Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Rexides posted:

Should I just get rid of XP and let them level at appropriate story points?

Yes, absolutely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Captain Walker posted:

Don't lure them into destroying anything, play to find out what happens remember? Decide what the consequences of crystals and no crystals would be, and let it ride. Bonus points if both alternatives are terrible.

Paolomania posted:

And if you want crystal destruction to be such a calamity, it sounds ripe for an Impending Doom. As for "how best to present them", to set this up in a Dungeon Worldy fashion, you would have two conflicting dangers on the campaign front - one whose Impending doom requires crystals, one whose impending doom requires no crystals. The players learn about the dangers as they encounter their Grim Portents, and ultimately get to pick sides and make the call on which doom occurs (and propels the next arc). Setting up such fronts and dangers is central to DW GMing and is explained very well in the book.

Uh, lure might have been a bad choice of words. What I meant to say is: "Make it plausible that they'd go along with it" instead of just "Do horrible thing Y/N" where they laugh it off and say "obviously No."

But yeah, I should start working with those fronts. I still barely feel the need to use them but maybe it'll sink in after scribbling down ideas.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Even if you still use the XP system straight, killing those kobolds shouldn't be worth any XP reward. XP is handed out for overcoming obstacles to your goals. Those kobolds weren't obstacles, randomly killing them should earn the PCs nothing.

You just have to be up front with the players about it. "Are you sure you want to kill these guys? They're not in your way, you won't get any experience for them. You still want to do it?" And if they want to do it for kicks, well, then they can murderhobo it up and you just work around it.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
I don't really see anything wrong with them murderhoboing it up and getting rewarded for it, so long as all the players are on board. If that's what they want, then reward them for doing it and complicate their lives for doing it later on.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Rexides posted:

Should I just get rid of XP and let them level at appropriate story points?
Yes you should. Tracking XP is tedious as hell, and if you were really worried about the number of encounters and challenges per level you would just be doing the math backwards during actual play. I've both held my players at a lower level and over leveled them and neither was a problem, where not doing so would have been terrible for the game.

Tendales posted:

Even if you still use the XP system straight, killing those kobolds shouldn't be worth any XP reward.
That's another problem. There are a finite number of times you can kill a kobold for rewards if you play xp straight. Delaying leveling can make for months of kobold shenanigans.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Somnom posted:

That being said, how might you tuck away not-so-critical information? It's not imperative that they read it, but I think certain players would appreciate finding something like that. Should I just wait and see if an opportunity just presents itself? Should I sneak it onto their person or have a random NPC give it to them?

You can pass the player notes, and leave it up to them whether they want to share. If it's general knowledge their character would know, they can be the one to tell the party at the appropriate time (defined by them). If you want them questioning it a little more, you can pass notes telling them that a voice in their character's head is telling it to them. For greater intrigue, one of the other characters is also hearing voices, and those voices are saying something different.

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.
In my Ravenloft game, the evil player character has everyone in the palm of his hand. He is about to TPK the rest of the party. I guess I hosed up as a DM for letting it come to this. He has failed every powers check for every evil action, and is essentially a dark lord at this point, outpowering the rest of the party on a one on one basis. I figured the other party members were going to put him down. Now, the opposite is about to happen.

Is there anything I should do? Should I just scrap the campaign at this point? Should I use the hand of god?

We've been playing the campaign once a week for a year and a half.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
I'm not 100% on Ravenloft but isn't it like UltraHell? With that in mind I'd say let him TPK the players. Then have a dark power bring them back to some sort of terrible half life, instilled with new corrupting power, to seek revenge and serve his own dark ends. Same characters but the killer makes a new one. Basically the same result as if they won.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

God Of Paradise posted:

In my Ravenloft game, the evil player character has everyone in the palm of his hand. He is about to TPK the rest of the party. I guess I hosed up as a DM for letting it come to this. He has failed every powers check for every evil action, and is essentially a dark lord at this point, outpowering the rest of the party on a one on one basis. I figured the other party members were going to put him down. Now, the opposite is about to happen.

Is there anything I should do? Should I just scrap the campaign at this point? Should I use the hand of god?

If you think it would be a dick move then talk to him and tell him that. If the rest of the party would dig it then go for it.

You are playing to have a good time, after all.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

God Of Paradise posted:

Talk to the guy like a grown-up.

