Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
re: Please Vote For Me

Partycat posted:

This was certainly interesting from some standpoint, but it was basically some kids having a class election in a school?

Yes, but they were acting in some really insane, sociopath level scheming ways, I thought. It was pretty bizarre and definitely entertaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I went into Fist of the North Star expecting literally nothing, and it's actually really good? I mean it's obviously campy and trashy, but it's good some pretty awesome production design, and stays true to the anime at least in the sense that it's giant muscular male models punching each other into spraying bags of viscera and gore.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Wait, the 90s one? With Downtown Julie Brown?

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

a foolish pianist posted:

Wait, the 90s one? With Downtown Julie Brown?

That's the one.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

Wilhelm Scream posted:

I like Hulu Plus, the Criterion stuff is great and I really don't mind the commercials since they total to about 1 commercial break on actual TV.

Some movies have a poo poo ton of them though, stay away from Grosse Point Blank.

I've never once had an ad during a critereon movie on Hulu Plus?

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Slackerish posted:

I've never once had an ad during a critereon movie on Hulu Plus?

The Criterion stuff is ad-free, I think he was talking about how the ad breaks on other programming are much shorter than the ad breaks on broadcast television.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

precision posted:

re: Please Vote For Me

Yes, but they were acting in some really insane, sociopath level scheming ways, I thought. It was pretty bizarre and definitely entertaining.

Not to mention the irony of a corrupt system of democracy in a pseudo-communist country. Seriously, the political subtext was hilarious.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Orange Sunshine posted:

I was considering signing up for Hulu Plus, and then decided to first check out Netflix and see how the streaming content compared to what's available for Hulu. But apparently Netflix requires you to sign up for a free month before you actually find out what's available on the website. It's a website with some unknown number of movies and tv shows, which you might possibly like, and you have to give a credit card to even find out what they are.

I can't think of a single other website which requires you to give a credit number to find out what the website is actually selling.

Don't a lot of online "video" sites hide their content behind a paywall? :v:

I think the last time I did the trial (a few years ago), I signed up for it, canceled my payment info right away, and it let me ride out the rest of the month from when I signed up.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009
Didn't Netflix just introduce a plan where you can browse their entire selection for $5 a month?

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

foodfight posted:

Didn't Netflix just introduce a plan where you can browse their entire selection for $5 a month?

Are you talking about the Browse Endlessly Plan? What a bargain!

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

foodfight posted:

Yeah, they did.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009

Slate Action posted:

Are you talking about the Browse Endlessly Plan?

Yes, that was the joke.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Sarchasm posted:

The Criterion stuff is ad-free, I think he was talking about how the ad breaks on other programming are much shorter than the ad breaks on broadcast television.

Yeah, this is what I meant, should've been clearer, sorry about that.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

sector_corrector posted:

I went into Fist of the North Star expecting literally nothing, and it's actually really good? I mean it's obviously campy and trashy, but it's good some pretty awesome production design, and stays true to the anime at least in the sense that it's giant muscular male models punching each other into spraying bags of viscera and gore.

It really is. It knows exactly what it is, and doesn't try to be anything else. Although, I don't know if it would have been nearly as entertaining without Chris Penn gnawing on the scenery and having a grand ol' time doing it.

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
My other, other car is a centipede filled with vaginas.

Sarchasm posted:

I don't think I could ever stomach for paying for hulu. I don't know if it's still as bad but my entire experience with them was trying to watch an episode of Rick Steves' Europe. There was a 20 second ad before it started, then you got the themesong and him telling you where he was followed by 30 seconds of commercials and finally it came back for the brief overview of the things you'd see on the (30 minute) episode followed by 45 seconds of ads. By that point there had seriously been twice as much time devoted to ads than the actual show. I really don't know how they're still in business- I guess the access to current network shows or something but I'll sometimes watch stuff on crackle and it's completely free and has less intrusive ads.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
I mainly pay for Hulu Plus so I can stream on other devices. It's nice to be able to watch their content on my iPad while doing dishes, or on my TV so I can use the PC for other things. (Note: I also have Netflix and Amazon Prime, for variety of content, and all together its still a fraction of the cost of cable TV).

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Lincoln`s Wax posted:

I don't think I could ever stomach for paying for hulu. I don't know if it's still as bad but my entire experience with them was trying to watch an episode of Rick Steves' Europe. There was a 20 second ad before it started, then you got the themesong and him telling you where he was followed by 30 seconds of commercials and finally it came back for the brief overview of the things you'd see on the (30 minute) episode followed by 45 seconds of ads. By that point there had seriously been twice as much time devoted to ads than the actual show. I really don't know how they're still in business- I guess the access to current network shows or something but I'll sometimes watch stuff on crackle and it's completely free and has less intrusive ads.

Most of the shows on Hulu aren't that bad. Sometimes all the ads will be at the start the show, so the rest of the show will play through uninterrupted. It seems like it might be up to the content provider or the advertiser how the ads are distributed. I remember for a month or so Propel, I think, would have a little 5 second spot before the show started and that would be only ad.

