Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Funkmaster General posted:

This. Comparing anything censorship-related to South Park is dumb because South Park can do whatever the gently caress it wants. If Matt and Trey wanted a 30-minute episode in which every character walked around with a photorealistic boner sticking out of their pants and spoke only in "gently caress"s and "oval office"s, they could probably still get that on TV unedited.

Well they have their limits but they're in a position that they can constantly feel out and push the boundaries of what's acceptable to Comedy Central S&P. Rick & Morty has had a good start but we're only in the first season and they probably don't have that kind of working relationship with Adult Swim or Turner Broadcasting. Not yet anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

hemophilia posted:

Even more than standards ***AND*** practices i think it also comes down to case-by-case judgement, and shows that don't have as much clout probably tend to get away with less.

Harmon said in his AMA that whichever exec is in charge of his show is really good about going to bat for them with S&P.

It's just one more example about how weird America is with what can and can't be done on TV.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

zoux posted:

Harmon said in his AMA that whichever exec is in charge of his show is really good about going to bat for them with S&P.

It's just one more example about how weird America is with what can and can't be done on TV.

America gets less weird when you realize that once you eliminate the broadcast networks, it comes down to money. Ads and eyeballs pay the bills. Networks that cater to young adult male demos can get away with more obscene things. Censoring 'pussy' may have been an effort to not piss female viewers and feminist advocacy groups, just like channels like the History Channel and Discovery try to avoid the ire of Christian advocacy groups. They don't want complaints and they don't want boycotts of products.

It comes down to culture war bullshit affecting advertiser's bottom lines, which affects television's bottom lines. Nobody involved in cable television gives an iota of a gently caress about S&P beyond how it affects their bottom line. Money is the source of the weirdness, and money isn't that weird.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Funkmaster General posted:

This. Comparing anything censorship-related to South Park is dumb because South Park can do whatever the gently caress it wants.

It was just illustrative that the FCC doesn't enter into it.

Already R&M has seen greater latitude than anything else so far on [AS]. China Il has let a poo poo or two slip, but it was always confirmed after the fact that it was an accident playing the uncensored version.

S&P is just weird sometimes, don't forget they used to censor "sweet zombie jesus" on futurama.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

bull3964 posted:

S&P is just weird sometimes, don't forget they used to censor "sweet zombie jesus" on futurama.
They still often censor "god dammit"... but only the god part, the dammit comes through perfectly.

Populon
Mar 1, 2008

What's the matter,scared?

JT Jag posted:

They still often censor "god dammit"... but only the god part, the dammit comes through perfectly.

Isn't that because of Ted Turner having a problem with stuff that might be making fun of Christianity? Like the zombie Jesus thing and G whiz on ATHF.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

I....I really want that multiverse TV.

Planet Piss
Dec 18, 2006

hey you kids, get out of my moat, it was not meant to be played in

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

Yeah this next one is looking really promising! Multiple timeline stories have infinite humor possibilities

By the way, I'm working on making Mr. Meeseeks plush dolls! I'll post pics here when they're done, which should be in the next couple days

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Planet Piss posted:

Yeah this next one is looking really promising! Multiple timeline stories have infinite humor possibilities

By the way, I'm working on making Mr. Meeseeks plush dolls! I'll post pics here when they're done, which should be in the next couple days

If it's not done by tomorrow he'll be in horrible agony until you finish.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Populon posted:

Isn't that because of Ted Turner having a problem with stuff that might be making fun of Christianity? Like the zombie Jesus thing and G whiz on ATHF.

This seems apocryphal. Not because I don't think Ted Turner is cool with anti-Christianity stuff on his networks, but because of the fact that those aren't technically his networks anymore. He sold the company to Time Warner in the late 90s and remained on the board until mid 2000s... I guess it's possible he had such granular influence over the content of their programming but I doubt it.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

What would blow me right the gently caress away is if one of the family happens to turn the channel to the world Rick and Morty are originally from.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Does Rick have argyria?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

VideoTapir posted:

Does Rick have argyria?

I'm googlin this it better not be butthole stuff.

E: it's a condition that turns the skin blue.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.

zoux posted:

I'm googlin this it better not be butthole stuff.

