Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
For my first Heroic, I made a Necro. I'm going to try to recover a second old account today and make a Shaman. Hopping onto the Necro last night was a bit overwhelming with a huge pile of skills & spells that I know nothing about, and I'm sure the Shaman tonight will be the same deal. Are there any decent guides that can teach me the basics of either class's high level play?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Zhentar posted:

For my first Heroic, I made a Necro. I'm going to try to recover a second old account today and make a Shaman. Hopping onto the Necro last night was a bit overwhelming with a huge pile of skills & spells that I know nothing about, and I'm sure the Shaman tonight will be the same deal. Are there any decent guides that can teach me the basics of either class's high level play?

A heroic char starter guide would be pretty great. Just something to break down all the important spells/skills/aa you should be using for each class at 85 in different settings.

Richard Cabeza
Mar 1, 2005

What a dickhead...
Just a FYI: Ominous Latin Words is still alive but inactive on Luclin. I have a few alts in it but I rarely see anyone on. My active characters are in Ascending Angels. Luclin is fairly active as compared to what I know of other servers.

DKWildz
Jan 7, 2002
Wingblades, anyone?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I loved Sky raids. gently caress all the haters.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Alright dudes, I finally got around to updating my UI so it is error-free and fresh:

http://www.eqinterface.com/downloads/fileinfo.php?id=6417

quote:

- Updated to the latest patch.
- Replaced Kessi mercenary window with the one from Sparxx UI. Note that this involves having a blank page on the standard mercenary inventory page (6th tab in your inventory), and instead has the inventory in a pop-up window accessible from the mercenary management window.
- Cleaned up the tiny Tribute Window; buttons are now aligned.
- Cleaned up various small alignment flaws in the border for certain windows.
Check out the sexiness:

DKWildz posted:

Wingblades, anyone?

Haha, I just farmed him the other day for an obscure PoS quest item. It rocks being able to survive death touches. :rock: I do Sky multiple times per week, with the goal of finishing all six quests for Monks.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
One of the quest items for one of the three paladin weapons (why did we get more than one weapon in Plane of Sky and everybody else got more quests for all different slots. I am still mad about that!) in Sky is another paladin sword from Bixie island that is 2/16. I've been trying to get that for some time now.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Pilsner posted:

Check out the sexiness:

You should toss in the awesome half sized disc window, it snuggles in with horizontal hotbars so well.

catrkoraz
Sep 9, 2006

Zhentar posted:

Some basic AAs for a heroic shaman to get, assuming it's for grouping purposes.

Active:
Cannibalization - Mana for HP aa (Never use the spell canni)
Turgur's Swarm - AA slow. Never load a spell slow except Counterbias (This changes in a couple very specific raids but you'll know when you need it)
Virulent Paralysis - Knockback root. This is the Shaman crowd control ability.
Paralytic Spores - Another knockback root. I don't think this is available until level 100 but keep it in mind.
Inconspicuous Totem - Fade aa.
Crippling Apparition and Crippling Spirit - These are ~10 minute reuse cripple aas. There isn't much of a need to cripple trash but it helps on named. Don't mem the spell.
Group Perfected Levitation - Lev baby
Group Silent Presence - Invis baby
Communion of the Cheetah - Cheetah baby
[Hotkey for invis and cheetah, on two lines /alt activate 152 and /alt activate 630]

Passives:
Just going to be general here. Loot for hastened abilities for canni and your specific heal spells. Get your healing AAs as well. If your planning on dotting then get your DOT aas. Never use your pet because they suck and you'll spend more effort clicking the button to send them to attack then you could gain from pressing 1 button on a DPS class.

DPS:
EPIC - get it.
Third Spire - Meele stuff
Ancestral Aid - Adds attack

Spells @ 85:
Dannal's Mending - Your basic heal
Antecedent's Intervention - Emercency group heal which heals more the the lower the person is in HP. If your 40% or lower its pretty much a full heal.
(LVL 87+) Qirik's Recourse - Our first real group heal. This is a game changer.
Talisman of the Lynx - Group proc buff. This really isn't that great but its easy to cast. In raids its usefulness is very very questionable due to its cast time.
Healing Counterbias - Slow that procs a really good HOT on your targets target. This slow is the same % of the AA but a shorter duration. You can start with this and then cast AA slow for longer fights.
DOTS - For group, just use your highest two fast DOTs and then highest magic, poison, then disease however you like.

