Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

weekly font posted:

I can't even get back on Steam.

Go offline then online. It wouldn't let me login without doing that for some dumb reason.

!drop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwiftef
Jun 30, 2002

SWIFT IS FAT, LOL

Coleman posted:

Yeah I'd love to see some of these demos where you guys are just stomping all over MGEs with these Umps and P90s. I mean you seem to be under the impression that M4s and AKs are incapable of spraying. If a decent player has an AK or an M4, and somehow you manage to actually get up close to him, he's going to spray you down, and the sheer power of the rifles over any SMG is still going to win.

Unless of course your description of "most people that aren't hacking" is anyone that can't kill you when you have an Ump or P90.

Sure, I think there was a game last night where we did a partial buy and (after a nade stack) he killed four people with an UMP outside on Nuke. I'll see if I can record a video of it tonight.

Frankly, I think you guys have never bought SMGs because you've heard they were bad and don't actually have any clue how they work in game. If you're at the high end of the skill ladder then don't buy SMGs, the guys on the other team can probably shoot well enough with rifles that they can kill you and the surprise you get from playing in an unexpected way won't make up for it. For 99% of goons the UMP is a fine purchase (depending on position) because you're not playing against NiP.

E:
Don't most of you guys mostly play for fun matches against newbies on the goon server anyway? Try it out there, you'll be outshooting the newbies easily.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
my update is downloading and will take ages this better be a good update

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

astr0man posted:

The difference in movement speed between the UMP and an M4 is negligible (it's the exact same difference as movement speed with a knife vs a grenade).

Why are you running with a grenade out, astr0man?

!drop

Edit:

old dog child posted:

avoid giving the CT a free AK if they save for the third

CT's will always save 3rd round after a pistol loss. This is why P250+armor is viable as CT but not as T (T's can buy 3rd round after 2 losses and one plant if they didn't buy armor in round 2). CT can buy P250+armor on round 2 and still buy on round 4. Either way, they will never normally buy on round 3.

Pomp and Circumcized fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Mar 13, 2014

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Zwiftef posted:

Frankly, I think you guys have never bought SMGs because you've heard they were bad and don't actually have any clue how they work in game.

Frankly, I think you have never played counter-strike against anyone who has played more than 30 minutes worth of the game in his or her entire lifetime.

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

Why are you running with a grenade out, astr0man?

Oh no you caught me, I am secretly a CornetTheory parachute account

astr0man fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Mar 13, 2014

Coleman
May 5, 2011

This just in: Beverly Hills 90210, Cleveland Browns 3.

Zwiftef posted:

Sure, I think there was a game last night where we did a partial buy and (after a nade stack) he killed four people with an UMP outside on Nuke. I'll see if I can record a video of it tonight.

Frankly, I think you guys have never bought SMGs because you've heard they were bad and don't actually have any clue how they work in game. If you're at the high end of the skill ladder then don't buy SMGs, the guys on the other team can probably shoot well enough with rifles that they can kill you and the surprise you get from playing in an unexpected way won't make up for it. For 99% of goons the UMP is a fine purchase (depending on position) because you're not playing against NiP.

E:
Don't most of you guys mostly play for fun matches against newbies on the goon server anyway? Try it out there, you'll be outshooting the newbies easily.
Okay so... troll confirmed then?

Several of the people responding to you have played CS for 10+ years. Most of them have been playing CS:GO since launch. I personally play a lot of Deathmatch, Gungame and everywhere in between. Before the advent of the second round armor buy, I personally spent about a month trying to figure out which was the best SMG for me to use second round. There are plenty of beginners in Goonmans, and there are plenty of players in Goonmans (judging by your advocacy of SMGs) considerably better than you are. I understand if you can't or haven't spent the time learning how to use an M4 or an AK without just holding down the trigger, and can't understand "why that guy just won't die down there!", but for anyone at even the single AK ranges, even the higher tier(s) of Nova, they are perfectly capable of understanding use of rifles. I don't know how you got the impression that only Professional CS players are capable of using rifles effectively, but they're not.

Yeah, there are plenty of beginners in Goonmans, and I would still venture to say 98% of them can still beat an Ump or P90 in the vast majority of situations.

And by all means, if you're so confident with the Ump and P90, jump into one of our "for fun" matches with "newbies" in Goonmans.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

Don't download the update if you can help it. It's the CS:GO beta. They didn't mean to push the "patch".

whoknew
Sep 18, 2004

oh shit
im lit

Welp

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Shadowlz posted:

Don't download the update if you can help it. It's the CS:GO beta. They didn't mean to push the "patch".

This is the most :valve: patch yet :lol:

Eyke
Oct 15, 2013

Man with a dream to have fun.
I'm not sure why this smg and when to smg is still being shot around. its pretty solid what to do.