E: it's a condition that turns the skin blue.

Usually caused by drinking too much colloidal silver.

I don't really think Rick's dumb enough to fall for that scam. Of course it could ahve been caused by something else.

J-Man X
Aug 18, 2004

Boxing Champion
Uh, so Adult Swim just put next week's Rick and Morty episode on instagram.

http://instagram.com/rickandmorty

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

What the gently caress?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

That's... they split it up into like 50 clips. Someone stitch it together for me please.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
hahaha, that's pretty awesome. Like when they showed all of the Aqua Team movie in a tiny box on the corner of the screen.

:allears:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's amazing. They let you watch it all if you're committed enough but it's such a pain most people won't even bother.

J-Man X
Aug 18, 2004

Boxing Champion
I think that given the content of this episode, the 15-second clip format works out pretty well.

EDIT: And HOLY poo poo, callback to Rick Potion #9

J-Man X fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Mar 14, 2014

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The entire episode just seems to be an excuse for Roiland to do incredibly stupid, rambling improv about completely random subjects.

It's fantastic is what I'm saying.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Haha the dig at bobby moynahan was hilarious

She
Sep 26, 2007

It really isn't so bad; the clips are erm, semi-automatic. "The horn when you honk it makes a sneeze. Noise." Jesus this show is adorable.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

We'll I guess I'll see y'all after Monday then.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
The interdimensional TV in the new episode reminded me of this episode of House of Cosbys (Justin's first claim to fame).

Steve Agee as Garfield is 100% pure gold.
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Unmature fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Mar 14, 2014

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Unmature posted:

The interdimensional TV in the new episode reminded me of this episode of House of Cosbys (Justin's first claim to fame).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCkEg8ulq4s

There are also parts that remind me of this Doc and Mharti short.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMqHt3WIVpI

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I have no idea what I just watched or how I just watched it, other than a whole lot of random clicking and confusion.

Still one of the best episodes yet. Make sure to stay after the credits kids...

Family vacation!

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I just watched an episode of a television series in 15-second clips.

What have I become.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Sockser posted:

I just watched an episode of a television series in 15-second clips.

What have I become.

A robot chicken fan

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Wubba lubba dub dub gnight everybody

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Somebody combined all the clips into one file: https://mega.co.nz/#!eZVXnBwY!ngQbOCjrQSuogin7OuyoI5lS8i2Ayoh7tj4i9NSyZmo

Planet Piss
Dec 18, 2006

hey you kids, get out of my moat, it was not meant to be played in

MrAristocrates posted:

The entire episode just seems to be an excuse for Roiland to do incredibly stupid, rambling improv about completely random subjects.

It's fantastic is what I'm saying.

Roiland really is at his best when he's allowed to do whatever the hell he wants

"Wow, alternate universe TV really has a looser feel to it!"
"Yeah, feels like it's almost IMPROVISATIONAL in tone."

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

It was only a matter of time.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Gorilla Salad posted:

What would blow me right the gently caress away is if one of the family happens to turn the channel to the world Rick and Morty are originally from.
(Jerry is rapidly changing channels, eventually stumbling upon a channel where the image is a smaller version of what is on screen, with a tiny TV relative to where the TV is on frame.)

"Weird," Jerry says, which is echoed. Then he changes the channel without thinking about it.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
Thanks for the link.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Pff. I'm a hardcore true fan. I watched it on Instagram. :smug:

Best episode so far. Pure, batshit insanity, plus honest to god drama. I love this show. Gazzorpazorpfield. "White. Uh. White guilt..milk toast...piece of human garbage." Probably the most Invader Zim-esq episode of anything ever. I got flashbacks.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I like how for some of the clips Roiland/Harmon clearly start laughing and they just leave it in.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Holy poo poo that episode did not let up. I don't think I've laughed harder at any of the other episodes.

Except it gets an A- because fakedoors.com is not real :[

edit: I guess it wouldn't be in this universe though. Uh-oh, I'm thinking about it...

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

Ror posted:

Except it gets an A- because fakedoors.com is not real :[

Hahah, yeah I checked too. Must be an alternate reality thing only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Alright, this episode is magical.

• Locked thread