Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
Has anyone been able to install FreeBSD 10 on ESXi 5.1? It looks like 9 is fully supported with tools and all, but I can't even get the 10 install media to boot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

did you verify the checksum?

also, esxi 5.1 is like the redhead stepchild of vmware; you should totally use 5.0 or 5.5

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
Yep, checksums check out. I installed 5.0 because what the hell, nothing was on there to start with, but same, just tries to PXE boot and fails. The Fedora ISO works, but it just refuses to boot any FreeBSD iso I throw at it.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

EvilMoFo posted:

did you verify the checksum?

also, esxi 5.1 is like the redhead stepchild of vmware; you should totally use 5.0 or 5.5

Wait, what's wrong with 5.1? I have 4.1, 5.0, and 5.5 media, but we currently are running 5.1, because that was the "current" version at the time.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
The one thing that's certainly wrong is the lack of support and you should consider updating to 5.5.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Riso posted:

The one thing that's certainly wrong is the lack of support and you should consider updating to 5.5.

Lack of support isn't a big concern. In fact, we will be upgrading one system all the way up to 4.1.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

scroogle nmaps posted:

Yep, checksums check out. I installed 5.0 because what the hell, nothing was on there to start with, but same, just tries to PXE boot and fails. The Fedora ISO works, but it just refuses to boot any FreeBSD iso I throw at it.

I always forget to check and see if the virtual CDROM device is connected.

roadhead
Dec 25, 2001

Messing around upgrading some ports, mostly using 'portupgrade -a' and now I get this

code:
% SABnzbd.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/bin/SABnzbd.py", line 53, in <module>
    from cherrypy import _cpwsgi_server
  File "/usr/local/share/sabnzbdplus/cherrypy/_cpwsgi_server.py", line 6, in <module>
    from cherrypy import wsgiserver
  File "/usr/local/share/sabnzbdplus/cherrypy/wsgiserver/__init__.py", line 105, in <module>
    from OpenSSL import SSL
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/OpenSSL/__init__.py", line 8, in <module>
    from OpenSSL import rand, crypto, SSL
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/OpenSSL/rand.py", line 11, in <module>
    from OpenSSL._util import (
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/OpenSSL/_util.py", line 4, in <module>
    binding = Binding()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/cryptography/hazmat/bindings/openssl/binding.py", line 83, in __init__
    self._ensure_ffi_initialized()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/cryptography/hazmat/bindings/openssl/binding.py", line 99, in _ensure_ffi_initialized
    libraries)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/cryptography/hazmat/bindings/utils.py", line 72, in build_ffi
    ext_package="cryptography",
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/cffi/api.py", line 341, in verify
    lib = self.verifier.load_library()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/cffi/verifier.py", line 73, in load_library
    self._write_source()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/cffi/verifier.py", line 125, in _write_source
    file = open(self.sourcefilename, 'w')
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/cryptography/hazmat/bindings/__pycache__/_cffi__x5eaa210axf0ae7e21.c'
when I try and run SABnzbd - if I just run python and do the same import SABnzbd.py does it doesn't give an error? What did I break?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

roadhead posted:

Messing around upgrading some ports, mostly using 'portupgrade -a' and now I get this

code:
% SABnzbd.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/bin/SABnzbd.py", line 53, in <module>
    from cherrypy import _cpwsgi_server
  File "/usr/local/share/sabnzbdplus/cherrypy/_cpwsgi_server.py", line 6, in <module>
    from cherrypy import wsgiserver
  File "/usr/local/share/sabnzbdplus/cherrypy/wsgiserver/__init__.py", line 105, in <module>
    from OpenSSL import SSL
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/OpenSSL/__init__.py", line 8, in <module>
    from OpenSSL import rand, crypto, SSL
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/OpenSSL/rand.py", line 11, in <module>
    from OpenSSL._util import (
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/OpenSSL/_util.py", line 4, in <module>
    binding = Binding()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/cryptography/hazmat/bindings/openssl/binding.py", line 83, in __init__
    self._ensure_ffi_initialized()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/cryptography/hazmat/bindings/openssl/binding.py", line 99, in _ensure_ffi_initialized
    libraries)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/cryptography/hazmat/bindings/utils.py", line 72, in build_ffi
    ext_package="cryptography",
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/cffi/api.py", line 341, in verify
    lib = self.verifier.load_library()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/cffi/verifier.py", line 73, in load_library
    self._write_source()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/cffi/verifier.py", line 125, in _write_source
    file = open(self.sourcefilename, 'w')
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/cryptography/hazmat/bindings/__pycache__/_cffi__x5eaa210axf0ae7e21.c'
when I try and run SABnzbd - if I just run python and do the same import SABnzbd.py does it doesn't give an error? What did I break?

