Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

RangerAce posted:

But yeah, I also enjoyed the Cam-Vala seasons of SG-1. The big supergate battle, for instance, was one of the best battles they've had in all of Stargate.

Because of when it was made I absolutely adore all the 304 scenes in SGU with Carter on the Hammond wrecking poo poo. CGI had advanced to the point where they took what was already one of my favorite ships and made it even more awesome. The death gliders, the 302s and the Ha'taks all seemed way more imposing with updated graphics. Even the Destiny's design and the FTL effect were loving awesome compared to anything Stargate had ever served up before. I still feel the need to murder someone at Syfy for canceling the show just as it was finding its feet. The music (and I don't mean the season 1 closing montages) was really well done IMO as well.

Atlantis did its 304 scenes nicely as well, but all of Stargate CGI is just a product of its time. I guess I kinda feel like it could have been the DS9 to SG1/Atlantis' TNG. I'd probably only change a few things:

1. Flush Ming-Na's character out an airlock.
2. Lt. Bland can stay or go but Greer should have been running poo poo under the Col.
3. Find some way to inject a bit of the SG-1 style humor into it regularly. A good example of this is when O'Neill (two L's) uses the stones to go talk to Lou Diamond Phillips and goes out the door in the wrong direction right after complaining about being switched with a Sgt.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Mar 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatla
Apr 29, 2004
Blah blah blah.

cycowolf posted:

Was sick the other day so I started watching SG1 yet again. It is amazing to me that no matter how many times I have watched this series, the first sight of Kinsey always pisses me off. I hate that bastard.

Also Vala haters can suck it.

Yes, I always hated that dick.

Also, I liked Vala. I thought she did a great job filling a second female character on the main cast.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I think that's the big thing that killed SG:U for a lot of Stargate fans. No humor.

SG-1 obviously had it with O'Niell, and Atlantis had some humor interjected in. Just the humorous and human banter is what made the series.

Then SG:U comes along and everyone is an emotionless robot for most part. With only anger or angst to break the emotionless monotony.

Diesel
Dec 10, 2002

More than meets the eye

Floppychop posted:

I think that's the big thing that killed SG:U for a lot of Stargate fans. No humor.

SG-1 obviously had it with O'Niell, and Atlantis had some humor interjected in. Just the humorous and human banter is what made the series.

Then SG:U comes along and everyone is an emotionless robot for most part. With only anger or angst to break the emotionless monotony.

Exactly. Good or bad Stargate was always fun. There was an ever-present sense that nobody was taking anything too seriously. SG:U on the other hand sucked all the fun out of it. They tried to capitalize on BSG's dark and gritty feel which didn't work at all for a Stargate show.

cycowolf
Feb 14, 2005

Refill my prescription to whatever that thing is that makes the carpet stop turning into snakes in lieu of my coming conniption

Diesel posted:

They tried to capitalize on BSG's dark and gritty feel which didn't work at all for a Stargate show.

This is exactly what turned me off about it. I have now watched the whole thing and it got better but it never had the feel of Stargate. I would love something new down the road. It is a shame it died like that.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Oh my God, "Foothold" is such a lazy episode. Like, at one point one of the aliens has Carter on the floor ready to be killed and then he literally walks away. They don't even come up with a decent reason for it, he just gets called over the PA system and he turns away and leaves her there.

Even the showrunners must've felt embarrassed by this episode because the ending is all "oh no, the aliens escaped with all our knowledge they could come back and invade us again" and they are never mentioned again.

I did like how at the end the alien leader who gets trapped before he can gate out turns around and presses a big red button on his chest that starts flashing a big red light and making a beeping noise faster and faster, and everyone literally stares at him for 60 seconds before they realize that hey, that might be a bomb.

Fake edit: just realized that the aliens in this episode were the SG equivalent of Scooby-Doo villains.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

The Farscape thread died, so this is a good of a place as any to post it: Justin Monjo is writing a Farscape movie for HBO about John and Aeryn's babby, 20 years later. And Brian Henson's attached to direct! I don't know what to think of it, but eh, it's more Farscape.

http://if.com.au/2014/02/21/article/Monjo-pens-HBO-pilot-Farscape-movie/QNYSTLVCCT.html

quote:

Game of Thrones’ Peter Dinklage is in talks to star in the pilot for an HBO series scripted by Sydney-based Justin Monjo and produced by Ben Stiller’s Red Hour Films.

The prolific Monjo is also writing the screenplay for Farscape, a movie spin-off of the sci-fi series that ran on the Nine Network and the Sci-Fi Channel in the US, for Jim Henson Productions, to be directed by Brian Henson.

