Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

nerdbot posted:

Barry in Diamond/Pearl/Platinum was probably the closest they got to doing a rival who was your Goofy Friend while also being a, er, rival. Bianca and Cheren were kind of lousy as rivals but I liked them as characters, at least. Same with Hugh--he was hilarious.

He's one of the reasons I liked the Sinnoh games. You had a rival that was a complete spaz, while still being an actual rival; Professor Rowan, who doesn't take crap from anybody; and Team Galactic, who were somewhat of an actual threat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

JerryLee posted:

I didn't like the way my friends were constantly holding my hand through the plot and explaining everything during the cutscenes. Your character has always been a silent protagonist, but in gens 1-4 it seemed to be that you would generally find your way into and through plot-centric dungeons without an improbable Greek chorus accompanying you. When you had NPC help/commentary, it was something that made sense in context (Lance in GSC).

Having a few different recurring friends with different motivations is fine, good even, but it should be along the rival/Wally model from RSE. The way the friends were used in this game, they hit their saturation point very quickly for me.

At this point they might well make the next one have a whole relationship system with a dating minigame. Hell Pokemon Amie can easily be made into just Mon Amie. (The preceding was only half sarcastic)

avlein
Jun 13, 2011
Pokémon Social Links go!

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

sincx posted:

At this point they might well make the next one have a whole relationship system with a dating minigame. Hell Pokemon Amie can easily be made into just Mon Amie. (The preceding was only half sarcastic)

So you're basically saying Nintendo should release Pokesona.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

JerryLee posted:

Having a few different recurring friends with different motivations is fine, good even, but it should be along the rival/Wally model from RSE. The way the friends were used in this game, they hit their saturation point very quickly for me.

Wally was my favorite. This sickly kid you met towards the beginning of the game wants to be a Pokemon trainer... and then he surprises you with a battle at the end of Victory Road, packing a Lv45 Gardevoir among others.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

The Bee posted:

So you're basically saying Nintendo should release Pokesona.

They're already halfway there, with you being the only person in Kalos who knows how to use more than 2 or 3 Pokemon.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.

DizzyBum posted:

Wally was my favorite. This sickly kid you met towards the beginning of the game wants to be a Pokemon trainer... and then he surprises you with a battle at the end of Victory Road, packing a Lv45 Gardevoir among others.

And then you realize you're beating up a sickly kid. :smith:

Echoing the previous sentiment, Pearl was my favorite rival. Felt like one while still being a friend. And he was fairly competent (I think?)

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Tardigrade posted:

And then you realize you're beating up a sickly kid. :smith:

Echoing the previous sentiment, Pearl was my favorite rival. Felt like one while still being a friend. And he was fairly competent (I think?)

He has the second highest levelled Pokemon in the series, beaten only by HGSS Red.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

He also dances at the start of the battle.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I don't know what it is with me and random Passersby lately... but I just had another one.

5XFW-WWWW-WWW6-5WL6

This time it was a Double Battle, and it was me that got to clean house on the rear end in a top hat with the shiny legendaries. That... felt pretty good.

And I don't even play Doubles, typically! :psyduck:

Silver Falcon fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Mar 13, 2014

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
I don't know when Showdown started having random doubles, but I'm addicted to them now. I've been meaning to learn the format for a while, and it's a great way to get introduced to the strategy behind it. And it's so much more fun than singles!

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Pureauthor posted:

He has the second highest levelled Pokemon in the series, beaten only by HGSS Red.

...after defeating the E4 20 times. Funnily enough I've never done that. But yeah, Barry is great.

Jelly Omelet
Sep 2, 2011

I just got an Unburden Treecko from wonder trade, and now I want to breed some more. The only problem I'm having is decide what I should breed for the best makes use of his dream world ability. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

Jelly Omelettle posted:

I just got an Unburden Treecko from wonder trade, and now I want to breed some more. The only problem I'm having is decide what I should breed for the best makes use of his dream world ability. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I see some people do a Swords Dance first turn -> Red Card to take threat out of room -> Leaf Blade/EQ people in the face with HP Ice for more coverage or synthesis for recovery.

