Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
I'm bored. Anybody got any good themes for March Madness-esque TV brackets?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

DivisionPost posted:

Nuremberg.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
TVIVers and their relativity to Hitler.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

hcreight posted:

TVIVers and their relativity to Hitler.

Or maybe a six degrees of separation...from Hitler

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

DivisionPost posted:

Best live-action SF&F-based Sitcoms: ALF, Quark, Red Dwarf, Sabrina TTW, The Charmings, Maniac Mansion, Scorch, Small Wonder, etc.

It's such a niche that almost always seems to fail, has a few successes, but gets tried quite often despite it.

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Mar 13, 2014

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

GreenNight posted:

So it's cool now to think GoT is crap? Why didn't anyone tell me.
Obama likes it. Therefore we must hate it.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

DivisionPost posted:

Single episode sitcoms.

For example, Heil Honey, I'm Home!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Watching House of Cards pisses me off so much because of their incorrect usage of the rowing machine. Neither Frank nor Claire bothered to learn proper technique. At one point Frank says he does 500 meters in 1:35. That's like Olympic level athlete. loving bullshit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AMGNv957Xg

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

precision posted:

It's also pretty good. Not in the same ways that Deadwood was, for sure, but it's drat entertaining anyway.

And I say that as someone who really, REALLY hates the books.

This is a pretty ridiculous position to take, since the show is just a CliffsNotes of the books. Dumbed and scaled down, thinned out, less grandiose and rich, but essentially the same. It seems weird to pour so much energy into hating something, but then stan really hard for the synopsis version of it.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I never thought I'd enjoy country music but then Archer season 5 happened.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Austrian mook posted:

Sounds like you've never heard country music!

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

scary ghost dog posted:

Sounds like you've never heard country music!

No! I actually never have!

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Austrian mook posted:

No! I actually never have!

It's quite good. Check out Keller & the Keels.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Joramun posted:

This is a pretty ridiculous position to take, since the show is just a CliffsNotes of the books. Dumbed and scaled down, thinned out, less grandiose and rich, but essentially the same. It seems weird to pour so much energy into hating something, but then stan really hard for the synopsis version of it.

Well, no? I hate the books because they're poorly written in ways that piss me off endlessly, and frankly the show giving them the "Cliff's Notes" treatment improves the material because it cuts out so much needless chaff.

The show also has the benefit of letting you look at a cool scene instead of reading some very bad writer describe it for several paragraphs/pages of prose so purple it's popping blood vessels.

Is it really hard to understand this? :confused:

Also me saying, once in the past, like, 6 months or a year, that I hate the books, is pretty, pretty far from "pouring so much energy" into it.

edit: The show also has better written dialogue much of the time. In my opinion. Not as a matter of objective truth.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Joramun posted:

The Godfather movie is "just" a CliffsNotes of the book but I think it's fairly safe to say that a person could consider the movie a masterpiece without really caring for the book.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

...of SCIENCE! posted:

The Godfather movie is "just" a CliffsNotes of the book but I think it's fairly safe to say that a person could consider the movie a masterpiece without really caring for the book.

All books are inherently better than all TV and Movies because books make you use your mind and imagination rather than melt your brain :smug:

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

...of SCIENCE! posted:

This is your reminder that the book The Godfather had a multi-chapter plotline about the extremely large vagina of the woman Sonny was having an affair with that ended in a celebration of the wonder of vaginoplasty.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

DivisionPost posted:

Battles between shows in the same time slot?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

whowhatwhere posted:

This is your reminder that the book The Godfather had a multi-chapter plotline about the extremely large vagina of the woman Sonny was having an affair with that ended in a celebration of the wonder of vaginoplasty.

Christ, they had vaginoplasty in the 50s? This is almost as unnerving as when I found out via the John Adams miniseries how they did vaccinations in the 18th century.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Austrian mook posted:

All books are inherently better than all TV and Movies because books make you use your mind and imagination rather than melt your brain :smug:
I don't even own a TV. :smug:

Ungoal
Mar 13, 2014

by XyloJW

Cardboard Box A posted:

Obama likes it. Therefore we must hate it.

I just started watching Game Of Thrones a few days ago and I'm currently half way through the second season. So far I really like it; it's entertaining. Over the past few years I've constantly heard nothing but praise and criticism of the show. From what I've seen so far it's obvious the criticism is directed towards the amount of violence and nudity, which is really stupid. This is 2014 people, if you haven't seen boobs on T.V. by now then you're an anomaly.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

A lot of people don't like all the rape

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
My reaction to GoT seems strange to me. It's a fantasy show with battles, sex, and now even dragons, but I don't enjoy it. Contrarily, True Detective is a character study which I normally hate and I loved it. HBO, what the gently caress are you doing to my tastes? :argh:

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Fateo McMurray posted:

Except the show doesn't have any rape. A couple of attempted rapes, sure, but nothing explicit like the book.

