Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I want a greasemonkey userscript that changes all text on all websites to a good, readable cursive font.

Oh wait there aren't any.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

Eastbound Spider posted:

Cursive is such old history bullshit that it should die and go away forever.

What if you want to draw a treasure map?

Crossbar
Jun 16, 2002
Chronic Lurker

Monster w21 Faces posted:

What if you want to draw a treasure map?
It's called geocaching now and we do it on computers old man.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
Do you need a computer to find your dick too? Who are you calling old man? I'M ONLY 29! gently caress!

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Do you need a computer to find your dick too? Who are you calling old man? I'M ONLY 29! gently caress!

Look at this old fart.

One foot in the grave grampa

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

I'm unironically going to a gallery show of handwritten cursive tomorrow night and am extremely stoked about it. Lettering is fun and cool

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

HolePisser1982 posted:

I'm unironically going to a gallery show of handwritten cursive tomorrow night and am extremely stoked about it. Lettering is fun and cool

This is some bougie rear end poo poo.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

The hell? I can't NOT write in cursive. You were a no good punk kid!

Same. My handwriting is pretty poo poo to begin with, but when I attempt to not write in cursive it comes out even worse. I was told 'this is how you write' in school and was never told otherwise, now I just can't write otherwise.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Gazaar posted:

Wipe cursive writing from the face of the earth through military force, if need be. Same with pennies, and probably some things from Seinfeld.

Let's not say things we're going to regret, now. :colbert:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
People who bitch about cursive not being taught are basically saying they're mad our already poo poo school system doesn't waste time teaching calligraphy that barely any of the students will have any use for. I'm real sorry about the modern world changing, y'all.

Holy Cheese
Dec 6, 2006
I'm a lefty but did cursive easily. Spelling though..

VVV no idea thankfully VVV

Holy Cheese fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Mar 13, 2014

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Do schools even require writing now outside of tests?

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"

Veotax posted:

Same. My handwriting is pretty poo poo to begin with, but when I attempt to not write in cursive it comes out even worse. I was told 'this is how you write' in school and was never told otherwise, now I just can't write otherwise.

A well educated poster.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

People who bitch about cursive not being taught are basically saying they're mad our already poo poo school system doesn't waste time teaching calligraphy that barely any of the students will have any use for. I'm real sorry about the modern world changing, y'all.

How do you expect to thwart the robot rebellion if you can't write cursive? Robots can't read cursive.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I always make sure to keep a Cursive for Dummies book in my bug-out bag.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I primarily wrote cursive throughout my school years (you know, back when people actually wrote stuff with pencils). I was pretty talented and received high praise from my teacher. Later on I encountered several other teachers who could not read it, and I was asked to rewrite whole sections of my papers to make them more legible.

So, the moral is: gently caress writing. Or, my teachers might have been robots.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Freep is mad at kids not learning cursive anymore.

You don't wanna be Freepers now, do you?

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing
E: refresh more often

Sputty
Mar 20, 2005

How do you expect to thwart the robot rebellion if you can't write cursive? Robots can't read cursive.

I have every intention of supporting the robot rebellion and my Hatsune Miku memorabilia proves it.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Not even accurate, they are quite good at it because who the gently caress else sends letters in the mail but 80 year olds? Robots read all those addresses to grandchildren that never write back!

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
The worst was having a teacher who was convinced that teaching us cursive would save our lives one day, and that we'd be glad we know how to write in cursive when we were in college. God that was a giant waste of everyone's time.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

I write using a horrible abomination that's half-print half-cursive, all loopy and crooked. The only writing skill you need in high school/college is the ability to take notes very fast, which is how my handwriting took form.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Veotax posted:

The only time i have to use handwriting is small notes and lists (print style) or university exams, which require me to write a lot very fast so it comes out as a barely readable monstrosity of 90% cursive 10% print style. I'm sure everyone having to read that poo poo hates me but sadly I'm just too slow with raw print style.

And of course i type faster than both print or cursive style, so it's just a dreadful thing all around.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
I'm glad i'm none of your mothers around mother's day/birthday/christmas time. I would probably kill myself. That would teach you. A dead mother. Your mother. But dead. Your dead mother. Because you can't write.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
My mom is dead :smith:

And I bet she didn't write in cursive either!

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
Probably why she died. Shame. Or a robot got her. Are guns robots? Gunshots words? Powder burns signatures? Signatures in the sky?

I ate too much candy.

Sorry about your dead mother. (or am I?)

Monster w21 Faces fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Mar 13, 2014

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Probably why she died. Shame. Or a robot got her. Are guns robots? Gunshots words? Powder burns signatures? Signatures in the sky?

I ate too much candy.

Sorry about your dead mother. (or am I?)

APB killed his mother

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
APB killed my inner child. Watching that game fail was like walking in on your parents loving.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

HolePisser1982 posted:

How white are you on a scale from White to Transparent?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

BARONS GAMES WHINER posted:

I, too, thought that was a weird thing for Jeff to say to Vinny while they were discussing a video game on Giantbomb.com.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Bogart posted:

while they were discussing a video game on Giantbomb.com.

This has never happened.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

BARONS GAMES WHINER posted:

Haha holy poo poo I missed that loving look at it.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I'm picturing more of a Hellraiser-style "done everything else in the world, need to find new sources of excitement" scenario for the guy going to a script writing exhibit.

Blister
Sep 8, 2000

Hair Elf

Fallom posted:

I'm picturing more of a Hellraiser-style "done everything else in the world, need to find new sources of excitement" scenario for the guy going to a script writing exhibit.

I'd go if they had a wingdings and comic sans exhibit

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Blister posted:

I used to be like you, now I can only masturbate to web dings.

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

I write in cursive*uses inkwell and feather, dies of old age at 30*

DannyHibiki
Feb 8, 2001

Once you POP, you can't STOP!

Blister posted:

Your suffering will be legendary, even in hell!

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
Rorie should do reviews. I think he's one of the better writers on the site, and it would be nice to give Alex a break every now and again.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Blister posted:

You're why that Helvetica documentary exists. A loving documentary about a font.

Daius
Sep 10, 2010

In the internet age people getting worked up about fonts is about as justifiable as old people getting worked up about cursive.

Hell, I hear in schools today that if you submit an assignment in Papyrus font you get whipped raw with a HDMI cable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"

Daius posted:

In the internet age people getting worked up about fonts is about as justifiable as old people getting worked up about cursive.

Hell, I hear in schools today that if you submit an assignment in Papyrus font you get whipped raw with a HDMI cable.

It's CAT6 you bollocks!

• Locked thread