Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Caged posted:

The bit about withholding information was a big part of my previous job. It's definitely not par for the course with IT, and a fair reason to :yotj: for.

I couldn't work out why anyone would think that not giving me the full details when trying to make a decision was a good idea, maybe it was to keep some illusion of power going? I didn't hang around enough to find out.

Some people have their entire identity defined by the power, real or imaginary, they have over other people. They'll go out of their way to increase or retain it, and knowing something that others don't is a privilege of people in powerful positions. So it strokes their ego. My last boss was one such, though he needed to make sure everyone knew that he was powerful so something as passive as withholding information did not achieve his goal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

larchesdanrew posted:

Does anyone else have supervisors that have intimate knowledge of everything that is going on, but refuse to let you in on the secret so you can do your loving job, then swoop in at the last minute to interfere with every single loving thing you end up working on and take all the credit? Do you first find out about every single project, big or small, three days after it's supposed to have been finished? Are your repeated inquiries related to how things are set up and operate completely ignored, only to have said reaction come back to bite you in the rear end?

Is it just me or is this basically IT in a nutshell, because I think I'm beginning to understand this whole :yotj: thing.
My boss knows everything that is going on, lets us know about it (even if he has to tell us to keep quiet about it,) steps in to help at the last minute if we need it, and gives us full credit for our work without even mentioning that he was involved. You need to :yotj:

GWBBQ fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Mar 21, 2014

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

GWBBQ posted:

You need to :yotj:

I wish that were an option. My wife and I just bought our first house and are expecting our first child in a few weeks. I live in an area where I'd likely have to move several states away to find an appreciable saturation of IT jobs to find employment. I lucked the hell out landing this position. Basically everything else around here is contract based and requires weeks of travel at a time. Long and short of it is I'm in absolutely no position to bitch about having a job, I just wish I could DO it.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

ConfusedUs posted:

Hey blackswordca! Wasn't that meeting of doom that may or may not be an exit interview supposed to happen this week? I gotta know, man.

Pretty sure that was today. Get in here blacksword!

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION

iRend posted:

I'm SSHing from an remote desktop session from a citrix session from a firefox in another citrix session from a win7 virtual machine on a 2 year old laptop running Red Hat and..... hey it's actually working quite well.

In other news, this device requiring 3 month retention of logs was set to 30 days, 2 months ago! And now it's being audited! And people are requesting reports from the month which doesn't EXIST! Tickets will be raised, heads will be removed.

Sooooo this is over. Kind of.

The SQL database was backed up every 3 days locally, and never backed up in any other way because the storage team exclude all database files, because they might be in use.

Oh and whoever set the stuff to be purged after 30 days, also set the audit logs to be purged after 14. On a client which has a 1 year audit retention policy.

Tickets were ignored, heads stayed attached, poo poo is about 5cm from the fan.

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

Pretty sure that was today. Get in here blacksword!

I still have hope he came out alive :rip:

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
I love overtime, and any chance to get some I will grab it with both hands and maybe milk the time I spend on site - though one of the agreed perks I have is that I get paid from door to door, i.e. from the second I step out of my flat I'm on the clock until I step back in through the door. Anyway, last night we had arranged a change at 8pm to do a cache battery replacement and memory replacement, and the timetable that was laid out for me claimed, not unreasonably mind you, that I would start at around 8:10pm and be done by around 8:25pm. I duly walk into the data center at 8pm, locate the server in the enclosure, slowly withdraw it from the enclosure, pop the lid and.... what can only be described as a blind panic overcame me.

The cache battery I had in my hands in no way, shape or form resembled the one which was currently in the machine. The one I had was a covered D shaped battery with a small circuit board at one end in order to connect it to the server; the one in the machine was 2 AA batteries taped up with a four point connector attaching it to the machine. After much removal of parts and chasing of cables, I deduced that the part that I had been given was in fact the wrong one. It was now 8:25pm. Still, there was a duff memory DIMM which needed replacing, surely that couldn't be that hard, no?