Ungoal
Mar 13, 2014

by XyloJW

Fateo McMurray posted:

This is too much of a sensitive subject not to mention a :can: with regards to the show so I'm just going to pass on it.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

My reaction to GoT seems strange to me. It's a fantasy show with battles, sex, and now even dragons, but I don't enjoy it. Contrarily, True Detective is a character study which I normally hate and I loved it. HBO, what the gently caress are you doing to my tastes? :argh:

Violence, profanity, and nudity/sex doesn't bother me on TV shows anymore, and every show on HBO has it's share of each. All three of these definitely make shows like True Detective & Boardwalk Empire have a more authentic & realistic feel to them.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Austrian mook posted:

We got both kinds of music here, Country AND Western.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ahah Jesse Plemons is on the short list for the new Star Wars movie lead. :getin:

Tibeerius
Feb 22, 2007

Yoshifan823 posted:

Want more unnecessary yelling about which TV show is better? Vulture's doing one of their bracket thingies about the best season of reality television ever. I'm already mad because they picked the wrong season of Top Chef, but I'm sure most of you will be much more offended at Real Housewives of Atlanta toppling Amazing Race in the first round.
Season 6 was awesome! Pork Jesus and the Voltaggios (and many other great chefs) forgoing all the usual whiny reality show bullshit, and just making plate after plate of kickass food.

Which season would you have picked?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Keep it real Oklahoma:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8K-LrJkEDc

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

Ungoal posted:

From what I've seen so far it's obvious the criticism is directed towards the amount of violence and nudity, which is really stupid. This is 2014 people, if you haven't seen boobs on T.V. by now then you're an anomaly.

Ive criticized the role of nudity on Game Of Thrones before, although my complaint probably isn't what you were anticipating since its not based in any aversion to sex or discomfort. Its the tenancy for a lot of the nudity used in the show to come off as pandering that leaves a bad impression on me. The nudity isn't really the annoyance, its just the manifestation of the real annoyance, unneeded and somewhat distracting pandering.

Its been awhile since I watched it so I'm not able to provide a litany of examples, but generally the type of nudity in the show had been veering away from actual characters in notable scenes and towards this semi-random nudity/sex of nameless characters played by adult-film stars with scenes or backdrops feels sort of worked in afterwords rather than organic.

And meanwhile we have things like this this fantastic moment with Brienne and Jamie bathing together that should have been absolute perfection but it shies away from the explicit in the end. That scene may not communicate whatever "pure raw sexuality" the producers are going for with all the adult-film stars, but it is meant to ultimately be this moment of awkward eroticism that's vastly more intriguing. Their very bodies are meant to convey a world of meaning, identity, and confrontation/realization between these two characters. And here we have a visual medium where the perfection of all those elements coming together could fully be realized... and instead they literally half-rear end the moment instead, with a shot indistinguishable from any basic-cable drama and its limitations on the human body. That final call to film it like that is supported by any number of weak rationalizations, but none worthy of blocking a motivated creative force from realizing that scene's vast potential.

I was also going to write about the examples of pandering with violence that overextend their hand. But I ended up writing a ton more than I had intended up above so I'll skip most of that for now, save one example of a contrasting scene and then one example of what I am referring to. By pandering with violence I don't mean super horrific examples of violence like that brutal assassination of a pregnant woman---I'm just mentioning that one because there were media complaints about it going to far---personally I loved it as this complete overkill portayed realistically grim, conveying all the emotion of the perpetrators and horror of the audience.

There aren't a lot of pandering moments like this one IIRC, but the part I completely loathe is in that scene of the The Hound rescuing Sansa from the mob about to rape her. That first heroic introduction of the Hound in the scene has this moment of him slowly lifting the impaled rapist into the air (feet dangling from the ground) with his sword before his entrails split to the ground. Its already suppose to be this "gently caress yeah" moment where he saves her and brutally slaughters her attackers, but that extension of ultraviolence with that slow pan that seems to last an eternity combined with the zombie-movie gore creates this disconnect from general tone of the show. They could have gotten the same "gently caress yeah" feeling and a similarly brutal approach with something far more grounded like a sudden knife twisting in the neck of rapist to reveal the Hound standing offscreen. But the current way its filmed that one moment ends up shouting "gently caress YEAH" so loud (and right over the shoulder of a viewer) enough to take me out out the scene entirely and recognize it as bizarre.

So here I've written up a ton of words with probably a double dip of typos about this vaguely defined reaction of mine to pandering behavior I perceive from aspects of the show that we could really do without or at least do much better. Hopefully I could communicate this clearly enough that people can relate to it on some level (even if they don't agree about these moments). And I did all this knowing most people people will probably scroll past this long rear end post cause hell that's probably what I would do too... so here I am talking to maybe one or two people that will read this far: howdy, hope you have a good day.

