Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Mind Loving Owl posted:

At least Dante put unbaptized children in the part of Hell without suffering. I wouldn't put it past most freepers to suggest they go to one of the worse circles.

Wasn't Ninth Circle for traitors and people who broke hospitality? Like Judas (fulfil your role in some prophecy and look where it gets ya) or Marc Antony? Muhammad went to the Eighth Circle for Apostasy. Apparently Dante viewed Islam as a offshot of Christianity.

I don't have my copy to hand, but I could have sworn that Muhammad was condemned to walk laps around the lake of ice in which Lucifer was partialy frozen, and whenever he passed beneath the fallen angel, Lucifer would brain him or something like that.

"Islam as a Christian heresy" was not a particularly uncommon thing when that newer religion first got going in the 7th-early 8th centuries (particularly among the Eastern churches), but I would have thought it had died off by the time Dante was writing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

The regeneration is failing! Hooooo...

VitalSigns posted:

Coming up with a new religion is one thing, but not obeying your dictator (whom God divinely selected) and supporting a republic instead, now that's some real bad poo poo.

Always support your monarch, usurping the throne is wrong. Even though the monarch you support probably either overthrew the last one or is the close descendent of a usurper. So by standing by the king you're probably betraying the last one.

Well we're all going to Hell anyway, might as well be cold instead of hot. And the Caesar thing probably isn't helped by the fetish old Europe seemed to have for him.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
The Ninth Cirlce (Like most of the lower ones) was broken down into smaller subsections. Judas, Brutus, and Cassius were in the absolute lowest parts. Like Literally In One Of Satan's Three Mouths Each lowest.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

The Ninth Cirlce (Like most of the lower ones) was broken down into smaller subsections. Judas, Brutus, and Cassius were in the absolute lowest parts. Like Literally In One Of Satan's Three Mouths Each lowest.
And Satan was below all of them because he had committed the ultimate treason (by rebelling against God).

Dirt5o8
Nov 6, 2008

EUGENE? Where's my fuckin' money, Eugene?
Medieval self-insert fanfics are the best self-insert fanfics.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

VitalSigns posted:

Coming up with a new religion is one thing, but not obeying your dictator (whom God divinely selected) and supporting a republic instead, now that's some real bad poo poo.

Yeah lets support the ruling aristocracy instead of the populist leader, eventually it will all trickle down.

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

Dirt5o8 posted:

Medieval self-insert fanfics are the best self-insert fanfics.

In four centuries people will be making video games and basing their conception of Hell on Jimrob's Commie-poo poo Hole.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

VitalSigns posted:

Brutus and Cassius were in the 9th Circle for their betrayal of Julius Caesar (alongside Judas for his betrayal of Christ of course).

Allow me to retort.

http://www.schooltube.com/video/53efe6c2cf1bb89f9e82/

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi

LowellDND posted:

tl:dr War stories, drinking, family drama.

I worked Fallujah Iraq in 2006, right before the surge. I came back, tried college for a bit, started to notice long term PTSD symptoms. Everyone comes back with alertness, not everyone keeps them. My dad gave me a bottle of rum when I got back, which was basically my first time drinking. This developed into a problem as time went on.

My year back of college was catastrophic, and my family staged an intervention. Stop drinking so much, stop loving up in class, pull yourself together, get over it. I packed my things, left in the middle of the night, left Boston, drove to friends in Kentucky. Canceled all my VA appointments, switched to VA in Kentucky. This is important later.

I was still in the Reserves (USMC), and trying to get my degree (political science), so pretty much my entire professional life was triggering my PTSD. I kept trying to get appointments with the Kentucky VA, but they kept changing dates, canceling on me, yelling at me for not coming to canceled appointments, things like that. At the same time, my unit was yelling at me for not trying hard enough to get therapy, and I was obviously faking. The informal policy at my unit was 90% of PTSD claims were fakers.

