Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IUG
Jul 14, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

My biggest problem with X3 is the whole Cure For Mutants thing. Even if you ignore the whole allegory angle of mutants, its still disturbing based on "You need to change who you are to fit in with everyone else" kind of message.

This is a reoccurring thing in the comics, it's not even new to the movie. You have stuff like "No More Mutants" and some of them being happy that they're not longer a mutant, and that's within the last decade. Hell, how many times in the comics does Rouge alone want to have her powers taken away?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

IUG posted:

This is a reoccurring thing in the comics, it's not even new to the movie. You have stuff like "No More Mutants" and some of them being happy that they're not longer a mutant, and that's within the last decade. Hell, how many times in the comics does Rouge alone want to have her powers taken away?

Every time she speaks in a Chris Claremont comic

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The biggest problem is that they tried to do way too much. There are like 4-5 plotlines in a film that's not that long, and none of them are handled well. I also have no idea why they felt the need to put Angel in the film at all.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

bobkatt013 posted:

They then reveal it does not work. The cure was just like pray the gay away programs.

You're giving the movie so much more credit than it deserves. Magneto starts getting his powers back because he's Magneto and they need him in upcoming movies, not because the cure was a placebo all along.

FlamingLiberal posted:

The biggest problem is that they tried to do way too much. There are like 4-5 plotlines in a film that's not that long, and none of them are handled well. I also have no idea why they felt the need to put Angel in the film at all.

Wasn't the actor who played Angel one of the producer's kids or something?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

Wasn't the actor who played Angel one of the producer's kids or something?

I don't think so, Angel was played by Ben Foster in one of his earliest "big" roles.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Captain America 3
May 6, 2016

Which is a direct shot at WB/DC as that's their planned date for Batman/Superman.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
Sooo, anyone else hear a rumour that (MASSIVE cap spoiler) Winter Soldier is signed up for 9 more marvel movies? http://io9.com/why-is-buckys-movie-contract-so-much-bigger-than-capta-1543322944

prezbuluskey
Jul 23, 2007
A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.

Goffer posted:

Sooo, anyone else hear a rumour that (MASSIVE cap spoiler) Winter Soldier is signed up for 9 more marvel movies? http://io9.com/why-is-buckys-movie-contract-so-much-bigger-than-capta-1543322944

I could see all of this happening.

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

prezbuluskey posted:

I could see all of this happening.

They are introducing Crossbones and Sharon Carter in Cap 2, right? I'm game for a Death of Captain America story. Maybe Cap 2 will be what they use to disillusion him and send him on the run if they're not up for Civil War?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

muscles like this? posted:

Captain America 3
May 6, 2016

Which is a direct shot at WB/DC as that's their planned date for Batman/Superman.

If Cap 2 is really as good as the early hype is giving it, WB will probably back off that spot.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Codependent Poster posted:

If Cap 2 is really as good as the early hype is giving it, WB will probably back off that spot.

I read that they already have and are moving BvS a week earlier.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Goffer posted:

AFAIK, those contracts are standard business for most of the MCU players other than Downey, Hemsworth, and Evans. It doesn't mean that they have plans to cast him in anywhere near seven more films, just that they want to make sure they have dibs on him for a while should they decide to use him.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Barry Convex posted:

AFAIK, those contracts are standard business for most of the MCU players other than Downey, Hemsworth, and Evans. It doesn't mean that they have plans to cast him in anywhere near seven more films, just that they want to make sure they have dibs on him for a while should they decide to use him.

Evans did an interview where he said he's under contract for six movies, and he plans to be in six. I'm assuming that's three stand alones and three Avengers. He also said his Thor cameo didn't count.

I wonder how these actors feel when they get cast as superheroes. I mean, I know they think "Haha I'm loving set for life", but I wonder how it feels to fully suit up and look in the mirror and think "I'm goddamn Captain America".

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

zoux posted:

I wonder how these actors feel when they get cast as superheroes. I mean, I know they think "Haha I'm loving set for life", but I wonder how it feels to fully suit up and look in the mirror and think "I'm goddamn Captain America".

The answer to both should be "loving awesome".

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

IUG posted:

See Hugh Jackman

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

IUG posted:

Yeah but then you have Tom Welling...

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

zoux posted:

Yeah but then you have Tom Welling...

Nuh-uh, he never suited up :colbert:

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
"Yeah, I played Superman for 10 years!"

"Cool, can I see a pic of you in the suit? I've never seen one!"

"Uh..."

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Hakkesshu posted:

I don't think it'd be getting such hate if Arrow wasn't on. I think it's a perfectly fine show that started out boring, but has steadily improved. Still isn't great, though.

I didn't understand the SHIELD hate until I watched more Arrow. Now I get it and I'm a totaly Marvel/ Whedon Fanboy. Arrow is just so good.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

NarkyBark posted:

"Yeah, I played Superman The Blur for 10 years!"

