Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Kraftwerk posted:

I want to like the new Merc but the 3 Series reputation and general design language keeps me from preferring it. I think it really sucks how BMW basically owns that segment and everything will always look like a 3-Series pretender even when the new 3 Series isn't what it used to be.

BMW: At least we didn't birth the ridiculous rolling poseur that is the CLA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Ahem...

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/BMW-2-series-Active-Touring-2014-02-13

Only registered members can see post attachments!

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

:negative:

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I was reading that the CX5 is supposed to get a bump to 2.5 liters to help with powar and torques. While I was reading Car and Driver's review of CX5's I came across the fact the curb weight of the 2013 CX5 with the 2.0 liter and 6 speed manual was 3126lbs. What the poo poo how did they get a crossover suv that light?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Coredump posted:

I was reading that the CX5 is supposed to get a bump to 2.5 liters to help with powar and torques. While I was reading Car and Driver's review of CX5's I came across the fact the curb weight of the 2013 CX5 with the 2.0 liter and 6 speed manual was 3126lbs. What the poo poo how did they get a crossover suv that light?

It's a car with a lift kit, and within 100lbs of most of the other vehicles in the class.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Coredump posted:

My wife's has the 2.5L. It's a 30hp bump over the 2.0. I don't know if they're going to make it available on all trim levels, but she has an AWD Grand Touring. She really wanted to get a 2013, but I was leery about the 155hp. She had a CR-V with 160 and there were points where I just didn't feel safe driving it.

It's pretty sprightly with the 2.5L.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

My wife's has the 2.5L. It's a 30hp bump over the 2.0. I don't know if they're going to make it available on all trim levels, but she has an AWD Grand Touring. She really wanted to get a 2013, but I was leery about the 155hp. She had a CR-V with 160 and there were points where I just didn't feel safe driving it.

It's pretty sprightly with the 2.5L.

It's several hundred pounds lighter than a CR-V, and lighter than a first-gen Forester, which had ~160HP.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

PCOS Bill posted:

It's several hundred pounds lighter than a CR-V, and lighter than a first-gen Forester, which had ~160HP.

I think the problem is that Mazda's biggest CX-5 competitor is probably the Ford Escape, which has a 270 ft*lb monster of a 4 cylinder.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

PCOS Bill posted:

I know car mags usually get loaded up models and such, but motor trend put the 2wd CX5 on a scale at 3355lbs to the fwd rav4's 3467lbs, and the awd forester's 3444lbs.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Coredump posted:

Cars are getting significantly lighter.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Cars are getting significantly lighter.

Some*

The wrx and sti got heavier, also.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/1403_2015_subaru_wrx_sti_first_test/

quote:

The STI does have some excellent dance moves and is probably a tick or two faster on that dream road. But really, there wouldn't be much of an advantage to the STI over the WRX if they were the same price. Factor in the extra money and it's WRX all the way. Now, if the STI had 50 extra horsepower…

This isn't surprising given the dyno results of both cars. It seems subaru pulled a porsche and dogged the wrx with gearing to keep the STI faster.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

I have a feeling that anyone who buys the 1st year(maybe 2nd year too?) of the redesigned STI is going to be pissed off.
I dont see them sticking with the old engine config forever.
This to me seemed like they needed to get the STI out there, so they just phoned it in and threw the existing powerplant into the new body.

12345random
Mar 24, 2013

Twerk from Home posted:

I think the problem is that Mazda's biggest CX-5 competitor is probably the Ford Escape, which has a 270 ft*lb monster of a 4 cylinder.

The 2.0 is underrated as well.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
On the C Class. WTF is this? Does it become erect over 50 mph? Is that a touchpad or lever attach to a knob or gear or something? Like honestly, this is like a 3 sea shells joke in car form

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Throatwarbler posted:

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/1403_2015_mercedes_benz_c_class_first_drive/

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/03/11/2015-mercedes-benz-c-class-review/

New C-class driving impressions are out and they are pretty promising. The interior looks very nice and the exterior design language works much better with RWD proportions than they do on the CLA. Air suspension too.

