Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer

b0nes posted:

So my neighbor across the street and I have decided to share her internet connection. She has one of those mini Airport routers that really doesn't work reliably because the plug holding it isn't that good. What options do I look at? I can see her connection if I place my laptop right at the kitchen table. What is better to have: A bigger antenna on my end as the receiver or o her end as the transmitter?
Pair of this and then plug it into another wireless ap on your end?
http://www.wlanparts.com/product/AIRWIRE/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

nvm, think I'll try an erl

phosdex fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Mar 11, 2014

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice
Just a heads up, I have a Linksys EA6900 router with AC compatibility and USB 3.0 for sale on SA-Mart.

I'm surprised it gets such mixed reviews on Amazon , so I'm willing to make a deal.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Red posted:

So my wireless signal is really weak in the bedroom, which is around the corner from our wireless router, and there are two walls (with a kitchen) between the router and the bedroom.

My initial thought is to buy http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-WR702N-Wireless-Repeater-150Mpbs/dp/B007PTCFFW/, and put that in a place that sends a clear signal into the bedroom.

Actually, I want to upgrade my Router first anyway - is there any router that might be ideal for my situation? I live in a condominium complex with TONS of other units.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
I talked with my roommate a bunch and it seems my best option would be to buy my own personal internet service to use solo.

I'm having a look at ISPs for my area - time warner cable is the only cable provider available here though.

These are the service packages they are offering: http://www.cabletv.com/time-warner/internet

Wondering which one would be best for me - I do a lot of gaming so I'd need whatever a suitable connection for solo use would be. No one other than me will be using the service. Feel free to suggest alternatives to cable internet too.

The current household internet is a crappy verizon service I don't want to use and I don't want to intrude on when people here use netflix and other things.

Edit: I'm located in the northern L.A. area, if people want to help me hunt down a drat good ISP.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Mar 12, 2014

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I have a Netgear WNDR3700v2 that was running a custom OpenWRT firmware for a thing but we just now flashed it to the generic Attitude Adjustment. Since 4 people live in our household, we really just want to be able to see daily/monthly bandwidth usage by IP or MAC address. Google returns hits about realtime bandwidth monitoring which is NOT what I want, though I suppose that would be nice. I seem to recall dd-wrt having the aggregation feature built-in when I ran it on my Linksys WRT54G back in 2009. Is there a simple solution for this in OpenWRT?

edit: I just installed Gargoyle. The interface is clunky and forcing shared settings on a dual band router is annoying, but my usage profile isn't actually affected by them and I get per IP bandwidth usage logs now so :shobon:

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Mar 19, 2014

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008
I'm currently using two different 3g/4g wireless internet devices. Each one has it's own monthly data usage cap. The data usage on each device can be checked in the device's settings or the service provider's web page, but this logging can be inaccurate and tends to lag by several days.

I used to use a router that could record data usage separately per WAN, which made it easy to keep track of each device's usage. Is there any kind of software that can do the same thing? Networx seems to be the most commonly recommended program for tracking data usage, but as far as I can tell it can only track overall usage, with no respect to where it's coming from.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
I just bought an N66U after using a dying old wireless G router for years. I'm running Merlin 374.40 firmware and have been problems on the 5 GHz band. Every now and then, it seems to stop working and signal drops to 1 bar or disconnects and I need to reboot the router or wait a couple minutes for it to come back up. Has anyone encountered this before? I might just return it to Amazon and get the AC66u instead for some future proofing.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

Xaris posted:

I just bought an N66U after using a dying old wireless G router for years. I'm running Merlin 374.40 firmware and have been problems on the 5 GHz band. Every now and then, it seems to stop working and signal drops to 1 bar or disconnects and I need to reboot the router or wait a couple minutes for it to come back up. Has anyone encountered this before? I might just return it to Amazon and get the AC66u instead for some future proofing.

I get that on my N66U with stock firmware. A few days ago I set the 2ghz and 5ghz networks to different SSIDs and haven't had any problems yet, but I am not calling it fixed so soon.

Caydence
Sep 3, 2011
Network noob here:

I have just purchased and setup an Asus RT-N16 router and it is great. I also bought a 1TB USB HDD to use with it (WD My Passport Ultra). I want to use the USB Drive attached to the router as a network file share, but I have no idea how to set it up. Everything I can find is for setting it up to access files from outside my network, and I do not want that. I want it only available to the internal network users. I'm truly wanting the ability to allow certain network users have read/write to certain folder (if possible) and read on everything else.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Ninja Rope posted:

I get that on my N66U with stock firmware. A few days ago I set the 2ghz and 5ghz networks to different SSIDs and haven't had any problems yet, but I am not calling it fixed so soon.