So I took some razor blades, carved myself up pretty good, and went to the VA ER, told them I was a threat to myself and others. They put me in lockdown for a week, and then transferred me to a 6 week PTSD vet clinic. For some ungodly reason, they refused to tell my unit where I was, even when I gave them repeated permission, so I dodged some Nonjudicial Punishment only by the grace of my Sergeant, who was a god at the political/beuraurcratic games.

Anyway. I got medication, I got therapy, after several years the VA finally agreed I did in fact have PTSD (it took 5 years and repeated appeals), and I left the USMC with an honorable discharge and 70% disability. When I moved back to Boston, I found an *awesome* shrink who walked me through cognitive behavioral therapy and a fitness routine. He also got me (mostly) off the alcohol, which Ive only had on… about 2 weeks of the last two years.

Through all of this, my dad has slowly been being eaten by Fox News. He was career Air Force, and worked Finance. I was one contact USMC, did Infantry, saw the war. He’s been swinging increasingly far right, while I’ve been going increasingly far left. So, while I knew he was anti-welfare etc, I was still shocked when he and my step-mom (who I thought was a nice person), started making really harsh comments about people who live off the system, don’t work, don’t pay their share, etc. I thought they were being generic at first, but no, I’m pretty sure they were talking about my years of disability and trauma.

And I’m just :psyduck:. I do appreciate being able to talk about this here - my life is great, college is great, gf is great, and my PTSD is quite manageable. Im just stunned at this sudden reveal of my dad, who I thought I was on good terms with. And I think some of the people in this thread have had similar things occur.

Jesus, hang in there dude. My buddy was in Iraq at the same time, 1st ID, and he came back with some pretty severe PTSD that people misunderstand all the loving time. The same people who don't understand the horrors of PTSD are the kind of people who tell a suicidal/depressed person to "get over it" or "stop being such a pussy". It's a product of our society not paying half a gently caress of attention to mental healthcare.

Rambling. Glad things are better, dude. You're a stronger person than I could ever be, and I'm sorry you've had to deal with this bullshit.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

LowellDND posted:

tl:dr War stories, drinking, family drama.

I worked Fallujah Iraq in 2006, right before the surge. I came back, tried college for a bit, started to notice long term PTSD symptoms. Everyone comes back with alertness, not everyone keeps them. My dad gave me a bottle of rum when I got back, which was basically my first time drinking. This developed into a problem as time went on.

My year back of college was catastrophic, and my family staged an intervention. Stop drinking so much, stop loving up in class, pull yourself together, get over it. I packed my things, left in the middle of the night, left Boston, drove to friends in Kentucky. Canceled all my VA appointments, switched to VA in Kentucky. This is important later.

I was still in the Reserves (USMC), and trying to get my degree (political science), so pretty much my entire professional life was triggering my PTSD. I kept trying to get appointments with the Kentucky VA, but they kept changing dates, canceling on me, yelling at me for not coming to canceled appointments, things like that. At the same time, my unit was yelling at me for not trying hard enough to get therapy, and I was obviously faking. The informal policy at my unit was 90% of PTSD claims were fakers.

So I took some razor blades, carved myself up pretty good, and went to the VA ER, told them I was a threat to myself and others. They put me in lockdown for a week, and then transferred me to a 6 week PTSD vet clinic. For some ungodly reason, they refused to tell my unit where I was, even when I gave them repeated permission, so I dodged some Nonjudicial Punishment only by the grace of my Sergeant, who was a god at the political/beuraurcratic games.

Anyway. I got medication, I got therapy, after several years the VA finally agreed I did in fact have PTSD (it took 5 years and repeated appeals), and I left the USMC with an honorable discharge and 70% disability. When I moved back to Boston, I found an *awesome* shrink who walked me through cognitive behavioral therapy and a fitness routine. He also got me (mostly) off the alcohol, which Ive only had on… about 2 weeks of the last two years.

