Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

There's a certain type of video that I've always sort of wondered how exactly it got posted. It's always a clear and unqualified failure of whatever the person was trying to do, and yet by all appearances they still uploaded it, deliberately, for other people to see them fail at a thing they want people to see them succeed at.

Kytrarewn posted:

I'd actually be interested in seeing a discussion of what made people get into watching LPs.

I forget 100% if this was it but I'm pretty sure it was the ever-infamous Sonic '06 LP by pokecapn and them. I heard tales of a game so legendarily bad that a bunch of idiots decided they just had to make fun of it, but went mad in the attempt. This description was not a patch on the actual experience and to this day "some peeps with good interpersonal chemistry and possibly not in a 100% lucid state of mind just rambling about whatever the gently caress" is one of my favorite forms of entertainment.

In fact, I think I would still say pokecapn and the crew are my favorite LPers, even though they've all got their own poo poo to be getting on with and I haven't seen an actual LP out of them in God even knows how long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Dr. Buttass posted:

There's a certain type of video that I've always sort of wondered how exactly it got posted. It's always a clear and unqualified failure of whatever the person was trying to do, and yet by all appearances they still uploaded it, deliberately, for other people to see them fail at a thing they want people to see them succeed at.

I forget 100% if this was it but I'm pretty sure it was the ever-infamous Sonic '06 LP by pokecapn and them. I heard tales of a game so legendarily bad that a bunch of idiots decided they just had to make fun of it, but went mad in the attempt. This description was not a patch on the actual experience and to this day "some peeps with good interpersonal chemistry and possibly not in a 100% lucid state of mind just rambling about whatever the gently caress" is one of my favorite forms of entertainment.

In fact, I think I would still say pokecapn and the crew are my favorite LPers, even though they've all got their own poo poo to be getting on with and I haven't seen an actual LP out of them in God even knows how long.

You (and everyone else who enjoys their stuff) should watch their streams! They often contain multiple people of The Posse, too. Kung-Fu Jesus streams whatever he wants, probably with Kaz, semi-regularly at http://www.twitch.tv/spacekop. medibot sometimes speedruns or does other stuff at http://www.twitch.tv/medibot. Kaz streams very regularly nowadays, but it's always Hearthstone. He's at http://www.twitch.tv/kazeugma and also http://www.hitbox.tv/MyNameIsKaz. Pokecapn has a channel at http://www.twitch.tv/pokecapn but he does like one stream a year.

Just recently they did a playthrough of Asura's Wrath with the full crew mostly present, for example. And it was great and definitely worth watching (but unfortunately isn't fully archived). So there's your streaming recap for the day.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

"It's video games, Scully."
Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."

Dr. Buttass posted:

They're probably not very well adjusted, so it's not like they don't care about their interactions with people. (At least judging from my not-well-adjusted perspective.) However, they could just feel that they've put certain amount of work (I'd put some inverted commas there, but it'd be ambigous) into it, and there's no reason to let those potential views go to waste.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

supermikhail posted:

They're probably not very well adjusted, so it's not like they don't care about their interactions with people. (At least judging from my not-well-adjusted perspective.) However, they could just feel that they've put certain amount of work (I'd put some inverted commas there, but it'd be ambigous) into it, and there's no reason to let those potential views go to waste.

Except that low quality is likely going to stop people watching future videos, so you're sacrificing the long term for short term gai--oh.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I remember when LPs were posted as threads in the Games forum. Some posters were very, very upset about having to see a few LP threads here and there that they had to glance their eyes past to find the threads they DID want to click on, so they whined and whined until LPs were forced into their own subforum, which simply encouraged folks to make more and more LPs to justify there being a whole subforum dedicated to it. If people hadn't gotten so angry about them and drawn so much attention to them, Let's Plays might have just been a passing fad on the forums.

So through all that attention, I started to take notice of them. I'd say with the posting of the Majora's Mask LP by Maxwell Adams, I realized it was something I wanted to contribute to.

