Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011

Twerk from Home posted:

I'd let it go for $1600. It's not in bad shape overall and just a little bit of money and work from being a solid, somewhat old bike. Fork seals are new, just got a new battery for this season a couple weeks ago. The carbs are bitchy from some neglect during its long life and it doesn't start awesome, but runs well when warm.

Really though, I think if I were you I'd find something more like this:
http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/mcy/4353772086.html

I'd highly recommend an SV650 with full handlebars and an upgraded front fork from a GSXR, and the time and expense of getting something from Houston to San Marcos makes Austin or San Antonio bikes more appealing.

Expense isn't relevant to me. It's just gas and I drive a Honda Civic.

Also I've noticed at least one person mentioning "the track" and it's worth noting that I don't attend track days. I use my bikes for pleasure riding and commuting, so I don't require something that can put out all the power all the time.

That being said, I'm not going to complain about going 0-60 in like 3 seconds flat or anything if it falls in the budget.

Edit: As for the budget, I'm staring at 2300 dollars right now. I can pad that up to around 2700 by the months end. Part of me wants to bike now and try to talk down the price of stuff and the other wants to be patient.

The patient part of my mind is not winning.

ArbitraryTA fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Mar 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

ArbitraryTA posted:

Expense isn't relevant to me. It's just gas and I drive a Honda Civic.

Also I've noticed at least one person mentioning "the track" and it's worth noting that I don't attend track days. I use my bikes for pleasure riding and commuting, so I don't require something that can put out all the power all the time.

That being said, I'm not going to complain about going 0-60 in like 3 seconds flat or anything if it falls in the budget.

Edit: As for the budget, I'm staring at 2300 dollars right now. I can pad that up to around 2700 by the months end. Part of me wants to bike now and try to talk down the price of stuff and the other wants to be patient.

The patient part of my mind is not winning.

Re: The Track. You don't need something that puts out power, it's just a controlled zone that you can put out all the power your bike has, and not get in trouble for doing so. Many people will say that riding a slow bike on track is better than a fast one :science:

Any bike will be track capable, but will it be fun? That's a whole other can of worms.

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011
So would a YZF600r be a good idea?

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/mcy/4367797877.html

Assuming the title is good and it's not going to fall to pieces it looks to be a good deal.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I'm a fan of the YZF Thundercat as a streetbike.

That being said I don't think black was a color for '05 so either it's an '06 or it's been repainted / down. The tacky Monster graphics are definitely not stock, and neither is the muffler.

Here's a buying guide I found that might help:
http://www.ebay.com/gds/Yamaha-Thundercat-YZF600R-Guide-to-buying-Servicing-/10000000002245488/g.html

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011

Snowdens Secret posted:

I'm a fan of the YZF Thundercat as a streetbike.

That being said I don't think black was a color for '05 so either it's an '06 or it's been repainted / down. The tacky Monster graphics are definitely not stock, and neither is the muffler.

Here's a buying guide I found that might help:
http://www.ebay.com/gds/Yamaha-Thundercat-YZF600R-Guide-to-buying-Servicing-/10000000002245488/g.html

Bike apparently has a salvage title, but the guy swears it was repaired and restored to working order as of two-three weeks ago.

Also the bike is in Florida. No idea how it migrated to a San Antonio craigslist :v:

Edit: Found three more that might be worth looking into.

http://waco.craigslist.org/mcy/4366818931.html This one is 10 minutes north of Waco. 2 hour drive for me, he priced it down a bit from KBB value as the bike was blown over in high winds and has minor cosmetic damage. Looking at the pictures I don't see any cracks in the fairings or anything and the displacement seems good for a beginner bike.

http://killeen.craigslist.org/mcy/4369040463.html This one seems interesting if a bit old. I don't know much about Suzuki beyond "They make good biek" so any opinions or experiences here would be nice.
http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/mcy/4351583614.html <-- Another Katana, this one is an '06 instead of an '02 and was put up two weeks ago.

