Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

The information would have dual purpose. To tell the kids the effects and possible consequences and, this is major, to reduce harm.

The more people know about possible major side effects or expected behaviour from a bad trip the better those cases can be managed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crigit
Sep 6, 2011

I'll show you my naval if you show me yours.
Let's get naut'y.

idonotlikepeas posted:

Studies have shown that the best way to prevent kids from doing drugs is to lay out information about the risks that is as close to 100% accurate as you can make it. It still doesn't have a huge effect, but it's tons better than feeding them crap they are inevitably going to find out is wrong. Nevertheless, the "scared straight" meme persists.

For what it's worth, this is exactly the strategy that my school and parents used way back when, and I have never had any interest in drinks or drugs. It's certain possible that I am incredibly boring, though.

Crigit fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Mar 13, 2014

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
A bunch of straight-edge boring people in this here thread. Variety and experimentation is the spice of life, friends! :drugnerd: :guinness: :jenkem:

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Gimbal lock posted:

A bunch of straight-edge boring people in this here thread. Variety and experimentation is the spice of life, friends! :drugnerd: :guinness: :jenkem:

We watch other people play video games for fun, of course we're a bunch of straight-edge dorks.

Hermetian
Dec 9, 2007
The one thing about weed that nobody talks about is that inhaling smoke is loving terrible for your body, whether it's a cigarette or a joint or even burning wood. Pro-weed doesn't want to because why would you when you're fighting a political battle. Anti-weed doesn't either, because once you start talking about mundane things like lung cancer the whole reefer madness narrative goes straight up in smoke.

Basically what I'm saying is that vaporizers are awesome and you should use one. Harm reduction, bitches.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

Agent Interrobang posted:

I absolutely believe that some drugs should definitely be illegal. For example, I've experienced PCP first hand; nobody should have that stuff. But the more of the relatively safe drugs we legalize(and let's be clear, pot is no more harmful to you than alcohol, and arguably less so), the easier it is for the police to deal with things that are actually dangerous.

You've experienced PCP first hand, eh? Then you should be in prison. Wouldn't you be better off in prison?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I like the conspiracy corner videos, but it's all anyone seems to want to talk about.

That said, it's not like much happened this video. A lesser game would probably have you fighting exploding junkies.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Maremidon posted:

I like the conspiracy corner videos, but it's all anyone seems to want to talk about.

That said, it's not like much happened this video. A lesser game would probably have you fighting exploding junkies.

I see you're not familiar with UNATCO's Anti-Narco-Terror Division.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
Shooting surrendering civilians with rocket launchers? Seems like normal UNATCO procedure, yeah.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

His strutting is augmented.

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay

Hermetian posted:

The one thing about weed that nobody talks about is that inhaling smoke is loving terrible for your body, whether it's a cigarette or a joint or even burning wood. Pro-weed doesn't want to because why would you when you're fighting a political battle. Anti-weed doesn't either, because once you start talking about mundane things like lung cancer the whole reefer madness narrative goes straight up in smoke.

Basically what I'm saying is that vaporizers are awesome and you should use one. Harm reduction, bitches.

edibles 24-7 son.

GauRocks
Jun 2, 2008

Maremidon posted:

To be fair, a surprisingly large number of these junkies (more than zero) seem to have access to LAMs...

I think the gameplay discussion is basically guaranteed to be minimal thanks to the spoiler rule. Very few people are going to be posting in the thread without having played the game themselves, so unless it's one of those interesting unexplained mysteries or an obscure secret, there's not a lot to talk about.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!
(Edit: Jesus this went long. Sorry for the wall of text, though I think it's a helpful perspective.)

So, drugs.

I have an uncle who was an alcoholic and a depressive; without counseling and treatment he took his own life in his kitchen, leaving behind a widow and two sons.

