Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZerodotJander
Dec 29, 2004

Chinaman, explain!

Urdnot Fire posted:

For those of you with iPads, Quarriors! is currently free.

Edit: Ignore the price shown in AppShopper, it's free for the next week and will show as such in the App Store and iTunes.

Both the fundamental design of this game and the implementation are pretty crappy. No reason not to try it if it's free but I wouldn't recommend it and was sad I paid for this.

Two biggest problems that made this a no-go for me:

1. The online async turn-based implementation sucks because you have to make a response action in the middle of your opponent's turn. The game waits for you to specify blockers during your opponent's attack phase, even in obvious situations - e.g. when you only have one available blocking monster. So unless the other person is actively playing with you instead of waiting between turns, the pace is unplayably slow.

2. The offline mode does not allow you to specify an AI as Player 1. So you will always take the first turn. Which based on the games I played, provides a noticeable advantage, especially since the AI doesn't seem to play very well.

I only played one agonizing game against another human being so maybe the actual game itself is better than I thought. But the implementation is definitely bad and the basic game seemed bad too based on my limited experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
Still can't work out what the treasure chests do in Block Legends, anyone?

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
When you fill the orange treasure bar you get a random consumable. It also replaces whatever consumable you have so use them before you match those last treasure chests.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

When you fill the orange treasure bar you get a random consumable. It also replaces whatever consumable you have so use them before you match those last treasure chests.

Well that's super unhelpful.

I want to like this game... but man. There are some questionable design decisions. 5 Stars.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
So I've decided that Tony Meow is pretty OP...

Basically the AGI stat allows you to make more moves before the enemy gets a turn, so by level 5 you're pulling of 5-6 moves before the enemy even has a chance to hit you. Outfit him with a decent STR weapon to help offset his only weakness, and then just use your level ups to spam vit/str/int to whatever your liking. Got to level 23 or something, I can't actually remember.

Also, make sure you do the dungeon quests (the hardest one, it's not that hard at all), whenever you get the chance for free exp and gold.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
I haven't found ANY items yet, where'd you get them?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
So where's the factory in pocket mine again?

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

monkeytennis posted:

I haven't found ANY items yet, where'd you get them?

They were just added in the patch. They're (sometimes) in the shops that you stop at in the middle of your run. Also remember there are 3 different merchants at every stop, so make sure you're checking all of them.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

tuyop posted:

So where's the factory in pocket mine again?

It's one of the tabs. You have to buy one but it's with he common in game currency and it's pretty cheap.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Whirlwind Jones posted:

They were just added in the patch. They're (sometimes) in the shops that you stop at in the middle of your run. Also remember there are 3 different merchants at every stop, so make sure you're checking all of them.

I didn't realise you could do that!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

axleblaze posted:

It's one of the tabs. You have to buy one but it's with he common in game currency and it's pretty cheap.

I've got four tabs: mine, cards, museum, settings. I'm at level 11, does it unlock at some point?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I guess it must unlock later because I have 5 tabs. I have no idea when though.n

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
First Strike looks neat but holy poo poo watching a gameplay video there are about 10 typos in the first minute of gameplay alone. Lots of "an" instead of "and" and the word "buildt".
I wish that poo poo didn't annoy me as much as it does but it does.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Feenix posted:

First Strike looks neat but holy poo poo watching a gameplay video there are about 10 typos in the first minute of gameplay alone. Lots of "an" instead of "and" and the word "buildt".
I wish that poo poo didn't annoy me as much as it does but it does.

Nothing wrong with that, if they're sloppy with the simple stuff it makes me wonder what else they've done half-arsed tbqh.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

axleblaze posted:

I guess it must unlock later because I have 5 tabs. I have no idea when though.n

Level 15, got it.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I've been trying to find the title of an iPhone game that I purchased YEARS ago. I looked through my purchase history and wasn't able to find anything. Here is what I remember about the game.

1. Very stylish, styles after a carnival or circus.

2. It was a numbers game. You either had to add numbers to meet a goal or something like that.

3. It was probably when I had an iPhone 3G or 4.

4. I remember a weightlifter (circus strongman) in tights, with a barbell mustache.

Any idea?

On another note. What the gently caress happens to my games if they're deleted from the store. While searching for the game, I noticed that a much of games that I paid for are no longer in the store. Off the top of my head would be, Alive-4-Ever, Stoneloops, We Rule?. I'm pretty sure I can't find this game I'm looking for because it's been taken down from the store.

