Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Portals
Apr 18, 2012

Avshalom posted:

the steam also somehow got under the paint on my bathroom walls and ceiling, forming these apricot-sized balloons of loose paint. they were still hanging there like otherworldly fungi when i moved out

you are the main character of a book that the rest of us are just side characters

I'm okay with that, I've never felt like a main character

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i was reading through vintage books on chest of books a few years ago when i found this unfortunate transcription (you may not be aware that in archaic cursive, the s and f look very similar to each other):

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Chiba City Blues posted:

my sister used to have acid reflux super bad so i wouldn't be surprised tbh

i'd try some antacids if you have them. might want to consider using prilosec or something too

stimulated emission
Apr 25, 2011

D-D-D-D-D-D-DEEPER
choose to give gently caress

stimulated emission
Apr 25, 2011

D-D-D-D-D-D-DEEPER

Wildlife Analysis posted:

i'd try some antacids if you have them. might want to consider using prilosec or something too

i got rexall bismuth tablets :buddy:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I only really listen to F plus and have been working through Night Vale, the latter only really so I can chat with friends. Nothing I need to focus on since I listen to them as I work on other poo poo.

PS- don't suppose anyone has a button-making machine that they'd sell me for cheap?

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Portals posted:

you are the main character of a book that the rest of us are just side characters

I'm okay with that, I've never felt like a main character
you can be the cool and loveable side character that all the readers like better than the main character :kiddo:

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012

baking soda's super cheap and works as well as antacids, my friend gets awful heartburn and she swears by it

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
i'm pretty sure baking soda would taste terrible though

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

blow a guy and find out

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012

it puts hair on your chest

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012

Pick posted:

blow a guy and find out

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Pick posted:

blow a guy and find out

nah thanks, I'm good

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012

nah thanks, I'm good

semen is a good antacid i've heard

stimulated emission
Apr 25, 2011

D-D-D-D-D-D-DEEPER

GrrrlSweatshirt posted:

baking soda's super cheap and works as well as antacids, my friend gets awful heartburn and she swears by it

i guess it makes sense since baking soda is basic
on a chemistry level at least idk anything about biowhatever medicine doctor stuff

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

GrrrlSweatshirt posted:

gonna need some citations

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
i'm wearing my dedicated sleeping hoodie

it was sold as a sleeping hoodie

good thing it has a hood, since i hate getting rained on when i sleep

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Pick posted:

i'm wearing my dedicated sleeping hoodie

it was sold as a sleeping hoodie

good thing it has a hood, since i hate getting rained on when i sleep

well really if keeping the rain off you was the goal, they should've sold you a sleeping parka

GrrrlSweatshirt posted:

my stomach is made of iron, tyvm

Thora
Aug 21, 2006

Look on my Posts, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away

amarantinesky posted:

Actually Thora I mixed you up with Tora! Tora! Tora! - you guys need more unique names dammit - so you haven't flirted with anyone yet. :( Tempus Fugit was flirting with Tora!

Doh. That also answers the question as to why I had short red hair all of a sudden :sparkles:

Corn Thongs
Feb 13, 2004

GrrrlSweatshirt posted:

heroin was marketed as an aid for kicking morphine and molly was invented by bayer and sold as a weight loss drug

i dunno about heroin but mdma is A+ at making you not eat

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

GrrrlSweatshirt posted:

heroin was marketed as an aid for kicking morphine and molly was invented by bayer and sold as a weight loss drug

the germans fought world war 2 on meth

so did we, but we don't have any cool slang like "tanker candy" (literally: "tank chocolate") about it

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

I've got banana-choc-chip-strawberry-liquer cupcakes in the oven, and last night I cooked steak strips with a thinly sliced star fruit, a nectarine, and an apple. :chef:

stimulated emission
Apr 25, 2011

D-D-D-D-D-D-DEEPER
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZZkZPcxp_I
puppy rollin down a hill

good puppy

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

aww it's wearing a little hoodie :3:

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
my mum just sent me this photo

*ominous music*

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

IT'S HAPPENING

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
yep bicarb is a++ for excess stomach acid i use it all the time bc of boozy gutrot

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

Tora! Tora! Tora! posted:

I have a poo poo load of books (basically an entire room) and I am so tired of owning so many things. I really don't reread stuff much, I think I hold onto books as a talisman, to define myself and prove to the work who I am. But I don't think I need to do that anymore. I really want to pare down to just one or two bookcases max and donate the rest.

I reread books until they fall apart, which gives me more of an excuse but really not much of one still. I have pared down my collection quite a bit, every time I'm at my dad's (not often) he needs more room in the garage storage loft, so I go through all my stored stuff and donate as much as I can, toss some things (Last summer, I threw away my Relationships Keepsakes Box and then cried like a baby later on), pick other things to bring home to sell (lots of ridiculous goth clothes I will never wear again) or keep, and re-store the rest. I'm down to nine of those giant rubbermaid tubs of books, two of clothes, and one of miscellany. Doin' good. The nine tubs also include all of the kids books and YA stuff I'm saving for my kid. Right now, he pretends to read, and then eventually has a destructive fit and tears the books up after we've read them to him too much, so.. I'm not giving him any of my old books yet.

amarantinesky posted:

I was copying Crow Jane there's no way I know how to spell that crazy name! People who think thirty books are a lot make me sad. So many people never read. :(

Also I was reading your blog and it's really good! I feel so makeup incompetent now though, haha. I apparently have a Sally Beauty Supply like five minutes away so I think I'm going to check out that China Glaze nail polish I hear about.

