Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Shmorky posted:

that's what made it so great. I love awkward graphics. During development they ran into problems with video compression which only made the tiny grainy video even more mutilated and higher in file size so the game had to be split into seven discs.

Whoa whoa whoa -- SEVEN discs?? What the gently caress, Sierra :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.

Neurion posted:

Whoa whoa whoa -- SEVEN discs?? What the gently caress, Sierra :psyduck:

You'd be hard-pressed to find an FMV adventure game in the 90s that wasn't under 5 discs. I think there was a game that went as high as 9.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Fancy Hat! posted:

You'd be hard-pressed to find an FMV adventure game in the 90s that wasn't under 5 discs. I think there was a game that went as high as 9.

Most were 4-6 though.

The highest CD count for a PC game I know of is still FFXI at 10 or UT2004 (Editor choice edition) also at 10.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I do recall UT2K4 running a good five CDs... I also recall it having a DVD release, and being one of the very first PC games I bought a DVD version of - although not the first game I'd seen a DVD version of, since my family had bought things like the DVD version of Starship Titanic (which was, what, 3 CDs otherwise?).

I also recall thinking that the fact these came on DVDs meant that they were designed for DVD players - like, on TVs and everything. A bit naive, but to be fair, there are DVD games of that ilk - usually ports of laserdisc arcade games like Dragon's Lair, but still. I'd cleared up that misconception by the time I bought UT2K4, at least.

But now I'm getting off-topic. 10 discs for the Editor's Choice Edition? They seriously added that much to the game? Surprised they didn't just cut their losses and go DVD-only, like I swear most PC games were doing by that point.

Honestly, it's almost a shame digital distribution is catching on as much as it is; seeing manufacturers try to push out PC games as many gigabytes large as they are these days onto multiple DVDs, just as publishers pushed out these FMV games on multiple CDs, would be kind of hilarious.

Mr. Noseybonk
Jul 17, 2012

Fancy Hat! posted:

Just another notch on the "Why FMV games were bad" scoreboard.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Shadow Hog posted:

I do recall UT2K4 running a good five CDs... I also recall it having a DVD release, and being one of the very first PC games I bought a DVD version of - although not the first game I'd seen a DVD version of, since my family had bought things like the DVD version of Starship Titanic (which was, what, 3 CDs otherwise?).

Starship Titanic and The Space Bar were both three CDs - The Space Bar even included both PC and Mac discs in the same box, so they didn't have to make separate packages for each version. Myst was only one CD, but I guess the videos in Riven were a lot bigger, since it took five CDs. Phantasmagoria 2 and Gabriel Knight 2 were each only five CDs as well, and both felt to me like they had more in them than the original Phantasmagoria did with its seven. I think the biggest problem was just the shared game assets that had to be copied to every disc, no matter how many of them there were. Too big a game and no number of CDs would be able to contain it.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Fancy Hat! posted:

It wasn't only FMV's For example the original Baldur's Gate came on 8 CDs. Now days, that fits easily on a DVD with a little left over.

voodoo dog
Jun 6, 2001

Gun Saliva

Axe-man posted:

It wasn't only FMV's For example the original Baldur's Gate came on 8 CDs. Now days, that fits easily on a DVD with a little left over.
Now I feel old, because it was way worse towards the end of the floppy disk era.. I am pretty sure there were some games that came on 20+ disks that you had to insert one after the other to install the game. Hell, even Monkey Island 2 came on 7 disks or so if I recall correctly.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

new vid up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veDwm_sNDLs

Shmorky
Nov 6, 2002

IT'S TIM
I don't mind if a linear game comes on multiple discs, but if it's non-linear and you're constantly swapping discs each time you enter a new area then it's just awful (see: Armed & Delirious)

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Shmorky posted:

I don't mind if a linear game comes on multiple discs, but if it's non-linear and you're constantly swapping discs each time you enter a new area then it's just awful (see: Armed & Delirious)

The Space Bar came with (incomplete, from my Win 98 virtual machine experience) instructions for copying the contents of the disc that had the assets for the hub area to the hard drive, so you never had to swap to that disc and only occasionally needed to swap between discs 1 and 3. I'm sure it was possible with other games, and I know my experiments with just copying all three discs of The Space Bar worked perfectly. But who has a hard drive capable of holding the data from three whole CDs?

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

hahaha this is a pro-click

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Nidoking posted:

The Space Bar came with (incomplete, from my Win 98 virtual machine experience) instructions for copying the contents of the disc that had the assets for the hub area to the hard drive, so you never had to swap to that disc and only occasionally needed to swap between discs 1 and 3. I'm sure it was possible with other games, and I know my experiments with just copying all three discs of The Space Bar worked perfectly. But who has a hard drive capable of holding the data from three whole CDs?

Baldur's Gate came with a "HUGE install" that would allow you to not swap disks too. Of course 3 years later after it was released it quickly became very easy to do. Such is the march of technology! Fallout had the same system. I feel old now, but I remember a time when having your CD in the disk drive was considered the standard and to think otherwise was madness, now I have a stack in front of me about 8 DvDs/Cds being the only games I own that require that. (most of them rather old!)

