Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Jonny 290 posted:

oooh you're buying a house you will have NO END of poo poo to gripe about

actually, bringing that in, please keep me posted as to your house status and if/when you move. I may have a little something to send as housewarming

will do, thanks jonny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
time for ham license plates lmao

Zap!
May 15, 2002

Nuts.
i never understood why hams in this area would cut you off in traffic while having their call sign on the back of their car.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
here's the radio rig as it stands today

gutted odyssey dj case

the ground bus with a couple pigtails, and a powerpole also in frame

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

stop posting all this rad rear end stuff i cant buy until after i finish the projects on my house <:mad:>

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

maniacdevnull posted:

stop posting all this rad rear end stuff i cant buy until after i finish the projects on my house <:mad:>

im gonna not have any fun for a long time but when i do its gonna be awesome

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
ULS db is down lol

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

fuckin ebay. i received both my antennas but not my baofeng or my pigtail for my sdr. :argh:

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
so i had the uni pd and local SD up on the baofeng coming back from dropping kid off @ daycare. i hear a blurblurblurblurblurblurblurblurblurblurblurblur like deffo trbo/dmr on the sd station. i came around the corner & there was a local cop hiding in a construction zone. was he talkin on local pd freq and overpowering my radio or was smth else going on? i know the lil click thing whne i drive in certain spots is the radio bein overpowered, but would the overpowering signal come in loud and clear on a diff freq?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yes, very possible. the big downside of SDR based radios like the baofengs is that they have minimal if any filtering on the front end. the big 3 radios don't get eaten up nearly as much (though some of them still have problems)

basically the more 'wideband' or flexible a radio is, the more its gonna get swamped with intermod and phantom signals. this is why i keep 100 lbs of 80s icom on my bench, they don't give a gently caress about anything they're not tuned to

Dijkstra
May 21, 2002

yeah the front ends on those boafeng HTs aren't the best in the world so if he was running like 50 watts from his mobile rig you could be getting crosstalk from his radio

edit: beaten by johnny, of course

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
thats cool, im starting to realize im quickly outgrowing this lil guy. i mean it owns for what it is but ya i gotta convince the wife i need a better radio. i just scanned a bunch of documents offering to sign my life away if they'll accept my price, so probably not in the cards until maybe xmas or some poo poo unless i come across a screamin' deal-- i also have no idea what i want/need. that ic-7000 sure looks nice but i bet there's something long forgotten in someone's garage/shed w/ my name on it.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

PuTTY riot posted:

thats cool, im starting to realize im quickly outgrowing this lil guy

forgot what thread i was in, thought jello was finally getting the abortion

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Werthog 95 posted:

forgot what thread i was in, thought jello was finally getting the abortion

lol

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
7000 is nice but a little upmarket, it has IF-based (not audio) DSP so it is a few more bucks. its daddy, the icom 706, has more conventional filtering (no big deal for entry level) and you can't swing a dead cat at a hamfest without hitting a 706 for sale. everybody has one. (it's shameful that i don't but i'm not in radio buying mode)

all of the 706's do 100w on HF. original has 10w on 2m, the MKII has 20w on 2m and the MKIIG has 50w on 2 meters and adds 70cm (20w). i'd probably say that a mkii would be around 450, 500 bucks. or if you make hamfriends over the summer i bet you can find an old man with too many radios who will sell you his 706 for 400 bucks. turn on the struggling young father charm and old hams will throw gear at you for cheap

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

build your own

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Bloody posted:

build your own

Also an option

(the last one is a kit you can buy)

Dijkstra
May 21, 2002

Yeah you can do just about anything with a 706 that you can do with a 7000 as far as casual operation goes. plus the 7000 has been discontinued so every OF with one will want a premium for theirs. (Can't buy this no more!!)

if you know you just want to mess around on HF for awhile you could find a old radio like what Johnny has (IC-735) for around $250-300. I used to have an IC-735 and they are more or less indestructible unless REALLY abused (mine literally fell out of a truck and was fine). sort of wish i didn't sell it but when we bought our house I sold off a bunch of redundant stuff for extra money

now that we bought our house as long as i'm selling off things now and then and not hoarding radios my wife is usually okay with me buying crap. before we bought the house though we never bought anything so i get where you're coming from putty

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Jonny 290 posted:

arent those elecraft units insane expensive?

are they for real? does the unit come with comic sans label of the model? really? lmafo

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
thanks guys this thread owns

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
eh 750 for the K2 kit. not cheap but not shocked at the price either

i think they come with the hairy poo poo like the CPU pre-soldered, and maybe the inductors are prewound too

still you need $2k of test equipment to align the fuckin thing i believe

sniep: hahaha i thought somethign looked off

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Jonny 290 posted:

Also an option

this kinda poo poo makes me wanna be a radio nerd

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Jonny 290 posted:

eh 750 for the K2 kit. not cheap but not shocked at the price either

i think they come with the hairy poo poo like the CPU pre-soldered, and maybe the inductors are prewound too

still you need $2k of test equipment to align the fuckin thing i believe

i must be thinking of something else
e: yeah i was, i got them confused in my head with TenTec for some reason

Sniep fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Mar 13, 2014

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Sniep posted:

arent those elecraft units insane expensive?

are they for real? does the unit come with comic sans label of the model? really? lmafo

lmao

Dijkstra
May 21, 2002

The K3 is expensive but a K2 is a lot less ($800 I think). Only hitch is you literally have to solder everything together on a K2.

