Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I installed a headunit after years of not having one. It's real nice but two speakers promptly shat on themselves after installation. :eng99:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Panty Saluter posted:

I installed a headunit after years of not having one. It's real nice but two speakers promptly shat on themselves after installation. :eng99:

This has happened to me with 4 different cars.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Rhyno posted:

This has happened to me with 4 different cars.

Nice to know I'm not the only one. :v:

Of course the speakers are what, 13-ish years old at this point? They were nice in their day (and would be if they still worked) but more than a decade in the absurdly harsh environment of a motor vehicle isn't bad. Never mind the fact that this one has had water ingress issues to boot and I'm sure that has contributed. I re-soldered the lead to the voice coil on one but thanks to my bunk soldering skills and the level of oxidation on the wires it snapped minutes into a decently loud run. Shortly after that I noticed the sound seemed awfully lopsided and indeed, the other woofer (in the passenger rear) had given up the ghost as well.

I was really hoping to throw in a headunit and call it good but I guess it'll be at least a pair of front speakers. At some point.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Panty Saluter posted:

Nice to know I'm not the only one. :v:

Of course the speakers are what, 13-ish years old at this point? They were nice in their day (and would be if they still worked) but more than a decade in the absurdly harsh environment of a motor vehicle isn't bad. Never mind the fact that this one has had water ingress issues to boot and I'm sure that has contributed. I re-soldered the lead to the voice coil on one but thanks to my bunk soldering skills and the level of oxidation on the wires it snapped minutes into a decently loud run. Shortly after that I noticed the sound seemed awfully lopsided and indeed, the other woofer (in the passenger rear) had given up the ghost as well.

I was really hoping to throw in a headunit and call it good but I guess it'll be at least a pair of front speakers. At some point.

With my Cherokee we put in a new HU and the front speakers died. Later that HU died and we put in a new one and the rears died. Happened on my Celica but those were 30 years old. Happened with the SHO and the EXP but I never bother to replace them.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Fushin posted:

And before anybody hates on the tires and wheel choice too I can explain why I chose them. I used to have 18" wheels with low profile tires. They looked nice, but were completely non functional driving to and in DC every day. Between potholes and curbs it was only a matter of time before I lost one. I chose the 16" wheels so I'd have sidewalls and more tread to play with.

I actually like them. :downs: Though it'd look better dropped a bit.

There's a (decent looking!) OEM 16" 5 spoke two tone wheel available for the Cobalt/Ion/G5 (06+) - I have them on my Ion. That said, they get damaged incredibly easily - I've never curbed them and they're still beat up just from mounting/balancing :saddowns: - identical damage on all 4 wheels after I got a set of used tires, and of course the shop said "not responsible!". They're the same wheel no matter if it's Cobalt/ion/g5, you just get a different center cap depending on make.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Mar 10, 2014

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
On my 87 mazda truck I drained and replaced the rear diff oil, sanded and painted the rusty windshield wipers, started scrubbing the caked on dirt from god knows how many owners ago out of the bed with a wire brush, sighed when I remembered I still had to chip out the remainder of some melted garbage bags from a previous owner from the bed before I can finish, and took a full bed of poo poo to the recycle dropoff.

So nothing amazing but a pretty relaxing way to blow a sunday.

:frogbon:

Fushin
Dec 16, 2005

Grimey Drawer

some texas redneck posted:

There's a (decent looking!) OEM 16" 5 spoke two tone wheel available for the Cobalt/Ion/G5 (06+) - I have them on my Ion. That said, they get damaged incredibly easily - I've never curbed them and they're still beat up just from mounting/balancing :saddowns: - identical damage on all 4 wheels after I got a set of used tires, and of course the shop said "not responsible!". They're the same wheel no matter if it's Cobalt/ion/g5, you just get a different center cap depending on make.

I've thought about getting the FE5 suspension for a mild drop, but the potholes kill that idea every day I drive over them.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Started really tearing into the front suspension on my TJ to get this 4" lift installed. Removed both springs, the sway bar, and the track bar and drilled/tapped holes in the spring perches and track bar mount. Swapped one upper control arm and got stuck on a rusted bolt in the driver's side lower arm.

