Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

your body relaxes and you revert to your natural and comfortable skeleton state

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk & Ugly
Feb 10, 2003

GIMME GIMME GIMME, DON'T ASK WHAT FOR
No I saw them hauling up "bodies" in bags in pictures from that french crash so something was left

Blob of clothing and bony material?

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Drunk & Ugly posted:

What happens to a body after a plane crash into the ocean like that? I mean I've seen the worst stuff on the net so I dont think a bloated plane crash victim would bother me, let alone what's left after 2 years in the ocean

must be one in some sort of academic paper or something

There won't be a drat thing left after a month, never mind 2 years.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Ka0 posted:

A reminder that the air france 447 investigation took over 2 years to find the flight recorders (and over a hundred missing passengers still strapped to their seats) about 14000 feet deep in the atlantic ridge.

Yeah but they found wreckage within 5 days so at least they can say you know this thing is at the bottom of the ocean

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Three Olives posted:

This is a Boeing specific service, I assume it's somewhat like car telematics where it comes with the car and even if you aren't subscribed to the service it's still checking in every so often to see if you subscribed.

Until there's a real source for that, I have a hard time believing it. If only because the HF radio transmissions themselves are capable of reaching Boeing just fine, and in fact they did right up until they didn't anymore.

The '4 hour' rumor first started as "Boeing got 4 hours of ACARS data after contact was lost", was almost immediately declared false by Boeing, and now has morphed into "no ACARS data received, but we got some satellite pings for 4 hours", but We can't source our source.

Ethan_Alan
Apr 8, 2008

I am threatened by non-violence
So in Farcry 3, you know how main bad guy (not Vaas, but the weird european guy) bribed a cruise ship captain to dock his boat on a private island, sold all the passengers into slavery, then blew up the cruise ship while listening to beethoven or something? I am convinced that is what happened to this plane.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

the skeletons are probably around for a while longer, they can't last forever because there weren't any skeletons on the titanic, but on the other hand, every pirate thing has skeleton pirates so they must take longer to decompose

aeternum
Sep 3, 2003

Drunk & Ugly posted:

What happens to a body after a plane crash into the ocean like that? I mean I've seen the worst stuff on the net so I dont think a bloated plane crash victim would bother me, let alone what's left after 2 years in the ocean

must be one in some sort of academic paper or something

it turns into a mermaid

suztan
Jul 4, 2012

Drunk & Ugly posted:

No I saw them hauling up "bodies" in bags in pictures from that french crash so something was left

Blob of clothing and bony material?

I remember the New York Times Magazine article from 2011 mentioned that the bodies were found mostly intact because of how far down the fuselage was. I can't remember the specific reason why though. The article gets into a lot of lurid details, like how :nms:the bodies were intact enough that they were still in the crash safety position, with fractures in their leg bones. :gonk::nms: It's pretty gnarly, you should totally read it.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
What happens to a body in the ocean? A japanese factory cruiser stumbles upon it and turns it into kanikama where it will find its final destination at some low-key hotel in hong-kong.

Drunk & Ugly
Feb 10, 2003

Also what happens to those dudes in submarines, I mean, what exactly is eating them if theyre in a sealed compartment or something

just bacteria I guess

and what happens to the string that guy mentioned

gently caress, questions

Drunk & Ugly
Feb 10, 2003

suztan posted:

I remember the New York Times Magazine article from 2011 mentioned that the bodies were found mostly intact because of how far down the fuselage was. I can't remember the specific reason why though. The article gets into a lot of lurid details, like how :nms:the bodies were intact enough that they were still in the crash safety position, with fractures in their leg bones. :gonk::nms: It's pretty gnarly, you should totally read it.

See, and you bitches giving me gruff and talkin mermaids

gently caress all ya'll, :hfive: suztan

quote:

He reached for a large projector on the table and flipped it on with a hum. The far wall lighted up, and we began viewing images from the autopsies. “We took pictures of everything,” Sarmento said, scrolling through pictures of watches, necklaces, earrings and rings, still clinging to blue-green wrists and necks. “We were able to make all of the identifications.” As the images flashed by, he added: “All the autopsies were observed by the French and by Interpol. Not one country, not one family, complained about the identifications.”