“It’s a grounded sci-fi series,” says Monjo, who flies to New York next month to discuss the project with Dinklage, with whom he has corresponded. “HBO and Red Hour think he’s the perfect guy for the part and are very excited about the project.” The intention would be to shoot the one-hour series in 2016 after Dinklage finishes Game of Thrones.

Monjo was one of the writers on Farscape, which ran from 1998-2002, followed by the 2004 miniseries Farscape: The Peacekeeper Wars, co-produced by Jim Henson Productions and RHI Entertainment.

Maybe we should resurrect the Farscape thread so there's somewhere to talk about it.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Mar 13, 2014

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.
Oh, good, the franchise had died with some dignity, better change that.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I couldn't even start the 4th season of Farscape. It just got too "meh".

Rigel sells out the whole group almost every other episode? They just let it go with "Well, that's Rigel for you, ha ha ha."

The constant 3-parters made it just drag on too.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Oh my God, "Foothold" is such a lazy episode. Like, at one point one of the aliens has Carter on the floor ready to be killed and then he literally walks away. They don't even come up with a decent reason for it, he just gets called over the PA system and he turns away and leaves her there.

Even the showrunners must've felt embarrassed by this episode because the ending is all "oh no, the aliens escaped with all our knowledge they could come back and invade us again" and they are never mentioned again.

I did like how at the end the alien leader who gets trapped before he can gate out turns around and presses a big red button on his chest that starts flashing a big red light and making a beeping noise faster and faster, and everyone literally stares at him for 60 seconds before they realize that hey, that might be a bomb.

Fake edit: just realized that the aliens in this episode were the SG equivalent of Scooby-Doo villains.

counterpoint: that episode had Maybourne being cool, and was the episode to start Maybourne actually being a likable person, as opposed to the cartoon villain he was prior.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Floppychop posted:

Rigel sells out the whole group almost every other episode? They just let it go with "Well, that's Rigel for you, ha ha ha."

The fact that it was serialized made it drag? Also yeah Rigel does try to sell them out every now and then, but they still need him. He is able to get them things that they would not be able to get other ways. Also they have all done bad poo poo to their fellow shipmates. I mean they did cut off Pilots arm.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Apparently the script for the Atlantis movie is being made into a 4 part comic series.

http://www.gateworld.net/news/2014/03/boom-unfilmed-stargate-extinction-movie-script-may-be-a-comic-series/

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
OH MY GOD THREE PART EPISODES THAT SUCKS.

Seriously?

mcswizzle
Jul 26, 2009

Floppychop posted:

There are plenty of situations where sticking with an rear end in a top hat happens in the real world. Not least of which is that he helps keep them alive numerous times. Make yourself useful enough to be kept around. For the most part, pretty much every person manipulates the other's so that they are important enough to survive. Rygel is grating, and irritating, and probably the most easy to relate with of the bunch. Crichton is a human who can handle everything he dealt with just by going crazy a little bit (most people would shut down or go completely insane, if not kill themselves once they're lost to Earth). Aeryn revolts against everything she was raised to believe by a wink and a smile (she was so indoctrinated by the Peacekeepers that it shouldn't be so easy to let it go, even if they abandon you). D'argo was a young "general" in an alien army who was framed for murder by his brother in law, when there is all this tech that should easily be able to prove his innocence (what kind of farce of a trial wouldn't check for that kind of stuff?). Zhaan is a nymphomaniac priest.

I could go on.

On the other hand, Rygel is simple. Rygel is.....greedy. Conspicuously, reliably, greedy. And even then, he grows attached to the crew on a more emotional level and that comes to bear later in the series. He was certainly the easiest to understand his motivations. With the rest of the crew you never fully understand why they're there. Rygel was deposed so he has nowhere else to go, until he has a way to retake the throne of Hyneria. D'argo could go clear his name (before, or after he finds Jothee). Chianna can find her brother, or go with D'argo or whatever, etc etc etc.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

JetsGuy posted:

counterpoint: that episode had Maybourne being cool, and was the episode to start Maybourne actually being a likable person, as opposed to the cartoon villain he was prior.

Did he actually become cool after that?

I barely remember his story arch and also I hate his smug face. Is he the one that ends up becoming king of some medieval village?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

That's the guy. Maybourne is the best.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Luigi Thirty posted:

The Farscape thread died, so this is a good of a place as any to post it: Justin Monjo is writing a Farscape movie for HBO about John and Aeryn's babby, 20 years later. And Brian Henson's attached to direct! I don't know what to think of it, but eh, it's more Farscape.

http://if.com.au/2014/02/21/article/Monjo-pens-HBO-pilot-Farscape-movie/QNYSTLVCCT.html

Maybe we should resurrect the Farscape thread so there's somewhere to talk about it.

Wow, what incredibly good news.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?
I want my Atlantis movie, damnit :colbert:

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Maybourne was always cool. He was one of the good bad guys. Especially once he split with NID and just kinda showed up to annoy Jack.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Did he actually become cool after that?