ArbitraryTA fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Mar 11, 2014

GGPCin
Oct 19, 2004
College Slice
I own a '77 bonneville, an '04 KTM 625 and just put down the entire price for the new Ducati Monster, I hate money and these bikes will bankrupt me.

I wouldn't change a thing.

GGPCin fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Mar 12, 2014

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011
Fair enough.

Also, I think I'm pretty much done with my craigslist search, I found a nice looking 2001 SV650S http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/4362820719.html and went over a bunch of stuff with the guy. The tank is dented but he's pretty much offered to let me dismantle the thing and inspect each part of the vehicle individually to assure me that it's running well. Going to be taking a look at it tomorrow since there's 35 MPH winds today and I'd rather not test drive an unfamiliar fully faired street bike in high winds.

Anyone have any opinions on the bike though? I'm pretty set on getting it otherwise since it seems to be coming in at a good price.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Seems a bit high for a beat up SV650, but otherwise fine. Nice list of mods, bike shouldn't have most of hte SV handling issues.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Z3n posted:

Seems a bit high for a beat up SV650, but otherwise fine. Nice list of mods, bike shouldn't have most of hte SV handling issues.

Why go so old? You could wait a bit and find a way more modern SV for just a bit more than his 2k asking price.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

ArbitraryTA posted:

Fair enough.

Also, I think I'm pretty much done with my craigslist search, I found a nice looking 2001 SV650S http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/4362820719.html and went over a bunch of stuff with the guy. The tank is dented but he's pretty much offered to let me dismantle the thing and inspect each part of the vehicle individually to assure me that it's running well. Going to be taking a look at it tomorrow since there's 35 MPH winds today and I'd rather not test drive an unfamiliar fully faired street bike in high winds.

Anyone have any opinions on the bike though? I'm pretty set on getting it otherwise since it seems to be coming in at a good price.

The main complaint about the SV650S in general is that it's cramped. By your post history you're 5'5" so this should be less of an issue, but be sure to sit on it / preferably ride around the block a little to see if you like the rider triangle. I'd prefer something more upright with bars for in-city riding but that's up to you.

That particular SV - well, it's very obviously been down, but you know that. Make sure the forks are straight and if you ride it, make sure it rides straight without excessive inputs. Assume you're going to need to restore proper turn signals / brake lights to ride safe in town - you can probably get these cheap on an SV forum.

Two grand feels high considering the damage / lousy paint job on race fairings. It does have suspension updates - which might be for a rider of completely different weight than you. I'd negotiate without the gear as it sounds worthless.

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011

Snowdens Secret posted:

The main complaint about the SV650S in general is that it's cramped. By your post history you're 5'5" so this should be less of an issue, but be sure to sit on it / preferably ride around the block a little to see if you like the rider triangle. I'd prefer something more upright with bars for in-city riding but that's up to you.

That particular SV - well, it's very obviously been down, but you know that. Make sure the forks are straight and if you ride it, make sure it rides straight without excessive inputs. Assume you're going to need to restore proper turn signals / brake lights to ride safe in town - you can probably get these cheap on an SV forum.

Two grand feels high considering the damage / lousy paint job on race fairings. It does have suspension updates - which might be for a rider of completely different weight than you. I'd negotiate without the gear as it sounds worthless.

Yeah I was just going to tell him to keep the gear. His original asking price was 2000 but he tossed in the gear later and upped it to 2400 so 2k even without the gear. I have an extensive list that I found http://www.clarity.net/adam/buying-bike.html here that I'm pretty much going to go over before buying it, but if it's solid than it's solid. The paint color was kind of a non-issue for me since I was going to get whatever I got repainted anyways.

SaNChEzZ posted:

Why go so old? You could wait a bit and find a way more modern SV for just a bit more than his 2k asking price.

I am coming from the land of Harley-Davidson.

I don't understand what this "modern" thing is. You mean heritage right?

Nah seriously though, it is surprisingly hard to find decent bikes above 250cc around here that don't have some kind of pain in the rear end issue to deal with. If this is a solid bike, it's a good buy to me.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!

ArbitraryTA posted:

If this is a solid bike, it's a good buy to me.