I have them on different SSIDs though :confused:

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Caydence posted:

Network noob here:

I have just purchased and setup an Asus RT-N16 router and it is great. I also bought a 1TB USB HDD to use with it (WD My Passport Ultra). I want to use the USB Drive attached to the router as a network file share, but I have no idea how to set it up. Everything I can find is for setting it up to access files from outside my network, and I do not want that. I want it only available to the internal network users. I'm truly wanting the ability to allow certain network users have read/write to certain folder (if possible) and read on everything else.

I'm assuming you're using the Asus firmware? You want to enable samba sharing from the USB Applications, Servers Center link on the left.

crm
Oct 24, 2004

SamDabbers posted:

How about something like this?

This seems like a pretty good idea.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Xaris posted:

I have them on different SSIDs though :confused:

You could try setting it to 40Hz only instead of 20/40hz, and N only if it has those options. Might help in some cases.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Trip report for a refurbished 5th generation Airport Extreme base station:

A client's 3rd generation AEBS was dying, wireless network kept disappearing; decided to get them a new one. No one there was using anything newer than a 1st gen iPad mini or Late 2011 MBP, so I figured I'd save them a few bucks over the latest ($85 vs $179 for the latest) and it was agreed.

Ordered one from the refurb site and had it delivered to a local Apple Store that was on my way to work. Five days later, got an email saying it was ready to be picked up. The 5th Gen AEBS came in a generic box that had the same exact dimensions as the original box except there was no printing on them, only a big sticker with my name printed in huge caps and a barcode detailing what was inside.

Everything that came with a new one (tiny booklet, power cord, cellophane wrapping around AEBS) came with the refurb. Couldn't see any scratches or signs of usage no matter how many angles I held it at. Took it to the site, replicated the settings of the original, everyone swore it was faster and I didn't even have to update the firmware, it already had the latest according to Airport Utility.

Pretty great, would buy again.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Just upgraded to Comcast Business class internet which comes with an 'Advanced Cable Modem Gateway' (Model CG3000DCR). I had a gigabit Netgear router already. I've moved some things around in our home to take advantage of this fact but I didn't account for the problem I am having.

I had a network share between our living room Media PC and my computer in another room. Now though we are on different LANs, my computer is plugged into the Gateway on my desk while the media PC is plugged into the Netgear router we already had, which is plugged into the Gateway. Before the only network was the Netgear router, however now we have this Gateway and the router.

How can I share that network accross the Gateway to the router so I can still do network sharing between my main computer and the media computer out in the living room?

EDIT
None of this is wireless either, all wired.

namol
Mar 21, 2007

KakerMix posted:

Just upgraded to Comcast Business class internet which comes with an 'Advanced Cable Modem Gateway' (Model CG3000DCR). I had a gigabit Netgear router already. I've moved some things around in our home to take advantage of this fact but I didn't account for the problem I am having.

I had a network share between our living room Media PC and my computer in another room. Now though we are on different LANs, my computer is plugged into the Gateway on my desk while the media PC is plugged into the Netgear router we already had, which is plugged into the Gateway. Before the only network was the Netgear router, however now we have this Gateway and the router.

How can I share that network accross the Gateway to the router so I can still do network sharing between my main computer and the media computer out in the living room?

EDIT

Is your netgear doing any type of dhcp/natting? If so they're on two different subnets and won't be able to talk to each other unless you add setup the routing between the two networks. Simple solution is to just let the gateway take care of handing out dhcp and turn the netgear into a switch.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Binary Badger posted:

Trip report for a refurbished 5th generation Airport Extreme base station:

A client's 3rd generation AEBS was dying, wireless network kept disappearing; decided to get them a new one. No one there was using anything newer than a 1st gen iPad mini or Late 2011 MBP, so I figured I'd save them a few bucks over the latest ($85 vs $179 for the latest) and it was agreed.

Ordered one from the refurb site and had it delivered to a local Apple Store that was on my way to work. Five days later, got an email saying it was ready to be picked up. The 5th Gen AEBS came in a generic box that had the same exact dimensions as the original box except there was no printing on them, only a big sticker with my name printed in huge caps and a barcode detailing what was inside.

Everything that came with a new one (tiny booklet, power cord, cellophane wrapping around AEBS) came with the refurb. Couldn't see any scratches or signs of usage no matter how many angles I held it at. Took it to the site, replicated the settings of the original, everyone swore it was faster and I didn't even have to update the firmware, it already had the latest according to Airport Utility.

Pretty great, would buy again.