I barely remember his story arch and also I hate his smug face. Is he the one that ends up becoming king of some medieval village?

...and helped the SGC quite a few times after that episode... especially when it came to Sen. Kinsey.

In the end, we all find out that Maybourne really just wanted what he thought was best for the planet, he wasn't I MUST RULE THE WORLD like the rest of the NID.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

JetsGuy posted:

...and helped the SGC quite a few times after that episode... especially when it came to Sen. Kinsey.

In the end, we all find out that Maybourne really just wanted what he thought was best for the planet, he wasn't I MUST RULE THE WORLD like the rest of the NID.

Gotta love that Dick Jones. Sorry Vice President Dick Jones.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Luigi Thirty posted:

Game of Thrones’ Peter Dinklage is in talks to star in the pilot for an HBO series scripted by Sydney-based Justin Monjo and produced by Ben Stiller’s Red Hour Films.

This has some interesting implications if you're a Game of Thrones fan.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:
I love Stargate's scientists.

"Found it!"

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Atlantis has more :airquote: deaths :airquote: than Voyager. "Weir" is back again in season 5, after a clone of carson showed up to help out.

Edit: well :stare:

alg fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Mar 20, 2014

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

alg posted:

Yeah the end of that episode was stone cold :stare:

You're talking about Weir coming back as a Replicant and they just gate them out into space to float for all eternity right?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
On a Farscape note, good though Stargate SG1 and Atlantis were, there's nothing quite as memorably surreal as "The only thing a Klingon understands is a show of force [runs away from half a dozen pulse rifle blasts]" or "Merry frelling Christmas".

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

This thread has made me start watching Farscape to see how it is. Why do I recognize the main character? I looked him up, and realize he was in SG1, but I just can't place who he was.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Sammus posted:

This thread has made me start watching Farscape to see how it is. Why do I recognize the main character? I looked him up, and realize he was in SG1, but I just can't place who he was.

The guy who replaced Jack as team leader. I don't remember his name.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Ben Browder, he was Cam Mitchell on Fargate:SG1 and John Crichton on Farscape.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Use two of those things...

It's a :airquote: blast door :airquote:.

(From SG-1 8x17 Reckoning)

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

kingturnip posted:

On a Farscape note, good though Stargate SG1 and Atlantis were, there's nothing quite as memorably surreal as "The only thing a Klingon understands is a show of force [runs away from half a dozen pulse rifle blasts]" or "Merry frelling Christmas".

IN THE MIDDLE OF MY BACKSWING?

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Holy poo poo Farscape is actually pretty good. The little guy pissing out explosives in that one episode was great. The make up and sets are interesting too.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Sammus posted:

Holy poo poo Farscape is actually pretty good. The little guy pissing out explosives in that one episode was great. The make up and sets are interesting too.

I don't know if I could feasibly watch Farscape again. It was enjoyable for its time...but now its fairly campy...

:ohdear:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

alg posted:

Atlantis has more :airquote: deaths :airquote: than Voyager. "Weir" is back again in season 5, after a clone of carson showed up to help out.

Yes, literally two examples is more than the repeated Lazarus of the Week awards on Voyager. :rolleyes:

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

WMain00 posted:

I don't know if I could feasibly watch Farscape again. It was enjoyable for its time...but now its fairly campy...

:ohdear:

It's actually better the second time around because you can appreciate what they are doing and pay more attention to the nuances of the characters, whilst also being able to skip the few really awful bits.
It also helps to have already acquired an ear for alien elements of the characters speech.

In terms of campy, yeah it is a bit, but that's a result of it being scifi on a shoestring made with a mandate to be experimental and adventurous. Some stuff works, some doesn't, but there's a sincerity to the attempts that makes the failings noble ones.
It is still easier to take seriously than B5 with that dreadful cheesiness that has aged terribly, and there's absolutely nothing in there that sinks to the level of early SG1 episodes.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Mar 22, 2014

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Yes, literally two examples is more than the repeated Lazarus of the Week awards on Voyager. :rolleyes:

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Yeah! Let's make babies!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

It's actually better the second time around because you can appreciate what they are doing and pay more attention to the nuances of the characters, whilst also being able to skip the few really awful bits.

I watched the pilot of Farscape and stopped watching, thus skipping all the really awful bits apart from the pilot.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot

Jedit posted:

I watched the pilot of Farscape and stopped watching, thus skipping all the really awful bits apart from the pilot.

I thought Farscape was really fun, especially after the first half of season 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Jedit posted:

I watched Emancipation, and stopped watching all Stargate, thus skipping all the really awful bits apart from Emancipation.

Sounds pretty dumb, doesn't it?