I like nearly everything about it except that nav screen. Is it just me or does it look tacky as hell? It looks like they took some cheap tablet and mounted it on top of the center console. I thought that it was some nav thing they put in the car to find their way around at first.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Xguard86 posted:

On the C Class. WTF is this? Does it become erect over 50 mph? Is that a touchpad or lever attach to a knob or gear or something? Like honestly, this is like a 3 sea shells joke in car form

Touchpad covers the dial, but you can still spin the dial

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

Franco Caution posted:

I have a feeling that anyone who buys the 1st year(maybe 2nd year too?) of the redesigned STI is going to be pissed off.
I dont see them sticking with the old engine config forever.
This to me seemed like they needed to get the STI out there, so they just phoned it in and threw the existing powerplant into the new body.

Happened with the last gen WRX; 09 got a 35hp bump plus suspension tweaks, 11 changed to the STI wide body. The first year non Coyote powered Mustang owners were really hosed over though.

Stealth Like posted:

I like nearly everything about it except that nav screen. Is it just me or does it look tacky as hell? It looks like they took some cheap tablet and mounted it on top of the center console. I thought that it was some nav thing they put in the car to find their way around at first.

I've noticed the trend as well, I think it's a good thing because you don't have to design the dash around a giant ungainly rectangle. Most of them retract into the dash as well.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

The first year non Coyote powered Mustang owners were really hosed over though.

I always feel bad for the guys driving that body style when I don't see the "5.0" badge. Poor bastards.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Personally, I think Subaru is on the verge of killing off the STI (at least in its current form).

They could have easily gotten the same power out of the FA20 turbo that the current STI sees since the Legacy GT has been doing 296hp on that engine since 2012. They chose not to for whatever reason and it can't be cost since the development has been done for awhile.

It's all a very odd choice and I had such mixed feelings seeing the STI at the autoshow. I though it looked great and felt myself get excited over it, then I remembered the old lump under the hood and was crushed.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I always feel bad for the guys driving that body style when I don't see the "5.0" badge. Poor bastards.

Especially when it's a 2010 GT with the boat anchor 4.6, since the 2011 V6s are probably faster.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

VERTiG0 posted:

Especially when it's a 2010 GT with the boat anchor 4.6, since the 2011 V6s are probably faster.

That's what I mean. "GT" instead of "5.0". Pulled the trigger a little quick there, pal.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
my friend bought a 4.6 mustang fully loaded and traded it like a year and a half later for a 5.0 stripper because he needed FIVE POINT OOHHH.

Well, I make it sound dumb but it was about an even trade and he doesn't give a poo poo about stereos or leather so good for him I guess. I suggested he buy one of these:

http://www.americanmuscle.com/frpp-sc-cobrajet-engine.html

but he balked. "not ready to die" pssshh whatever.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

bull3964 posted:

They could have easily gotten the same power out of the FA20 turbo that the current STI sees since the Legacy GT has been doing 296hp on that engine since 2012. They chose not to for whatever reason and it can't be cost since the development has been done for awhile.

I suspect that Subaru had some reliability issues getting that kind of power for the USDM. The combination of lovely gas and emissions requirements hamstring turbocharged engine performance in the US. I personally think that Subaru should have held off on the STI for two years and developed a FA-derived 2.5L engine. The new WRX is going to be so close to the STI in terms of performance, that I highly doubt sales would suffer at all.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

oRenj9 posted:

I suspect that Subaru had some reliability issues getting that kind of power for the USDM. The combination of lovely gas and emissions requirements hamstring turbocharged engine performance in the US. I personally think that Subaru should have held off on the STI for two years and developed a FA-derived 2.5L engine. The new WRX is going to be so close to the STI in terms of performance, that I highly doubt sales would suffer at all.

that's the problem though. The world could have lived without the sti for a year or two. Instead it seems they've caymaned the wrx so it wasn't faster than the sti. It has the same engine as the jdm legacy gt but is down 30hp/ft/lbs, and on top of that the gearing seems to be all that's stopping it from matching the performance of the STI.