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013
So I tried to use the GTS Service in Pokemon X/Y. Are all users of this system a bunch of trolls or are they a bunch of 7 year olds who don't understand supply and demand?

I am not going to give you a [insert super rare legendary here] for your [insert catchable in wild here].

Why can't people be reasonable? Charmander for Bulbasaur, that makes sense. Mew for Bulbasaur, you are out of your mind!

Is there any way to filter the results better? 95% of them all want a legendary for a non-legendary. My guess is the system is broken.

I'm trying to be efficient in game. I have a Beedrill with False Swipe and a Haunter with Hypnosis to help catch wild creatures. Any suggestions on hatching eggs faster? I heard there is an O-Power for it. Does the fire ability from past generations hatch them faster too still? I think a Macargo or something in your party hatched faster, does that still work?

edit: I hatched some Charmanders and gave them out via Wonder Trade. I hope I helped somebody. I got an Eevee from some Japanese dude and I thank you Japanese dude!

Silver Falcon posted:

I don't know what it is with me and random Passersby lately... but I just had another one.

5XFW-WWWW-WWW6-5WL6

This time it was a Double Battle, and it was me that got to clean house on the rear end in a top hat with the shiny legendaries. That... felt pretty good.

And I don't even play Doubles, typically! :psyduck:

How do I view this? My game hasn't given me the option to "watch replays" yet, or if it has I missed it.

Spectacle Rock fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Mar 13, 2014

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Spectacle Rock posted:

So I tried to use the GTS Service in Pokemon X/Y. Are all users of this system a bunch of trolls or are they a bunch of 7 year olds who don't understand supply and demand?

I am not going to give you a [insert super rare legendary here] for your [insert catchable in wild here].

Why can't people be reasonable? Charmander for Bulbasaur, that makes sense. Mew for Bulbasaur, you are out of your mind!

Is there any way to filter the results better? 95% of them all want a legendary for a non-legendary. My guess is the system is broken.

I'm trying to be efficient in game. I have a Beedrill with False Swipe and a Haunter with Hypnosis to help catch wild creatures. Any suggestions on hatching eggs faster? I heard there is an O-Power for it. Does the fire ability from past generations hatch them faster too still? I think a Macargo or something in your party hatched faster, does that still work?

edit: I hatched some Charmanders and gave them out via Wonder Trade. I hope I helped somebody. I got an Eevee from some Japanese dude and I thank you Japanese dude!
Flame Body and Magma Armor still help with hatching. Do you have a fletchinder?

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013

Nihilarian posted:

Flame Body and Magma Armor still help with hatching. Do you have a fletchinder?

I don't have a Fletchinder, but I have a Fletchling. Evolution time baby! Thanks for the tip.

It feels weird playing this game. If this was RBYGSC I could tell you all about all the creatures and all the strategies and stuff like that. I feel like I'm just beyond square one.

I guess it takes hours of playing and reading Internet stuff to be in the groove like I used to be. Here's hoping I get there soon :)

edit: I should probably go buy a Strategy Guide like I did when I bought Red and Blue. Very handy to have all that data at your fingertips in portable form.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Spectacle Rock posted:

People do reasonable trades a lot, they just get snatched up instantly and all that's left is the Mewtwos for Ratattas

Alvarez IV
Aug 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
I'm trying to build a competitive team that wins more than it loses while still using pokemon that I like and would use in an in-game team. It's my first time with a competitive team that I didn't just steal from someone else, can someone who knows more than I do get me on that next level poo poo?

