Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Angular Landbury posted:

What is the "Earthquake character" aside from "big dude named Earthquake"?

He's a big dude named Earthquake. Same as Vader's character, with 'Earthquake' replaced by 'Vader'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I believe Vader's character is "big dude named Vader who can do a moonsault."

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

flashy_mcflash posted:

He's a big dude named Earthquake. Same as Vader's character, with 'Earthquake' replaced by 'Vader'.

Excuse me, but I don't remember there being an "Earthquake Time". :colbert:

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
Vader was also a Mastodon.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Red posted:

Excuse me, but I don't remember there being an "Earthquake Time". :colbert:
It's always time for Quakeburgers.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Angular Landbury posted:

What is the "Earthquake character" aside from "big dude named Earthquake"?

I meant more that they wanted John Tenta in a non-Earthquake role.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Halloween Jack posted:

I believe Vader's character is "big dude named Vader who can do a moonsault."

Also will kill Foley.

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.

Rusty Shackelford posted:

I meant more that they wanted John Tenta in a non-Earthquake role.

So a big dude... who ISN'T named Earthquake? :psyboom:

Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012

Justin Godscock posted:

Wrestling has always been behind when it comes to pop culture; when WWE started having their wrestlers wear South Park shirts (as mentioned) in like early 1999 the show had a HUGE dropoff in popularity. Matt Stone and Trey Parker are very open about this fact if anyone gets a chance to listen to the 10th anniversary movie Bluray commentary. It wasn't until the movie hit did the show get a shock of life and it was uphill from that point on. But when John Tenta was carrying Cartman plushies to the ring, the show was considered a flash in the pan.

Really? They actually talk about wrestlers wearing South Park shirts?

Sorry about the mixup, Master P was indeed featured on a South Park album BEFORE the movie. The movie had amazing songs, though.

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

Red posted:

Yokozuna was fired for getting too fat.
Big Daddy V was fired for getting too fat.
Chris Hero was fired because his attitude about training meant he might get fat one day.
Kevin Steen probably won't get a job because he used to be really fat.
Big Boss Man was highest on the card when he was at his fattest.
Earthquake has to wear a mask and a Cartman shirt because he wasn't fat enough.
Mickie James, attractive woman, nicknamed "Piggie James" because she wasn't model thin.
Molly Holly, attractive woman, called fat because she wasn't model thin.

So I have no idea.

Mark Henry, sent down to OVW to lose weight. Did so. Almost immediately after that, they decide they want him to compete in power lifting again, so he got big(ger) again.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Angular Landbury posted:

So a big dude... who ISN'T named Earthquake? :psyboom:

Right, that's why they put him under a mask.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
The funny thing is Earthquake actually worked a dark match in 1998 before the Golga gimmick and he looked fine and got a good reaction. There was footage of the match on YouTube at one point. I'm phone posting so I can't check right now.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Hot Poppin Bunnz posted:

The Outlaws were wearing South Park shirts while they were still heels in '97. I remember this because I was shocked to see something so current on a pro-wrestling TV program.

I remember that being one of the primary reasons why I and my teenage friends liked the Outlaws. They appeared to be some of the only relatively hip and cool people in wrestling who had any concept of pop culture. It's also a big part of what made ECW so cool that doesn't translate to people watching it today.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

CopywrightMMXI posted:

The funny thing is Earthquake actually worked a dark match in 1998 before the Golga gimmick and he looked fine and got a good reaction. There was footage of the match on YouTube at one point. I'm phone posting so I can't check right now.

Never knew that was Earthquake, and I actually liked the Oddities.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I was wrong - the Earthquake dark match is from 2001. He fought Joey Abs. It's right here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfpTylKeHsM

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Killed By Death posted:

Mark Henry, sent down to OVW to lose weight. Did so. Almost immediately after that, they decide they want him to compete in power lifting again, so he got big(ger) again.

Then you have Big Show's 18 different tries at weight loss.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I'm trying to find a way to steer the direction back to WCW, and all I have is this:

Remember when Hulk joined the Wolfpac and dressed like a cholo for the following Thunder? Because that poo poo was hilarious.

BubbaGrace
Jul 14, 2006

My friends who weren't even wrestling fans preferred Russo era WCW to WWF at the time. I'll never understand why.

Gnome Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2007

The skies are always sunny in the heart of flavor country.

Bubba Grace posted:

My friends who weren't even wrestling fans preferred Russo era WCW to WWF at the time. I'll never understand why.

WCW always had that thing going where they did a better job of treating wrestling like a sport, which they even did better than the WWF when Russo got involved. That was actually when I got into wrestling myself and I'm pretty sure it was what made me prefer Nitro to RAW at the time.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Red posted:

I think Show is a little different due to the disease, I mean I could be wrong but I'm not sure how well you can slim down as he is.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Onmi posted:

I think Show is a little different due to the disease, I mean I could be wrong but I'm not sure how well you can slim down as he is.

He can't slim when he's on the road. The longer he has without a lay off the more weight he puts on, which now thankfully means that he seems to get semi regular short breaks. The WWE wasn't always as enlightened about this, and punished him repeatedly from his arrival in the company to when he left for a couple of years for putting the weight on, normally with depushes or even pulling him from TV and sending him to OVW.

During his WCW stint his weight was never such a problem, in part because of the touring schedule they had which was differently structured and had less travelling time involved. So obviously instead of looking at the causes when he went to WWE they wrote him off for a time as being lazy.