No, seriously. It's one of the easiest things in the world to fail to do, because we see in-game problems and look for in-game solutions; sometimes that's not the right approach, though, and this is one of those times. If this guy is about to TPK the others - and I assume that you view this as a bad thing or else you wouldn't bring it up - just try saying to him "dude, that's not cool, what you're doing. I know it'll be fun for you, but it won't be any kind of fun for the rest of the group, so maybe we can sit down and try and figure out a path forward that involves everyone getting to have a good time."

As for how that could happen... well, for one thing, yeah, you hosed up. A PC this close to being a Lord of Ravenloft really should have become an NPC by now. But you know what? Let's run with it.

If memory serves, once a guy fails enough powers checks in Ravenloft he becomes a Lord of Ravenloft, and gets his own little chunk of land and whatnot to be Evil to. But that land comes from somewhere; there's reference in the material to realms being carved out of other Lords' realms, often much to their dismay (at least I seem to think there are, but I haven't looked at a Ravenloft book since 2nd Edition was state-of-the-art, so). Seems to me that the local Lord is going to be none too pleased about the imminent ascension of the Evil PC to Lordhood, because that PC is gonna get a village and a keep or something and that village and keep is mine, dammit. So they launch an assault to defuse whatever plans Evil PC has - and reveal his puppet-master-ing to the rest of the party in the process.

Okay, but that still has inter-party adversarialness, so it's not ideal... but throw in a vision from the God of one of the other PCs, letting them know Evil Guy can still be saved - and as he's so tied in to the fabric of the Demiplane of Dread at this point, the very act of saving him weakens the entire plane of Ravenloft. This is a Good Thing (tm)! Even evil deities should be on board with that idea, because the more evil gets concentrated in Ravenloft, the less evil there is for them to work with among their own worshippers ("this is the seventh cult leader who's just popped into Ravenloft before he could set my Master Plan into motion, dammit! Something has to be done about this!").

The trick is, they have to sign on with the guy in order to be in position to save him. He has to offer - once his cover is blown - to make them his lieutenants, to invest them with the dark powers of his Lordship to come... and they have to take that offer, no matter how repugnant they may find it.

So moving forward you have one guy being Evil Lord and the rest being Evil Middle Management trying to figure out how to redeem the Lord and get him to stop being so Evil; they might manage it or they might not, but if they can, it will be a serious victory for the Good Guys. Think the final season of Angel, trying to take down the Evil from within - and trying not to lose your soul in the process.

Suggest something like that to the guy, and if he's worth a drat he'll be on board. And if he isn't, Hand Of God his rear end.

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006

My Lovely Horse posted:

My players are pretty hesitant with this whole collaborative setting thing I'm trying to get them to do. So I've given them homework: in no more than a session or two, you'll arrive in a region where we'll spend the rest of the campaign. Everyone please come up with the reason your character is going there. If you give me a place to go with it and draw it on the map, that's a gold star for you right there. The map in question being a blank sheet right now.

I figure that's gonna give me five huge plot points and either I come up with some long-term story that combines them ("the wizard is looking for her mentor and the cleric has heard rumours about the walking dead? oh ho ho ho!") or we just run through five adventures where everyone gets the spotlight in turn. Either way works for me. Plan B is to just break out some official adventure modules. That would also work for me.

The way I solve this sort of problem is that everyone makes their backstory before I really put the world together. Then from there, I pluck out all the places etc and put them on the map. In addition, every time they get a magic item, they get a little notecard and they have to make a drawing for the item, name it, and write a little 2-3 line blurb about it's function/history/reasons before it works in game. This gets players involved in making the game world, and knowing it very well, because they have a vested interest. And they sure love it when they have/choose to go to Borkania when their fighter found a 'Borkanian steel sword' in a tomb four adventures ago and he came up with the name Borkania because he had to come up with a name quick.

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

As for how that could happen... well, for one thing, yeah, you hosed up. A PC this close to being a Lord of Ravenloft really should have become an NPC by now. But you know what? Let's run with it.