It's going to be worth it when it's finished, but this lift is a pain in the rear end right now.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

100% Dundee posted:

Had to replace 5 bulbs in my car today to pass safety inspection. Four of which I'm pretty sure have never actually worked and I wasn't even aware existed, who knows how I passed inspection with them previously. Two in my headlights and two in my taillights, pretty sure they are called signalling lamps and their only function seemed to be to slightly illuminate the far corners of my headlight/taillight housings.

In order to do reach said bulbs I had to disassemble half of my front fender liners and like half of the trunk, how in the world do you guys remove those little black plastic push rivets without completely destroying them? If I so much as touched them with a screwdriver they simply shattered into a million tiny pieces.
I was helping someone out with their 2002 Acura (replace a bulb as well) and they survived the screwdriver treatment v:shobon:v. Just popped the middle part up and pulled them out.

We completely blew it on replacing the bulb though :ughh:. We were going off a YouTube video (:downs:) where the guy explained stuff but didn't actually show the pertinent steps. After being perplexed for a while and presumably broke something I looked up diagrams which showed how we hosed up. I think by the time we gave up the bulb and other little bits got in the right spot but I think the new bulb was already messed up by that point.

I finally got some aftermarket wheels (posted last page) but I'm terrified about any service requiring messing with them because of stories like that :cry:

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
I washed off 3 months worth of winter grime and took a few pictures.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

There's a (decent looking!) OEM 16" 5 spoke two tone wheel available for the Cobalt/Ion/G5 (06+)

5x110. Gee. Wonder who GM got that from. :rolleye:

I didn't do anything to anything - yet. I did get a roll of felt weatherstrip to stick in and around virtually everything that has to do with the dash.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
De iced the Miata. Not the exterior.

Serious amount of ice. There was 3 inches of water sitting where the seat was by the time I pulled the carpet (which was a loving bitch). Had to get in there anyways for the seatbelt but this was not what I expected.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Fushin posted:

I've thought about getting the FE5 suspension for a mild drop, but the potholes kill that idea every day I drive over them.

I managed to make the bottom of the car meet the road today. Forgot about a dip (there's a warning sign going north, but I was going south, and spaced out). Oil pan has a decent gouge in it now, but it's not leaking. Yet. :ohdear: I already scrape a little crawling through that dip at a walking pace, and I nailed it doing about 25. :downsgun:

I believe I have the FE1 suspension. Once I get out of doing delivery I'd love to drop it a bit and get rid of the 4x4 look. I'm not sure if Cobalt suspension is 100% interchangeable with the Ion (it's the same chassis, but...), but swapping to FE5 parts looks like it brings some nice upgrades. It's a surprisingly nimble car even bone stock.

japtor posted:

I finally got some aftermarket wheels (posted last page) but I'm terrified about any service requiring messing with them because of stories like that :cry:

The aftermarket wheels I've owned were a bit more durable in that regard - these appear to have a thick clear coat over bare aluminum on the face.

At this point, I'm pretty sure I can just get them refinished. They're not pitted or gouged, it just looks like some kind of rubber bit ate through the top layer of clear (about an inch tall spot on every spoke), and the rubber is still covering it. I don't know enough about paint/metal to say for sure though.

West SAAB Story posted:

5x110. Gee. Wonder who GM got that from. :rolleye:

Try 4x100. :rolleye:

e: oh, japtor's car. Huh, didn't notice that before, I thought the 5 lug was only on the supercharged/turbocharged variant. That also throws my wheels out the window, they're only available in a 4x100.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Mar 11, 2014

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

Rhyno posted:

De iced the Miata. Not the exterior.

Serious amount of ice. There was 3 inches of water sitting where the seat was by the time I pulled the carpet (which was a loving bitch). Had to get in there anyways for the seatbelt but this was not what I expected.

Sometimes I hate living in South Texas. Then I see poo poo like this.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
Put another headlight in the girlfriends Legacy. Having to pull a wheel and peel back the fender liner is bad enough without the lovely winter crustiness tumbling down into every hole in my head. Not to mention the upside down contortionist fuckfest to get the new bulb in. Makes me love my GTPs 30 second bulb swaps so much more.