That thing looks like a piece of junk and isin't worth more than $1500. I'd wait and go for an 03+ that is fuel injected and does not have the worlds worst rattlecan job.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Snowdens Secret posted:

I ride an SV650S and I'm around 5'5". I was actually pondering while riding into work yesterday if I could raise the footpegs up without also moving them back. The main issue is the bars still force a somewhat uncomfortable riding position and if I were shopping today I'd wait until I found one that isn't an S for commuting.

ArbitraryTA posted:

Nah seriously though, it is surprisingly hard to find decent bikes above 250cc around here that don't have some kind of pain in the rear end issue to deal with. If this is a solid bike, it's a good buy to me.

I'm not sure 2k is high, but I wouldn't buy that particular bike just because of the age/condition. I'd try to scrape up 2500 and you can find SV650s in Texas all the time that are newer so you get EFI and in much better condition. At least you could when I was looking, prices may be a little inflated because riding season is starting but it can't be that bad.

ETA: Also if you're a similar height to me that bike's going to feel pretty tall for you with the stiffer rear and 1 inch risers.

tbb9
Sep 6, 2011
http://delaware.craigslist.org/mcy/4362089610.html

05 sv650s 6,150miles $2800

How does this look, sorry I can't screenshot I'm posting from my phone

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010
I wish I was closer. I have a 2004 naked with around 5500 miles I'd like to get rid of. No mods other than a sergent seat and no issues other that 2 small dings on the tank and a scratched grab rail. I'd let it go for around 3000$.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

tbb9 posted:

http://delaware.craigslist.org/mcy/4362089610.html

05 sv650s 6,150miles $2800

How does this look, sorry I can't screenshot I'm posting from my phone

i paid about that much for my sv with more miles, in worse condition. Tires look good, chain/sprocket look good.

I say go for it, sv650s rule.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Get that now, it's a drat good deal! Fuel injected, half fairing for wind protection but still easy to work on, nice exhaust AFAIK.

Great deal.

tbb9
Sep 6, 2011

kenny powerzzz posted:

I wish I was closer. I have a 2004 naked with around 5500 miles I'd like to get rid of. No mods other than a sergent seat and no issues other that 2 small dings on the tank and a scratched grab rail. I'd let it go for around 3000$.

Where are you located? I'm actually in southern Nj.

And I'm trying to see the sv650s on Friday

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011
Alright, so if the last one is crap how does this bike look? It's newer, customer is the second owner and it was his first bike.

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/mcy/4348507904.html

He has maintenance records but the absolute lowest he's willing to go is 3k.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

ArbitraryTA posted:

Alright, so if the last one is crap how does this bike look? It's newer, customer is the second owner and it was his first bike.

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/mcy/4348507904.html

He has maintenance records but the absolute lowest he's willing to go is 3k.

That's reasonable, although the suspension could probably use some work, which would end up being a few hundred more. Also, I just realized on the first SV, the forks are jacked through the handlebars, you're probably going to want to lift those back up.

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011

Z3n posted:

That's reasonable, although the suspension could probably use some work, which would end up being a few hundred more. Also, I just realized on the first SV, the forks are jacked through the handlebars, you're probably going to want to lift those back up.

Alright there is also this

http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/4367817465.html

Apparently less than 5k miles on it. Assuming the gas isn't vinyl and the battery is good this seems like a -much- better deal for price.

Edit: Also are there any other decent bikes people can suggest aside from just SV650s? I feel like I'm kinda spamming the thread but I just don't know a lot bout street bikes.

ArbitraryTA fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Mar 13, 2014

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

ArbitraryTA posted:

Alright there is also this

http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/4367817465.html

Apparently less than 5k miles on it. Assuming the gas isn't vinyl and the battery is good this seems like a -much- better deal for price.

Edit: Also are there any other decent bikes people can suggest aside from just SV650s? I feel like I'm kinda spamming the thread but I just don't know a lot bout street bikes.