They should have released the WRX as the car it could be, and the STI as the car it should be. At this point all we can hope for is an awd focus rs or dodge dart srt pops up to kick them in the rear end, because the evo rivalry is as good as dead.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

http://jalopnik.com/nissan-confirms-the-rear-drive-idx-concept-will-go-to-p-1501793053

Nissan confirmed they're going to make the new 510. I just hope we get a non-CVT version

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Kraftwerk posted:

I want to like the new Merc but the 3 Series reputation and general design language keeps me from preferring it. I think it really sucks how BMW basically owns that segment and everything will always look like a 3-Series pretender even when the new 3 Series isn't what it used to be.

I agree. Everything I've read about the new 3/4 series says "It's heavier, not as pretty, and doesn't drive as well as what you would expect from a BMW". I've always been a BMW fan but their current state of affairs as well as uninspired design actually has me in Mercedes' corner this current generation. Something about the current styling of Benz models is really clicking with me. Were I actually in the market to purchase one, though, I'd still lean toward BMW because of the mantran availability.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

A MIRACLE posted:

http://jalopnik.com/nissan-confirms-the-rear-drive-idx-concept-will-go-to-p-1501793053

Nissan confirmed they're going to make the new 510. I just hope we get a non-CVT version

I'd bet a coke that it turns out to be fwd or fwd-based awd and is basically a Juke coupe.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

The Midniter posted:

I agree. Everything I've read about the new 3/4 series says "It's heavier, not as pretty, and doesn't drive as well as what you would expect from a BMW". I've always been a BMW fan but their current state of affairs as well as uninspired design actually has me in Mercedes' corner this current generation. Something about the current styling of Benz models is really clicking with me. Were I actually in the market to purchase one, though, I'd still lean toward BMW because of the mantran availability.

Personally I'm not a huge fan of the low-end Mercedes styling. I'm actually sort of seriously thinking about an ATS, though. I test drove once last year and thought it was pretty decent.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Cream_Filling posted:

Personally I'm not a huge fan of the low-end Mercedes styling. I'm actually sort of seriously thinking about an ATS, though. I test drove once last year and thought it was pretty decent.

I don't like how melty Mercedes asses have gotten. If I was buying today I'd buy Cadillac as well.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Cream_Filling posted:

I'd bet a coke that it turns out to be fwd or fwd-based awd and is basically a Juke coupe.

:( I really wanted to like the Juke. What was so hard about offering the 6 speed with the turbo/awd combo?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

A MIRACLE posted:

:( I really wanted to like the Juke. What was so hard about offering the 6 speed with the turbo/awd combo?

Production complexity. Manual buyers are going to be a minority for a hatchback dressed up like a crossover, but FWD manual is cheap, easy, and a good way to get a low base price and provide an automatic as an upsell. AWD is another upsell from FWD auto, and lets you call it a crossover when it's only a few inches bigger than a Golf. The engineering that would go into a manual AWD drivetrain probably wasn't seen as worth it for the number of sales they'd lose to its absence.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Production complexity. Manual buyers are going to be a minority for a hatchback dressed up like a crossover, but FWD manual is cheap, easy, and a good way to get a low base price and provide an automatic as an upsell. AWD is another upsell from FWD auto, and lets you call it a crossover when it's only a few inches bigger than a Golf. The engineering that would go into a manual AWD drivetrain probably wasn't seen as worth it for the number of sales they'd lose to its absence.

Well fortunately the 510 isn't going to suffer crossover-itis. I'm holding off on a BRZ until we get more details about it.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

blk posted:

I don't like how melty Mercedes asses have gotten. If I was buying today I'd buy Cadillac as well.