I can't wait till all this cruddy old snow finally melts and the weather gets a little warmer so I can give the poor things a proper detailing. I feel so bad letting them get so lovely but its just pointless with all the nastiness still hanging around from this horrible winter.

Fushin
Dec 16, 2005

Grimey Drawer

I managed to make the bottom of the car meet the road today. Forgot about a dip (there's a warning sign going north, but I was going south, and spaced out). Oil pan has a decent gouge in it now, but it's not leaking. Yet. :ohdear: I already scrape a little crawling through that dip at a walking pace, and I nailed it doing about 25. :downsgun:

I believe I have the FE1 suspension. Once I get out of doing delivery I'd love to drop it a bit and get rid of the 4x4 look. I'm not sure if Cobalt suspension is 100% interchangeable with the Ion (it's the same chassis, but...), but swapping to FE5 parts looks like it brings some nice upgrades. It's a surprisingly nimble car even bone stock.

The aftermarket wheels I've owned were a bit more durable in that regard - these appear to have a thick clear coat over bare aluminum on the face.

At this point, I'm pretty sure I can just get them refinished. They're not pitted or gouged, it just looks like some kind of rubber bit ate through the top layer of clear (about an inch tall spot on every spoke), and the rubber is still covering it. I don't know enough about paint/metal to say for sure though.

Try 4x100. :rolleye:

e: oh, japtor's car. Huh, didn't notice that before, I thought the 5 lug was only on the supercharged/turbocharged variant. That also throws my wheels out the window, they're only available in a 4x100.

Here is a rock I ran over with my passenger side front tire over the summer. Some rear end in a top hat kids lined up these rocks along a two lane road on purpose and where I live there's just some streets you don't stop on so I just swerved the best I could. If you see the oil on the rock that's from the car that hit the rock after me, they weren't so lucky in swerving and got the rock in their oil pan. Once I hit the rock I bounced pretty high and drove away until I was by a shopping center with some lights. Ended up having a bent control arm, luckily enough I was by a friends shop and was able to leave it there so I didn't have to drive it home with three wheels. The rock in this picture is sitting on my old formerly chrome 18" wheels. It weighs about 70 pounds. I went back the day after I hit it just so I could keep it as a trophy. This is why I haven't gone FE5 yet, I just know that if I was lower by an inch I'd have had more than a new control arm to worry about.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

:stonk:

I live in suburbia, so that's not... much of a thing here, thankfully. 2 lane roads or giant rocks left by shitheads aren't much of a thing for me.

I still haven't been under the car enough to see anything other than the damage to the oil pan, but I haven't found any puddles under it (yet). I'm off work today, I'll try and get under it to see what's damaged. With how hard I landed/bounced, there's no way I escaped without some kind of damage. :sigh:

I did notice a lot more vibration yesterday, but I'm not sure if that's placebo or a destroyed engine mount. Probably a bit of both; the rear view mirror is trying to violently detach itself from the windshield at lower RPMs, and I'm pretty drat sure that wasn't an issue before.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Man, that rock would wreck my car. I cant even drive over snow chunks 1/3 that size.

Cage fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Mar 12, 2014

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Cage posted:

Man, that rock would wreck my car. I cant even drive over snow chunks 1/3 that size.
One of my cars I don't think I could even hit it with the bottom of my differential. :q: Edit: Well ... Maybe. How big is that wheel?

The other it would go through the bumper and radiator and probably stop when the engine block hit it.

Chriskory
Aug 18, 2004

Back when I was actively driving I drove Akina even in my dreams
I replaced the 90's Kenwood head unit in my 1991 Civic with a new Kenwood with USB iPod thing. Surprisingly the cage and plug were identical, so that was easy.

Then I wondered why I didn't have very good sound, so I checked out the speakers.

I have no idea what this person was thinking. I replaced these with two 6 1/2 Sony something speakers and could not be happier.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

kastein posted:

So just in case you don't have bad enough fuel economy with the batch fire injectors,

Most EFI systems (even now) are in batch/bank fire above a certain engine speed anyway due to injector sizing and the fact that the intake valve is open such a small amount of time with regards to the total time the injector needs to be on to meter enough fuel. True sequential injection is worthwhile only at low engine speeds anyway. It does make a difference (Megasquirt adding sequential injection in the newer hardware has seemed to come up with some efficiency gains), but calling it dumb is hardly fair. Its not at all like TBI, which runs on 1/3 the injection pressures and hence has awful fuel atomization and all of the puddling problems and need for heated intake manifolds that carbs have.