Through all of this, my dad has slowly been being eaten by Fox News. He was career Air Force, and worked Finance. I was one contact USMC, did Infantry, saw the war. He’s been swinging increasingly far right, while I’ve been going increasingly far left. So, while I knew he was anti-welfare etc, I was still shocked when he and my step-mom (who I thought was a nice person), started making really harsh comments about people who live off the system, don’t work, don’t pay their share, etc. I thought they were being generic at first, but no, I’m pretty sure they were talking about my years of disability and trauma.

And I’m just :psyduck:. I do appreciate being able to talk about this here - my life is great, college is great, gf is great, and my PTSD is quite manageable. Im just stunned at this sudden reveal of my dad, who I thought I was on good terms with. And I think some of the people in this thread have had similar things occur.

Hang in there, man. It's awesome that you're getting therapy and quit drinking and getting on with your life.

And I know it's tough to ignore your dad, but do. Guy did 20 years behind a desk and now he wants to give you poo poo because you came back from Fallujah with trauma? gently caress that guy.

janklow
Sep 28, 2001

whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent.

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I don't have my copy to hand, but I could have sworn that Muhammad was condemned to walk laps around the lake of ice in which Lucifer was partialy frozen, and whenever he passed beneath the fallen angel, Lucifer would brain him or something like that.
flipping through my copy, Mind Loving Owl is right: Dante put Muhammad in Circle Eight, Bolgia Nine with the sowers of religious discord. he and Ali have massive reciprocal wounds and Muhammad's specifically has him dragging all his organs around.

Dante wasn't a fan, i suppose

Finnankainen
Oct 14, 2012
Freep has officially blown my mind. Freepers, who never miss an opportunity to :tinfoil: about homosex and the gaystapo, unanimously think that the idea that Disney's Frozen is pro-gay is unfounded. 70 posts all in agreement. About there not being any gay overtones in a Hollywood production. It's like everything i knew about Freep is wrong. :psyduck:

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/3132610/posts

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Finnankainen posted:

Freep has officially blown my mind. Freepers, who never miss an opportunity to :tinfoil: about homosex and the gaystapo, unanimously think that the idea that Disney's Frozen is pro-gay is unfounded. 70 posts all in agreement. About there not being any gay overtones in a Hollywood production. It's like everything i knew about Freep is wrong. :psyduck:

Why the gently caress were they even watching a Disney movie? I'd say they probably didn't see it but then they'd just assume it was gay.

...I suppose perhaps one of their Talk Radio prophets mentioned that they liked it?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

MeLKoR posted:

Yeah lets support the ruling aristocracy instead of the populist leader, eventually it will all trickle down.

So you want to see Caesar spend mah tax denarii:bahgawd: on bread for lazy mooching plebs? Why not give them gubmint circuses while you're at it!

Without the republic and the Senate, there's nothing to protect the most oppressed Roman minority of all: Latin-speaking Patrician men!

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Why the gently caress were they even watching a Disney movie? I'd say they probably didn't see it but then they'd just assume it was gay.

...I suppose perhaps one of their Talk Radio prophets mentioned that they liked it?

Probably did what my grandparents did, took a young grandchild to see it. Except my grandparents aren't horrible, terrible people.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Finnankainen posted:

Goddamn, even when they're completely in agreement, they still manage to be completely wrong. That takes talent.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Why the gently caress were they even watching a Disney movie?

My folks have seen it, they went to the movies with my niece.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Zeroisanumber posted:

My folks have seen it, they went to the movies with my niece.

Before or after Disney homofagged the Boy Scouts?

Glass Hand
Apr 24, 2006

Just one more finger, Trent.

Captain_Maclaine posted:

"Islam as a Christian heresy" was not a particularly uncommon thing when that newer religion first got going in the 7th-early 8th centuries (particularly among the Eastern churches), but I would have thought it had died off by the time Dante was writing.