I'm still trying to figure out how exactly to do that.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Amppelix posted:

You (and everyone else who enjoys their stuff) should watch their streams! They often contain multiple people of The Posse, too. Kung-Fu Jesus streams whatever he wants, probably with Kaz, semi-regularly at http://www.twitch.tv/spacekop. medibot sometimes speedruns or does other stuff at http://www.twitch.tv/medibot. Kaz streams very regularly nowadays, but it's always Hearthstone. He's at http://www.twitch.tv/kazeugma and also http://www.hitbox.tv/MyNameIsKaz. Pokecapn has a channel at http://www.twitch.tv/pokecapn but he does like one stream a year.

Just recently they did a playthrough of Asura's Wrath with the full crew mostly present, for example. And it was great and definitely worth watching (but unfortunately isn't fully archived). So there's your streaming recap for the day.

I am kind of confused as to why they would prefer a format that doesn't fully archive their work over the LPs they used to do. Can anyone who used to LP and now mostly streams explain?

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Jazerus posted:

I am kind of confused as to why they would prefer a format that doesn't fully archive their work over the LPs they used to do. Can anyone who used to LP and now mostly streams explain?

I don't stream, but I can answer the question anyway. For one thing, it's immediacy. LPs take effort, even when they're the kind of casual group affairs that the posse engage in. Editing and uploading videos becomes a lot more cumbersome when you realise you can create basically the same videos and cut out that step of the process. For another, streaming has a lot less pressure than making a thread on SA does. It's far more just loving around for a few hours than being held up to the standards and slight…snobbery, I guess you could call it, of the subforum. Plus I don't think they'd be too fussed about speedrun attempts or Hearthstone games not being forever archived.

If they play a game every evening or week or whenever and they know that they have an audience who would enjoy watching them and chatting with them, there's no reason not to stream it.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Jazerus posted:

Streaming is really, really easy. No editing, rendering, uploading/dealing with youtube (although streaming sites aren't always great). There's no limit on how much or how little time and effort you put in, and you can just turn off and forget about it when you're done.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
Twitch can also archive recordings to edit for later if you still want a traditional lp thread.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
One might even say it's more cas'! :v: (It should totally be spelled cazh.)

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Roar posted:

Twitch can also archive recordings to edit for later if you still want a traditional lp thread.

Or if you are an indomitable shitlord and do minimal editing in the first place you can just cut your twitch stream up into chunks and post them to YouTube and hope no one calls you out for just looking up a video of someone beating the final boss of Lightning Returns when it gets too hard.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
What got me into watching LPs was Slow Beef's MG2 srategy guide. After that, I didn't even look at any LPs until I stumbled across T40s run of FFX in 2009. From there, I got into Chip's stuff and began to watch more and more.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Lazyfire posted:

Or if you are an indomitable shitlord and do minimal editing in the first place you can just cut your twitch stream up into chunks and post them to YouTube and hope no one calls you out for just looking up a video of someone beating the final boss of Lightning Returns when it gets too hard.

Oh god has someone made a This is how you Don't Play LRFF13 yet? I don't want to trudge through the actual videos myself...

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Fedule posted:

Oh god has someone made a This is how you Don't Play LRFF13 yet? I don't want to trudge through the actual videos myself...

The worst thing about his reaction to the original compilations of MGS2 and 3 was to loudly and proudly proclaim that there was obviously something mentally wrong with evilAJ because he made an X hour-long "hate-filled montage", ignoring that all they are are the footage of him playing with other people's YouTube comments overlaid every now and then. Just like how he complains about most games, the thought that something negative towards him, be it a video, him losing at a game or whatever else, being even remotely his own fault just doesn't register to him. Even when you don't think it's possible for him to excuse himself, he finds a way; I mean what possible reason could he have to justify him bailing out of Lightning Battles Gamestop? So far all we've gotten is to not judge him by other people's selfish standards.

frozentreasure fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Mar 13, 2014

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Fedule posted:

I've noticed that it takes people months to even years to work through the DSP Backlog and find the right moments. I can only hope that is front and center. As a side note I tried to show my fiancee one of the TiHYDP videos last night because she couldn't wrap her head around someone being as bad as Phil, but Chrome died and she had to restart her computer as it started playing. I take it as a sign that I shouldn't expose others to Phil.