After a while, Sarmento flipped off the projector and pushed away from the table in his chair. “Ninety percent of the passengers had fractures in the arms and legs,” he said. “Many of them also had trauma in the chest, in the abdomen, in the cranium. We didn’t find anybody burned.” He leaned forward in his seat and wrapped his arms around his knees. “They were like this,” he said, holding the crash position and looking into my eyes. Then he sat up quickly and held his hand flat above the table. “When they hit,” he said, slamming it down, “fractures. I believe the pilot tried to land in the water. This is consistent with the fractures. But when the bodies arrived, the lungs were already in a state of decomposition. We didn’t have conditions to see if anyone drowned.”

This hung in the air for a moment as I considered what he was suggesting.

“So it’s possible that some of them were still alive?” I asked.

Sarmento nodded. “Most died on impact,” he said. “Some could have survived.”
Pretty amazing

Drunk & Ugly fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Mar 14, 2014

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

bobfather posted:

Until there's a real source for that, I have a hard time believing it. If only because the HF radio transmissions themselves are capable of reaching Boeing just fine, and in fact they did right up until they didn't anymore.

The '4 hour' rumor first started as "Boeing got 4 hours of ACARS data after contact was lost", was almost immediately declared false by Boeing, and now has morphed into "no ACARS data received, but we got some satellite pings for 4 hours", but We can't source our source.

When the AP or other major credible US news service says something like this "The U.S. official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because he wasn't authorized to discuss the situation by name" it is code for this was intentionally leaked by the US government through a credible known high level US source. "authorized by name", that is just the US diplomatically putting their two cents in without getting an official or department involved in a complicated international incident.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Three Olives posted:

When the AP or other major credible US news service says something like this "The U.S. official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because he wasn't authorized to discuss the situation by name" it is code for this was intentionally leaked by the US government through a credible known high level US source. "authorized by name", that is just the US diplomatically putting their two cents in without getting an official or department involved in a complicated international incident.

I know it's tempting to believe it to be true, but there has literally been 0, not one actual, verifiable fact published about this flight except that it's missing.

The news media will do anything for more eyeballs, up to and including saying that Boeing got 4 hours of ACARS transmissions after the last known contact, when Boeing themselves came forward and said that was not the case.

Now another news media organization is insisting that a plane with no functioning transponder and no capability to radio HF ACARS data was magically able to send 'pings' to a satellite for a service that the airline does not subscribe to. Fine, I'll allow it because maybe the radio comms are on a different system than the satcoms, so it's possible that a failure in one system might not effect the other. However, it's disregarding the fact that the service is operated by Boeing, who have already come forward and said "there was no ACARS data received after the last known contact". Both the HF and satellite transmissions are ACARS transmissions.

So 1) why would Boeing lie twice about this? And 2) why would any US official other than someone at Boeing (which is a private, not governmental organization) have anything to say about ACARS data relayed directly to Boeing?

bobfather fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Mar 14, 2014

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Ethan_Alan posted:

So in Farcry 3, you know how main bad guy (not Vaas, but the weird european guy) bribed a cruise ship captain to dock his boat on a private island, sold all the passengers into slavery, then blew up the cruise ship while listening to beethoven or something? I am convinced that is what happened to this plane.

how do the blood dragons fit into this?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

bobfather posted:

So 1) why would Boeing lie twice about this? And 2) why would any US official other than someone at Boeing (which is a private, not governmental organization) have anything to say about ACARS data relayed directly to Boeing?

Is this the same Boeing that is the second largest US defense contractor that is routinely involved in highly classified government projects that finds itself in the middle of an international incident involving China and several other major Asian countries?

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

bobfather posted:

I know it's tempting to believe it to be true, but there has literally been 0, not one actual, verifiable fact published about this flight except that it's missing.

The news media will do anything for more eyeballs, up to and including saying that Boeing got 4 hours of ACARS transmissions after the last known contact, when Boeing themselves came forward and said that was not the case.

Now another news media organization is insisting that a plane with no functioning transponder and no capability to radio HF ACARS data was magically able to send 'pings' to a satellite for a service that the airline does not subscribe to. Fine, I'll allow it because maybe the radio comms are on a different system than the satcoms, so it's possible that a failure in one system might not effect the other. However, it's disregarding the fact that the service is operated by Boeing, who have already come forward and said "there was no ACARS data received after the last known contact". Both the HF and satellite transmissions are ACARS transmissions.

No data was received, but are they counting "pings" as data?