A coworker of mine drives a CLA and someone in the garage drives a fairly new CLS. I think they look pretty good but I do prefer the cadillac styling, the ATS especially is very sharp. The real shame is how BMWs keep getting uglier and uglier. I saw a red E39 M5 on the road the other day and was really struck at how good those cars still look.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

A MIRACLE posted:

Well fortunately the 510 isn't going to suffer crossover-itis. I'm holding off on a BRZ until we get more details about it.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

First tack on bigger production US bumpers and probably a bit of thickening on the A pillar and/or an additional B pillar to meet roof crush standards and it'll look a lot fatter, especially if they end up nixing the blackout pillars. It also will have to ride a little higher than above for speedbumps, winter performance, etc.

And that's assuming the engine is small enough for the front end to meet pedestrian safety standards as is. Otherwise, in the production version teh cowl height will have to rise and with it beltlines and then rooflines (those windows are already super small) and before long it'll look more like a kia soul sedan.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Mar 13, 2014

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Cream_Filling posted:

Of course it will be. Also ugly, but thats not the point.

Cream_Filling posted:

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

First tack on bigger production US bumpers and probably a bit of thickening on the A pillar and/or an additional B pillar to meet roof crush standards and it'll look a lot fatter, especially if they end up nixing the blackout pillars. It also will have to ride a little higher than above for speedbumps, winter performance, etc.

And that's assuming the engine is small enough for the front end to meet pedestrian safety standards as is. Otherwise, in the production version teh cowl height will have to rise and with it beltlines and then rooflines (those windows are already super small) and before long it'll look more like a kia soul sedan.
And thus the entire problem with over regulation in the first place.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Mar 13, 2014

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Xguard86 posted:

my friend bought a 4.6 mustang fully loaded and traded it like a year and a half later for a 5.0 stripper because he needed FIVE POINT OOHHH.

Well, I make it sound dumb but it was about an even trade and he doesn't give a poo poo about stereos or leather so good for him I guess. I suggested he buy one of these:

http://www.americanmuscle.com/frpp-sc-cobrajet-engine.html

but he balked. "not ready to die" pssshh whatever.

Your reply should have been you are already dead my friend already dead.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Is the ATS really all that great? While the 3 Series isn't what it used to be, most reviewers say it's still the class leader. I drove the F30 335xi myself and thought it was amazing. As much as I want to like the ATS, I dislike the rear taillights which scream "old man car" and it still seems cheap looking compared to the BMW. I also don't like GM's stupid haptic feedback touchplastic CUE system. I prefer old fashioned buttons and dials.

As for the CLA, I can't justify the price they charge for that thing. The CLA45 AMG approaches the territory of many V6 performance sedans. And yes, I agree with the other poster, Mercedes cars these days look way too melty and remind me of Infinitis.

The main reason I'd want to drive an ATS is that it's much more exclusive in my area. Where I live it's predominantly poverty spec 325is and C-classes with some A4s and S4s sprinkled in, the ATS is definitely the standout model. I actually did a count on my drive to work the other day and counted many more 325s than Honda civics :psyduck:.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

ilkhan posted:

Of course it will be. Also ugly, but thats not the point.

And thus the entire problem with over regulation in the first place.

yeah gently caress all those laws that have made cars significantly safer for human beings

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

yeah gently caress all those laws that have made cars significantly safer for human beings

Safer, fine. But gently caress the Mercedes law.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I could do with 10% less safety and 50% less weight/complexity/cost/design-restrictions, myself. We're way beyond diminishing marginal returns per unit of "safety" we require. Hell; seatbelts, crash standards from a decade ago, and improved driver training is all we actually need to require. The joy of being able to advertise 5 start safety ratings will do the rest for the everyday cars without requiring a thousand pounds and $10k of safety crap on the more specialized performance cars.