Coleman
May 5, 2011

Shadowlz posted:

Okay so after discussing with Carl, he says it's not the "parallel" beta like they did with TF2 and CS:Source, but like, the original CS:GO beta?

If so... how does one gently caress up so badly with a patch? I mean really.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

astr0man posted:

Oh no you caught me, I am secretly a CornetTheory parachute account

I saw that edit.

I tried to relog on steam and now I can't connect at all. Not fun.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Coleman posted:

Okay so after discussing with Carl, he says it's not the "parallel" beta like they did with TF2 and CS:Source, but like, the original CS:GO beta?

Yeah, look at Whoknew's screenshot.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

Zwiftef posted:

E:

Come play with us.

Coleman
May 5, 2011

Shadowlz posted:

Yeah, look at Whoknew's screenshot.

Oh when I first saw the post it just said "Welp". That's hysterical.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Yo Valve, if I it set to "remember password" why are you making me type it every time???

!drop

something about CSGO

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

quote:

CS:GO Update March 13 2014:
- Revert CS:GO to the beta

quote:

CS:GO Update March 13 2014 (update 2)
- lol oops reverted "Revert CS:GO to the beta"

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

Eyke posted:

I'm not sure why this smg and when to smg is still being shot around. its pretty solid what to do.

Because if it 'works for them'* it should work for everybody.

*it doesn't.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Coleman posted:

"poo poo... I was in production wasn't I?" :gonk:

Zwiftef
Jun 30, 2002

SWIFT IS FAT, LOL

Coleman posted:

Okay so... troll confirmed then?

Several of the people responding to you have played CS for 10+ years. Most of them have been playing CS:GO since launch. I personally play a lot of Deathmatch, Gungame and everywhere in between. Before the advent of the second round armor buy, I personally spent about a month trying to figure out which was the best SMG for me to use second round. There are plenty of beginners in Goonmans, and there are plenty of players in Goonmans (judging by your advocacy of SMGs) considerably better than you are. I understand if you can't or haven't spent the time learning how to use an M4 or an AK without just holding down the trigger, and can't understand "why that guy just won't die down there!", but for anyone at even the single AK ranges, even the higher tier(s) of Nova, they are perfectly capable of understanding use of rifles. I don't know how you got the impression that only Professional CS players are capable of using rifles effectively, but they're not.

Yeah, there are plenty of beginners in Goonmans, and I would still venture to say 98% of them can still beat an Ump or P90 in the vast majority of situations.

And by all means, if you're so confident with the Ump and P90, jump into one of our "for fun" matches with "newbies" in Goonmans.

Sorry dude, I didn't mean to offend you by implying that you had fun playing on the goonman servers. I thought the goonman servers were literally for playing with newbies?

Look, I played back in 1.6 and I've recently gotten into CS:GO. I can shoot fine with rifles and most rounds I'll pick up a rifle. But the UMP and P90 have their places and most players at my level (which, again, hovers around AK with Laurels / Double AK) can shoot fine with them. However, most players down here don't have the reflexes to single tap a guy using an SMG aggressively and the SMG user will win close up engagements.

On the other hand, my little brother has really good reflexes and prefers the SMGs to the rifles because he comes from playing console shooters. IDK, he probably would be even better with rifles, but they don't really fit his run and gun playstyle as well.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Zwiftef posted:

I thought the goonman servers were literally for playing with newbies?

Nope.

Coleman
May 5, 2011

Zwiftef posted:

Sorry dude, I didn't mean to offend you by implying that you had fun playing on the goonman servers. I thought the goonman servers were literally for playing with newbies?

Look, I played back in 1.6 and I've recently gotten into CS:GO. I can shoot fine with rifles and most rounds I'll pick up a rifle. But the UMP and P90 have their places and most players at my level (which, again, hovers around AK with Laurels / Double AK) can shoot fine with them. However, most players down here don't have the reflexes to single tap a guy using an SMG aggressively and the SMG user will win close up engagements.

On the other hand, my little brother has really good reflexes and prefers the SMGs to the rifles because he comes from playing console shooters. IDK, he probably would be even better with rifles, but they don't really fit his run and gun playstyle as well.
You didn't offend me, we have plenty of fun in Goonmans, but the phrase "for fun" implies that no one is trying or gives a poo poo, because we do. Most of us use it as a learning experience, practice, warmup, training. I'm pretty average in comparison to most of the Goons that play there, and I've been playing CS a long rear end time, I still learn something every time I play. And those beginners that DO play on the server? They understand that a better learning experience is from people better than they are that can give them tips and pointers. And I still venture to bet that a lot of those "newbies" would beat an SMG a not insignificant portion of the time. Seriously though, if you consider SMGs as viable buy round weapons against quality opponents, then come try it in Goonmans.

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man
Cole you are just being trolled or the guy is serious and just vastly misrepresenting his experience.

