Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

*(Zergs out the following episode)
Thought this was a misaimed racist thing for a second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

This means he finally got paid. Guess he can finally afford an iron.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

FadingChord posted:

Actually, it could be another few weeks before he's paid. At least when I was on a game, the paperwork said I would be paid 4-6 weeks after air, and if the show didn't air, I would get zippo.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

FadingChord posted:

They told us that we won't get the check until around 120 days after the episode airs, so he won't be getting his check for a while, I think.

E:f,b

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

John Cena posted:

Dude just got wrecked by another contestant using his own strategy against him, then he self imploded at final jeopardy. Walks away with ~300,000 overall.

I think it's more that he finally came up against opponents who knew how to work the buzzer and his button mashing strategy was his downfall. In that interview he talked about how the fraction of a second penalty didn't matter, and I knew it was only a matter of time until he came up against a Ken Jennings type and got locked out from most of the questions.

King of Gulps
Sep 4, 2003

Lemmi Caution posted:

I think it's more that he finally came up against opponents who knew how to work the buzzer and his button mashing strategy was his downfall. In that interview he talked about how the fraction of a second penalty didn't matter, and I knew it was only a matter of time until he came up against a Ken Jennings type and got locked out from most of the questions.

He just finally bit "Arth" more than he could swallow!

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
Jeez. How many of you goons have been on? I just heard that a college friend of mine is taping this week, too. My third, no less. It's never going to happen to me, is it?

Tldr: always the bridesmaid, never the bride

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Yeah, I feel that. I had a kickass audition a year ago, but, sometimes they just don't need that many contestants.

Oh well, grad school is fun too.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
Three auditions, and the last one felt like a goddamn slam dunk. I hate everyone who gets on before me.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
From what I understand there's a fair bit of randomness. It's not just arbitrary, it's actually random.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

jscolon2.0 posted:

Jeez. How many of you goons have been on? I just heard that a college friend of mine is taping this week, too. My third, no less. It's never going to happen to me, is it?

Huh, maybe I met your college friend when I was taping on Tuesday. What's his/her name?

And it took me two online tests and one audition to get on. One woman who I met while competing had actually gotten on three years earlier, but couldn't make it because she had just started grad school. This time, there was no conflict.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
It is nine times harder to get on Jeopardy than to get into Harvard. I've auditioned twice and still haven't gotten The Call.

Do any of you guys post on JBoard? It's the board for Professional Jeopardy Nerds. There's some fun conversation/analysis, but goddamn is there some serious :spergin:. There's a 5 page argument about ulcers going on in the thread for Arthur's last game.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

My first thought on Final Jeopardy was Paris and Brasilia because of French Guiana, but the peninsula stipulation ruled that out and I got it right.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

My first thought on Final Jeopardy was Paris and Brasilia because of French Guiana, but the peninsula stipulation ruled that out and I got it right.

I knew one of the cities had to be Moscow. I guessed Beijing for the other and spent the rest of the time thinking "Wait.... is Beijing on a peninsula? I don't *think* it is, but... is it?" For some reason I'm an idiot and Pyongyang never crossed my mind.

cf1140
Jun 28, 2008
My first thought was [the correct two capital cities], but then I remembered, oh ya, DPRK borders China, not Russia.... A minute later I'm shocked to hear Alex say that's the correct response and I go straight to Google maps for a lesson.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Did the Chuliminator win a 2nd game?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

zVxTeflon posted:

Did the Chuliminator win a 2nd game?

No she got second place with $3.

Vogon Poet
Jun 18, 2004

Someone bought me this custom title because they think I kick ass at Photoshop. They happen to be right.

zakharov posted:

Do any of you guys post on JBoard? It's the board for Professional Jeopardy Nerds. There's some fun conversation/analysis, but goddamn is there some serious :spergin:. There's a 5 page argument about ulcers going on in the thread for Arthur's last game.
I have been lurking there, which unfortunately resulted in you spoiling me on Arthur losing. :argh:

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Ha, I didn't even think of that. Paris and Brasilia actually are the most distant capitals of bordering countries, so the question/answer were factually incorrect.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Vogon Poet posted:

I have been lurking there, which unfortunately resulted in you spoiling me on Arthur losing. :argh:

Haha, I'm sorry about that. I still think some of those guys overreacted a teensy bit.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
These are some stupid categories.

E: I'm not saying she's a gold digger....

3 Action Economist fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Mar 18, 2014

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Is Jeopardy serious with this "ear nose or throat" poo poo? That could be in Kids Week.

