is 720p60. Kingdom Hearts 3D runs like poo poo compared to Birth by Sleep on the PSP, and the camera was terrible until I got the CPP.

Until they release a new handheld that's 480p or greater, has a second analogue stick built-in, is more comfortable to hold, and can run PS2-quality games at a stable frame rate, then I'd rather put up with the Wii U. Third party games run terribly on it too, but unlike the 3DS there aren't any third party exclusives worth playing.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

That loving Sned posted:

Until they release a new handheld that's 480p or greater, has a second analogue stick built-in, is more comfortable to hold, and can run PS2-quality games at a stable frame rate
Such a handheld does exist though and up until very recently was doing even worse than the Wii U, though.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

PrBacterio posted:

Such a handheld does exist though and up until very recently was doing even worse than the Wii U, though.

Yeah, I've got it, and use it every day to play indie games like Spelunky and Olliolli. At the very least, it was recently the second best selling system in Japan, right behind the PS4. The screen's great, and the controls are too, but it doesn't have Animal Crossing, Pokemon, Mario, or Zelda.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Chaltab posted:

The Wii U has been out for like 12 months more than the other consoles. Despite this for good games you have - Monster Hunter, Lego City, NSMB, 3D World, W101, Pikmin and Donkey Kong. I have already said my piece about the NSMB series being tired and worn out already, but of those only NSMB, 3D World, and possibly Lego City have widespread appeal.

Monster Hunter is huge in Japan, but sells pretty niche everywhere else. W101 bombed like hell, no one wanted it in any region, and Donkey Kong was never all that popular post revival, if attach rate of Returns is to be trusted.

I am not even trying to just pick out exclusives.either, literally every multiplatform title has some kind of frame rate or graphical issue that makes it inferior to 360/PS3 versions, so you can play hit game Black Flag but watch out, it looks like a 360 games and runs at 20fps. Or hit game from over a year ago Mrkham City, but watch out with more than three guys on screen you'll be dropping to 25ish FPS.

The Wii U has problems with games because Nintendo is stupid. Nintendo can put out as many 'quality' games as it wants, but they have insulted and belittled third party devs, as well as created a console specifically built to give them the finger, so Nintendo games are all there will ever be on the console.

If you like every Nintendo game out it will look like a good deal, but that doesn't mean it has good offerings or is a good console.

Edit: basically you can enjoy something that is bad for most people, but don't claim that it actually is amazing.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

KittyEmpress posted:

The Wii U has been out for like 12 months more than the other consoles. Despite this for good games you have - Monster Hunter, Lego City, NSMB, 3D World, W101, Pikmin and Donkey Kong. I have already said my piece about the NSMB series being tired and worn out already, but of those only NSMB, 3D World, and possibly Lego City have widespread appeal.

Monster Hunter is huge in Japan, but sells pretty niche everywhere else. W101 bombed like hell, no one wanted it in any region, and Donkey Kong was never all that popular post revival, if attach rate of Returns is to be trusted.

I am not even trying to just pick out exclusives.either, literally every multiplatform title has some kind of frame rate or graphical issue that makes it inferior to 360/PS3 versions, so you can play hit game Black Flag but watch out, it looks like a 360 games and runs at 20fps. Or hit game from over a year ago Mrkham City, but watch out with more than three guys on screen you'll be dropping to 25ish FPS.

The Wii U has problems with games because Nintendo is stupid. Nintendo can put out as many 'quality' games as it wants, but they have insulted and belittled third party devs, as well as created a console specifically built to give them the finger, so Nintendo games are all there will ever be on the console.

If you like every Nintendo game out it will look like a good deal, but that doesn't mean it has good offerings or is a good console.

Edit: basically you can enjoy something that is bad for most people, but don't claim that it actually is amazing.

I don't think anyone will argue that the Wii U isn't a bad console; hell, it's fuckin' terrible. It does have good games, though, all of which come from Nintendo because they have been giving third parties the cold shoulder for more than a decade and this is the ultimate result of that. They can put out the best goddamn games ever and it's still probably not going to matter too much- they alone simply cannot crank out enough games to make the console look worth it for most people.

It's pretty much over for the Wii U, but they do have to support the thing for another couple of years before they try again so people don't just lose all confidence in the company. It's really a shame because the games they make are still good, but supporting a console by yourself as a company is almost impossible for the amount of manhours modern games require. I don't know what they're going to do, but it better be something loving different than they've been doing for the last decade.

I guess if they just eventually go under in the future the games aren't going away anyways. Mario on the PS5!

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I honestly would like for Nintendo to have a huge blunder. They need something huge like MK8 bricking PAL consoles and then going 'well it works fine in japan you people must be breaking it' or something similarly terrible. To justify sacking all of upper Nintendo. Remove anyone who has been in the company since the SNES so they stop running Nintendo like the SNES just came out.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Monkey Fracas posted:

I guess if they just eventually go under in the future the games aren't going away anyways. Mario on the PS5!

Let's monkey's paw that and add: Made by Double Helix.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

KittyEmpress posted:

I honestly would like for Nintendo to have a huge blunder. They need something huge like MK8 bricking PAL consoles and then going 'well it works fine in japan you people must be breaking it' or something similarly terrible. To justify sacking all of upper Nintendo. Remove anyone who has been in the company since the SNES so they stop running Nintendo like the SNES just came out.

I don't want my console to be bricked, you big jerk! :mad:

VVVVV: Brits?! Insults over injury :france:

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Mar 13, 2014

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Heh, America wins again, brits :smug:

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

KittyEmpress posted:

I honestly would like for Nintendo to have a huge blunder.

I know it's early to say this but the Non Wearable Health Device sounds like a pretty huge blunder. Anyone who's really serious about health won't take a Nintendo HealthDS seriously, anyone who's into gaming has no reason to buy a HealthDS, and knowing Nintendo it will probably release at $100 more than what it should cost.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Polo-Rican posted:

knowing Nintendo it will probably release at $100 more than what it should cost.

Having said that, this is a huge improvement over what medical devices typically cost.

I remember shortly after the Wii Balance Board came out there was a site that did a breakdown of it vs. a $30k device and it was extremely close.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Polo-Rican posted:

I know it's early to say this but the Non Wearable Health Device sounds like a pretty huge blunder. Anyone who's really serious about health won't take a Nintendo HealthDS seriously, anyone who's into gaming has no reason to buy a HealthDS, and knowing Nintendo it will probably release at $100 more than what it should cost.

Seems like they're just kinda desperately flailing with that, yeah.

"gently caress, Wii Fit sold pretty well- let's do something vaguely related to that! NO TIME TO THINK ABOUT IT GO GO GO"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Kurtofan posted:

I don't want my console to be bricked, you big jerk! :mad:

VVVVV: Brits?! Insults over injury :france:

I am sorry you have the misfortune of living in one of the number one most likely places to be hosed over by Nintendo.

I didn't choose PAL because yay American a but because Nintendo is notoriously Real Bad at PAL support, aren't they?

• Locked thread