Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

eriktown posted:

Watching this episode, I wish Sif was played by Claudia Black. She's so much more convincing as a badass.

I'd agree with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Irish Joe posted:

May jumps to the conclusion Lorlei only controls men a little too quickly

Wait, how so? Sif explicitly says that Lorelai 'bends the wills of men to her own purpose', and May just asks for her to clarify.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

BreakAtmo posted:

Wait, how so? Sif explicitly says that Lorelai 'bends the wills of men to her own purpose', and May just asks for her to clarify.

The use of the word "men" in that sentence is gender non-specific. May had no contextual reason to assume it was gender specific, so jumping to that conclusion, even in a questioning way, was odd.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Split hairs much.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Irish Joe posted:

Nobody knows who that is.

You're missing out; watch Farscape.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Available for only $90 per three episode volume what a steal!

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
I too can easily see Loki wanting Lorelei back in jail simply because he is a dude and doesn't want anybody free who can overpower him. I really don't see him being stupid enough to try to use her as a resource.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The Red Queen posted:

I too can easily see Loki wanting Lorelei back in jail simply because he is a dude and doesn't want anybody free who can overpower him. I really don't see him being stupid enough to try to use her as a resource.

He's also a sorcerer so he's probably got defences against her abilities.

Edit: not that she's likely to appear again in the show or the movies so I don't suppose it matters. If the movies want to go in that direction they'd actually use the Enchantress and not the Enchantress-lite that AoS were allowed to use.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Mar 13, 2014

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

The Red Queen posted:

I guess it depends if her power works through his illusions. If not, that's one way for him to safely interact with her.

Sardikar
Sep 27, 2004
I cant think of anything to put here.

McSpanky posted:

SHOOOOOOOOOOOOOT HEEERRRRRRR!!!
_____/

-me irl

Thankyou so much this post made all the bullshit in this episode worth it.

parque bynch
Mar 12, 2004

R.I.P. Side-Scrolling Link: we hardly knew ye...

Irish Joe posted:

The use of the word "men" in that sentence is gender non-specific. May had no contextual reason to assume it was gender specific, so jumping to that conclusion, even in a questioning way, was odd.

I admit to having the same thought at the time. As viewers, we knew that's where it was going from the trailers, but in-show it's a bit of a leap. Unless May is familiar with the German myth: Lorelei committed suicide by throwing herself into the Rhine, where she was transformed into a Siren and lured fishermen to their death with her voice.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
I just had to wave away Ward getting caught as "he was too busy trying to fight her voice influence" but it really IS stupid that they sent men in that close instead of just (at the very least) forming a perimeter and shooting on sight.

The biker guy strangling his wife was pretty drat dark. A lot of people get killed in this show but that was a little more intense than usual.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

parque bynch posted:

I admit to having the same thought at the time. As viewers, we knew that's where it was going from the trailers, but in-show it's a bit of a leap.

Well, the episode soon reveals that the women on the plane appear to have some hosed-up ideas about men, uniformly getting onboard the "men are categorically more weak-willed about sex" bullshit, so there's a certain logic to May jumping to that conclusion. But, yeah, at the time I thought it was a bit odd.

Qonas
Apr 21, 2010

Sir Kodiak posted:

Well, the episode soon reveals that the women on the plane appear to have some hosed-up ideas about men, uniformly getting onboard the "men are categorically more weak-willed about sex" bullshit.

Yes but that's the norm in pop culture now, it's played up for laughs. And we're not allowed to question it because then we're just neck-bearded fedora-wearing men's righters.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Qonas posted:

Yes but that's the norm in pop culture now, it's played up for laughs. And we're not allowed to question it because then we're just neck-bearded fedora-wearing men's righters.

It's not even primarily a men's rights issue. It's a complete lack of acknowledgement that the apparently greater "willpower" of women when it comes to sex results from the threat of violence and social scorn unequally placed on them for promiscuity. It isn't a sign of a stronger will to avoid particular behavior if your motivation is a gun to your head. A plane full of kick-rear end women and none of them were given the line, "What are you talking about? I like sex as much as any guy."

Kaizer88
Feb 16, 2011

Qonas posted:

To go deeper into that rabbit hole ; Imagine if the genders were reversed, and it was some bro-dude asgardian who mind controlled May, had sex with her and then set her on Ward. Ward then punches her one last time when the mind control effect wears off, then breaks up with her for sleeping around on him.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Kaizer88 posted:

Ward then punches her one last time when the mind control effect wears off, then breaks up with her for sleeping around on him.

May broke up with Ward because Lorelei revealed that Ward was more interested in Skye than in her.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
Maybe Ward meant Simmons.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Maybe Ward meant Fitz. Fartz forever.