There's a bit more I'm sure but that's a quick and dry for a group shaman.

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
Maybe a stupid question, but is there a goon server anymore? I feel like I remember a lot of goons quitting that were on Luclin a while back.

Also, what classes are fun to solo now-a-days?

Cithen fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Mar 14, 2014

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

The most goons are on Test, but only a few play with any frequency, there's just not enough drive for a full fledged goon revival.

Best classes to play if you're strictly wanting solo (not boxing) is mage, necro, SK imo. Pet classes are completely imbalanced and their pets (with good EM focus) can tank as well as actual player tanks without all the insane time spent getting gear/augs for them. SK's can still get mad XP swarming (compared to other classes) but you're not going to be close to what it was before unless you're raid geared.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch

Keith Stone posted:

Just a FYI: Ominous Latin Words is still alive but inactive on Luclin. I have a few alts in it but I rarely see anyone on. My active characters are in Ascending Angels. Luclin is fairly active as compared to what I know of other servers.

This is probably the most hilarious post in the entire loving history of goon EQ threads and I really hope someone else who gets how goddamn funny this is sees it.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

MrTheDevious posted:

This is probably the most hilarious post in the entire loving history of goon EQ threads and I really hope someone else who gets how goddamn funny this is sees it.

Fearboners RIP

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

They just raised the saved AA cap for all characters to 70 on Test, finally I don't need to basically punch the keyboard to spend AA's fast enough before leveling while PLing when MQAAspend is down.

edit: They apparently raised saved AA cap to 100 on Live, haven't confirmed if it's on Test yet

Midnight City fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Mar 14, 2014

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
I still play on test quite regularly, and actually just invited a few other goons into Roost the other day. If anyone wants in or wants any help message Acuity in game. I'm 99 now on my monk and bard, and 97 on my mage so I should be able to help with most stuff.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch

xZAOx posted:

Fearboners RIP

:hfive: glad it was you who saw it first

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

jetz0r posted:

Sup, guess RoI is the unofficial goon guild, with two of us there? Maybe 3 if we would take another paladin.

You can make this official now. See you Sunday.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Node posted:

You can make this official now. See you Sunday.

Screw the test guild, we have our own guild with hookers, blackjack, and current raids!

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
I must know about these hookers

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

Hey unicorn furries, tell me some clickies that my new 100 pally needs that I may not already know about coming from an SK.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Node posted:

I must know about these hookers

Corlen, new guildnote.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
Any suggestions for a general spell/disc/AA lineup for a heroic 85 SK doing regular tank/dps while moloing ?

I've not played an SK before and now have buttons everywhere which I'm just mashing when they pop-up.

Initially I've been using Hate's attraction to grab a mob or a snare if its not refreshed. Then drop 3 dots on it and tank away along with the pet.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Midnight City posted:

Hey unicorn furries, tell me some clickies that my new 100 pally needs that I may not already know about coming from an SK.

First off they are pegasi and they are noble and glorious.

Secondly I'll post stuff I've found useful as a paladin I've played since day one. Some are easy to get, some take a while to get, one is from a mob really hard to find up.

Priority 1 is your epic obviously. Its one of the epics that is still incredibly useful to this day. it gives you a weak proc by today's standards, but it also gives you a flat out percentage bonus to any heals that land on you, usable every five minutes. Its perfect. And since you'll be in Anguish, loot a Jayruk's Vest and get your Anguish BP - Dawnseeker's Chestplate of the Defender. It's on a different timer than most BPs, it gives you a defensive proc that heals you around 1300. It doesnt crit, but it stacks with stuff that increase your healing % like your epic. Its awesome, theres no reason not to have it up.