Coleman
May 5, 2011

Obstacle2 posted:

Cole you are just being trolled or the guy is serious and just vastly misrepresenting his experience.
Oh I really hope I'm being trolled. Because I can't believe someone thinks you have to be "pro tier" to choose rifles over SMGs.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Coleman posted:

Oh I really hope I'm being trolled. Because I can't believe someone thinks you have to be "pro tier" to choose rifles over SMGs.

Look man, he played back in 1.6.

Rosh
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's Wrong,
Something's Right
Rifles don't unlock in CoD:GO until you get Global Elite and then Prestige a few times.

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The UMP is like the worst of the smg's because at range it takes an entire magazine to get a headshot and at close range you're gonna get killed by like any other weapon.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

The only things you need in CS:GO is a P250 and a steady hand. Maybe good vibes too.

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man
I usually decide what to buy based on the stats in the buy menu.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

ColoradoCleric posted:

The UMP is like the worst of the smg's because at range it takes an entire magazine to get a headshot and at close range you're gonna get killed by like any other weapon.

Whoa there let's not just go and slander now!

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax
Anyone watching coL vs. LGB?

It was like watching a loving bunch of silvers playing. Twice coL pushes into long A with the bomb first, drop bomb and then LGB just sits on the bomb and they win the game. laffo.

Zwiftef
Jun 30, 2002

SWIFT IS FAT, LOL

Coleman posted:

Look, either I've been explaining it poorly or your reading comprehension is atrocious. My entire point is that in some positions the SMG is an entirely viable buy at lower tiers of gameplay because most people are not able to one click aggressive players with rifles. This isn't a controversial idea, and for the majority of goons that read this thread I expect they find that the SMGs are just fine weapons. A lot of people are just repeating the accepted wisdom with having obviously never even used an SMG (such as the guy thinking it takes an entire UMP clip to kill someone at range. If you need that many bullets to get a kill with an UMP the problem is with your aiming, not the gun.)

Shadowlz posted:

Look man, he played back in 1.6.

Sorry dude, I didn't start the experience dickwaving and I believe I've been very clear with the level of experience I play at. I just wanted to clarify that I know how to use rifles just fine since apparently the idea that someone could use the SMGs in matchmaking is a foreign concept.

Powerful Wizard IRL
Aug 8, 2007

-_- CS Depression? -_-
Ask your admin if BanMe® is right for you!
^o^

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_gj3c2HN28

I see my boys beat NaVi and coL and Dignitas beat Reason and iBP :allears:

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

The problem with what you are saying is that you are encouraging bad players to continue using bad habits, rather than learning how to buy properly and how to handle rifles in CSGO, which are required if you want to actually be a decent/good player. I could probably top frag with just a P250+armor against really bad players, but that doesn't mean it is a good strategy.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
You're explaining yourself just fine, zwift. You're just a moron. Stop posting. :h:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Zwiftef posted:

My entire point is that in some positions the SMG is an entirely viable buy at lower tiers of gameplay because most people are not able to one click aggressive players with rifles. This isn't a controversial idea, and for the majority of goons that read this thread I expect they find that the SMGs are just fine weapons. A lot of people are just repeating the accepted wisdom with having obviously never even used an SMG (such as the guy thinking it takes an entire UMP clip to kill someone at range. If you need that many bullets to get a kill with an UMP the problem is with your aiming, not the gun.)

Nope.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Zwiftef posted:

Look, either I've been explaining it poorly or your reading comprehension is atrocious. My entire point is that in some positions the SMG is an entirely viable buy at lower tiers of gameplay because most people are not able to one click aggressive players with rifles. This isn't a controversial idea, and for the majority of goons that read this thread I expect they find that the SMGs are just fine weapons. A lot of people are just repeating the accepted wisdom with having obviously never even used an SMG (such as the guy thinking it takes an entire UMP clip to kill someone at range. If you need that many bullets to get a kill with an UMP the problem is with your aiming, not the gun.)

Sorry dude, I didn't start the experience dickwaving and I believe I've been very clear with the level of experience I play at. I just wanted to clarify that I know how to use rifles just fine since apparently the idea that someone could use the SMGs in matchmaking is a foreign concept.

Just come in and play goonman. The solution here is so simple.

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Zwiftef posted:

You're literally trying to pass off universally known bad advice with "sometimes its ok to like a thing".

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Zwiftef posted:

at lower tiers of gameplay because most people are not able to one click aggressive players with rifles

I dunno, I'm at 50% HS consistently. I don't know about the other newbie goons.

Also, maybe if you stopped buying bad guns at bad times you wouldn't be playing at the 'lower tiers'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

DeusExMachinima posted:

Just come in and play goonman. The solution here is so simple.

Agreed.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3576152

teagone fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Mar 14, 2014

• Locked thread