I have two other relative, both women, who are on fairly massive amounts of schedule III and II narcotics/pain relievers. Like, to the point where any single pill from most of what they take have known street values. One of them basically crawled into the pill bottle and never came out, readjusting her entire life towards the acquisition of more drugs, including the standard lying, cheating, stealing, running to mexico to get bundles of pills on top of getting prescriptions from three different doctors under two different names, draining her saving, her child's inheritance, and her mother's funds as well, only ending when her mother died and she lost the hostages her campaign of emotional terrorism had taken. She now lives alone in a tiny apartment with no one to talk to and a son who dreads letting her see her own grandchildren. She will die lonely, miserable, and pathetic for want of chasing a pleasant numbness her entire adult life.

The other one has a chronic pain condition, degenerative but thankfully not terminal, and spends most of her life in a recliner on top of a rube goldberg devices of pillows, heating pads, and icepacks. The pills she takes are about as strong as you can get and still be legal, and it doesn't even eradicate the pain entirely, it just lowers it to the point where it's not the only thing she can mentally process. She's had to switch doctors dozens of times, after the likes of Rush Limbaugh are caught downing fistfuls of Oxycontin your the musculo-skeletal equivalent of a stubbed toe and doctors don't want to be investigated by the DEA for "enabling drug-seeking behavior". On the days she feels good enough- not good, but good enough- she does chores for her family, because she feels like she doesn't contribute enough. It's bizarre seeing her children implore their mother to not do the dishes, to let them sweep the floor, but she's been a housewife for 30 years and it's all she knows. She lives in constant fear of my other relative and being compared to her, because all people see is "taking narcotics" and judge from there. (This relative is one of the ones my other relative has stolen drugs from, by the way.) She derives no pleasure from the drugs, gets no escape; they enable her some chance at a handicapped life, instead of one indistinguishable from comatose.

Now for me. I have reasons of my own for some schedule II narcotics, though thankfully in a "once or twice a month" sense, not "Multiple daily doses". I can understand, intellectually, the appeal of the fuzzy, lightheaded, disconnected feeling, but having only ever taken it in response to vomit-inducing pain, I suppose I've conditioned myself to not associate the feeling, although pleasant in itself, with any kind of pleasant circumstance. I do however drink alcohol, usually socially but sometimes medicinally, and by medicinally I mean "Mixing with certain medicines to briefly enhance their potency and effect and render me unconscious long enough for the medicine to work and the episode to pass." I have little taste for beers, I found one I liked and I stick with it, and have a fondness for experimenting with other mixed drinks, just for the different taste sensations, same as I experiment with food. I've never set out to "get smashed" because I see no point to it. I have no trouble sleeping, under normal circumstances, so drinking to unconsciousness is a waste of time and money.

That said, as an epileptic through my childhood I became engrossed with the ways one's brain can lie to you. Hallucinations from fever are something I've experienced, and I wouldn't turn down a chance for LSD or shrooms in a controlled environment, just to see how my perceptions could be altered. Strictly in an academic sense, and I'm sure after one try I could be relied on to not seek them out again. Much like bungie jumping, it's something I wanted to experience once and never again, simply as an exercise in seeing how one's perceptions can be so radically filtered from (what passes for) objective reality.

So, there is no simple "Drugs are _____" answer, because their use isn't simple. It's a slow, insidious thing, and requires constant vigilance. But sometimes, you need that edge scientific progress has brought in the form of pharmaceuticals. The morality of it is up for debate, but it's certainly better that we have drugs than we don't, as a society. The negative consequences of recreational drug use and abuse certainly are outweighed with the number of surgeries and antibiotics and other live-saving and life-bettering drugs that have come into the world alongside them. And you can't just say "don't make opioids" because half of every drug out there was found by accident, it seems. Penicillin, Nitrous Oxide, Methotrexate, etc.

I guess I don't have a real conclusion to offer, except to say that it all comes down to a variety of influences and factors, and sadly, being low-income and black stacks a lot of those factors against you from the word go.

And I for one am not letting No Gravitas off the hook for his moronic comment no matter how many pages he waits to come back to the thread. Answer to that poo poo, yo. :mad:

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

What's with the E/N derails :staredog: The guy hasn't posted in here for a while, so there's no need to dredge it back up.