If memory serves, once a guy fails enough powers checks in Ravenloft he becomes a Lord of Ravenloft, and gets his own little chunk of land and whatnot to be Evil to. But that land comes from somewhere; there's reference in the material to realms being carved out of other Lords' realms, often much to their dismay (at least I seem to think there are, but I haven't looked at a Ravenloft book since 2nd Edition was state-of-the-art, so). Seems to me that the local Lord is going to be none too pleased about the imminent ascension of the Evil PC to Lordhood, because that PC is gonna get a village and a keep or something and that village and keep is mine, dammit. So they launch an assault to defuse whatever plans Evil PC has - and reveal his puppet-master-ing to the rest of the party in the process.

You are right about traditional Ravenloft, the player becomes an NPC after failing enough powers checks. We're actually playing a plane-walking Planescape campaign where the Powers and the places in Ravenloft are key. The quickest way to explain it is to say "it's complicated."

Good advice though. I've just figured an in-plot way of dealing with it.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Syphilis Fish posted:

The way I solve this sort of problem is that everyone makes their backstory before I really put the world together. Then from there, I pluck out all the places etc and put them on the map.
Literally doing exactly that right now :v:

Great idea with the magic items though. I'll have to remember that for future endeavours.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

God Of Paradise posted:

Step down from DM, join the group as a new PC, and let that guy be the new DM, problem solved.

AreYouStillThere
Jan 14, 2010

Well you're just going to have to get over that.
I'm gearing up to start a new campaign, and I could really use some advice, or a friendly point in the right direction.

A little back story:

The setting is Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time. I am a huge nerd lord about it, and two of my players are too. The other two are SOs who only know the world and terminology in passing, but are willing to learn. Four players total. I have the Wheel of Time d20 source book that I'm half using and half doing whatever I want.

In general, I like campaigns with more role playing and puzzles, and less fighting, so this is a perfect setting. I've already told everyone that it is going to be highly political, and that information gathering/having and spying will be the majority of the game.

Here's where the fun stuff comes in, and where I need help.

If you're familiar with the Wheel of Time, you know that male wizards (or channelers) generally try to hide who they are/what they can do, because otherwise they are liable to get lynched, or hunted down. It began with my partner deciding he wanted to "pretend" to be a nobleman class (kind of a lovely class on its own; has access to things like inspire troops, call favors, militia, not really hand to hand fighting, though. It's basically a bard) but ACTUALLY be a male channeler. I think this sounds SO RAD and I really want him to be able to keep it a secret as long as possible.

Do you have any recommendations for how we can manage this? I'm basically thinking two character sheets, one to have in front of everyone, and one he would consult in his notebook of what his REAL saving throws/stats/powers are. But I really don't want it to be obvious. I also don't want to have to do all his rolling for him, as what's the fun in that?

Any ideas much appreciated.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
That's a little tricky. Depends on the table. Personally I don't like tricking players, so if a character has a secret I don't keep it from the players, I just ask the other players to roleplay someone who doesn't know the secret. But if you want more of a paranoia style thing going on, I would have the fake sheet which he has, and the real one that you have. He'll just have to be familiar with his real hidden sheet. Then use notes and/or code words to communicate. He can even ask for what his stats are. But if he's checking a hidden piece of paper that looks like a char sheet all the time the jig will be up fast.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Print the character sheet using that red/blue hidden message stuff and have the player use a set of awesome decoder glasses.

e: Use red for one character's stats, blue for the other, and then fill with random noise of other colors to hide both from everyone else. Then he can wear the red/blue glasses and just close one eye or the other for reading whichever character. :v:

AreYouStillThere
Jan 14, 2010

Well you're just going to have to get over that.

Mr. Prokosch posted:

That's a little tricky. Depends on the table. Personally I don't like tricking players, so if a character has a secret I don't keep it from the players, I just ask the other players to roleplay someone who doesn't know the secret. But if you want more of a paranoia style thing going on, I would have the fake sheet which he has, and the real one that you have. He'll just have to be familiar with his real hidden sheet. Then use notes and/or code words to communicate. He can even ask for what his stats are. But if he's checking a hidden piece of paper that looks like a char sheet all the time the jig will be up fast.

I don't normally go for the paranoia thing either, but that is going to be a central aspect of this campaign. I already said that a house rule this time around is that anything you say out of character, the other players will know, in character. So they already know they really need to watch what they say.