I googled the name, and also googled the misspelling to make sure that wasn't Another Author.

I'm glad you like my blog! Like, really glad. It's tiny and it doesn't get much traffic (roughly 200 hits a month) and very specifically want it to appeal to people with senses of humor. I also don't want anyone to feel incompetent, it's more of a "Look at the world of wonders that awaits you if this is your kind of thing" vibe, ideally. China Glaze is p. good, they carry OPI which is good as well. You might check and see if you have an Ulta, Sephora, or Beauty Brands near by, Ulta and Beauty Brands carry a ton of OPI, CG, and similar brands, and Sephora carries some. Ulta also has Zoya, which is my favorite of the lower-mid-end polish brands. LOOK AT THE HAIR COLOR LOOPS WHEN YOU GO TO SALLY'S.

Essie is another brand I love, they're at drugstores and Target and Walmart. I think Target and some Walmarts get OPI, too.

amarantinesky posted:

I didn't even bother reading it. Like 75% of the time those life changing books beloved by book clubs are terrible. Sometimes they are good but I'm prejudiced against them from bad experiences. I thought Life After Life had a cool premise though but also the early 1900s are a great setting.

Ugh someone bought me "A Million Tiny Pieces" or whatever it was called back when Oprah was pimping it. I was sober and trying to stay that way and I couldn't really get it across that reading about drug use made me want to use some drat drugs, and reading about someone being institutionalized was just depressing. Wasn't very interesting, either.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
only decent book i read from oprahs book club was the road and then that got me into cormac mccarthy in general

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
ahahahahaha did oprah's book club read the road?? that owns

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
wonder what the book club thought about the father and son finding that basement full of hacked up people people kept alive as food begging to be killed

or when they see a large group of men going by with chained up women in various stages of pregnancy and also boys used for sex

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
clutched their pearls and got the vapours

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
lordy lordy

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
every suburban mom dreams in her secret heart that her prison will be layed waste with flame

on the last day the gated communities will spring open and the soccer fields will give up their dead

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
hail satan

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

I'm reading R. A. Salvatore atm because I am a 14yo nerdboy in my soul. Next will be Brandon Sanderson's new one and I just finished How To Be a Woman by Caitlin Moran, it was funny.

I need to read less fantasy. I did read Water for Elephants on a recommendation from a friend and judged her super hard for how amazing she thought it was. I was in the middle of Consider Phlebas but something distracted me, probably 14 yo nerdboy stuff.

Conference Buddy is a drag, he's reading papers on our last day even though supervisor is goooone and can't judge us. I can't wait till we have to check out and he's forced to go outside.

pixelbaron posted:

hail satan

teenytinymouse fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Mar 14, 2014

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i like reading negative reviews for one hundred years of solitude because ~50% of them start with some variation of "i read this because of oprah's book club and i didn't think it was very good at all"

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

Shannonmcn posted:

I'm reading R. A. Salvatore atm because I am a 14yo nerdboy in my soul. Next will be Brandon Sanderson's new one and I just finished How To Be a Woman by Caitlin Moran, it was funny.

I need to read less fantasy. I did read Water for Elephants on a recommendation from a friend and judged her super hard for how amazing she thought it was. I was in the middle of Consider Phlebas but something distracted me, probably 14 yo nerdboy stuff.

Conference Buddy is a drag, he's reading papers on our last day even though supervisor is goooone and can't judge us. I can't wait till we have to check out and he's forced to go outside.

I read R A Salvatore again recently (Dark Elf and Icewind Dale) because I love them. They were my very first foray into SciFi and I am ever so glad they were my Gateway Drug.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

Avshalom posted:

i like reading negative reviews for one hundred years of solitude because ~50% of them start with some variation of "i read this because of oprah's book club and i didn't think it was very good at all"

I missed most of the book chat because work, but I am a "Oprah's Book Club" judger, too. I don't have a lot of paper books anymore because we have weight limits when we move. But I love them. Also I collect old cookbooks from communities and clubs, so if you see one, I'll pay for it! (I like the church ones, too. Lots of Aunt Mabel's Meatloaf and biscuit recipes.) :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

I'm assuming Oprah book club is the US equivalent of Richard and Judy book list which are always, without exception, terrible.

I guess people just love books about WWII orphans or kids being molested and overcoming it or someone's husband dying then they learn to love life again or like, young women finding themselves through travelling the world and loving foreign dudes. That covers all old people books except football manager or woman-who-had-cancer autobiographies.

• Locked thread