Back on the topic at hand: I was bouncing around the Games subforum for a while when I started to notice people titling threads "Let's Play ____" and it seemed like a really neat concept. That was back when LPs were all screenshots and the updates were really short as the thread was making the decisions as the OP carried out the will of the thread and maybe wrote a bit in between. Blind Sally has a couple threads that get pretty close to what that was like (though the second one is a pretty different thing altogether). I attempted to put together an LP of Super Mario RPG before LP got its own subforum, but I gave up on it when someone else launched one.

I lurked here for years before I did anything, which I think was for the best because by the time I was ready to try there were tutorials, established practices and a ton of content to compare what I did to what other people were doing.

Then I went on some weird tear where I completed seven LPs in a year (well, eight in a few weeks), so I clearly developed a problem of some nature.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Fedule posted:

frozentreasure posted:

The worst thing about his reaction to the original compilations of MGS2 and 3 was to loudly and proudly proclaim that there was obviously something mentally wrong with evilAJ because he made an X hour-long "hate-filled montage", ignoring that all they are are the footage of him playing with other people's YouTube comments overlaid every now and then. Just like how he complains about most games, the thought that something negative towards him, be it a video, him losing at a game or whatever else, being even remotely his own fault just doesn't register to him. Even when you don't think it's possible for him to excuse himself, he finds a way; I mean what possible reason could he have to justify him bailing out of Lightning Battles Gamestop? So far all we've gotten is to not judge him by other people's selfish standards.

I wonder how DSP will feel when at some point in time, the people making fun of him make more money than him. I'd probably smile from ear to ear if the guy who makes "this is how you dont play" out-subs his source material.

weird
Jun 4, 2012

by zen death robot
I don't remember when I first heard about LP's, but I thought they were a really stupid idea for a long time. Then a friend showed me some Retsupurae videos, and I really liked those so I ended up watching Slowbeef and Diabetus' LP's, and then I started watching LP's in general. The exact same thing has happened with a few friends of mine I've shown Retsupurae to.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

A friend of mine introduced me to the LP Archive back in '08 and the idea of combining my two favorite pasttimes (creative writing and video games) amazed me. It eventually led me to follow active LP's on Something Awful and I've been contributing myself since the day I registered.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
I was looking for footage of Monster Party, and I found DeceasedCrab's LP of it. I don't remember why I wanted to watch footage of Monster Party though...

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Someone linked me elsewhere to MeccaPrime's LP of Link's Awakening where he glitches the poo poo out of it and plays it straight. Of all the things to pop up in recommended videos on Youtube, I saw a recommendation for some random vid PsychadelicEyeball did as a joke that had the word Retsupurae in it. He was pretending to RP slowbeef's old Super Metroid with a TVTropes page up saying what an RP was.

That poo poo was straight incomprehensible if you had no idea what the hell LP, RP, or anything else was and I watched solely to figure out what the hell he was going on about.

RSCNyx
Mar 6, 2013

It's okay, little guy. I would be scared too.

Phantasium posted:

Someone linked me elsewhere to MeccaPrime's LP of Link's Awakening where he glitches the poo poo out of it and plays it straight. Of all the things to pop up in recommended videos on Youtube, I saw a recommendation for some random vid PsychadelicEyeball did as a joke that had the word Retsupurae in it. He was pretending to RP slowbeef's old Super Metroid with a TVTropes page up saying what an RP was.

That poo poo was straight incomprehensible if you had no idea what the hell LP, RP, or anything else was and I watched solely to figure out what the hell he was going on about.

Let us hope you never run into the most successful YouTuber/hacker/Let's Player/Blogger/Dramatic Reader there has ever been: Baker7498.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

RSCNyx posted:

Let us hope you never run into the most successful YouTuber/hacker/Let's Player/Blogger/Dramatic Reader there has ever been: Baker7498.

The amazing part is, when I first heard Psych's actual voice I still wasn't sure which one (if any) was the real one.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I started reading and watching them since Vlaphor posted his Harvester and I Have No Mouth lps. Was somewhat used to reading relative middle to long form content about games, mainly stuff like ToastyFrog, SolidSharkey and ZeroesUnlimited. So having someone just grab a game and poke around it and write/videotape oneself play around it was already half-sold to me.

Guested on a few videos here and there around Desert Bus/Viddler times, otherwise been mostly a watcher!