Every player has a secret, actually, but I don't think all of them are going to need two character sheets to keep it. (I can't be more specific because my partner is a goon :ninja:)

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
That way also works, or an obscured stat block in the equipment section or something. Most players won't read each other's sheets. It's just having two sheets that will tell them something is up.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

AreYouStillThere posted:

Every player has a secret, actually, but I don't think all of them are going to need two character sheets to keep it.

Sweet, now they all have an excuse to have decoder glasses, so nobody will suspect a thing! Because they'll all be able to read each others' sheets.

Plus, you all get to wear decoder glasses.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Really only works if the guy is good enough to act it out for others to suspect, make him wear a bluetooth and whisper voices into his head while he plays that or have them come across a stedding and see if they notice his sudden stat/usefulness drop. A mystery is only fun if it's possible to solve.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

AreYouStillThere posted:

I'm gearing up to start a new campaign, and I could really use some advice, or a friendly point in the right direction.

A little back story:

The setting is Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time. I am a huge nerd lord about it, and two of my players are too. The other two are SOs who only know the world and terminology in passing, but are willing to learn. Four players total. I have the Wheel of Time d20 source book that I'm half using and half doing whatever I want.

In general, I like campaigns with more role playing and puzzles, and less fighting, so this is a perfect setting. I've already told everyone that it is going to be highly political, and that information gathering/having and spying will be the majority of the game.

If you're familiar with the Wheel of Time, you know that male wizards (or channelers) generally try to hide who they are/what they can do, because otherwise they are liable to get lynched, or hunted down. It began with my partner deciding he wanted to "pretend" to be a nobleman class (kind of a lovely class on its own; has access to things like inspire troops, call favors, militia, not really hand to hand fighting, though. It's basically a bard) but ACTUALLY be a male channeler. I think this sounds SO RAD and I really want him to be able to keep it a secret as long as possible.

Do you have any recommendations for how we can manage this? I'm basically thinking two character sheets, one to have in front of everyone, and one he would consult in his notebook of what his REAL saving throws/stats/powers are. But I really don't want it to be obvious. I also don't want to have to do all his rolling for him, as what's the fun in that?

The important question is are you playing the setting before or after the cleansing because a player slowly going mad while the other players don't know WTF sounds cool as hell.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

I need help.

I'm in a 1st edition D&D game with rotating GM duties. Every few months when a major adventure arc concludes a new GM is picked and the story continues. It's not my favorite setup, but it hasn't been terrible so far. That said, I'm scheduled to go next and as of 3 weeks ago, the adventure we're currently in has turned to complete crap and I hate it. The current GM took our established low-magic fantasty setting and introduced space ships and light swords and we discovered that ancient aliens created life on this planet with a terraforming device and ~science~ and jesus gently caress, what are you doing to my D&D?

So now I have to take over next week and all I want to do is throw this entire universe into a well like a sack of unwanted kittens.

I'm at a total loss for how I deal with this poo poo without undoing all of the GMs work, even though I really want to. Does anyone have a decent ~fantasy~ way to explain all of this dumb bullshit? My first thought is that they hallucinated all of it. But that seems like a total cop out. Thoughts?

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

I'd get them on a space ship and have something cool happen but they have to escape pod out and that pod happens to crash land on a planet that just so happens to be in a perfect fantasy setting. the pod is obliterated and with no way of recharging those blasters and lightsabers it's back to swords and sorcery!

Or you could go with the whole "portal to another plane of existence that closes behind you" trope.

How are the other players responding to the sci-fi switcheroo? It sounds to me that the last GM really wants to play starwars RPG and he's set it up so that's what he can do. Just throwing them back to swords and magic is probably gonna piss this guy off.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Yeah, or just "you wake up on the cold stone floor of what can only be some kind of dungeon; robed figures, which don't seem to have noticed you yet, are whispering urgently that the potion appears to be wearing off far sooner than expected, should they alert the master?"

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

AceClown posted:

I'd get them on a space ship and have something cool happen but they have to escape pod out and that pod happens to crash land on a planet that just so happens to be in a perfect fantasy setting. the pod is obliterated and with no way of recharging those blasters and lightsabers it's back to swords and sorcery!

Or you could go with the whole "portal to another plane of existence that closes behind you" trope.

How are the other players responding to the sci-fi switcheroo? It sounds to me that the last GM really wants to play starwars RPG and he's set it up so that's what he can do. Just throwing them back to swords and magic is probably gonna piss this guy off.