EDIT: Strange, I found Alive-4-Ever and We Rule, but they're not in the App Store. That's kinda cool, but still unable to find the actual game I'm looking for.

obi_ant fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Mar 13, 2014

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Well I was just about to grab the nuke rts thing but then look what I saw instead:

http://appshopper.com/games/surgeon-simulator

Fuckin yes please.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Finger based controls? HMMMMM.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

SynthOrange posted:

Finger based controls? HMMMMM.

Well it was rough going to start but bob's probably enjoying that new heart.

Shame about that one lung and whatever that other organ was (and his ribcage).

*not a good doctor*

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Sounds like it's also lost stuff from the PC version, no ambulance or alien autopsy? What about fiddling in your office? How do the controls work now anyway?

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

SynthOrange posted:

Sounds like it's also lost stuff from the PC version, no ambulance or alien autopsy? What about fiddling in your office? How do the controls work now anyway?

My only real gripe so far is that it's a bitch to turn on things like the drill and the bone saw thing and also that I wish camera controls were separated from tool manipulation somehow (causes a lot of undue stabbing for me).
It's fiddly but definitely doable. Also hilarious as poo poo but that's a given.
Office fiddling is a thing. I just got an achievement for crudely answering the phone.

I just have to love a game where my first thoughts are "So first to annihilate the ribcage and throw away this organ, better throw this beaker over there where it's safe. Oh god, the hatchet is stuck between his lungs."

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

obi_ant posted:

What the gently caress happens to my games if they're deleted from the store. While searching for the game, I noticed that a much of games that I paid for are no longer in the store. Off the top of my head would be, Alive-4-Ever, Stoneloops, We Rule?. I'm pretty sure I can't find this game I'm looking for because it's been taken down from the store.
Unless you deleted it, the app file itself should still be stored within iTunes, and you can resync it to your device by going to the 'Apps' tab and enabling it from the list. Assuming no iOS changes since then have rendered it inoperative.

Voodoo
Jun 3, 2003

m2sbr what
I really like the deck feature of Pocket Miner. My only beef with the game, before and after the recent update, is that the IAP character are so drat expensive. I'd totally drop a buck or two to get a new character, but each one (with a skill) is basically $10 a piece.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

obi_ant posted:

EDIT: Strange, I found Alive-4-Ever and We Rule, but they're not in the App Store. That's kinda cool, but still unable to find the actual game I'm looking for.

We Rule was shut down, I know that at least. The 'community' moved on to a game called Rule the Kingdom I think. I'm not sure why I know this as I haven't played either of those games.

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009

Voodoo posted:

I really like the deck feature of Pocket Miner. My only beef with the game, before and after the recent update, is that the IAP character are so drat expensive. I'd totally drop a buck or two to get a new character, but each one (with a skill) is basically $10 a piece.

Yeah I agree. Even the energy purchase from 5 to 8 energy seems too much for too little. Though the energy does refill at a pretty decent rate. Zero chance i'll buy a character for 100 rubies.

I'm finding that I can't get much deeper than ~250m down. Even when I chose cards that allow quicker digging (extended pick, explosive arrows, etc) I'm still doing 200-250m. My pick is up to 171 with each upgrade only giving +1

Is there any point to the topaz/sapphire/emerald blocks in the regular cave? I've made it down to a few emerald blocks but usually only have 5-10 picks left. I know on the spaceship level you see these gems everywhere.

Any tips for going lower that I'm missing?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I played Pocket Mine back during soft launch and it was pretty decent. I just picked it back up last night and have been kind of obsessive on it. So much more to do.

That said, is there ANY way to do trading center with any of you without involving Facebook? I wouldn't mind trading items, I just refuse to do FB integrated stuff.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

diapermeat posted:

Yeah I agree. Even the energy purchase from 5 to 8 energy seems too much for too little. Though the energy does refill at a pretty decent rate. Zero chance i'll buy a character for 100 rubies.

I'm finding that I can't get much deeper than ~250m down. Even when I chose cards that allow quicker digging (extended pick, explosive arrows, etc) I'm still doing 200-250m. My pick is up to 171 with each upgrade only giving +1

Is there any point to the topaz/sapphire/emerald blocks in the regular cave? I've made it down to a few emerald blocks but usually only have 5-10 picks left. I know on the spaceship level you see these gems everywhere.