I don't really mind Hulu since they'll have a lot of current run stuff up the next day, and I'd rather not shell out the money for cable just to watch the 2 or 3 shows I care about.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
So I just watched The History of Future Folk. It suffers a little bit from being a precious twee indie movie (it's about two guys who are sent to Earth and decide not to destroy it because they start a folk band) but it has Dee Snyder as a club owner and is pretty funny and quirky. It's about as good as say Safety Not Guaranteed, if you liked that I think you'd like this.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
If you ever thought Scream was painfully meta (and I like that movie), Scream 2 is goddamn ridiculous.

edit: but I do kind of love that Jackie from Roseanne was cast as a serial killer.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
Just got done watching Starship Troopers: Invasion and it is just okay. I went into it not knowing that it was CG which I guess after Marauder makes it a step up in production values. I liked it overall but it has the Final Fantasy hair and face thing going on that South Korean studios do that drives me nuts. I really like the trooper armor redesign even if it is just a blatant ODST/Spartan armor from Halo ripoff.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
Can some one give me a clue. If you have a PS3 with amazom prime, what the hell is the show thats under Prime Instant video and the tab of TV: Editors picks. Shows some blond dude in what seems to be a medevil show but I can never find it when I go into editors picks and I am a sucker for brain dead swords and sandals/sorcery/stuff.

bartok
May 10, 2006

The first half of Season 2 of Comedy Bang! Bang! is up on Netflix. Some favorites from the podcast show up like a certain cowboy poet and
a chandelier obsessed Broadway composer.

Darth Freddy posted:

Can some one give me a clue. If you have a PS3 with amazom prime, what the hell is the show thats under Prime Instant video and the tab of TV: Editors picks. Shows some blond dude in what seems to be a medevil show but I can never find it when I go into editors picks and I am a sucker for brain dead swords and sandals/sorcery/stuff.

I think it might be the show Vikings. Haven't watched it but I have heard good things about it.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Neo Helbeast posted:

Just got done watching Starship Troopers: Invasion and it is just okay. I went into it not knowing that it was CG which I guess after Marauder makes it a step up in production values. I liked it overall but it has the Final Fantasy hair and face thing going on that South Korean studios do that drives me nuts. I really like the trooper armor redesign even if it is just a blatant ODST/Spartan armor from Halo ripoff.

Doubtful it will ever happen, though, but I'd really be up for watching the old 80s anime version of Starship Troopers if it ever became available. I ended up watching a few episodes on Youtube but since it wasn't in English I think I was only able to keep up with it mainly from knowing the story from the original book/movie.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

I just tried to watch The Brothers Grimm and it's 4:3 instead of 16:9. I've seen this in a couple other movies too, why would Netflix have the wrong aspect ratio up?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Dacap posted:

I just tried to watch The Brothers Grimm and it's 4:3 instead of 16:9. I've seen this in a couple other movies too, why would Netflix have the wrong aspect ratio up?

Probably just what the studio provided them with.

Although you're probably not missing much. I love me some Gilliam, but Brothers Grimm was just ten kinds of awful.

Bloody Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Mar 16, 2014

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Humanoids from the Deep - Wow. Mutant humanoid coelacanths murder men and rape women. Slock that delivers. More shameless nudity than I've seen from most creature features. Amusingly, the soundtrack was done by James Horner and it sounds like a first-draft of the Aliens score.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Nightmare City was just added so if you want some really cheesy Italian zombie horror check it out.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Antiviral has been up for a long time, but I just got around to watching it and it's pretty good. As a bit of a hypochondriac, it made me feel uneasy, especially the first half. In the second half it unfortunately turns into a bit more standard thriller fare, where you have the "somebody's out to get me, I have to find out the truth" storyline which isn't nearly as interesting as getting to know the lead character and the company he works for. Watching it without knowing anything about it, and slowly realizing what the hell is going on is something I'd recommend. The lead does a great job of creeping up the whole movie and making it even more unsettling.

Also I found a much better poster than what they're using on Netflix:

gah

Khorne Flakes posted:

I just finished Blue Is The Warmest Color and I am still trying to process it all. I had been debating watching this for the past week as I was slightly put off by the NC-17 rating. I've always felt movies that get pushed into the NC-17 rating seem to stray away from story telling and focus more on the shock value of the rating. Blue is the Warmest Color never seems to stray off from it's goal on telling a powerful love story though. I had read reviews before watching it and feel my view of it might be slightly skewed, but the first half does seem to carry it's self stronger than the second half. None the less, it is worth three hours of your life, some of the best acting and story telling I have watched in a very long time.
This was incredible. For such a long movie it's completely engrossing, even in the scenes where there isn't much going on on the surface, there's still so much to soak in. The lead actor gives a next level performance, just watching her sit down wordlessly eating with her family you feel you know a lot about the character.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Just watched the director's cut of Das Boot and drat is it fantastic. It's 3.5 hours long but never drags on, in fact you will be on the edge of your seat for most of it.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

sector_corrector posted:

Clint Howard does a great job playing Splinter from Ninja Turtles in that.