Groucho (greninja)
Life Orb
Protean
Surf, Ice Beam, Dark Pulse, Extrasensory
4 HP, 252 SpA, 252 Spe
Timid

Zeppo (blaziken)
Wide Lens
Speed Boost
High Jump Kick, Flare Blitz, Protect, Baton Pass
4 HP, 252 Atk, 252 Spe
Adamant

Chico (ampharos)
Ampharosite
Mold Breaker
Thunderbolt, Dragon Pulse, Signal Beam, Heal Bell
252 HP, 252 SpA, 4 SpD
Modest

Harpo (garchomp)
Rocky Helmet
Rough Skin
Outrage, Earthquake, Rock Slide, Stealth Rock
4 HP, 252 Atk, 252 Spe
Jolly

Gummo (florges)
Leftovers
Flower Veil
Moonblast, Calm Mind, Toxic, Protect
252 HP, 252 Def, 4 SpA
Bold

Karl (aegislash)
Weakness Policy
Stance Change
Iron Head, Sacred Sword, Shadow Sneak, King's Shield
252 HP, 252 Atk, 4 SpD
Adamant

It's not a particularly sophisticated team; my strategy is 90% hitting hard and fast, with some concessions made towards the natural strengths of each pokemon. Hopefully you can see what I'm going for and tell me what would make it better.

Off-topic, it feels weird capitalizing the names of pokemon and the word "pokemon" itself, so I don't do it. It feels too much like writing the sentence "I'll trade you my Dog for your Fish so that I'll have had all the Pets and can finally consider myself the Animal Master!".

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Spectacle Rock posted:

How do I view this? My game hasn't given me the option to "watch replays" yet, or if it has I missed it.

You can view it on the Vs. Seeker, which you get in the post-game. You get it at the Battle Maison. Once you have it, jump online, open the Vs. Seeker and click down at the bottom "Search by Code" and punch that in.

Oh and for catching I heartily recommend a Technician Breloom. Spore and False Swipe, and False Swipe gets boosted by Technician. Plus it's an adorable dancing mushroom. What's not to like?

Yuwe
Apr 6, 2009

Spectacle Rock posted:

Just put in your own reasonable trade offers on the GTS. Reasonable stuff gets snatched up quickly, while the other requests just stay there forever.

Try raising a Breloom, Parasect, or Gallade with False Swipe + Spore/Hypnosis if you want to consolidate your catching mons. Spore is also more reliable than hypnosis (but won't work on Grass types). I'm pretty sure there are other mons that can combine False Swipe and a sleep move as well, if none of them seem appealing. Pancham/Pangoro get Scrappy False Swipe (but no sleep move) to hit ghosts if you need that.

Flame Body and Magma Armor still have their effect on egg hatching. Fletchinder/Talonflame is good for the job since it's easy to obtain and can also learn Fly, which is handy.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Toraen posted:

Just put in your own reasonable trade offers on the GTS. Reasonable stuff gets snatched up quickly, while the other requests just stay there forever.

This is pretty much the only way to use GTS. Putting up your own trades works about 100000000% more than searching for a quality trade.
It still bums out that GTS has so few filters, would nature, ability, and egg moves be too much to ask for?

Squats
Nov 4, 2009

They don't allow you to post screenshots on the X/Y miiverse community? But I need to get screenshots of my shinies for posterity!

I caught my first X/Y shinies last night! The first was an audino :what: as I was grinding them trying to level up/evolve the last five pokemon I needed for the complete national dex, so I didn't even have the shiny charm then. The second is a purple pupitar who will sadly evolve into a tan tyranitar, but I'll take what I can get!

Speaking of, I have Y, so I can't get tyranitarite unless I trade with someone with X or wait and see if the inevitable Z/X^2/Y^2 has it? I suppose I'm not in that much of a hurry to give my tan tyranitar some sort of horrible bone condition.

Spectacle Rock, as others have said, the GTS is actually pretty usable, so long as you only use it to request pokemon and not actively seek them. All the reasonable trades get snapped up pretty fast, so it's mainly the dumb requests that end up languishing on there. (Also, my in game name is Squats. I think you're the guy I traded that ditto to? Let me know if there's anything else you need!)