The best thing for getting really deep is explosive coal and extra coal. That will create amazing chain reaction that will just go on forever. With that I've managed to get to around 450m.

In general, always try and only hit blocks that take one hit and always try and hit a block that will take you deeper rather than a block that will give you anything.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
Does Surgeon Simulator translate well in touchscreen ipad mode? I got it for pc but never put time into it because I tend to be away from my computer a lot. Was a lot cut out?

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

GoldenNugget posted:

Was a lot cut out?

:rimshot:

Well played.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

GoldenNugget posted:

Does Surgeon Simulator translate well in touchscreen ipad mode? I got it for pc but never put time into it because I tend to be away from my computer a lot. Was a lot cut out?

From what I can tell, it's the heart, kidney, eye and teeth transplants then the same again while in the corridor.
Controls can be a bit on the painful side mostly due to the camera drifting when you go to manipulate anything (trying to lift anything before dragging it is a nightmare).
I know clumsiness is part of the point but I think they need to refine it a little more before it's going to creep away from being frustrating.

verdigris murder
Jul 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Mines of Mars is just great looking, but no fun. Like a beautiful lady, that you know you'll never make love to, and can only stare at and remember to take breath.
I can't dig up. Seriously wtf.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Anyone play FF4 on a mini yet? I got it after playing through 3 but it runs like laggy crap. It runs great on my 5c so I'm wondering what the deal is. Is the original mini already crappy hardware?

Secht
Oct 5, 2012

Rolo posted:

Anyone play FF4 on a mini yet? I got it after playing through 3 but it runs like laggy crap. It runs great on my 5c so I'm wondering what the deal is. Is the original mini already crappy hardware?

I played through FF4 on a non retina mini. I don't recall any problems or anything.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I'm wondering if it just runs slower than 3 and 6 did making it so apparent to me. It seems to get a much lower fps rate in battles, enough to bug me. Plenty of free space on the ipad... does a hard reset actually do anything as far as performance? I've had it about a year.

illBilliam
Jan 8, 2006

osietra posted:

Mines of Mars...
I can't dig up. Seriously wtf.
Yeah I had the same reaction as well. Is Junk Jack or
Terraria like that also?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
So ummmmm.....I'm not sure i'd consider this a win.

:stare::stare:

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Thwomp posted:

What game is this?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
It's First Strike that was talked about on the last page.

It should be noted that easy games can take as little as less than 10 minutes. This one was 71 and was essentially my mutant Juche army taking over a nuclear wasteland.

Not really pictured is the carpet bombing into a corner required to defeat the four other nations. When so many players are reducing everyone's strike capability, everyone is able to crawl out a little bit, even after a mega salvo. So you end up methodically bombing them into a corner to defeat them.

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

:ms:

diapermeat posted:

The purchase from 5 to 8 might as well say "Unlimited Stamina."
In using up 8 stamina (unless you do Acid), you'll probably gain another 2 or 3, and then you'll level up and start the cycle all over again. For practical purposes it's Unlimited because I generally have to put down my phone and get something done before I run out.

As far as getting lower goes; i've got 5* Super Healing which basically multiplies your possible depth by 9 (200% more healing blocks, which each heal you for a whopping 9). I'm topping out at around 700m now, because there's a REALLY noticeable drop off in Healing Blocks beyond about 500m (with Super Healing and More Healing my durability never goes down, until I hit that half a kilometer mark when the heal crates drop to almost zero). I think to sustain beyond that i'm going to need to run 5* versions of Magic Coal, Coal Heal Frenzy and Coal Galore. That should swamp the level with enough explosive healing coal to pretty much support me indefinitely.

Basically Healing is the way to get deeper; especially Super Healing. Explosive Arrows are also one of the most efficient depth:durability things to have more of.

I also advise you use the deck to make a 5* combo of More Crates, Artefact Crate and Super Healing (or whatever your best distance increasing card is). With that combo I can harvest ~50 artefacts per run, which as well as giving me 2000+ cash is making me the office favourite of everyone for trading.

Oh, and make as many Rainbow Crates as you can. Rainbow Crates have like a 99% chance of being a Gold Card and are the best spend of keys and cubes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Thwomp posted:

:stare::stare:

This game looks pretty neat but I don't really want to plop down $4 on an impulse buy. Would you say it's worth it? It looks kind of shallow, is it?

• Locked thread