Dante was actually living at a time when the Christian conception of Islam was changing quite a bit, and the old idea of Islam as a Christological heresy - basically repackaged Arianism - was being challenged right around the time he was writing. But the idea of Islam as a heresy of Christianity would long outlast him. It's become passe in the modern era of interfaith dialogue but the view still has some adherents among conservative Catholics and Protestants alike (not sure about the Orthodox churches). I've met some; there are probably some on Freep. In my experience, however, that kind of person is less interested in the history of Islam or a useful definition of "heresy" than in scoring rhetorical points, because if Islam is a "heresy" that means it's not a "real religion."

Glass Hand fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Mar 14, 2014

The Albatross
Jan 28, 2009
I dunno, seems to me saying Islam is a Christian heresy is less ahistorical than the more popular view among the Christian right that "THEY DONT WORSHIP GOD THEY WORSHIP 'ALLAH'!!"

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

This is from Breitbart and I want to believe this is some sort of mockery of republican beliefs but I doubt it

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2014/03/12/Obama-strategy-five-distractions#comment-1283081044

quote:

AFTER WE TAKE OUR COUNTRY BACK in 2014 and 2016, here's just the beginning of the agenda for the first 100 days:

1. Inaugeration: Invite Benjamin Netanyahu to be the Nation's honorary guest and after thanking God Almighty for the United States of America, repenting for "the sins of those who presided before us", asking for the Almighty's forgiveness and continued protection from our enemies...then spend the next 15-minutes thanking God for Israel and telling the world "The United States of America STANDS with our treasured ally."

2. Go on an Apology Tour to all our allies for the abhorant, dispicable, demonic-ridden administration known as "Barack Obama's evil failed attempt to abort our precious Constitution and destroy our country."

Then...

3. Abolish IRS / Implement a Flat Tax.
4. Abolish EPA / Unlock America's natural resources (Yes to Keystone Pipeline STAT).
5. Abolish the Department of Education.
6. Abolish Common Core / Give us our kids back.
7. Abolish ALL notions of amnesty / Secure our borders...TRULY!
8. Wage War on Michael Weinstein & LGBT Mafia.
9. Overturn Roe v. Wade / Give us the NEXT generation back!
10. Return 'Unemployment Benefits' to 26 Weeks...PERIOD!
11. Make Mark Levin our Attorneys General / Give us our CONSTITUTION back!
12. Make it ILLEGAL to begin raising money and campaigning for ANY office until 6 months prior to said election (Presidency gets a full year).
13. Establish Term Limits for ALL Branches.
14. QUADRUPLE DOWN on rebuilding our military with REAL LEADERS who have a set of Constitutional CAJONES!
15. Reinstate the US missile defense complex in Poland and Czech Republic - European Interceptor Site (EIS) - on steroids.
16. Appoint Special Prosecutor for Fast and Furious / Arrest Eric Holder with NO BAIL.
17. Appoint Special Prosecutor for Benghazi / Arrest Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton with NO BAIL.
18. Appoint Special Prosecutor for IRS / Arrest Lois Lerner with NO BAIL.
19. Arrest John Boehner for NOT appointing Special Prosecutors when he Constitutionally could/should have with NO BAIL.
20. Repeal the Wagner Act.
21. Remove federal funding from all universities with 'studies' courses.
22. Make Affirmative Action and race-based hiring illegal.
23. Prosecute La Raza, MALDEF and LULAC under the RICO Act...and 'a strong perhaps' re: the NAACP.
24. Remove all federal funding from so-called Sanctuary Cities.
25. Charge the designers and implementers of Common Core with subversion.
26. Defend DOMA.
27. Arrest Al Sharpton and charge him with incitement to riot and manslaughter in the deaths Yankel Rosenbaum and the people killed in the fire at Freddie's Fashion Mart.
28. Arrest Malik Shabazz, the head of the New Black Panthers, and charge him and some of his thugs with interference in a Federal Election.
29. Arrest Malik Shabazz and some of his thugs, and charge him and them with solicitation for murder regarding the 'bounty signs for the death of George Zimmerman' they displayed.
30. Kick all Muslims out of the Armed Services.
31. Remove all Muslims from Government offices.
32. Shut down CAIR and arrest the members for aiding and funding terrorist organizations.
33. Outlaw public unions.
34. Assign a Select Committee to entirely audit all government agencies, identify the tentacles of the left and work with the AG to chop them off.
35. Appoint a Special Prosecutor to demand the books of every Planned Parenthood clinic, and do a forensic accounting on how federal money was spent. And then jail all the players, because they have been lying.
36. Shut down the Tides Foundation and charge the executives with laundering money for political purposes.
37. Repeal the 1965 Immigration act.
38. Institute new immigration requirements of having a useful skill or field. And no chain migration; I don't care about Mama and Uncle Whomever in the old country.
39. Repeal all affirmative action regulations.
40. Repeal the sections of the 1964 Civil Rights Act that defacto or dejure turned private property into "public accommodation".
41. Ditto 40 regarding freedom of contract.
42. Ditto 40 regarding freedom of association.
43. Repeal any and all price supports and subsidies. Stand or fall on your own. Yes, Cargill and ADM, I mean you.
44. Begin criminal proceedings against President Obama, Eric Holder, Harry Reid, Lindsey Graham, John Boehner, Mitch McConnell, John McCain, Hillary Clinton, Lois Lerner, David Axlerod, Valerie Jarret, Karl Rove, Norville Renquist and multiple other America-hating STATISTS who have tried to systematically destroy our great country.