Its fabled season - personally I don't like to run around using invis potions and refilling them all the time, so go farm a Fabled Incarnadine Breastplate from the king in Chardok. He doesn't drop it often, and its a slow casting invis click, but I use it over potions unless I can't stop and need the instant invis potions give. He spawns every two hours. You can kill the guy before him to farm for a...

Anklesmasher is a snare hammer that procs often. It was nice when I soloed at one point, but nowadays I haven't found much use for it. This guy is on a regular time interval. You can also farm a Jeldorin in Chardok, which was an awesome paladin weapon for its time, but it isn't any useful today of course.

Divine Hammer of Consternation/Constipation is a hammer that procs divine aura, which is nice if you have rampage. Good luck finding the guy up.

Mantle of the Wyrmguard I've never used but if you have a group member thats purpled out you can click it and get them back on their feet quickly, it clicks a low level group heal.

There is also a shield from Arthicrex that drops zone wide, or from the mission chest, that you can click that procs a rune, which can help you keep agro on multiple mobs. That one will be a monster to farm for unless you get lucky with a chest.

I think that's it for stuff useful to paladins today. There are clicks I didn't mention that are useful to everyone, like the Silken Trillium, Blooddrinker's Coating, ring of the ancients, lizardscale plated girdle, damage shield clickies (I use a pauldron of dark auspices from Tacvi instead of the click from Yar'Lir, because I got it first and the ONE extra damage shield just doesn't entice me enough to go to DoN.)

Out of all that stuff, I'd get the anguish bp. You need to get faction unfortunately, but its a click you will never not want to use.

Oh, and buy a Flower Bouquet of Plenty, so you can click it and give a nice flower to every fair maiden you meet. Remember, you're a courtly gentleman off the battlefield.

Node fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Mar 14, 2014

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

jetz0r posted:

Corlen, new guildnote.

I looked through my post history in this thread and it was April 11th 2013 you invited me to join up with you guys in NtoV. Almost a year. How far and how long we've come.

It won't last long when I mess up the emote in bixie 2 and DT the raid and get kicked on the spot though.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

MrTheDevious posted:

Ah, the days when the EQ goon force was great enough to cause drama and guild splintering. :)

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

MrTheDevious posted:

I wish I got the joke :saddowns:.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
Is there ever some kind of upgrade to Grim Aura, or will it continue to stack with all the SK's other buffs all the way? I feel like a tool doing it but I can't stop keeping it up even if it's only like 10 ATK :saddowns: Same with Banshee Aura. Stacks with the Cloak of X line, gotta keep it up!

Maybe I should try and get a fabled shrunken goblin skull earring which has an Aura of Rage clicky, which is like the old earring's grim aura but better and doesn't stack with it. It's like 10 atk better! :shepicide:

The SK is level 68 now, if that helps answer my question.

Edit: Found the mob up, tested the fabled earring, it gives 27atk to Grim Aura's 14 at my level and stacks with all the other stuff too :pseudo:

Psykmoe fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Mar 14, 2014

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Psykmoe posted:

Is there ever some kind of upgrade to Grim Aura, or will it continue to stack with all the SK's other buffs all the way? I feel like a tool doing it but I can't stop keeping it up even if it's only like 10 ATK :saddowns: Same with Banshee Aura. Stacks with the Cloak of X line, gotta keep it up!

Maybe I should try and get a fabled shrunken goblin skull earring which has an Aura of Rage clicky, which is like the old earring's grim aura but better and doesn't stack with it. It's like 10 atk better! :shepicide:

The SK is level 68 now, if that helps answer my question.

Edit: Found the mob up, tested the fabled earring, it gives 27atk to Grim Aura's 14 at my level and stacks with all the other stuff too :pseudo:
You can check out the stacking issues of any spell on Lucy, like this: http://lucy.allakhazam.com/stacking.html?id=346&source=Live . You search/find a spell, then click the "Stacking" link in the top right corner. I've done a little write-up on spell stacking in general here: http://www.zlizeq.com/Game_Mechanics-Buffs_and_Debuffs#1_Buff_Stacking

Looks like it only really collides with ranger buffs.