Like AceClown says, you should probably guage the other players on this. If they are on board with "magic is actually technology too advanced to comprehend, and all of you were created by ancient aliens", I would roll with it. Maybe try and bend it in such a way that allows for a compromise back to the Fantasy zone?

Like, throw down some kind of haywire artifact in the world somewhere that tries to impose Axiomatic traits upon the world around it. It couldn't handle poo poo like magic and monsters, so it came up with an explanation of "aliens did it." Give the players the choice- they can make it stop, and everything will kind of snap back into Fantasy-land (only now it's spelljammer or something, since the aliens are already here), or they can let it keep doing its thing and deal with aliens trying to colonize their planet or whatever.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

AreYouStillThere posted:

A little back story:

It's funny, nothing about "more roleplaying" and "highly political" made me understand that the game was going to be openly adversarial. If that's what you want, John Wick's Play Dirty is full of advice, but personally I think roleplaying games are a not a natural format for that kind of play: the games are inherently cooperative, and it can be hard to get everyone's understanding of the appropriate degree of competition to match up. Your friends may be totally in sync on that, but you may also just think they are. "Don't split the party," as they say.

Personally, every time I've been part of a game where one player kept their character's "true nature" hidden from the other players, I've been bored and annoyed by it. Players have to be aware of a character's fatal secret before they can enjoy the drama and cleverness around keeping it, even and especially if it's being kept from their characters.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

The big plot point that people have a problem with is that when the spaceship landed on our planet 3 million years ago and started terraforming the Ancient Aliens also created the first races here, and ultimately created our Gods. The Dwarven Cleric in the party just said "Nope. Didn't happen." when that was revealed. I think the two other people in the party could go either way. And the current GM has actually laughed and said "I don't know how you explain all of this when it's your turn." So at least he realizes he's done something pretty dumb.

As of the end of our last session we set off some sort of chain reaction in the ship's power source and we're pretty sure the entire ship is going to be obliterated in the resulting explosion. So I'm just going to say that with the ship's power source gone, none of the energy weapons will work because they were linked to the ship's power. The PCs can then rationalize whatever other explanation they want about what we went through (it was clearly a failed plan of Fraz Urb'luu, demon lord of illusions and trickery, to sow the seeds of disbelief and chaos).

All in all, I think I'm just annoyed that I have to pick up the smoldering remains of what was once a fun campaign. There has been so much deus ex machina crammed into the last 3 months that it actually hurts my brain to think about. Everything from putting us up against impossible combat situations and then having gods come in and save us at the last minute, or killing all of us off in a combat that was very poorly designed and then resurrecting us in some unexplained way, to stripping us of all of our equipment and making us depend on insufferable, overpowered NPCs to handle all of our fights for us, and then ending with aliens. Before the current GM took over it was a very low magic campaign setting set in one small corner of the world. Things just spiraled out of control in all sorts of weird directions and I hate having to clean it all up.

deedee megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Mar 20, 2014

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Give the players a cathartic chance to get rid of the bullshit by punching it in face repeatedly. Make a campaign about bringing down the reptilian conspiracy (or whatever the aliens were), ending with their remnants retreating from the world in panic, taking their poo poo with them. Once in a blue moon, drop hints that the magic artifact #2314 the party just found might be some techy gizmo left behind - it shouldn't be a big deal and you'll better pretend that you're just continuing the story in a certain direction rather than just saying a big "gently caress you" to player's (admittedly lame) input.

And the creation myth turns out to be pure bullshit propaganda, one of numerous attempts at maintaining the invincible gods image to keep sheeples from getting funny ideas. Ramp up the big overwhelming conspiracy angle, then allow the heroes to find cracks in accepted truths, then use their wits and heroics to gradually undermine their secret hegemony. If done right, you'll make it feel like a cool twist rather than shameless retcon.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

If no one particularly liked it, pretend it didn't happen.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Rexides posted:

If no one particularly liked it, pretend it didn't happen.

Early d&d wasn't all ox carts and rats in cellars.