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013
Thanks Giant Boy Detective, you're the man!

And thanks everyone else who gave me tips so far. I thought I might not like this current generation but it feels like the old games, better graphics and new features.

Last night I was just biking back and forth in front of the Daycare Center to wait for eggs and then for hatching eggs it was gold and silver all over again except I was riding left to right instead of up and down.

Gotta thank the programmers for giving us a long stretch of road near daycare centers for breeding purposes :)

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk

Spectacle Rock posted:

Thanks Giant Boy Detective, you're the man!

And thanks everyone else who gave me tips so far. I thought I might not like this current generation but it feels like the old games, better graphics and new features.

Last night I was just biking back and forth in front of the Daycare Center to wait for eggs and then for hatching eggs it was gold and silver all over again except I was riding left to right instead of up and down.

Gotta thank the programmers for giving us a long stretch of road near daycare centers for breeding purposes :)

A trick I read someplace for more hands-free hatching:

1. Get a dime or whatever equivalent small, thin object.
2. Go to the tower in the center of Lumiose city.
3. Get on your bike.
4. Line yourself up so you don't hit any of the pedestrians and hold left on the analog stick.
5. Stick the dime under the analog stick to hold it there.
6. Do other stuff and simply watch for the hatch indicator!

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

LegionAreI posted:

A trick I read someplace for more hands-free hatching:

1. Get a dime or whatever equivalent small, thin object.
2. Go to the tower in the center of Lumiose city.
3. Get on your bike.
4. Line yourself up so you don't hit any of the pedestrians and hold left on the analog stick.
5. Stick the dime under the analog stick to hold it there.
6. Do other stuff and simply watch for the hatch indicator!

Most people say this can ruin your analog stick so instead just place something on the left/right direction button that's heavy enough to hold it down. Same effect but cutting out the chance to mess with your analog.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
I use a clothespin. Works like a charm.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
I can't get enough of the Pokemon Amie decorating thing. :3

I want to be able to buy and decorate an apartment in not-Paris.

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."

sincx posted:

I can't get enough of the Pokemon Amie decorating thing. :3

I want to be able to buy and decorate an apartment in not-Paris.

I was kinda hoping that in this technological wonder world we live in now that this game would support patching to allow fluff like this or maybe additional mega-evolutions. I highly doubt that would happen or is even possible but it would be cool as hell.

Guess I'll have to wait for Z to see if my beloved cacturne gets a mega evolution and can become competitively viable.

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO
I doubt X/Y will get any major content updates because there's more money to be made with releasing Pokémon Z I guess. I actually would pay for a Battle Frontier/PWT expansion DLC if the price was reasonable...

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Spectacle Rock posted:

You gotta be online, then use the VS. Recorder in your key items bag, then click search by code.

I just had another solid double battle with my Lapras team for anyone interested:
NA7G-WWWW-WWW6-54VT

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

So, I just got a Ditto with perfect IVs (thank you MacheteZombie!), and then stuck him in the daycare with the Destiny Knot. But, so far, all of his children have only had 1 or 2 perfect IVs. Am I doing something wrong? Shouldn't they all have at least 5 perfect stats?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Blaziken386 posted:

So, I just got a Ditto with perfect IVs (thank you MacheteZombie!), and then stuck him in the daycare with the Destiny Knot. But, so far, all of his children have only had 1 or 2 perfect IVs. Am I doing something wrong? Shouldn't they all have at least 5 perfect stats?

Which Pokeman passes down the IV is random, Destiny Knot just ups the limit from 2 to 5. Just keep breeding and you'll eventually get better IVs.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Nah, Destiny Knot picks 5 IVs between the parents, so you are just having bad luck with it picking all the IVs from the poo poo parent.