Poistiant
Aug 22, 2006

Node posted:

Click stuff

This helps me too so I can pretend I'm useful with my paladin, thanks for the post.

qxx
Dec 2, 2005

Only the wrong survive.

Psykmoe posted:

Maybe I should try and get a fabled shrunken goblin skull earring which has an Aura of Rage clicky, which is like the old earring's grim aura but better and doesn't stack with it. It's like 10 atk better!

And like half the duration. I've asked some devs to extend the duration of the click to at least match Grim Aura's. The answer was no. The short duration drives me nuts and 20 ATK may very well be parseless but I can't-stop-clicking it :f5h::shepicide:

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
So uh Xorbb1...
Got eyeball that DDs until you move out line of sight.
Minotaur pet tanked??
Brownie tanked normal, memblurs and warps, have SK hates attraction back to mt. Dodge fireballs, duck.
Have group assigned to killing executioner near pit.

Once brownie is dead burn minotaur. Does executioner continue to chopping block people?

This information may become relevant next year when we give it a serious try.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

darkhand posted:

So uh Xorbb1...
Minotaur pet tanked??
Brownie tanked normal, memblurs and warps, have SK hates attraction back to mt. Dodge fireballs, duck.

Once brownie is dead burn minotaur. Does executioner continue to chopping block people?

Fireballs and Executioners are both tied to the brownie. Mino's whip will kind of try to grab the brownie tank.
You'll want the Mino dead soon after the brownie.

qxx posted:

And like half the duration. I've asked some devs to extend the duration of the click to at least match Grim Aura's. The answer was no. The short duration drives me nuts and 20 ATK may very well be parseless but I can't-stop-clicking it :f5h::shepicide:

Memento of the Ungod's suffering is a 100 minute buff. It must have been made by a non-asshat dev. Elidroth, Chandrok and Aristo all love giving us self buffs buffs with short timers that don't match.

Psykmoe posted:

Is there ever some kind of upgrade to Grim Aura, or will it continue to stack with all the SK's other buffs all the way?

There's an SK +atk lich spell, from 85+ or 90+ that gives more atk than the ranger +atk/hp buff.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

darkhand posted:

So uh Xorbb1...
Minotaur pet tanked??

Mino is susceptible to blind, you might find that useful. Mino's melee ramps up over time, so unless you're RoI fast on burning brownie, Mino will be essentially untankable outside of deflections and weaponshields.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

:siren:

quote:

Bonus XP will start in about 30mins (~noon Pacific time). It'll end Sunday at midnight.

Lockout Timer Reduction will reduce lockouts by 30%. This will also start in about 30mins (~noon Pacific time) and end at midnight at Thurs, March 20.
:siren:

saintonan posted:

Mino is susceptible to blind, you might find that useful. Mino's melee ramps up over time, so unless you're RoI fast on burning brownie, Mino will be essentially untankable outside of deflections and weaponshields.

The ramp up is after the brownie dies. If you balance them down, his hits stay the same.

Even when we burn brownie, the mino still has to die quickly before he starts rounding tanks. But the brownie is the source of all the really difficult mechanics in that raid. A guild with infinite testcopied res tokens should eventually be able to beat an infinite hitting minotaur.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

jetz0r posted:

A guild with infinite testcopied res tokens should eventually be able to beat an infinite hitting minotaur.

So test raids are like a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters. Except the monkeys die in funny ways on Twitch streams.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Devor posted:

So test raids are like a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters. Except the monkeys die in funny ways on Twitch streams.

Test raids are like Twitch plays EverQuest.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

jetz0r posted:

Test raids are like Twitch plays EverQuest.

That would explain the leader /camping out during the middle of the raid

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Devor posted:

That would explain the leader /camping out during the middle of the raid

I really need to watch these streams.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Node posted:

I really need to watch these streams.

Well to be fair that was just from stories in this thread of the leader rage quitting when something didn't happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

Fuuuuck do I even want to know what grounds entrance is going to be like with double xp going?