Because "import SABnzbd" won't call __main__.

Try reinstalling cffi

roadhead
Dec 25, 2001

evol262 posted:

Because "import SABnzbd" won't call __main__.

Try reinstalling cffi

I reinstalled that port already.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

roadhead posted:

I reinstalled that port already.

What this backtrace is telling is:

sab is trying to start cherrypy.
Cherrypy is using openssl through pycrypto
pycrypto is using terrible/dangerous bindings.
Those bindings are calling out to a native C library.

You have a few possibilities:

cffi is broken, but you updated it.
openssl was updated by pycrypto was not
pycrypto was updated by openssl was not

Other than cffi, it's likely that you got the heartbleed fix, and security/py-pycrypto needs to be rebuilt against the new library version.

roadhead
Dec 25, 2001

evol262 posted:

What this backtrace is telling is:

sab is trying to start cherrypy.
Cherrypy is using openssl through pycrypto

You have a few possibilities:

cffi is broken, but you updated it.
openssl was updated by pycrypto was not
pycrypto was updated by openssl was not

Other than cffi, it's likely that you got the heartbleed fix, and security/py-pycrypto needs to be rebuilt against the new library version.

Ok I did a "make reinstall clean" for py-pycrypto and openssl and still no go. Is there something else I should try besides that command?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

roadhead posted:

Ok I did a "make reinstall clean" for py-pycrypto and openssl and still no go. Is there something else I should try besides that command?

What are the versions of cffi and pycrypto?

roadhead
Dec 25, 2001

evol262 posted:

What are the versions of cffi and pycrypto?

py27-cffi-0.8.2
py27-pycrypto-2.6.1

I've even backed up my sabnzbd.ini and did a "make reinstall clean" of it as well to no effect.

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!
I've been trying to use PC-BSD (10) in a VirtualBox VM but it keeps hanging on me.

The last time it hung the mouse was responsive to movement but nothing was reacting when clicked on. I could switch to TTY's, but when I attempted to log in it would hang before presenting a shell.

Are there known issues virtualizing BSD in VirtualBox?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

roadhead posted:

py27-cffi-0.8.2
py27-pycrypto-2.6.1

I've even backed up my sabnzbd.ini and did a "make reinstall clean" of it as well to no effect.

You'll probably have to ask the cffi port maintainer.

roadhead
Dec 25, 2001

evol262 posted:

You'll probably have to ask the cffi port maintainer.

Ok I got desperate and took it up a notch.

"portupgrade -Rf sabnzbdplus"

Fixed it right up. Not even sure who the troubled port was, don't really care at this point.

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

roadhead posted:

Ok I got desperate and took it up a notch.

"portupgrade -Rf sabnzbdplus"

Fixed it right up. Not even sure who the troubled port was, don't really care at this point.

Don't use ports, use packages built with poudriere. Why? Because poudriere will ensure things are sane. If they're not, it will automatically handle the equivalent of your "pourtupgrade -Rf". If you really want to continue to get your hands dirty, continue using ports. However, the efforts with pkgng and poudriere are to keep end users from pointing guns at their feet and then screaming on the lists. We're providing safety belts while still giving you the same power as when you build from ports.

-sabnzbdplus port maintainer, feld

roadhead
Dec 25, 2001

feld posted:

Don't use ports, use packages built with poudriere. Why? Because poudriere will ensure things are sane. If they're not, it will automatically handle the equivalent of your "pourtupgrade -Rf". If you really want to continue to get your hands dirty, continue using ports. However, the efforts with pkgng and poudriere are to keep end users from pointing guns at their feet and then screaming on the lists. We're providing safety belts while still giving you the same power as when you build from ports.

-sabnzbdplus port maintainer, feld

So whats the new combo? I'm used to using "portsnap fetch update" then "portupgrade -a" every so often.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

evol262 posted:

Unrelated, but what is a better python openssl API wrapper to use/why is that terrible?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Ninja Rope posted:

Unrelated, but what is a better python openssl API wrapper to use/why is that terrible?

Essentially, see this. There's nothing inherently wrong with it if you need to access OpenSSL or CommonCrypto primitives directly, but it's potentially dangerous. This is broadly true of everything involving SSL, though, and there's not really a better wrapper. They're all equally bad.