What you should do is wait until you get three, switch it out with the one in the daycare until you get four, and so on and so forth until you get what you want.

A perfect IV ditto isn't an instant amazing pokemon creating machine, it just helps cut down on the sheer amount of time it would take to get perfect mons otherwise by a relative poo poo ton.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
I'd like to take a moment to gush about how amazing imposter Ditto is for balancing any team.

Lil' dude is the most flexible pokemon in single battles: an unbeatable finisher of weakened pokemon, a hard counter to almost any setup sweeper imaginable (and you get to sweep afterwards!), gives options to balance out your team with your opponents' pokemon, and if your ditto is ever low in a losing fight you can always make something out of it by saving him for later because he is guaranteed to go first against anything you bring him out against. You wont see many trick room teams in single battles. Sick of those choice scarf Rotom-W openers using trick? Switch into your ditto and just imagine the look on their face. :allears:

I've always wondered, what happens when a ditto comes out against a transformed ditto? Does he copy the copy or does the move fail?

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
The destiny knot means it'll inherit 5 IVs, yes, but not necessarily all from the same parent. Keep track of the IVs of your offspring, and pick out ones with 2-3 perfect IVs to swap with their mom/dad. A couple generations of that and you'll be consistently getting 4-5 IVs on all offspring, with a small but not nonexistent chance of a 6IV.

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

Sanctum posted:

I'd like to take a moment to gush about how amazing imposter Ditto is for balancing any team.

Lil' dude is the most flexible pokemon in single battles: an unbeatable finisher of weakened pokemon, a hard counter to almost any setup sweeper imaginable (and you get to sweep afterwards!), gives options to balance out your team with your opponents' pokemon, and if your ditto is ever low in a losing fight you can always make something out of it by saving him for later because he is guaranteed to go first against anything you bring him out against. You wont see many trick room teams in single battles. Sick of those choice scarf Rotom-W openers using trick? Switch into your ditto and just imagine the look on their face. :allears:

I've always wondered, what happens when a ditto comes out against a transformed ditto? Does he copy the copy or does the move fail?

It fails.

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs
Am I alone in loathing Sky Trainer battles? The only two sufficiently leveled flying types I have are Crobat and Talonflame and I swear every other Sky Trainer has an Electric/Ice/Rock partial type to cover their rear end. I'm this close to bringing in some ringers all the way back from Gen IV to end them all.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Blaziken386 posted:

The Destiny Knot doesn't pass down five IVs out of the six IVs possessed by the specific parent it's given to, it passes down a total of five IVs out of the twelve IVs from the two parents it's given to. There's a chance of getting a 5IV child, if the five stats it inherits are all from the Ditto and also all happen to be its perfect stats - but it's equally likely to inherit all five stats from the other parent and thus end up with no perfect IVs. Although usually it'll inherit some stats from one parent and some stats from the other. Replace the 0IV parent with a 2IV parent or a 3IV parent (one of its own children, if necessary) and you'll have a better chance of getting more perfect IVs.

LEGO Genetics posted:

Am I alone in loathing Sky Trainer battles? The only two sufficiently leveled flying types I have are Crobat and Talonflame and I swear every other Sky Trainer has an Electric/Ice/Rock partial type to cover their rear end. I'm this close to bringing in some ringers all the way back from Gen IV to end them all.

Pretty sure all Sky Battles are optional, so you can just skip them if you're not carrying around a flying type.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Blhue posted:

The destiny knot means it'll inherit 5 IVs, yes, but not necessarily all from the same parent. Keep track of the IVs of your offspring, and pick out ones with 2-3 perfect IVs to swap with their mom/dad. A couple generations of that and you'll be consistently getting 4-5 IVs on all offspring, with a small but not nonexistent chance of a 6IV.

Never all from the same parent! It's At least One From each parent. The remaining 1 or 3 are then randomly chosen from the pool of possible choices.

• Locked thread