Yeah Apple's refurb stuff is literally as good as new. Some great deals to be had with their refurbs.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

A new AEBS was 184.00 on Amazon and Best Buy and comes with a 1yr warranty vs 90 days, extended to 2 years via my AmEx. Not a bad exchange for $13 dollars over a refurb. (Not talking about 5th gen, but for those looking for 802.11 AC)

sellouts fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Mar 16, 2014

Hiyoshi
Jun 27, 2003

The jig is up!

KakerMix posted:

EDIT

Out of curiosity, are you not allowed to use your own modem with a Comcast business connection?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
So I'm in an apartment with multiple floors and the router is on the 2nd floor with poor reception to the first floor. I don't care about the other floors yet. Just the first floor that I'm on. Its not my router so I can't just move it. Should I do powerline from the router to my downstairs room and then into a personal AP? Or maybe get an antenna re-locator and move one of the antennas close to the first floor...somehow?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12dBi-WiFi-...=item1e860c4fbd

Edit: oh I'm mistaken. Some asshat thought it was a good idea to keep the router on the 3rd floor of a 3 story apt with occupants on all 3 floors.

Edit2: Mistaken again! Looks like the majority of the occupants are on the 3rd floor with a straggler on the first (soon to be me). I think I might got with the netgear xwnb5201 powerline + AP. $70 after rebate at Frys!

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Mar 17, 2014

politicorific
Sep 15, 2007
Am I trying to do too much?

Last week I flashed my Asus RT-N66U to Shibby's Tomato and installed Optware in the hopes that I could:

1) Run a better/faster print server.
2) Trick my IOS devices into thinking I have an airprint compatible printer
3) Setup NFS for better file sharing
4) Be able to put my hard drive to sleep
5) Run a DLNA server
6) Setup Transmission with a remote GUI, with a watch directory
7) Connectivity to Dropbox. Bash script: https://github.com/andreafabrizi/Dropbox-Uploader
8) Run some Java based servers - Jamvm, sablevm, and phoneme-advanced aren't working... and I have no idea how to recompile using jikes.

This device has plenty of memory to run all these services. The cpu is taxed infrequently... only during heavy disk activity (transmission, DLNA, Samba). Switching to NFS, running DLNA infrequently, and limiting transmission solves those problems, but

I think busybox is holding me back. I think Optware and Entware aren't up to the task. I tried installing BASH on optware, but it totally screwed up my install. Overall, I think I need BASH.

How do I get bash? Is there a 3rd party firmware or repository out there for people who want to do more?

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Hiyoshi posted:

Out of curiosity, are you not allowed to use your own modem with a Comcast business connection?

You can use your own modem with a Comcast business connection, and I am doing this right now with a SB6121. The only restrictions I ever saw mentioned had to do with static IPs, but even that may simply be referring to using modems that support it.

Here's a compatibility list:
http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer
Hey guys, I live in an apartment where the WiFi router (currently a Netgear which works okay) has to be in the living room, which means that the bedroom on the opposite side of the floor receives basically no signal (2.4Ghz). I bought a cheap range extender which does the job, but unfortunately doesn't seem to support Apple's Bonjour service, which I need for streaming movies from my Mac to my iPad (first world problems!). I assume I could buy an AirPort Extreme Base Station and an Express to extend the signal to solve the problem, but is there another solution that won't set me back 200€?

Earl of Lavender
Jul 29, 2007

This is not my beautiful house!!

This is not my beautiful wife!!!
Pillbug

FLX posted:

Hey guys, I live in an apartment where the WiFi router (currently a Netgear which works okay) has to be in the living room, which means that the bedroom on the opposite side of the floor receives basically no signal (2.4Ghz). I bought a cheap range extender which does the job, but unfortunately doesn't seem to support Apple's Bonjour service, which I need for streaming movies from my Mac to my iPad (first world problems!). I assume I could buy an AirPort Extreme Base Station and an Express to extend the signal to solve the problem, but is there another solution that won't set me back 200€?

Would powerline networking mesh with your intended setup?

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

When replacing a router, are there any best practices for setting up the new hardware, aside from updating firmware? I'll be getting the ASUS RT-N66U in a couple of days.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Earl of Lavender posted:

Would powerline networking mesh with your intended setup?

Powerlines in apartment settings don't always work best. Might not be the best option.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

FLX posted:

I can't see why this wouldn't support mdns+dns-sd. What's the model?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

smax posted:

Powerlines in apartment settings don't always work best. Might not be the best option.

Moca might be a good option if you can get a point of entry filter on the cable line... point of entry.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer
Thanks for the replies! I'm afraid I didn't understand much of it. I guess I could try out powerline ethernet. What's mdns+dns-sd and moca?