Hey guys, howsabout this game? It's got robots and conspiracy theories and stuff. Ooh, and the realistic accents, let's not forget those :frogc00l:

Livewire42
Oct 2, 2013

Geop posted:

What's with the E/N derails :staredog: The guy hasn't posted in here for a while, so there's no need to dredge it back up.

Hey guys, howsabout this game? It's got robots and conspiracy theories and stuff. Ooh, and the realistic accents, let's not forget those :frogc00l:

The reason I never do Tong's ending isn't because the ending is objectively stupid,it's because his voice is so annoying, and he never shuts up. In Paris I much prefer listening to Daedalus scream at me about how he'll dissect and kill me than I do Tong blab about whatever.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Livewire42 posted:

The reason I never do Tong's ending isn't because the ending is objectively stupid,it's because his voice is so annoying, and he never shuts up. In Paris I much prefer listening to Daedalus scream at me about how he'll dissect and kill me than I do Tong blab about whatever.

Icarus! :pseudo:

And those messages freaked me out the first time I played. I kept expecting a SHODAN-like event.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

OAquinas posted:

Icarus! :pseudo:

And those messages freaked me out the first time I played. I kept expecting a SHODAN-like event.

Best thing is if you continue reading the public announcement booths (like in unatco's kitchenette) and pick up the phone. When I first played it as a kid, that made me alt-f4 the game instantly.

Then 10 minutes restart because I need to know.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

sugar & spice & psychoactive mushrooms
Tracer Tong ALWAYS bugged the crap out of me, not even due to the HIGHLY REALISTIC ACCENT but due to the contrast between his stated motives and the motives that would actually make sense for a man in his position. Oh yeah, he sounds all noble, 'blow up the system to level the playing field for the common man.' Except that leaves him and his organization sitting on top of Hong Kong(and by extension, the rest of southern China) with nano-swords that will cut through nearly anything, a staggering amount of conventional weaponry, tons of traditional connections to black markets that didn't operate digitally, and of course Tong himself is a technical genius who can probably construct a supercomputer out of spare parts in an afternoon.

I never felt like Tong was helping you because he had ANY belief in the fundamental nobility of the human spirit or any of that crap. Dude's not some wondrous magical hacktivist; he's the leader of a heavily-armed, extremely violent criminal organization. I think he just wanted to be the king sitting on top of the pile of smoking rubble.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Agent Interrobang posted:

Tracer Tong ALWAYS bugged the crap out of me, not even due to the HIGHLY REALISTIC ACCENT but due to the contrast between his stated motives and the motives that would actually make sense for a man in his position. Oh yeah, he sounds all noble, 'blow up the system to level the playing field for the common man.' Except that leaves him and his organization sitting on top of Hong Kong(and by extension, the rest of southern China) with nano-swords that will cut through nearly anything, a staggering amount of conventional weaponry, tons of traditional connections to black markets that didn't operate digitally, and of course Tong himself is a technical genius who can probably construct a supercomputer out of spare parts in an afternoon.

I never felt like Tong was helping you because he had ANY belief in the fundamental nobility of the human spirit or any of that crap. Dude's not some wondrous magical hacktivist; he's the leader of a heavily-armed, extremely violent criminal organization. I think he just wanted to be the king sitting on top of the pile of smoking rubble.

Tong is a crook pure and simple. DXHR ground that in.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.
Not to mention that his ending involves, y'know, blowing up the internet.

Anything at all that blows up the internet is, by definition, the Worst Thing.

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

Edward_Tohr posted:

Not to mention that his ending involves, y'know, blowing up the internet.

Anything at all that blows up the internet is, by definition, the Worst Thing.

But gamers are the worst thing, remember that one time they said something mean and/or stupid?

Kill all the internets.

EdibleBodyParts
Dec 27, 2005
Body Parts...that are edible
I am loving the LP.

I just wanted to bring up a couple things from the first Hell's Kitchen video.