Possible trick question: Is there a Christian Slater movie on Netflix or possibly in the universe that is watchable? Yes, he does have to star in it.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Heathers.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

RightClickSaveAs posted:

-Blue is the Warmest Color-
This was incredible. For such a long movie it's completely engrossing, even in the scenes where there isn't much going on on the surface, there's still so much to soak in. The lead actor gives a next level performance, just watching her sit down wordlessly eating with her family you feel you know a lot about the character.

I watched it last Saturday, a week ago, and I still can not get it out of my head. Without a doubt my favorite movies this year, and possibly my favorite of all times.

Slandible fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Mar 16, 2014

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Junkie Disease posted:

Clint Howard does a great job playing Splinter from Ninja Turtles in that.

Possible trick question: Is there a Christian Slater movie on Netflix or possibly in the universe that is watchable? Yes, he does have to star in it.

It isn't on Netflix, but True Romance is pretty great and I'm pretty sure that it exists in the Universe.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

I watched The Act of Killing last night, and although I enjoyed most of it, I am not sure it was as amazing as people made it out to be. I found the production of the movie these "gangsters" were making to not be all that interesting, but found more of the personal questions and having them visit the sites more insightful. These men are absolute monsters, what they did is almost incomprehensible at times, you have to believe there is no way humans could be this disconnected from civilization without some sort of remorse or demons haunting them. One of them toward the end does seem to be struggling with nightmares and has a bit more sink in when he watch's the scene in the movie were he played the torture victim. The end scene with him sounding like he is going to puke himself to death is the only bit of redemption we get from these monsters. I don't think it was a bad movie at all, but I think I would have preferred more interviews from them and visiting back on old events rather than the low budget movie they tried to make, still worth a watch to understand the minds of mass murdering psychopaths.

Also, gently caress Indonesia. What a horribly corrupt country with no hope insight. The one fat guy with almost no education trying to run for office simply so he can steal money from business and make himself wealthy was beyond disgusting.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Khorne Flakes posted:

I watched The Act of Killing last night, and although I enjoyed most of it, I am not sure it was as amazing as people made it out to be. I found the production of the movie these "gangsters" were making to not be all that interesting, but found more of the personal questions and having them visit the sites more insightful.

One feeds directly into the other. Their treatment of the source material is your insight into how they view those events.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
I just watched The Tick and it still holds up really well. Someone should really bring this show back, now that genre television is a little more viable.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Khorne Flakes posted:

I watched The Act of Killing last night, and although I enjoyed most of it, I am not sure it was as amazing as people made it out to be. I found the production of the movie these "gangsters" were making to not be all that interesting, but found more of the personal questions and having them visit the sites more insightful. These men are absolute monsters, what they did is almost incomprehensible at times, you have to believe there is no way humans could be this disconnected from civilization without some sort of remorse or demons haunting them. One of them toward the end does seem to be struggling with nightmares and has a bit more sink in when he watch's the scene in the movie were he played the torture victim. The end scene with him sounding like he is going to puke himself to death is the only bit of redemption we get from these monsters. I don't think it was a bad movie at all, but I think I would have preferred more interviews from them and visiting back on old events rather than the low budget movie they tried to make, still worth a watch to understand the minds of mass murdering psychopaths.

Also, gently caress Indonesia. What a horribly corrupt country with no hope insight. The one fat guy with almost no education trying to run for office simply so he can steal money from business and make himself wealthy was beyond disgusting.

After reading up on East Timor and how Indonesia handled its occupation of it. Its pretty frightening.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Sarchasm posted:

One feeds directly into the other. Their treatment of the source material is your insight into how they view those events.

Exactly. This was the way these people were capable of framing the events. They're that hosed up.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Sarchasm posted:

No genocide without poetry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

surc posted:

I'm looking for some recommendations. I've been on a Segal-ian thriller kick, watching a bunch of movies about dudes who have secret pasts and they're not saying they were in black ops... but they were in black ops. (And now they have to be a badass because terrible thing happened/person got kidnapped).

This has involved most of the Jason Statham movies on there, Largo Winch, In Bruges, and I just watched "The Man from Nowhere" (Which was fantastic). I'm also looking for heist movies, I recently re-watched The Usual Suspects, Ronin, and the modern Italian Job. If the Italian Job doesn't indicate it already, they don't need to be cinematic masterpieces, I just want excitement and badass fights and/or thievery. If anybody's got suggestions, I would appreciate it!

Edit: To give a little more information on what I'm looking for, I also enjoyed the Run Down quite a lot (although I don't think it's on netflix) and consider that under the same umbrella, and am not looking for stuff as pure everybody-is-in-misery as stuff like Oldboy. I guess "Crime Adventure" movies might be a better way for me to put it.

Hard Target starring JCVD fits your initial request to a T, but sadly does not appear to be on US Netflix anymore.

• Locked thread