And oh yeah, ONE MORE!!!

45. Sue Barack Hussein Obama and his Mooch wife to repay every penny of all the disgraceful vacations they took that included the $100 million African jaunt (and upcoming STUPID China tour for Mooch, Mom and the kids) and Obama's 200+ golf rounds (by the time he's out of office) at taxpayer's expense...which cost, all in, $4 million each outing when you calculate all the secret service, Air Force One expense, etc. And the carbon footprint! Lord, the carbon footprint!!!

And if anyone wants to pile on and provide any suggested edits/additions, please do!!! Because after we TAKE OUR COUNTRY BACK, there's GONNA BE SOME NEW RULES AROUND HERE!!!

P.S. Forgot one - sue by all means possible to overturn the rulings that took prayer out of schools.

P.S.S. And...by lawful force make all MSNBC show hosts wear a sewn-in patch on their backs that says, "KICK ME...HARD!!!"

P.S.S.S. Can't forget this one...REPEAL OBAMACARE and replace with a free market solution with interstate competition.

* Two Late additions (HT Celebrate Homogeneity):

- Legislate a NEW Wagner Act: mandates that any enclosed shopping mall must play classical and baroque music over the PA system to keep the ferals (radical environmentalists) at bay.

- I would, finally, launch a committee to study the Constitutionality of every single government agency from the Department of the Interior to the FBI to the Fed to EPA to Dept of Ed to Dept of Energy to the FCC (beyond regulation of technology standards and conformance with international treaties regarding spectrum allotments and callsigns), etc.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
I want to believe as well because loving hell that is an exhaustive laundry list of crazy :stare: I wonder if/when Hillary wins he'd/he'll just poo poo his goal posts again as his mind further divorces itself from reality, or just stick a gun in his mouth.

Glass Hand
Apr 24, 2006

Just one more finger, Trent.

The Albatross posted:

I dunno, seems to me saying Islam is a Christian heresy is less ahistorical than the more popular view among the Christian right that "THEY DONT WORSHIP GOD THEY WORSHIP 'ALLAH'!!"

Well, leaving aside the gross misunderstanding of how translation works, what they're probably trying to do is dispute the ecumenical conciliatory rhetoric that "we [followers of Abrahamic religions] all worship the same God." That's not necessarily an "ahistorical" point of view given the long history in the Christian tradition of calling Muslims pagans, godless, or idolaters, denying quite forcefully any shared object of worship between the faiths.

quote:

11. Make Mark Levin our Attorneys General / Give us our CONSTITUTION back!
16. Appoint Special Prosecutor for Fast and Furious / Arrest Eric Holder with NO BAIL.
17. Appoint Special Prosecutor for Benghazi / Arrest Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton with NO BAIL.
18. Appoint Special Prosecutor for IRS / Arrest Lois Lerner with NO BAIL.
19. Arrest John Boehner for NOT appointing Special Prosecutors when he Constitutionally could/should have with NO BAIL.
(etc.)