Edit: To be fair to WWE, most of their concerns over his weight did come from worries about his health. The problem was more one of communication - Show was made to feel like he was being repeatedly punished by the head of talent relations, which wasn't helped at all but the numerous not so veiled comments made by JR in his blog over the years. Ross was notoriously bad at handling these sorts of things, his management of Mark Henry being another example of this, and Show was pretty open when he left the WWE as to how his relationship with talent relations had reached rock bottom. Apparently Vince is now much more hands on in talking to talent about these sorts of concerns and the way they manage it has shifted a great deal, particularly post Benoit.

Skinty McEdger fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Mar 14, 2014

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Skinty McEdger posted:

He can't slim when he's on the road. The longer he has without a lay off the more weight he puts on, which now thankfully means that he seems to get semi regular short breaks. The WWE wasn't always as enlightened about this, and punished him repeatedly from his arrival in the company to when he left for a couple of years for putting the weight on, normally with depushes or even pulling him from TV and sending him to OVW.

During his WCW stint his weight was never such a problem, in part because of the touring schedule they had which was differently structured and had less travelling time involved. So obviously instead of looking at the causes when he went to WWE they wrote him off for a time as being lazy.

I more mean, Slim for Show is never going to be Slim for another person. And yeah the longer he is without a break he just gets worse and worse which does not help him. But he's always going to be a big guy and that's just how his body is. Then again I could be wrong, but to me he's always looked like he'll never not be heavyset. Like he can be less heavyset but he's always going to have that body.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Onmi posted:

I more mean, Slim for Show is never going to be Slim for another person. And yeah the longer he is without a break he just gets worse and worse which does not help him. But he's always going to be a big guy and that's just how his body is. Then again I could be wrong, but to me he's always looked like he'll never not be heavyset. Like he can be less heavyset but he's always going to have that body.

Pretty much. Sometimes when you have a guy with that body type and size it's hard to judge when he's put on too much weight, it's not like with Yoko where in the last few years it became increasingly obvious. You can normally tell when Show needs a lay off not by his size so much as looking at his mobility. Normally just before a lay off he'll be much less mobile in the ring and spend more time near the ropes, when he comes back he moves a lot more smoothly.

Again the ethos has changed a lot. If you look at the late 90's whenever management felt someone was having problems with their weight they would be booked in such a way as to send a message, often in quite embarrassing fashion. See Vader's "I'm just a fat bastard" promo or Yoko being booked to break the ring ropes when he went for the bonsai drop (which happened after he actually did that at a house show). There were messages being sent not only to the guys involved, but also to other guys in the back, and that mindset probably ended up doing more harm than good.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Skinty McEdger posted:

Edit: To be fair to WWE, most of their concerns over his weight did come from worries about his health. The problem was more one of communication - Show was made to feel like he was being repeatedly punished by the head of talent relations, which wasn't helped at all but the numerous not so veiled comments made by JR in his blog over the years. Ross was notoriously bad at handling these sorts of things, his management of Mark Henry being another example of this, and Show was pretty open when he left the WWE as to how his relationship with talent relations had reached rock bottom. Apparently Vince is now much more hands on in talking to talent about these sorts of concerns and the way they manage it has shifted a great deal, particularly post Benoit.

You also have the time that he was pulled from No Mercy and his storyline was given to Stevie Richards.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Gnome Enthusiast posted:

WCW always had that thing going where they did a better job of treating wrestling like a sport, which they even did better than the WWF when Russo got involved. That was actually when I got into wrestling myself and I'm pretty sure it was what made me prefer Nitro to RAW at the time.

Nothing says "Sport" like the Fat Chick Thriller Mike Awesome

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Retrieving things from poles is a true test of athletic ability and the only real sport.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Apparently the Superbowl this year will be contested in a Hardcore Invitational

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

flashy_mcflash posted:

This was pre-Russo.

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

flashy_mcflash posted:

That would be better than the squash match it ended up being.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

LividLiquid posted:

This was pre-Russo.

You're pre-Russo! :argh:

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Red posted:

He actually lost weight a lot of times, it's keeping it off that's the challenge.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Show can mostly keep the weight off if he's not on the road. When you start to see Show on TV a lot, he starts to pack it on again.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Zack_Gochuck posted:

You're pre-Russo! :argh:
Nobody should be expected to keep track of WCW's regime-to-stupidity chart. I just lived through it and remember it pretty vividly.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

LividLiquid posted:

Remember when Hulk joined the Wolfpac and dressed like a cholo for the following Thunder? Because that poo poo was hilarious.

Please tell me there's a picture somewhere, I need Hulkico my life.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Shima Honnou posted:

Please tell me there's a picture somewhere, I need Hulkico my life.

DudeDeuce
Feb 2, 2003
The MAN

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x172p7b_wcw-thunder-1-7-1999-part-1_sport

About 45:18 in

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
When I was this age I watched both shows equally because we had a cable box that was hacked so I could record all the ppvs and re watch them over and over again. I watch WM 13 probably 10 times as a kid. One thing that I really liked about WCW aside from the obvious ten year old pleasers like Goldberg was the little guys, which WWF didn't offer much of.

The Malenko Jericho fued, Alex Wright, La Parka, Kidman. These were the things that kept me interested in WCW. I really liked Taka Michinoku but I barely remember other cool little guys from that era of WWF.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

It's all I could have ever hoped for in my life :allears:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Konaan didn't age well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
Halloween Havoc 98 had Big Show doing a slow as hell, stumbly missile dropkick. It was amazing to watch.