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

roadhead, that sabnzbd issue -- is this running FreeBSD 10 and you updated to 10.0-RELEASE-p1 (fixing heartbleed), later discovering you couldn't start sabnzbdplus anymore? My suspicion is that you updated to -p1 and then also updated ports because you wanted to do an upgrading spree -- fix whichever security updates might be lurking about.

Anyway, if my suspicious are correct, updating to -p1 broke Python's security/py-openssl and that was the port you needed to rebuild.

roadhead
Dec 25, 2001

feld posted:

roadhead, that sabnzbd issue -- is this running FreeBSD 10 and you updated to 10.0-RELEASE-p1 (fixing heartbleed), later discovering you couldn't start sabnzbdplus anymore? My suspicion is that you updated to -p1 and then also updated ports because you wanted to do an upgrading spree -- fix whichever security updates might be lurking about.

Anyway, if my suspicious are correct, updating to -p1 broke Python's security/py-openssl and that was the port you needed to rebuild.

Those assumptions sound right.

I also took this opportunity to stop starting another tmux terminal to su to a different user (named ps3ms of course!) to start SABnzbd.py manually whenever I rebooted the box.

As you can imagine I often find a way to force things to be "workin' good enough" even if its not ultimately the correct solution.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

On an unrelated note, the new native iSCSI target seems to work fine for my very limited needs - I exported a zvol from the fileserver at home (a 4-disk raidz, partition of the boot SSD as ZIL), mounted it in windows, and since things seemed to work fine, installed titanfall (48GB? :catstare: ) on it, and generally didn't notice the non-local part of it at all. It was even fairly easy to set up.

On the downside, I have a sudden urge to spend money on some 10GB NICs.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Apr 22, 2014

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

I'm having a few issues with the new pkg tool and I don't know how to resolve them. I have a number of packages where the version number is recorded incorrectly. For example, I upgraded from firefox 20 to 27 and then 28, but it shows version 20, even though the other information for the package seems to be correct. I looked through the pkg check options, and searched around for relevant info but I'm at a loss for how to fix the stale info here :confused:

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

That almost sounds like you've managed to accidentally mix the packaging systems ... though if you used "pkg upgrade" to upgrade it, that would be rather odd.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Computer viking posted:

That almost sounds like you've managed to accidentally mix the packaging systems ... though if you used "pkg upgrade" to upgrade it, that would be rather odd.

Yesterday I upgraded the system using freebsd-upgrade, which went fairly smoothly, but I also upgraded a bunch of packages to fix vulnerabilities that pkg audit picked up, which then proceeded to break many things. I did eventually get things sorted, but eventually I'm going to just nuke it and start fresh.

I can see at least part of the problem if I look in /var/db/pkg; there are directories for both the old and new versions. The old version has most of the bookkeeping files, the new version just has the distfiles file and nothing else. There's nothing in pkg set that allows you to modify the version though. I've found I can fix them individually by using pkg remove, deleting the directory in var and then pkg install, which while annoying it does work. I'm not seeing any easier route to fix this; thankfully it's just a handful of mixed up entries though.

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

Broken Machine posted:

I can see at least part of the problem if I look in /var/db/pkg; there are directories for both the old and new versions.

:stonk:

There should only be the following in /var/db/pkg:
code:
/var/db/pkg > ls
auditfile               local.sqlite            repo-freebsd.sqlite     vuln.xml
If you have other dirs in there from the old package format you must have skipped running "pkg2ng"

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
What a good excuse for you to install the brand new OpenBSD 5.5 release, now guaranteed without year 2038 problem!

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

Riso posted:

What a good excuse for you to install the brand new OpenBSD 5.5 release, now guaranteed without year 2038 problem!

That you're a leet H4[|<3R? If an excuse didn't come naturally to you I don't know what to say...

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

Riso posted:

but still has a year 2106 problem

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

feld posted:

:stonk:

There should only be the following in /var/db/pkg:
code:

/var/db/pkg > ls
auditfile               local.sqlite            repo-freebsd.sqlite     vuln.xml

If you have other dirs in there from the old package format you must have skipped running "pkg2ng"

I have a shitload of directories in there. I thought it was a known FreeBSD issue that crap gets dumped in their from stuff other than pkg. At least three tools: pkg, portmaster, and pkg_tools all dump their crap in the same directory.

Yes, even if you run pkg2ng and never use the legacy stuff again. portmaster (configured "WITH_PKGNG=yes") dumps stuff in there every time I build something with it.

Go back a few pages, I thought I had asked about it. It seems like a clusterfuck, as previous versions may have cleaned that directory, then someone changed it and now it doesn't (but maybe it should).