The guys in the clinic talk about the Squalnomie battle, which broke my brain the first time through as a resident of Washington state. It is an obvious twist on Snoqualmie, which is the name for a tribe native to the area, city, major mountain pass, river, waterfall, etc., so it is something heard often in the area. Not calling it the original name stands out to me like jumbling up any of the New York names would: Gualardia, Brynlook, Hanmattan.

Second, I just wanted to point out that Paul's email from Vibrant Video is signed Marcy Plaigrond.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Tong is a crook pure and simple. DXHR ground that in.
Yeah I'm sure that 16 year old kid running for the boat is a hardcore crook.

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
LP is great. If you kill the kid during your first visit in Battery Park (:twisted:), does he come back?

Also, the next section is the worst stealth section.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Yeah I'm sure that 16 year old kid running for the boat is a hardcore crook.

In the DLC you get some face time with Lil' Tracer that backs up homeboy's theory. That ending is still rad though, especially with the ulterior motives in play.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

AstroWhale posted:

LP is great. If you kill the kid during your first visit in Battery Park (:twisted:), does he come back?

Also, the next section is the worst stealth section.

Confirmed. If you shoot Billy dead on your first trip to Battery Park (this being back when you could get away with murdering children in video games), then dead and gone he will remain during your second visit.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Confirmed. If you shoot Billy dead on your first trip to Battery Park (this being back when you could get away with murdering children in video games), then dead and gone he will remain during your second visit.

Not only did Deus Ex let you murder children, they made it so goddamn satisfying.

Please tell me you're going to find a creative way to end Louis Pan.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

KillHour posted:

Not only did Deus Ex let you murder children, they made it so goddamn satisfying.

Please tell me you're going to find a creative way to end Louis Pan.

Normally killing children is something I try not to talk about because it's just distasteful as all hell.

But for this little poo poo, I'd really like to see what Bobbin has in store.

IronCastKnight
Jul 27, 2013
I'm hoping he feeds the fat little bastard a lam sandwich. Or maybe some lam chops. Or some lam and mint jelly.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Basically you just want him to experience a true taste explosion.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Flare dart :supaburn:

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

:devil:

bman in 2288 posted:

Normally killing children is something I try not to talk about because it's just distasteful as all hell.

But for this little poo poo, I'd really like to see what Bobbin has in store.

There is another kid which is way worse.

A Pair Of Ducks
Dec 16, 2009

Pierzak posted:

Flare dart :supaburn:

Nothing was more satisfying in Invisible War than getting the Hellfire Bolter then setting people on fire. Or penguins.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

A Pair Of Ducks posted:

Nothing was more satisfying in Invisible War than getting the Hellfire Bolter then setting people on fire.

Hah, totall-

quote:

Or penguins.

You monster.

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
What penguins? I can't find a video.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

AstroWhale posted:

What penguins? I can't find a video.

They're found near the secret Antarctic base.

Doctor_Blueninja
Oct 23, 2012

Just some guy with a college doctorate and a passing knowledge of what it means to be a ninja.

chiasaur11 posted:

They're found near the secret Antarctic base.

And in the secret ending.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

AstroWhale posted:

There is another kid which is way worse.

I'm drawing a blank here... What kid in the game is even more annoying than Louis Pan? I guess there's that kid in Paris who has an annoying voice but he isn't a straight up little bitch rear end punk like Louis.

As for Louis Pan's fate in this LP hopefully it involves some mixture of the mass summon command, TNT crates, Karkians, the Hong Kong canals, and bouncing cats.

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009

Fabulousity posted:

I'm drawing a blank here... What kid in the game is even more annoying than Louis Pan? I guess there's that kid in Paris who has an annoying voice but he isn't a straight up little bitch rear end punk like Louis.

As for Louis Pan's fate in this LP hopefully it involves some mixture of the mass summon command, TNT crates, Karkians, the Hong Kong canals, and bouncing cats.

I actually meant Louis. Didn't saw he was already mentioned. :bang:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
I love the music in this game; it's just noticeable enough but not intrusive and it fits the setting perfectly.

• Locked thread