Anyway... if the textwall above didn't make it clear already, I'm pretty drat fond of sex and violence too. I bring up issue with those elements in the show but only so much as it relates to this show (any show really) resorting to that basic "hey this is what you like, right? right?" which actually does bug me and seems beneath the other great things the show can do. That sort of pandering element I perceive ends up having the opposite effect on me, creating this impression that--for lack of a better word--theyre underestimating the audience and may not realize even if audiences do eat that stuff up thats not the part of the show drawing them in week after week.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I still enjoy True Blood quite a bit.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Mu Zeta posted:

Watching House of Cards pisses me off so much because of their incorrect usage of the rowing machine. Neither Frank nor Claire bothered to learn proper technique. At one point Frank says he does 500 meters in 1:35. That's like Olympic level athlete. loving bullshit.

I'm gonna be walking tall today knowing that I am apparently an Olympic level rower.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

There aren't a lot of pandering moments like this one IIRC, but the part I completely loathe is in that scene of the The Hound rescuing Sansa from the mob about to rape her. That first heroic introduction of the Hound in the scene has this moment of him slowly lifting the impaled rapist into the air (feet dangling from the ground) with his sword before his entrails split to the ground. Its already suppose to be this "gently caress yeah" moment where he saves her and brutally slaughters her attackers, but that extension of ultraviolence with that slow pan that seems to last an eternity combined with the zombie-movie gore creates this disconnect from general tone of the show. They could have gotten the same "gently caress yeah" feeling and a similarly brutal approach with something far more grounded like a sudden knife twisting in the neck of rapist to reveal the Hound standing offscreen. But the current way its filmed that one moment ends up shouting "gently caress YEAH" so loud (and right over the shoulder of a viewer) enough to take me out out the scene entirely and recognize it as bizarre.

I actually disagree here- both the sexual assault, and Clegane "riding to the rescue" are utterly horrifying to Sansa, and I think this is absolutely the point. I think both the book and TV series are somewhat skeptical of this sort of heroic violence- fights tend to be these nasty, brutal things, rather than swashbuckling affairs. It sort of fits the character of the Hound too- this is someone who'd be a pretty standard "badass" anti-hero, except the show and series also take pains to remind you that he's the same guy who murdered a kid in like, the second episode. This is sort of beside the point, but I remember people were posting .gifs of slow-motion swordplay in Spartacus and comparing it favorably to GOT's comparatively clumsy violence, but, jesus, isn't that kind of the point? Could you imagine the disconnect if people were actually doing Crouching Tiger moves all over the place?

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Mar 13, 2014

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Fag Boy Jim posted:

I actually disagree here- both the sexual assault, and Clegane "riding to the rescue" are utterly horrifying to Sansa, and I think this is absolutely the point.

Yes, this was my take-away as well. There is no clean violence that heroes can use to rescue people. Clegane is to the rapists as they were to Sansa, and she's just lucky that the greater monster has a temporary interest in her being alive and unharmed.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Ive criticized the role of nudity on Game Of Thrones before, although my complaint probably isn't what you were anticipating since its not based in any aversion to sex or discomfort. Its the tenancy for a lot of the nudity used in the show to come off as pandering that leaves a bad impression on me. The nudity isn't really the annoyance, its just the manifestation of the real annoyance, unneeded and somewhat distracting pandering.

Its been awhile since I watched it so I'm not able to provide a litany of examples, but generally the type of nudity in the show had been veering away from actual characters in notable scenes and towards this semi-random nudity/sex of nameless characters played by adult-film stars with scenes or backdrops feels sort of worked in afterwords rather than organic.

And meanwhile we have things like this this fantastic moment with Brienne and Jamie bathing together that should have been absolute perfection but it shies away from the explicit in the end. That scene may not communicate whatever "pure raw sexuality" the producers are going for with all the adult-film stars, but it is meant to ultimately be this moment of awkward eroticism that's vastly more intriguing. Their very bodies are meant to convey a world of meaning, identity, and confrontation/realization between these two characters. And here we have a visual medium where the perfection of all those elements coming together could fully be realized... and instead they literally half-rear end the moment instead, with a shot indistinguishable from any basic-cable drama and its limitations on the human body. That final call to film it like that is supported by any number of weak rationalizations, but none worthy of blocking a motivated creative force from realizing that scene's vast potential.

I was also going to write about the examples of pandering with violence that overextend their hand. But I ended up writing a ton more than I had intended up above so I'll skip most of that for now, save one example of a contrasting scene and then one example of what I am referring to. By pandering with violence I don't mean super horrific examples of violence like that brutal assassination of a pregnant woman---I'm just mentioning that one because there were media complaints about it going to far---personally I loved it as this complete overkill portayed realistically grim, conveying all the emotion of the perpetrators and horror of the audience.