Screen Door Slams
Jan 27, 2014

Michael Pineda just couldn't stay healthy...
Holy poo poo this first round has been stunningly easy

e: I'm gonna be so, so bummed when Mel Brooks dies.

Screen Door Slams fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Mar 18, 2014

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Tonight's episode feels like remedial Jeopardy

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Soothing Vapors posted:

Tonight's episode feels like remedial Jeopardy

I've seen higher intellect required for Wheel of Fortune.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
They realized Arthur was making everyone else feel stupid so they're letting up for a bit, is my guess.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
It did seem like during Arthur's run they were designing categories they thought would stump him. Is it known that they do this when somebody is on a roll or just assumed?

That Italian adjectives cat on his losing game seemed like an example of this.

The Piper
Feb 18, 2007

Step right up and greet the Mets
very easy FJ yesterday but I'm curious as to why the woman in the lead didn't bet more. They were all within $2,000 of each other and it was a very straightforward category so why not just bet everything? You gotta assume the other two competitor were going to bet everything in that scenario.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

thathonkey posted:

It did seem like during Arthur's run they were designing categories they thought would stump him. Is it known that they do this when somebody is on a roll or just assumed?

That Italian adjectives cat on his losing game seemed like an example of this.

1. There are game show laws. There's no way they could get away with that.
2. Big winners=big ratings. There's no way they 'wanted' Arthur to lose. People were watching and talking about J! more than normal. Why would they want to stop that even if the guy appeared to be a colossal douche?

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

The format of the Ear, Nose, Throat category was weird. If they'd made the clue only without providing the rest of the phrase, it'd probably have been a standard difficulty word play category.

E.g. "What is Bend One's Ear?" vs. "What is Ear?"

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

I really need to watch the 11:15 Jeopardy rerun after local news here more often; I'm pretty sure they rerun episodes from a year ago on the same day, judging by the St. Patrick's Day banter during the episode.

But the reason I need to watch is that they advertise Jeopardy during that episode (I guess if you're trying to find the 7:00PM Jeopardy audience, it's a pretty safe bet that most of the people watching Jeopardy at 11:30 will be watching it at 7) and there was a :siren: Ken Jennings :siren: teaser last night. That wasn't exciting, but now I wonder if I missed the whole ARTHUR CHU THE VILLAIN OF JEOPARDY RETURNS TO CONTINUE HIS UNCHECKED CRIME SPREE teaser that somebody posted here.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

FadingChord posted:

I really need to watch the 11:15 Jeopardy rerun after local news here more often; I'm pretty sure they rerun episodes from a year ago on the same day, judging by the St. Patrick's Day banter during the episode.

But the reason I need to watch is that they advertise Jeopardy during that episode (I guess if you're trying to find the 7:00PM Jeopardy audience, it's a pretty safe bet that most of the people watching Jeopardy at 11:30 will be watching it at 7) and there was a :siren: Ken Jennings :siren: teaser last night. That wasn't exciting, but now I wonder if I missed the whole ARTHUR CHU THE VILLAIN OF JEOPARDY RETURNS TO CONTINUE HIS UNCHECKED CRIME SPREE teaser that somebody posted here.

Jennings is just part of the third prelims for the last Battle of the Decades. Chu isn't coming back until the next Tournament of Champions.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
E: wrong thread.

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

Yeah watching three random boring individuals who know nothing every day is way better than watching Arthur.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well... at least The Chase got renewed, so there's that at least.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Holy poo poo...the categories tonight.

I Am the Danger.
The One Who Knocks.
Say My Name.

Edit: And of course the one actual question in all three of those categories that is sort of Breaking Bad related (Heisenberg,) no one gets.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Isn't Ken Jennings going to be on that decades tournament soon?

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

thathonkey posted:

Isn't Ken Jennings going to be on that decades tournament soon?

Yes indeed.

How did NOBODY get Heisenberg?

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

Cup of Hemlock posted:

Yeah watching three random boring individuals who know nothing every day is way better than watching Arthur.

There hasn't been even a two day champ since, has there?

DrBouvenstein posted:

Holy poo poo...the categories tonight.

I Am the Danger.
The One Who Knocks.
Say My Name.

Edit: And of course the one actual question in all three of those categories that is sort of Breaking Bad related (Heisenberg,) no one gets.

After the Call Me Maybe board, probably my favorite Jeopardy board of all time.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
I've not watched a second of Breaking Bad and I still knew Heisenberg, what cave do these people live in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Piper
Feb 18, 2007

Step right up and greet the Mets
Well, that was a train wreck of a Final Jeopardy.