The SV is sort of a go-to because it's reliable, huge aftermarket, and lots of support. There are othe roptions, like the Honda 599, Bandit 600/1200, FZ6, FZ1, etc. I'd probably recommend an SV650N over an S model, if you can find one, but otherwise, they're pretty solid bikes all around which is why they get a lot of recommendations. If you buy one at a good enough deal you can resell it for what you're into it down the road once you've got hte experience to know which direction you'd like to go.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Buell Lighnings and Firebolts, Ducati Monsters, Yamaha FZwhatevers, Kawasaki ZRXs, Aprilia Tuonos, Harley Sportsters, and BMW RsomethingRs are good street bikes.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

clutchpuck posted:

Buell Lighnings and Firebolts, Ducati Monsters, Yamaha FZwhatevers, Kawasaki ZRXs, Aprilia Tuonos, Harley Sportsters, and BMW RsomethingRs are good street bikes.

I think pretty much all of these are bigger and heavier than what he's looking for. Or way more powerful, in the case of the Tuono. FZ6 and the smaller Monsters notwithstanding.

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011
Relative power is not that important to me though I'm beginning to feel I'm underestimating the importance of it. For use in commuting from one city to the next at highway speed what's the big difference between a 250 and a 650 on a street bike since both of these engine displacements can apparently maintain highway speed with little problem?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
The big difference is that while a 250 can handle highway speed with little problem, a 650 is going to do it with no problem whatsoever.

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011

clutchpuck posted:

The big difference is that while a 250 can handle highway speed with little problem, a 650 is going to do it with no problem whatsoever.

Fair enough. I guess I'm being a bit overconfident in the abilities of the smaller displacements.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

On a 250 you can get up to highway speeds and have a reasonable ability to change your speed, but you need to constantly maintain momentum because the acceleration at those sorts of speeds is so poor.

On a 650 you can roll on the throttle at highway speeds and accelerate at a decent clip if you need to.

It's like the difference between a car with a 1.0L engine and a 3.0L v6. They technically both reach highway speeds.

tbb9
Sep 6, 2011
well I bought that SV650s, it was just as good in person as it looked in the ad.

A bird poo poo on it on the way home when it was in bed of my truck, thats suppose to be good luck right?

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

tbb9 posted:

well I bought that SV650s, it was just as good in person as it looked in the ad.

A bird poo poo on it on the way home when it was in bed of my truck, thats suppose to be good luck right?

God damnit I was about to head over there this weekend. Good job. Hope it isnt stolen cause thats a stolen price.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Very nice. Prepare for mind-boggling power!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Very nice. Prepare for mind-boggling power!

Prepare for gentle warp speed!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Prepare for terrifying briskness!

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Damnit, all this SV chat is making me want one :(

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

tbb9 posted:

Where are you located? I'm actually in southern Nj.

And I'm trying to see the sv650s on Friday

Northeastern Ohio.

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011
So I have one I'm going to look at today. It's a lower price than most SVs and I'm gonna have a mechanic look at it before I buy it because it's been down, but if everything works out (aside from the fairing) it seems like a good deal.

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/mcy/4306241414.html

Plus due to the time it's been on market I can probably work down the price a remarkable amount.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

I'd like an SV as my next bike but I'd rather have faired, but don't want the S version.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I'd love a faired SV (seems like that's all that's cheaply available around me) if the fairing didn't look so tacked-on. :( It's like it's mounted six inches too far forward or something, I don't feel like it matches the aesthetic of the rest of the bike.

Fifty Three fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Mar 14, 2014

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011

Fifty Three posted:

I'd love a faired SV (seems like that's all that's cheaply available around me) if the fairing didn't look so tacked-on. :( It's like it's mounted size inches too far forward or something, I don't feel like it matches the aesthetic of the rest of the bike.

I thnk the SVs pre-2008 were only half-faired weren't they? So any fully faired ones are going to be add-ons before that year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Guess I don't know enough abouty SVs yet. v:shobon:v The SF actually looks pretty good. The lower fairing really helps balance the front and rear of the bike, for some reason. Too bad there aren't any cheap ones near me.