Well, in this server there were 16 populated DIMMs. My notes said "Replace DIMM 7". The notes on our problem/job logging application said "Replace DIMM 7". There were four DIMMs in slots marked 7. If there was a wild sense of panic before, it escalated slowly. So I did what any decent but inexperienced engineer does. I replaced the DIMM in the first slot seven, put the server back together, placed it back in its enclosure, powered it on and... nothing. I did this three more times until the machine final decided that it was going to actually boot itself up. There was no memory test either, which is worrying me, plus at one point it seemed like the server fancied rebuilding itself from one of our deployment servers. By now it was 10:00pm, so as soon as it hit the Windows login screen, I called one of the guys in Infrastructure and called it a night.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva
Stuff like that reminds me of the time when after power maintenance(They had had a few blips earlier that day) a company's BUSINESS CRITICAL server's 5-disk RAID-5 suddenly decided it was degraded, one of the disks refused to come back up. Power maintenance was in the evening and I was on-site to make sure everythin was powered down and up properly, so I could instantly diagnose and get the server back up and running with a degraded array.

No UPS of course because this was a small company server, and budget did not have any room for that(Hell, the two server racks were in the maintenance basement right next to a huge metal water tank, no air conditioning and a decent amount of dust)

Called server manufacturer, they were in a bankrupcy phase and could not send out any replacement parts as a result. Called supplier, who after a bit of back and forth sent out a new disk, which arrived two days later. Meanwhile, the BUSINESS CRITICAL server(it ran an instance of Navision for the accounting department) was kept up and running with a disabled alarm and extra paranoia on the backups(at least those were good)

The server itself helpfully stated which disk was dead, identifying it on-screen with its disk number.

But the chassis had no such thing as convenient disk number labeling or anything. No way to figure it out either from the management utility, until I rebooted it and noticed the drives switched on and lit up their tiny LED light in a specific order as the controller identified each disk.

Pulled the suspected dead drive praying it was the right one, plugged in the new one, booted the server, checked everything was OK in the utility, started the array rebuild to run overnight and the day was saved.

Of course, I had to do this during closing hours because BUSINESS CRITICAL. The whole process took four days and thankfully nothing was lost. And could have been prevented entirely with a decent UPS.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Most of these tickets are all bad news, but how about some good news for a change. Sat in a meeting yesterday where it was decided to upgrade our 10mbps pipe to 100mbps ($900/mo to $1200/mo) then start backing up everything offsite auto - no tapes anymore! :dance:

Also we're going to Office 356 which I'm not sure how I feel about yet.

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.

GreenNight posted:

9 days off a year? Better than some goons, it seems like.

Vvvv: 365/356. Bad joke

CaptainJuan fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Mar 14, 2014

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

CaptainJuan posted:

9 days off a year? Better than some goons, it seems like.

Is that the average amount of time that 365 is down? That'll be fun. Our email server hasn't been down for more than 10 minutes in ~ a decade.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Did Blackswordca die or something. I need him to come back and update :ohdear:

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
My boss asked me to look at a computer. Not only is it a personal computer, it isn't even his -- it's his neighbor's. Motherfucker, my family doesn't get to bring me any computers that don't belong to a relative. I have a no personal work policy at work, it's a nightmare and not worth it. I refer them to a trusted local guy.

But whatever, my boss is a good guy who's always done right by me. I'll do him a solid and take a look. Turns out that not only does he not know what's wrong with it -- his neighbor told him, and I quote, "It's hosed up" -- but it has exactly one account and we don't have the password. Also, this last discovery tells me that my boss has not attempted troubleshooting before bringing it to me, or even so much as turned it on.

dox
Mar 4, 2006

Veskit posted:

Did Blackswordca die or something. I need him to come back and update :ohdear:

He updated us in IRC but I won't go and spoil all the fun... it's coming.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
Ia Ia Blackswordfthagn?

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

dox posted:

:ohdear: :suspense:

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

dox posted:

Where is this channel?

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

guppy posted:

but it has exactly one account and we don't have the password.

Memory stick, CHNTPW iso (or Hiren's), YUMI to make it bootable, blank pw, done.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

sfwarlock posted:

Memory stick, CHNTPW iso (or Hiren's), YUMI to make it bootable, blank pw, done.
Right, because what he should do is MORE work for free.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Yeah, I think I am less willing to do that than just wait for my boss to call this idiot,

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
So an email came in.

One of the remote sites had a server hard drive die on them a while ago, so my company sold them a new "rodc" ( a lenovo thinkpad ). The server originally onsite was an HP Prolient. So the server was brought back to our office and then supposed to be brought to the client site. Instead it was brought back to the office and looks like it was recycled.

:cripes:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

blackswordca posted:

So an email came in.

One of the remote sites had a server hard drive die on them a while ago, so my company sold them a new "rodc" ( a lenovo thinkpad ). The server originally onsite was an HP Prolient. So the server was brought back to our office and then supposed to be brought to the client site. Instead it was brought back to the office and looks like it was recycled.