Fushin
Dec 16, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Cage posted:

I got absolutely lucky. If I was going a little bit faster or slightly more to the right or the left I probably wouldn't be driving the car now.

Propaganda Bob
Aug 26, 2006

Not one step backwards!
Put a new fuel pump on my Fox body and installed a fuel filter. Still trying to get the hang of tuning carburetors, though. If you mash the throttle from idle or low rpm the engine hesitates like it's getting flooded with fuel, but if I tune it down a little it starts popping like it's leaning out.

Anyone with carburetor experience want to give me some tips?

edit- it's a Holley four barrel with mechanical secondaries

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Propaganda Bob posted:

Put a new fuel pump on my Fox body and installed a fuel filter. Still trying to get the hang of tuning carburetors, though. If you mash the throttle from idle or low rpm the engine hesitates like it's getting flooded with fuel, but if I tune it down a little it starts popping like it's leaning out.

Accelerator pump might need adjusting or replacing.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

DJ Commie posted:

Its not at all like TBI, which runs on 1/3 the injection pressures and hence has awful fuel atomization and all of the puddling problems and need for heated intake manifolds that carbs have.

I still poo poo all over Chevy CPI.

For those who don't know, CPI uses a single big injector mounted inside the manifold. Instead of spraying directly through a nozzle, though, when it opens it sends fuel into 6 little fuel lines, leading to the manifold runners, with a spring-loaded poppet valve at the end. When the pressure in each line builds up enough, it pushes the poppet valve open and sprays into the port. The early ones are batch fire, which is bad enough, but later iterations implemented sequential injection, so now you've got six ports on the central injector that have to open at the right time and far enough to get sufficient flow through the delivery lines.

Oh, and you can't buy individual parts of the system, you can only get the complete assembly, injector, lines and all; they call it a "spider". If the central injector shorts out or develops an internal leak, replace the spider. If any of the fuel lines leak, replace the spider. If one of the poppets seizes, replace the spider. If one of those little internal nozzles has even a partial failure (so the line pressure doesn't build up enough), replace the spider.

At a minimum of $200 for the assembly. And it's mounted under the upper plenum, which is always fun. It'd be fine if they had the reliability of even a company like Nissan but, y'know, 90s GM. SO loving stupid.

ANYWAY, after that wall o' text, some thread content: got the engine bolted back in the Protege today! Well, mostly. The captive nut that one of the motor mount through bolts threads into vanished from the mount at some point, so I'll have to either dig around or source a replacement. Shouldn't be a problem. Tomorrow I reconnect the harness, re-install the radiator and intercooler, fill the cooling system and hopefully fire it by the end of the day.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Why am I not surprised that Chevy looked at the Bosch CIS fuel distributor and was like "gently caress yeah we want some of that poo poo?"

On the plus side, it did mean that I got to see an Audi 5000 shoot virtually liquid gas out the tailpipe. There's a screw to adjust the baseline fuel pressure, so as your fuel pump dies, you can turn that up a little bit to compensate. Then once your fuel pump is completely toast, you sell the car and the next owner picks it up and puts a nice fresh fuel pump in it...

I bet the Chevy version of that rolling Superfund site is even more impressive. No wonder Megasquirt was designed to replace Chevy stuff first.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Mar 13, 2014

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

It's a loving trip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vox1vBYgzB4&t=169s

And I just noticed it uses the same cheap-rear end poo poo-plastic injector connector the TBI unit on my Blazer uses, that's loving incredible.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Propaganda Bob posted:

Air Fuel Ratio gauge. Worth the couple hundred it will cost you now vs the new engine later.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I got the front half of my 4" lift done on my TJ, home alignment and all. Recentering the front axle is kind of a bitch. But adjustable control arms means that the drat thing actually has a caster angle of more than one or two degrees :v:

SpaceRangerJoe
Dec 24, 2003

The little hand says it's time to rock and roll.
Got my new front sway bar in the mail. Won't be able to install it until next weekend though.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Got a Miata earlier this week, however it came with terrible stripes. I bought the 3M Adhesive Eraser Wheel and went to town on some those puppies.