But if the Sci Fi stuff is lame then have the players blow up the core reactor or whatever then just handwave it to taste.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

HatfulOfHollow posted:

I'm in a 1st edition D&D game with rotating GM duties. Every few months when a major adventure arc concludes a new GM is picked and the story continues. It's not my favorite setup, but it hasn't been terrible so far. That said, I'm scheduled to go next and as of 3 weeks ago, the adventure we're currently in has turned to complete crap and I hate it. The current GM took our established low-magic fantasty setting and introduced space ships and light swords and we discovered that ancient aliens created life on this planet with a terraforming device and ~science~ and jesus gently caress, what are you doing to my D&D?

So now I have to take over next week and all I want to do is throw this entire universe into a well like a sack of unwanted kittens.

I'm at a total loss for how I deal with this poo poo without undoing all of the GMs work, even though I really want to. Does anyone have a decent ~fantasy~ way to explain all of this dumb bullshit? My first thought is that they hallucinated all of it. But that seems like a total cop out. Thoughts?

Talk about it like adults, god drat. If one GM shits on the setting, that doesn't mean the solution is to take another, bigger poo poo on top of theirs and hope yours doesn't smell so bad. It means that you need to agree as players what the boundaries of the rotating GM's creative license are and where you all want the setting to go, because clearly one of you thinks that throwing sci-fi plot twists in is awesome and the rest of you don't.

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

"Batman, Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne, Batman. Or have you met?"
My Mass Effect group has found themselves in a war between the gangs of Omega and Cerberus. What's the best way to handle a near full-scale war (and a full-scale one while we're at it) that isn't just them fighting hordes of people on the front lines? Should I just have them dropping in to take out a prime target or what?

crowtribe
Apr 2, 2013

I'm noice, therefore I am.
Grimey Drawer
Disrupt supply lines, sabotage war equipment, direct troop movements (kinda like Total War, in a Rock-Paper-Scissors scenario) and daring prisoner rescues.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Yeah, treat the PCs like a special ops team, not a front-lines grunt. Sneak behind enemy lines. Steal information. Assassinate enemy leaders. Blow up key defenses. Set up traps and ambushes where they're not expected. At worst have them hold off waves of troops for a while so a VIP can evacuate or another group can re-position.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Cant Ride A Bus posted:

My Mass Effect group has found themselves in a war between the gangs of Omega and Cerberus. What's the best way to handle a near full-scale war (and a full-scale one while we're at it) that isn't just them fighting hordes of people on the front lines? Should I just have them dropping in to take out a prime target or what?

Have them be a spec-ops team like the guys above me said, or if they're in a large combat, just describe the action going on around them and have them take down a few key enemies (like a captain with some random mooks and specialists thrown in) after which the enemies have to pull back. I recently had a game of Dungeon World where my players invaded a lizardman city with an army of elves and most of the large battle was in the fiction: on a 7-9 roll, they got surrounded or lost track of each other, a random enemy bashed one of them, a friendly soldier blocks their path while he's dueling some mooks, a musket going off next to their heads rings their ears, that sort of stuff. But they never fought the 5000 lizardmen soldiers directly.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Yeah, if you do a battle scene treat most combatants as obstacles (and possible spawn points I suppose) and focus on a particular slice of it, giving the players a particular task (infiltrate and blow up the Death Star!) that'll turn the rest of the battle.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Combine the special-ops stuff with pivotal moments in the fate of worlds. If they succeed, the action is a decisive blow for their side. If they fail, they lose the world and will have to win at least one other world over before they can infiltrate and try again.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora

Whybird posted:

Talk about it like adults, god drat. If one GM shits on the setting, that doesn't mean the solution is to take another, bigger poo poo on top of theirs and hope yours doesn't smell so bad. It means that you need to agree as players what the boundaries of the rotating GM's creative license are and where you all want the setting to go, because clearly one of you thinks that throwing sci-fi plot twists in is awesome and the rest of you don't.

The GM Advice Thread: Talk about it like adults, god drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

deadly_pudding posted:

Like AceClown says, you should probably guage the other players on this. If they are on board with "magic is actually technology too advanced to comprehend, and all of you were created by ancient aliens", I would roll with it. Maybe try and bend it in such a way that allows for a compromise back to the Fantasy zone?
Pff, go the Might and Magic route. There's magic and poo poo, and ALSO sci-fi and spaceships.

Lynx Winters posted:

The GM Advice Thread: Talk about it like adults, god drat.
This should seriously be the title since it's so often the correct advice for a situation. We really don't know enough about your group to say what to do with things.

(The aliens being responsible for the gods is dumb though)