:cripes:

Should we take this to mean that your "sure thing" new job with the "one last chance" guy fell through?

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Volmarias posted:

Should we take this to mean that your "sure thing" new job with the "one last chance" guy fell through?

I havent heard from them, but I did have another phone interview on Monday with a different place. Hoping to hear back today.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I just had a client think I was making fun of their computer for referring to a "mickey mouse plug". :cripes:

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

dox posted:

*taps foot impatiently*

Also one of the projects me and my boss pushed through last year was a Exchange 2003 -> 2010 upgrade, followed by enabled online archiving and then importing all 600 PST files into Online archiving. I did this all myself but it's so worth it - goodbye PST files FOREVER you fucks

also exchange 2010 actually rules and is a huge improvement over 2003

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

Entropic posted:

I just had a client think I was making fun of their computer for referring to a "mickey mouse plug". :cripes:

I call it The Triangle Thing :downs:

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Alctel posted:

also exchange 2010 actually rules and is a huge improvement over 2003

so loving true

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Entropic posted:

Mickey Mouse?! It ain't even Donald Duck!

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

So the results of ominous meeting invite..

What a giant waste of time. It ended up being a 2 hour one on one meeting with my manager and most of the time it was a giant cheer session for the company im at. Turns out that reviews from this manager don't have any effect on raises/bonus's/ benefits. So this place now has two or three independent employee review processes.

blackswordca fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Mar 14, 2014

Jadus
Sep 11, 2003

GreenNight posted:

Most of these tickets are all bad news, but how about some good news for a change. Sat in a meeting yesterday where it was decided to upgrade our 10mbps pipe to 100mbps ($900/mo to $1200/mo) then start backing up everything offsite auto - no tapes anymore! :dance:

How is it that a 100Mbps connection only costs $1200/month? That's ridiculous pricing from what I have available.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Downtown Madison WI. We have a major fiber trunk under our sidewalks.

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

Jadus posted:

How is it that a 100Mbps connection only costs $1200/month? That's ridiculous pricing from what I have available.

On the other end of the spectrum... "only"??? Where are you guys? Nowhere, Idaho? Seattle's got two or three 1Gbps providers, and none of them charge much over a tenth of that ($120/mo), whether you're a business or just some dude who really loves the internet.

e: Madison? They have real internet there, no way it should cost that much. What kind of guarantees are you getting on that? Ten 9s of uptime?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

^^ Five 9's but we haven't been able to get any better pricing. We're currently with Quest and they priced us like 4x as much for the same.

Not every place is like Seattle unfortunately.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

SolTerrasa posted:

On the other end of the spectrum... "only"??? Where are you guys? Nowhere, Idaho? Seattle's got two or three 1Gbps providers, and none of them charge much over a tenth of that ($120/mo), whether you're a business or just some dude who really loves the internet.

Usually those paying over $1k a month for internet are also buying Service Level Agreements, priority, etc. for "business class" type connections. In my area, I have 50Mb at home for like $80 a month, but at my old job from the same provider we were paying hundreds just for 10mb, because of SLAs, a static IP, and being "allowed to host outward facing services (web sites)"

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

blackswordca posted:

What a giant waste of time. It ended up being a 2 hour one on one meeting with my manager and most of the time it was a giant cheer session for the company im at. Turns out that reviews from this manager don't have any effect on raises/bonus's/ benefits. So this place now has two or three independent employee review processes.

...That's it?

Westie
May 30, 2013

Baboon Simulator

blackswordca posted:

Out of all the possible things that could have came out of that meeting going from your previous stories, that's quite possibly the one that didn't surprise me at all. :|

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

blackswordca posted:

At least give us some choice quotes, man.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Inspector_666 posted:

Sounds like you have been drinking the blackswordca posts a little to long there Inspector_666. You need to lay off the juice!

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Inspector_666 posted:

"The way we're growing, in a year or so we will be the next Earthlink MSP"

"If you get your MCSE-SA and your VMware certs, one day you may be able to get out of the Jr position"

"We've hired 10 new phone techs, we're just waiting for them to graduate collage."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

blackswordca posted:

"The way we're growing, in a year or so we will be the next Earthlink MSP"

"If you get your MCSE-SA and your VMware certs, one day you may be able to get out of the Jr position"

"We've hired 10 new phone techs, we're just waiting for them to graduate collage."

They paying for those certs?

• Locked thread