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

ahh, you still use postmaster. Well that's the postmaster maintainer's decision I guess. Unforunately I can't verify as I don't have any machines that I use postmaster on; I've been using poudriere for probably a year now, so all the port/package building is handled cleanly in jails and not even on the physical production machines.

roadhead
Dec 25, 2001

Shouldn't it be possible to have a ZFS file system spread across multiple pools?

For example I have a 6x1.5 Raidz, 4x1.5 Raidz, and 2x2 mirror. I could make a filesystem that was mirrored to all three pools right?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Just for clarity, a raidz / mirror / single disk is a vdev, not a pool - the pool is the entire unified bucket of storage.

With that out of the way, you want to set up a few different vdevs (why not identical ones?) and three-way mirror over those, giving you useful capacity equal to the useful capacity of the smallest of the three mirrored vdevs? I don't think there's a simple way to do that. However, you can get reasonably close by adding the different vdevs to a pool as usual (this will give you a pool with capacity that's the sum of the vdevs in it), and then setting copies=3 . If I'm reading this right, ZFS will try to put the redundant copies on different vdevs - which ought to create a similar effect.

edit: I was bored at work. Something like this:

editagain: If it helps, you can also add more vdevs to a pool later. Any new data will preferentially go to the least full vdev in the pool (in an attempt to balance them). This means you can stuff another stack of (ideally identical) disks into the machine and expand onto them. I have no idea what copies=N will do in that case.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 16:18 on May 9, 2014

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
I'm learning to use OpenBSD as a Server out of interests sake, I've been mainly using it in virtual box where everything has been very easy and I'm looking to expand outwards to a full time computer to use.

Would I have any issue using an old Apple iBook 12.1" with a 1.2ghz Power G4 and 256mb (likely) of RAM. I won't be using the X Window system. I know the minimum requirements of Open BSD are lower than that but I can only find it for x86/amd64. I'm going to buy it even if it isn't suitable, for $20 including shipping it is a steal.

EDIT: Found a picture with full details. 1.07ghz Power G4 and 768mb of Ram. It also has a wireless card inside (thank god).

Lord Windy fucked around with this message at 07:30 on May 10, 2014

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Lord Windy posted:

I'm learning to use OpenBSD as a Server out of interests sake, I've been mainly using it in virtual box where everything has been very easy and I'm looking to expand outwards to a full time computer to use.

Would I have any issue using an old Apple iBook 12.1" with a 1.2ghz Power G4 and 256mb (likely) of RAM. I won't be using the X Window system. I know the minimum requirements of Open BSD are lower than that but I can only find it for x86/amd64. I'm going to buy it even if it isn't suitable, for $20 including shipping it is a steal.

EDIT: Found a picture with full details. 1.07ghz Power G4 and 768mb of Ram. It also has a wireless card inside (thank god).

You're looking for the macppc port: http://www.openbsd.org/macppc.html

Power G4 is on the supported hardware list.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
This is getting a little silly:

code:
# freebsd-update install

The following files will be updated as part of updating to 9.2-RELEASE-p8:
/boot/kernel/linker.hints
https://forums.freebsd.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=46269

https://forums.freebsd.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=46369

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2014-May/257947.html

https://bugs.freebsd.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=189249

No matter how many times you update/install "/boot/kernel/linker.hints", the update program will tell you that it needs to be updated/installed again.

It was supposedly fixed in the 9.2-RELEASE-p6 update (as well as for 8.4, 9.1, etc.), but it was not.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
OK, so I've been using OpenBSD for awhile and learnt quite a few things but now I have gotten really stuck with something. I for the life of me cannot work out how to get data onto the thing.

I know about pkg_add and all that, I've managed to set up a web server and other things but I cannot work out how to put data I own onto it. I'm used to Mac OSX and Windows being really easy, mounting CDs and USB devices for me. So how do I do it with OpenBSD? Whatever way is easiest, I don't really care if you show me how to do it with a ftp server, cd, usb or some other magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Lord Windy posted:

OK, so I've been using OpenBSD for awhile and learnt quite a few things but now I have gotten really stuck with something. I for the life of me cannot work out how to get data onto the thing.

I know about pkg_add and all that, I've managed to set up a web server and other things but I cannot work out how to put data I own onto it. I'm used to Mac OSX and Windows being really easy, mounting CDs and USB devices for me. So how do I do it with OpenBSD? Whatever way is easiest, I don't really care if you show me how to do it with a ftp server, cd, usb or some other magic.

Set up ssh (if you didn't enable it in the installer) and use scp

• Locked thread