And I think the leaks are coming out because the Malaysian government is being incompetent and people are trying to push them along.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Three Olives posted:

Is this the same Boeing that is the second largest US defense contractor that is routinely involved in highly classified government projects that finds itself in the middle of an international incident involving China and several other major Asian countries?

come on 3O it's not the X files

the plane is just a Boeing, like thousands of other planes

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Maybe I am not keeping up with all the weird conflicting information, but isn't that US ship going to where the alleged pings showed the aircraft going or is the location the US ship is headed based on some other information?

suztan
Jul 4, 2012

Crossposting from the Idiots on Social Media thread in PYF:

makes u think

Disconnecticus
Oct 21, 2012

Wait, like, actual money?

Vladimir Putin posted:

And I think the leaks are coming out because the Malaysian government is being incompetent and people are trying to push them along.

At this point the media should just roll their eyes and ignore anything they say, or at least put it in the "On the Lighter Side" section.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Rusty posted:

Maybe I am not keeping up with all the weird conflicting information, but isn't that US ship going to where the alleged pings showed the aircraft going or is the location the US ship is headed based on some other information?

I think it's a carrier group and it's going to where the pings were coming from, not where they last had contact.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

how do the blood dragons fit into this?

Somebody checked one as luggage, didn't they.

Arclyte
Apr 21, 2002
I figured I'd spend an hour or so looking through the satellite images on that Tomnod site and came across this thing.

It looks like its about 60-70 feet wide, thats got to be a lot bigger than a life raft but what the hell is it? It looks like it has the helipad marking on it, are there oil rigs that small?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Arclyte posted:

I figured I'd spend an hour or so looking through the satellite images on that Tomnod site and came across this thing.

It looks like its about 60-70 feet wide, thats got to be a lot bigger than a life raft but what the hell is it? It looks like it has the helipad marking on it, are there oil rigs that small?

It is the roof of an under water evil layer.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!
So at what point do they give up? For boats lost at sea it's usually a week. Don't know if there is a policy for planes.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

Arclyte posted:

My guess: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normally_unmanned_installation

kindermord
Jun 5, 2003
ducks is chickens with swimmy toes

Vladimir Putin posted:

I think it's a carrier group and it's going to where the pings were coming from, not where they last had contact.

no when the string is disconnected from the conveyor belt it stops and the plane can't fly anymore that is where the plane is and the blonde aussie girls are giving beezies in the cargo hold

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
Maybe there were no blonde aussie girls on board so the pilots flew to Darwin to pick some up.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

This is why when I fly I wear life preservers and parachutes, as well as a weeks worth of rations, flare guns, sea dye, a full survival kit, and a single teabag in a ziploc bag.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

7thBatallion posted:

This is why when I fly I wear life preservers and parachutes, as well as a weeks worth of rations, flare guns, sea dye, a full survival kit, and a single teabag in a ziploc bag.

Rations would be useless. Commercial airliners insta kill everyone on board when landing into any sea or ocean water. The only exception is landing into completely calm waters (large river, bay, or a lake - see Flight 1549). And when landing into a bay/lake you're right next to civilization anyway. All those lifejackets and training videos they show landing into oceans are BS made to make people feel safer.

maxidious
Sep 25, 2007

Meh

7thBatallion posted:

You had me going until sea dye, I am pretty sure there is not enough dye to change the colour of the sea.

Disconnecticus
Oct 21, 2012

Wait, like, actual money?
Back in the day, but now we know about the piece of string.

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010
:spooky:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helios_Airways_Flight_522:spooky:

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

maxidious posted:

You had me going until sea dye, I am pretty sure there is not enough dye to change the colour of the sea.

It's concentrated.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

I liked the part where the plan literally flew itself to the destination and just chilled until it fell out of the sku

hofnar
Dec 27, 2008

by sebmojo

maxidious posted:

Oh yes there is

You can see that poo poo from space too

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Rad Russian posted:

Commercial airliners insta kill everyone on board when landing into any sea or ocean water. The only exception is landing into completely calm waters (large river, bay, or a lake - see Flight 1549).

I don't know if this is a serious post, but there have been crashes into the ocean with at least a fair number of survivors. Here's one: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethiopian_Airlines_Flight_961

K. Farb
Aug 6, 2009

I'd give you a ride, but I got Karl Farbman here.
What would calm waters do to the string?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

K. Farb posted:

What would calm waters do to the string?

Now now, don't go chasin waterfalls.

• Locked thread