TiamosLoren
Apr 20, 2013
It's weird for me how I even came close to understanding LP's as I do now. Making videos was how I started, and it was stupid stuff: Montage crap every YT channel had back when CoD/BF were things (they still are, but before people bitched at EA/Activision for churning the same game out or for faulty servers). It was after that kinda simmered down in the wake of BF3 that I then got into Rooster Teeth stuff (before they started LP's) and, through that, Fragger who was doing streaming at the time (RIP AHTV).

And funnily enough, it was through him I found everything else since: LP's, Retsupurae, even Something Awful. Of course, finding all this stuff got me interested in LP - moreso when it was on the way to becoming more of a mainstream thing. Then I did a stupid LP of my own (after thinking I learned from Retsupurae on how NOT to do an LP, I then half-expected them to do one of my videos) covering Space Marine. By the time I got to video 7 though (out of 19), I was starting to understand the work behind it, that most do it out of enjoyment over anything else, and that when showcasing a game, the game came first (over my own life, at least - a lesson I didn't learn video 1).

Did the odd video after that, then unlisted my channel's content out of disgust of Youtube/Google+ gently caress-ups (and maybe out of embarrassment). Just sucks that I didn't get to redeem myself with the Arc: TotS SSLP.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WO_AOnKJQO0 Oh good, a scarecam WITH reading text on screen. Even comes with an obnoxious intro, I think it's my birthday.

MEAT!
Mar 18, 2008

TARDISman posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WO_AOnKJQO0 Oh good, a scarecam WITH reading text on screen. Even comes with an obnoxious intro, I think it's my birthday.

Concentrated all the worst things.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

MEAT! posted:

Concentrated all the worst things.

I look at this and just want to punch the avatar in its stupid face. If I start watching the video, I'll probably put my fist through the screen.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

TARDISman posted:

The worst part about this video is the fact that he's not on the Hanako route

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
For some reason, the incorrect aspect ratio bugs me just as much as the rest of the terrible, terrible faults with that video. The only way this could be worse is if it was a camcorder.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Hang on, do you expect me to believe that DSP beat CAIUS BALLAD on his own and then got stuck at the final boss? That's like, inverse sucking. Caius is considered one of the hardest bosses in the game isn't he, Or is the final boss actually difficult as well?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

What do you count as on his own?
With express help with his twitch.tv chat or without? Because he definitely had the chat help him out.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

TARDISman posted:

You'd think someone who insists on reading everything out loud would at least be competent at reading out loud. I also love how bewildered he is over the concept of canned coffee.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

BioEnchanted posted:

Hang on, do you expect me to believe that DSP beat CAIUS BALLAD on his own and then got stuck at the final boss? That's like, inverse sucking. Caius is considered one of the hardest bosses in the game isn't he, Or is the final boss actually difficult as well?

Did he save him for last? I can possibly see that being the case since i'm sure somebody in his chat told him that Caius is the only boss that doesn't get stronger over time.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug
I hope you don't mind me plugging the Retsupurae Podcast here, but Jim Sterling came on and we had a neat talk about Let's Plays and the future and such. By the by, since someone asked, no there are no Dark Souls 2 spoilers in this podcast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_00sq7KCkno

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Further proof that Game Grumps is a podcast: They lost the video and replaced it with somewhat related imagery, and the episode is just as entertaining if not better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AirTnTMrIYs

MEAT!
Mar 18, 2008

Amppelix posted:

Further proof that Game Grumps is a podcast: They lost the video and replaced it with somewhat related imagery, and the episode is just as entertaining if not better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AirTnTMrIYs

Better than an actual episode. Holy poo poo egoraptor needs to shave.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

MEAT! posted:

Holy poo poo egoraptor needs to shave.

I didn't want to say anything about it...

Either way, I never really "watched" any of their stuff. I used to just listen to them talk.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Egoraptor.

Is an animator.

Has someone else animate for him.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Jamesman posted:

Egoraptor.

Is an animator.

Hey, this is the 21st century. Outsourcing is the name of the game!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Jamesman posted:

Egoraptor.

Is an animator.

Didn't you know? Egoraptor is too busy not animating to animate stuff himself. :v:

• Locked thread