Edit:
my router: Netgear WNDR3700-100PES RangeMax
my extender: Huawei WS320 Wireless Repeater

Das MicroKorg fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Mar 19, 2014

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I've been running an old Linksys with Tomato and it's getting on in years. At this point all the wireless clients in the house are newer than the router, so I'm thinking it's time to upgrade. I'm pondering going whole hog with Ubiquiti gear to satisfy my ego and make me feel like a power user, but on one of the other IT threads, people were saying the UAP-AC has problems. Are those problems such that I should steer clear for home use, or are they only problems that crop up at larger scale? Even when our house is crowded with geeks, we're probably only using a dozen clients, max, counting all the our laptops, cell phones, Chromecasts, etc.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I've been running an old Linksys with Tomato and it's getting on in years. At this point all the wireless clients in the house are newer than the router, so I'm thinking it's time to upgrade. I'm pondering going whole hog with Ubiquiti gear to satisfy my ego and make me feel like a power user, but on one of the other IT threads, people were saying the UAP-AC has problems. Are those problems such that I should steer clear for home use, or are they only problems that crop up at larger scale? Even when our house is crowded with geeks, we're probably only using a dozen clients, max, counting all the our laptops, cell phones, Chromecasts, etc.

I just had my old linksys with tomato crap out on me as well.. was just using it to serve wireless to my pfsense box.. upon recommendations here I went with a ubiquiti UniFi AP and couldnt be happier. Setup was super simple and my dozen or so wifi enabled devices have been rock solid since installing. Its mounted in the same location and I get way more overage with it as well. definitely recommended.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

niss posted:

I just had my old linksys with tomato crap out on me as well.. was just using it to serve wireless to my pfsense box.. upon recommendations here I went with a ubiquiti UniFi AP and couldnt be happier. Setup was super simple and my dozen or so wifi enabled devices have been rock solid since installing. Its mounted in the same location and I get way more overage with it as well. definitely recommended.

It's pretty disappointing that the standalone access points are MORE expensive than a premium consumer router with more utility though.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Naffer posted:

It's pretty disappointing that the standalone access points are MORE expensive than a premium consumer router with more utility though.

It's just marketing. Just disable DHCP on the router, connect the LAN port to the rest of your wired network, and you have a standalone AP for less money.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

Naffer posted:

Most of the recommended routers I've seen are well over $100 dollars, this thing was $89 to my door. My pfsense box gives me all the utility I could ever want.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

SamDabbers posted:

It's just marketing. Just disable DHCP on the router, connect the LAN port to the rest of your wired network, and you have a standalone AP for less money.

I would say that most of the dedicated APs on the market today are expensive because of a mixture of more powerful antennas and more powerful management software. It's up to the decision maker if those features are worth the extra money for them.

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp
I've got an edgerouter lite that I recently upgraded and used the latest wizard to setup. I tried redoing this entire thing manually using the same tutorial I used to get this working before but with the same DNS problems.

eth1 is WAN, eth0 goes to tun0, and eth2 is for non-tunneled internet access. My problem is that eth2 DNS will fail unless I manually set the DNS on whatever hardware (in this case a ps3) to the router IP. The router has DHCP set up for each interface's subnet and DNS forwarding on the interfaces. DNS on the tunneled connection, eth0, works fine but DNS1 and DNS2 on DHCP are set to external DNS servers. eth2 has DNS1 set to the router IP address, so I don't know what gives.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Inspector_666 posted:

This thread should probably be remade with up-to-date powerline/coax networking stuff in the OP since we seem to go over it every couple of pages.

Hmm, a suggestion that would help the thread a lot. Anything else anyone would like added? I don't mind doing some updates to the OP even though I'm working seven days a week at the moment. Unless of course someone will volunteer to make a new thread/OP.

Devian666 fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Mar 21, 2014

Noxious
Oct 22, 2002

Allow me to give you free stuff, or I will stalk you and poison your family.
Tell me what to do. I can't decide between the ASUS RT-N66U, the ASUS RT-N16, or ASUS RT-AC66U.

I'm coming from Tomato running on a Linksys 54GS. I love tomato, I love that I haven't had to mess with my router since circa 2003. I almost exclusively use wireless for guests. Occasionally I use it with my laptop. Mostly I just want something with decent range and stability with good long term support. Ie. Some stable version of Tomato/Open-WRT etc will be available 4 years from now. I realize that last part is just going to be pure guess work but I bet some of you have a better idea than I do.

If you read this and you think I should just get something entirely different then I'll take those suggestions as well, but the budget is softly set around $150, and I'm leaning towards the N16 because it's the cheapest of the bunch and seems to have largest support of open firmware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Depends on your connection. RT-N16 will handle up to around 120mbps and be completely unresponsive during it. I use mine as just an AP now.