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005

eriktown posted:

Watching this episode, I wish Sif was played by Claudia Black. She's so much more convincing as a badass.

Ya, it's totally crazy that they have a woman who was a wrestler in high school, shoots skeet and collects knives trying to play a bad-rear end.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Really enjoyed this episode, barring Ward being dumb for not shooting Lorelei on sight. I did find it neat that Lorelei called back to the Berserker Staff when she said why she kept him around, though. The fight scene at the end was awesome, and I like how the combat in Agents of SHIELD is very brutal and dirty as compared to the movies where the fighting is more super hero-y, for lack of a better term.

devoir
Nov 16, 2007

greatn posted:

Maybe Ward meant Fitz. Fartz forever.

Wartz?

PunkBoy posted:

The fight scene at the end was awesome, and I like how the combat in Agents of SHIELD is very brutal and dirty as compared to the movies where the fighting is more super hero-y, for lack of a better term.

I really would like it if they stopped speeding up the footage to try and cover up the slow fight choreography.

devoir fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Mar 13, 2014

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
The worst part of this episode was that it brought us back to the stupid Ward/Skye romance. Also gently caress Skye becoming superhuman. May being a traitor to the group was an interesting twist, it would have been made better if they hadn't just broken off the only other tie she has to the group than Coulson.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

PaybackJack posted:

it would have been made better if they hadn't just broken off the only other tie she has to the group than Coulson.

It would have been made much better if they foreshadowed it at all in previous episodes.

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

PunkBoy posted:

Really enjoyed this episode, barring Ward being dumb for not shooting Lorelei on sight. I did find it neat that Lorelei called back to the Berserker Staff when she said why she kept him around, though. The fight scene at the end was awesome, and I like how the combat in Agents of SHIELD is very brutal and dirty as compared to the movies where the fighting is more super hero-y, for lack of a better term.

If you really want to see some good fight scenes, you should honestly try to watch The Raid: Redemption. I'm pretty sure that youtube will even just show the fight scenes if that is all you want to see of it.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Grinning Goblin posted:

If you really want to see some good fight scenes, you should honestly try to watch The Raid: Redemption. I'm pretty sure that youtube will even just show the fight scenes if that is all you want to see of it.

Oh yeah, I love The Raid. AoS is obviously not on the same level, but some of the stuff Ward and May do give that sort of vibe.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Sir Kodiak posted:

May broke up with Ward because Lorelei revealed that Ward was more interested in Skye than in her.

Wait, what, seriously? That's what that scene was about!?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

First Bass posted:

Wait, what, seriously? That's what that scene was about!?

Lorelei didn't mention Skye by name, but, yes, she said that Ward is more interested in someone else on the team than he is in May, and who else would it be?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Sir Kodiak posted:

Lorelei didn't mention Skye by name, but, yes, she said that Ward is more interested in someone else on the team than he is in May, and who else would it be?

Fitz.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure Lorelei refers to the other romantic interest using a feminine pronoun.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Sir Kodiak posted:

May told Coulson she was going to stop sleeping with Ward like four episodes ago.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Javid posted:

May told Coulson she was going to stop sleeping with Ward like four episodes ago.

Yeah "broke up with" was wrong anyways because it's not like they were ever really in a formal relationship. The point is, she got upset because of Ward's deception/self-deception, not because he had sex with Lorelei.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Sir Kodiak posted:

Coulson of course. Wardson, think awesome that would be

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Cat Terrist posted:

Son of Coul, not Daughter of Coul

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Cat Terrist posted:

Man, you know Coulson would just spend the entire time pretending that Ward was Captain America.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I think the funniest thing about the episode to me in retrospect is that they're not mentioning the fact that Ward had sex with an alien sorceress. I know it's SHIELD and all so they're a bit jaded when it comes to that whole 'other worlds' thing, but the dude still slept with an honest-to-goodness alien who has magic powers. Like, I would have a shirt printed that says that, but only if I had enough money left after my international TV ad/billboard campaign announcing that fact to the world. But it's a TV show so instead it's treated like any other one night stand.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Technically he was even raped by an alien sorceress, as consent was impossible.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
no but its okay because shes a woman and hes a dude and their both hot right!? :downs:

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It's funny watching AoS on Hulu because Fury shows up every commercial break to shill for the Discover Card, but AoS can't afford him. Just buy the green screen footage from the credit card guys and pop him in the background somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Sir Kodiak posted:

Man, you know Coulson would just spend the entire time pretending that Ward was Captain America.

So speaking of that, now that Coulson Son of Coul isn't dead how pissed is he that Fury got blood all over his vintage set of Captain America trading cards?

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Mar 14, 2014

• Locked thread