So here I've written up a ton of words with probably a double dip of typos about this vaguely defined reaction of mine to pandering behavior I perceive from aspects of the show that we could really do without or at least do much better. Hopefully I could communicate this clearly enough that people can relate to it on some level (even if they don't agree about these moments). And I did all this knowing most people people will probably scroll past this long rear end post cause hell that's probably what I would do too... so here I am talking to maybe one or two people that will read this far: howdy, hope you have a good day.

Anyway... if the textwall above didn't make it clear already, I'm pretty drat fond of sex and violence too. I bring up issue with those elements in the show but only so much as it relates to this show (any show really) resorting to that basic "hey this is what you like, right? right?" which actually does bug me and seems beneath the other great things the show can do. That sort of pandering element I perceive ends up having the opposite effect on me, creating this impression that--for lack of a better word--theyre underestimating the audience and may not realize even if audiences do eat that stuff up thats not the part of the show drawing them in week after week.

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1721421/girls-true-blood-game-of-thrones-nudity-comparison.jhtml

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Ive criticized the role of nudity on Game Of Thrones before,...

I just wanted to let everyone know that I read this without pants on.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

Fag Boy Jim posted:

I actually disagree here- both the sexual assault, and Clegane "riding to the rescue" are utterly horrifying to Sansa, and I think this is absolutely the point. I think both the book and TV series are somewhat skeptical of this sort of heroic violence- fights tend to be these nasty, brutal things, rather than swashbuckling affairs. This is sort of beside the point, but I remember people were posting .gifs of slow-motion swordplay in Spartacus and comparing it favorably to GOT's comparatively clumsy violence, but, jesus, isn't that kind of the point? Could you imagine the disconnect if people were actually doing Crouching Tiger moves all over the place?

You're definitely right about everything here and especially how horrific it still is for Sansa, warping that knight in shining armor notion right away with the blood and gore of her rescue just as intertwined with the trauma of her potential rape. With that "gently caress yeah" angle I was describing, I meant that was this saving grace for the audience where the scene builds up so intensely that you really get the impression Sansa is about to be raped before we are spared that by the appearance of the Hound seemingly from nowhere who then appeases our worried audience by violently slaughtering the would-be rapists for their sins.

Also yeah I love the heavy, clumsy combat too. In fact the part of that scene I was trying to describe that doesn't work for me is the one bit that goes against that aspect of the show. I looked up the scene again and its only about 4-5 seconds long (weird for that to stick with me so well as such a distraction), but its Clegane grabbing him from the crowd and lifting him up into the air before then impaling him and then the guts spilling out. I had remembered it as the impaling him up into the air which changes things, although both iterations are still somewhat out of place.

One thing I hadnt noticed before though was the way that specific angled shot (and probably the entire intent behind having Clegane life him into the air) where the intenses fall to the ground was to give the ground angle POV of Sansa which it then cuts to. That is a pretty good cut.

SymfonyMan posted:

I just wanted to let everyone know that I read this without pants on.

I do not object

EvilTobaccoExec fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Mar 13, 2014

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

precision posted:

The show also has the benefit of letting you look at a cool scene instead of reading some very bad writer describe it for several paragraphs/pages of prose so purple it's popping blood vessels.

The show, while very goodlooking for a TV production, is actually quite underwhelming, small scale, of limited scope and altogether less impressive compared to the descriptions of the corresponding scenes in the books, which for obvious reasons don't have to deal with the same budget and scale/scope limitations.

quote:

Also me saying, once in the past, like, 6 months or a year, that I hate the books, is pretty, pretty far from "pouring so much energy" into it.

edit: The show also has better written dialogue much of the time. In my opinion. Not as a matter of objective truth.

80-90% of what you see in the show comes from GRRM's brain. If that makes you feel dirty or uncomfortable, you'll just have to reconcile that with yourself somehow. Stanning for and praising the show into the high heavens but tearing down GRRM is like doing the same for Buffy/Angel/Firefly/etc. and Joss Whedon, or The West Wing and Sorkin, or the LOTR movies and Tolkien, etc.
It's just irrational and really dumb, and tbh I've learned to expect better from you so that's just why it surprised me.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

We're not mad, we're just disappointed :dawkins101:

It's a cool show with crazy good production values and an entertaining cast of characters and cool story and that's what I like about it. Also, though I have read the books I am not a book poster so that's why my opinions are good and normal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rargphlam
Dec 16, 2008
It's possible he doesn't have a problem with GRRM's creativity and vision but rather how that plays out in his novels. The inherent restrictions in crafting a TV show might make the content of the books more amenable to him.

I don't necessarily agree with his criticism of GRRM's prose, but he's not entirely wrong. I also feel that GRRM as a writer has evolved a bit since he starting writing the novels, in both good and bad ways.

• Locked thread