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
No, Tim Thomerson played The Blur for a few commercials back in the 90s.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-ih_ez22Vk

Hakkesshu posted:

Kelsey Grammer as Beast is also an inspired choice. There is some good in that film, but christ the bad parts are truly awful.

X3 is a film I pretty much did a huge rant on about how there is a better film in there than what we got with a few relatively minor plot changes. At the same time, I defend it quite a bit that it's not completely horrible or the worst superhero movie out there, there are a lot of really good moments to it. However, I think there was an instant hatred of it because it wasn't Singer's which wasn't helped by the number of bad choices made in the film, too.

I mean, it makes a lot more sense to have Magneto keep Mystique with him after the Cure. Despite the fact she's no longer a mutant, he has to be aware that it's potentially a treatable or temporary condition and they have history together. Also, she's a valuable TOOL as a cured mutant. She's a figure he can trot out to his followers as something they all have to look forward to. A constant reminder of what they stand to lose.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

zoux posted:

Evans did an interview where he said he's under contract for six movies, and he plans to be in six. I'm assuming that's three stand alones and three Avengers. He also said his Thor cameo didn't count.

Stephen Amell definitely went with the latter.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

JediTalentAgent posted:

However, I think there was an instant hatred of it because it wasn't Singer's

I don't think most people who saw X3 could even tell you it was a different director, and guess what, they hated it too.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Dacap posted:

I read that they already have and are moving BvS a week earlier.

Makes sense. Everything I've seen so far from Cap 2 looks goddamn amazing. All the buzz surrounding it has been super positive too, so WB/DC cowering back from that date is to be expected.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Here's an X1 question: One of the big rumors that came out as the film was in theaters was that Fox cut 40 minutes from the finished film. Was that 40 minutes of actual filmed footage, or was that 40 minutes of movie that was never filmed?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Goffer posted:

Does this mean they're going to do Civil War then? How the hell is that going to work with the franchises split between companies?

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

PLANES CURE TOWERS posted:

Does this mean they're going to do Civil War then? How the hell is that going to work with the franchises split between companies?

Unspoiled because it's removed enough from the original topic...

It would work the best way. Instead of Pro/Anti Registration, it would be Fox Vs Disney. And they would be fighting for just as well-defined reasons.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Captain America vs Iron Man are the only essential players for a Civil War movie.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

PLANES CURE TOWERS posted:

If Marvel has the balls to do Civil War, kill off Chris Evans, and make Sebastian the new Cap, that would be amazing.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

WickedHate posted:

Captain America vs Iron Man are the only essential players for a Civil War movie.

I think they would benefit from having a younger, Spider-Man type hero as well.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Metal Loaf posted:

I think they would benefit from having a younger, Spider-Man type hero as well.

Maybe Quicksilver will fill that role.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Nova would fit that bill. I'm honestly surprised there aren't serious talks about a Nova movie yet. I bet we'll hear rumblings if Guardians is a success.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

They aren't going to ever do Civil War because 1) one of the heroes would have to be a bad guy 2) You'd have to try and have people side with Chris Evans over Downey Jr which would never happen and ignoring part 2) Downey has Avengers 2 and 3 left on his contract and that's it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Apparently Chris Evans has been pretty upfront that he's going to ride his contract out (which is Avengers 2, Cap 3 and Avengers 3) and that's it for him.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Not surprising since Evans is a guy who treats acting as just A Job. I'd be curious to know if he even likes playing Captain America.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

I'm sure he doesn't hate it but he did turn the role down multiple times and they had to throw more money at him because of the ridiculously poo poo contracts they offer people. So that basically means Downey Jr, Evans and Hemsworth are all just riding things out until Avengers 3 where Marvel will have to start with a new slate or desperately hope Ant Man takes off.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'd wager its more how exhausting the schedule is since you're pretty much constantly making movies for Marvel. He's going from Cap 2 to Avengers 2 to Cap 3 to Avengers 3 in the span of something like 3 years.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

muscles like this? posted:

I'd wager its more how exhausting the schedule is since you're pretty much constantly making movies for Marvel. He's going from Cap 2 to Avengers 2 to Cap 3 to Avengers 3 in the span of something like 3 years.

I'm kind of remember reading or watching an interview with Evans saying he wasn't really keen on being put in the limelight of an establishing franchise. He basically said something along the lines of not being able to cope with the fame for that long or something. Maybe he was joking, no idea.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

teagone posted:

I'm kind of remember reading or watching an interview with Evans saying he wasn't really keen on being put in the limelight of an establishing franchise. He basically said something along the lines of not being able to cope with the fame for that long or something. Maybe he was joking, no idea.

He's just getting into character :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll

Waterhaul posted:

So that basically means Downey Jr, Evans and Hemsworth are all just riding things out until Avengers 3 where Marvel will have to start with a new slate or desperately hope Ant Man takes off.

Heroes Reborn

• Locked thread