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
here's some pdfs describing the apollo missions S-band radio system
http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19660018739.pdf

http://www.hq.nasa.gov/alsj/19650010806_1965010806.pdf

from wikipedia:

quote:

Allocating uplink/downlink frequency pairs in a fixed ratio of 221/240 permitted the use of coherent transponders on the spacecraft. The spacecraft tracked the uplink carrier with a phase locked loop and, with a series of frequency dividers and multipliers, multiplied the uplink carrier frequency by the ratio 240/221 to produce its own downlink carrier signal.
When no uplink was detected, the transponder downlink carrier was generated from a local oscillator at the nominal frequency.
This "two-way" technique allowed extremely precise relative velocity measurements (in centimeters/sec) by observing the Doppler shift of the downlink carrier without a high accuracy oscillator on the spacecraft, although one was still needed on the ground.

[...]
A typical Apollo S-band spacecraft transmitter produced 20 watts; a typical uplink transmitter produced 10 kW

and a retelling of how the parkes receiver station got the actual OTA signals of the first steps
http://www.parkes.atnf.csiro.au/news_events/apollo11/pasa/on_eagles_wings.pdf

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

longview posted:

here's some pdfs describing the apollo missions S-band radio system
http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19660018739.pdf

http://www.hq.nasa.gov/alsj/19650010806_1965010806.pdf

from wikipedia:

and a retelling of how the parkes receiver station got the actual OTA signals of the first steps
http://www.parkes.atnf.csiro.au/news_events/apollo11/pasa/on_eagles_wings.pdf

holy poo poo this is great

some of the tech deetz are amazing given their 1966 context

quote:

This diplexer provides approximately 190 db of isolation between the transmit and received frequencies.

quote:

The power amplifier utilized in the USB System is a 20 kilowatt CW klystron amplifier. This power amplifier has sufficient bandwidth to amplify simultaneously the LEM's uplink carrier and the CML uplink carrier. This is required at a dual 30' station. A dual 85-foot station has two (2) complete transmitters in order to provide more gain during those mission phases when it is necessary to have more uplink signal power.

quote:

The two (2) transmitted uplink frequencies are very stable, being derived from a time standard having a stability of approximately 5 parts in 10" .

and then:

quote:

In addition to teletype, high-speed (2400 bps) circuits will be available into and out of most of the sites

:3:

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Jonny 290 posted:

holy poo poo this is great

some of the tech deetz are amazing given their 1966 context

and then:

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

robot roll call

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
cambot!

strtj
Feb 1, 2010
Anyone do MW DXing? I used to dabble a little bit with a Sony 7600GR, just using the internal bar and a select-a-tenna. Never got anything too fancy, two or three 1500+ km stations. I've since moved and my reception seems to have gone all to hell even though I'm less than a mile from where I used to be. My old place was a little bit higher elevation than where I am now, but I figure that shouldn't matter for MW. Other than moving as far away from RF sources as I can, does anyone have any suggestions as to what might have changed or what I can do to improve matters?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

strtj posted:

Anyone do MW DXing? I used to dabble a little bit with a Sony 7600GR, just using the internal bar and a select-a-tenna. Never got anything too fancy, two or three 1500+ km stations. I've since moved and my reception seems to have gone all to hell even though I'm less than a mile from where I used to be. My old place was a little bit higher elevation than where I am now, but I figure that shouldn't matter for MW. Other than moving as far away from RF sources as I can, does anyone have any suggestions as to what might have changed or what I can do to improve matters?

Yeah, AM broadcast DX was my introduction to the hobby. I still tune into 850 KOA Denver and 780 WBBM Chicago now and then

If you think it's localized noise, grab a portable AM radio (yeah i know, not exactly in everybody's junk drawer any more) and go hunting. You might find a lovely fluoro light or something somewhere. Other than that my only other suggestions would be go investigate active antennas, mounted as high and far away from crap as you can. the mini-whip we've been bouncing around here that longview built should be pretty perfect - guys use them all the way down to LW.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i clicked on this listing and my heart skipped a beat

look at that stack

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Icom-base-transcever-complete-station-/271376594294?pt=US_Ham_Radio_Transceivers&hash=item3f2f4e3576

honestly we're talking more in the 2k-2200 range but its a pretty collection

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Jonny 290 posted:

i clicked on this listing and my heart skipped a beat

look at that stack

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Icom-base-transcever-complete-station-/271376594294?pt=US_Ham_Radio_Transceivers&hash=item3f2f4e3576

honestly we're talking more in the 2k-2200 range but its a pretty collection

so i was looking at ebay for some radios cuz of this just curious and it seems that the buy it now for new ones is a couple hundred dollars more than brand new in a box from just normal stores?

i thought ebay was supposed to be cheaper lol

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
like how does this work?

or

Ebay Sellers: Not Going To Save You Money On Ham poo poo(Generally)

Sniep fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Mar 14, 2014

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah for current production radios only idiots use ebay. that place is for old radios and hard to find out of production things. never buy it now on ebay if you can buy it from universal or AES

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Jonny 290 posted:

yeah for current production radios only idiots use ebay. that place is for old radios and hard to find out of production things. never buy it now on ebay if you can buy it from universal or AES

sounds like a good time ot buy and resell some radios?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
look at these listings tho and tell me what is wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Jonny 290 posted:

look at these listings tho and tell me what is wrong

not sure.

that ebay greedy matches ic 7100 as ic-r7100 or that the new ones are all from JP or GR?

• Locked thread