I didn't take any before shots, but here's an after:

It took maybe 45 minutes to an hour with a drill, the wheel, and a cloth to wipe away the dust. Wiped it up with some goo-gone, a wet cloth, and a bit of soap. Didn't damage the paint, though it clearly needs a wax job now.

Here's some bonus shots:

The offending stripe on the other side

The fantastic install work above the windshield.

Photo of the wax job it needs.

Full size shots here.

3M seems to live up to their word, no damage to the paint. I even hit the windshield with it on accident and not a scratch.

BigHouseOfBooty
Nov 13, 2012
Decals and stripes are so tacky. Nearly every fiat 500 abarth has a big dumb abarth logo on the side, looks cheesy.

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

BigHouseOfBooty posted:

Decals and stripes are so tacky. Nearly every fiat 500 abarth has a big dumb abarth logo on the side, looks cheesy.

Yeah, but that's factory installed.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
I had to replace the ancient mirror in my 87 b2000 a while back and when I was pulling it out I found out the mirror arm and the bracket that holds the switch and bulb for the courtesy light are one cast aluminum piece. Well some LED replacements for the bulb came in today so out came the hacksaw and that's fixed. :toot:

Odd thing is before the bracket was put in the bulb would work with the door open setting but not the constant on setting, and now that it's in place it's either constant on or off regardless of if the door is open or not. :confuoot:

If I have time tomorrow I'll start removing decals and get back to spraying primer on worn paint or rusty spots. Going for a 100% black primer redneck look for S&Gs.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

DJ Commie posted:

Most EFI systems (even now) are in batch/bank fire above a certain engine speed anyway due to injector sizing and the fact that the intake valve is open such a small amount of time with regards to the total time the injector needs to be on to meter enough fuel. True sequential injection is worthwhile only at low engine speeds anyway. It does make a difference (Megasquirt adding sequential injection in the newer hardware has seemed to come up with some efficiency gains), but calling it dumb is hardly fair. Its not at all like TBI, which runs on 1/3 the injection pressures and hence has awful fuel atomization and all of the puddling problems and need for heated intake manifolds that carbs have.

Great point, and something I wasn't even aware of - but remember that most people spend 90% of the time puttering along at under 1500rpm because they're afraid to accelerate or use the throttle in any way that produces sideways or forward/aft G forces. Hell, idiots panic-brake in the left lane here for lumpy pavement in construction zones. So there are some gains for sure.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

As of today the Yellow Bastard (my new nickname for the MSP) runs again! With no oil leak!

FINALLY I can begin final re-assembly and prep it for driving again. Most of it is just properly securing stuff that I slapped into place for the purpose of running it for the leak check. Got the driver's CV axle seated in place, and the passenger side halfway in. Then, bare minimum I just need to find the bolts for the control arms and shaft extension bracket, hook the shifter up, and put new axle nuts on and the car will be drivable.

It's finally happening, holy poo poo. 14 drawn-out, angst-filled months finally coming to an end. Moral of the story, if your car leaks oil and you care about it at all, FIX IT; you will eventually forget to keep it topped up like I did, and your bearings will have a bone to pick with you over it.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Washed my car the other day and today remembered the cosmoline I've been ignoring...forever. Minis tend to have a bunch of it left in the many crevices of the hood and it leaks out in a few spots when the conditions are right, for years. There's a bunch of crusty bits left in spots I can't reach but at least I got the obvious stuff cleaned up finally.

Also I dropped a paper towel down a crawl space behind the front wheel arch with no apparent opening below :doh:. Unbent a clothes hangar to get that out.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

BigHouseOfBooty posted:

Factory installed. Before I took delivery of my Abarth I demanded the dealer removed them. Ridiculous looking things and incredibly tacky.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

BigHouseOfBooty posted:

Nah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

GramCracker posted:

Factory installed. Before I took delivery of my Abarth I demanded the dealer removed them. Ridiculous looking things and incredibly tacky.
I find my car to not be tacky enough without stripes. I'm treading a fine line of just the right amount of tackiness for my tastes.