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Only a madman would waste hundreds of megabytes on copying CD quality audio, sir.

Mr. Noseybonk
Jul 17, 2012

Axe-man posted:

Baldur's Gate came with a "HUGE install" that would allow you to not swap disks too. Of course 3 years later after it was released it quickly became very easy to do. Such is the march of technology! Fallout had the same system. I feel old now, but I remember a time when having your CD in the disk drive was considered the standard and to think otherwise was madness, now I have a stack in front of me about 8 DvDs/Cds being the only games I own that require that. (most of them rather old!)

Diablo II also has the ability to install basically everything. The big one being the movies, so you wouldn't have to switch disks after a chapter.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Axe-man posted:

The original Baldur's Gate was five CD's, six including the expansion.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

The original Baldur's Gate was five CD's, six including the expansion.

You are right my bad I thought it came with that many. My memory failing me.

Mr. Noseybonk
Jul 17, 2012

Well, that house was better designed than the one in Phantasmagoria as least.

Titty Warlord
Apr 28, 2013

Lowtax, give me the power to kill people over the internet.

Titty Warlord fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Mar 14, 2014

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
So Lowtax this latest video reminded me of a question I've been meaning to ask.

How is that you're able to find time for your family between playing the worst games to have ever be conceived and being a mad internet dictator?

Mr. Noseybonk
Jul 17, 2012

David D. Davidson posted:

So Lowtax this latest video reminded me of a question I've been meaning to ask.

How is that you're able to find time for your family between playing the worst games to have ever be conceived and being a mad internet dictator?

It helps that he doesn't actually spend all that much time being a mad internet dictator. 'Cause why would you want to be?

RSCNyx
Mar 6, 2013

It's okay, little guy. I would be scared too.

Mr. Noseybonk posted:

It helps that he doesn't actually spend all that much time being a mad internet dictator. 'Cause why would you want to be?

Yeah, that's what moderators are for!

Anyway, this latest video was nothing short of adorable. A Slender musical seems like a great idea, in theory.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
That was pretty good- I would like to know the target audience for gettin' spook'd by this game, though.

(Hint: it's morons)

I like how slenderman just sorta stood there when you saw him.

"Yeah, yeah I don't wanna be here either. Let's get this over with. BooooOooooo"

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

she knows who dr steve brule is, you've done an admirable job as a parent lowtax. Also I like how you guys didn't even notice slenderman in his first two appearances.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Slenderman was in the background at least three times during the intro and nobody noticed and/or cared. The most scary part of the game is when you realize that that 15 minute slog was just the intro.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Geemer posted:

Slenderman was in the background at least three times during the intro and nobody noticed and/or cared. The most scary part of the game is when you realize that that 15 minute slog was just the intro.

By the 15 minute mark Pewdiepie would be screaming like a child.

Meanwhile an actual child is bored out of her mind and is counting how many seconds have elapsed.

PRL412
Sep 11, 2007

... ... MINE

Shmorky posted:

Yes! Even back in the day, no one liked Riven's disc swapping.

edit: watched the update and now I wish I was as happy as slenderman

PRL412 fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Mar 14, 2014

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Mr. Noseybonk posted:

Well, that house was better designed than the one in Phantasmagoria as least.

Yeah it is. Shame the game is a better designed 'collect 8 Things'. Just once I'd like to see a shoot me up game where you fight slenderman.
Also, not to be weird, but 'age 8' is a weird middle name.

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

Neurion posted:

By the 15 second mark Pewdiepie would be screaming like a child.

ftfy

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Pewdiepie would scream while uploading the video. He'd scream before he even starts playing. His life is of unending terror.

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

I wish I had a life of unending terror and a bank account stuffed with millions in YouTube cash.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
That was adorable :3:

Now stop ruining your kids lives with lovely games.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
An actual eight-year-old child is a better and funnier LP commentator than most adults.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Pakled posted:

An actual eight-year-old child is a better and funnier LP commentator than most adults.

Yeah but her birthsign is "lowtax-born" so she's already on an exalted plane of existence. Plus if you've watched any of the flash tub lauren cartoons you'd know she's funny as heck. I like how not even a child finds entertainment out of this garbage, when I was 8 I was pretty easily amused.

not exposing your children to Dr. Steve Brule is child abuse

mbt fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Mar 14, 2014

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Kanthulhu posted:

That was adorable :3:

Now stop ruining your kids lives with lovely games.
she specifically asked to do a lets play slenderman game with me.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Mortimer posted:

not exposing your children to Dr. Steve Brule is child abuse
the new season so far has been questionable.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Lowtax posted:

she specifically asked to do a lets play slenderman game with me.

Obviously you've raised her correctly, on a diet of "so bad, it's good" movies.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
I'd imagine a video of her and Shmorky would just be them giggling back and forth.

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
I like how even your daughter finds the game boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I like how 8-year old girl ridicules all those people who made this stupid fad popular.

• Locked thread