"Give us our Constitution back, so we can throw it away again!"

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

FMguru posted:

Check out the first Rambo movie ("First Blood") - the bad guy is a redneck southern sheriff who has no use for hippie loser Vietnam vets

If you read the book or looked closely at the wall behind him in the Sheriff's office, you'll see that he was also a decorated Korean War vet.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

A crazy person posted:

- Legislate a NEW Wagner Act: mandates that any enclosed shopping mall must play classical and baroque music over the PA system to keep the ferals (radical environmentalists) at bay.

I'm gonna have to go with this is a fake. If there's one thing I've learned from freep, it's that good old 'MERICAN firearms will keep out "the ferals", not that sissy European music. :freep:

BadOptics fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Mar 14, 2014

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

Glass Hand posted:

Well, leaving aside the gross misunderstanding of how translation works, what they're probably trying to do is dispute the ecumenical conciliatory rhetoric that "we [followers of Abrahamic religions] all worship the same God." That's not necessarily an "ahistorical" point of view given the long history in the Christian tradition of calling Muslims pagans, godless, or idolaters, denying quite forcefully any shared object of worship between the faiths.

"Give us our Constitution back, so we can throw it away again!"

At least they're not quite at the point of calling for summary executions by firing squad.

Also, lol they want a talk show host to be loving Attorney General of the United States. At least no matter how wacky liberals get you don't see them calling for the instillation of Rachel Maddow as Surgeon General or some poo poo.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

skaboomizzy posted:

Anecdotes are not data, but Michael Weinstein wrote a book about the experiences he and his son had the Air Force Academy called "With God On Our Side: One Man's War Against an Evangelical Coup in America's Military". I read a few excerpts some years ago, including one (I think) about some of the stained glass at the chapel featuring the Hand of God clutching some atomic weapon imagery.

Anecdotes are not data, but an atheist friend who was in the AA during the scandal in 2005 verified everything Weinstein talks about. Add to that the Moral Nuclear War class for missile operators, and the actual statistics regarding evangelical chaplain percentages in the service compared to percentage of actual evangelicals in the service and you have a problem.

I'm in an austere location on spotty cell coverage or I'd google source all of this, but essentially 65-70% of chaplains are Southern Baptist/hardcore evangelical vs less than 20% of the whole force.

Fort Lee Va's commanding general gave all of the basic trainees the day off if they chose to go to a Christian Rock Concert on base where they could be preached to, or converted. Those who didn't go were given additional duties. This was in 2010 I believe...

People in all services are being excluded and even punished for not belonging to the right religion, the Air Force is just the worst of them. It's all that holy nuclear armageddon rhetoric that preachers like Ted Haggard have been talking about since Hiroshima.

I remember a Chick tract very specifically being about the showdown with The US and the USSR being the prophecized end of days. It ended with one guy parachuting into Russia to convert as many people as possible before it started. It was quite fatalistic.

Mind Loving Owl posted:

Apparently Dante viewed Islam as a offshot of Christianity.

Technically it is. When Mohammed first had his visions, he went to an uncle who was a Christian and was sure the message was from God, and Mohammed was sure his prophecy was for the Christian Church, but he was rebuffed by christian priests, then he took it to Jewish Rabbis and was rebuffed, so he created Islam. :eng101:

The Albatross posted:

And Spanish Catholics don't worship god, they worship Dio... :regd10:

My Q-Face fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Mar 14, 2014

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

I know he won't, but I really hope Obama comes out against the Europe bans old cheese names from US cheeses thing so Freepers have to choose between siding with the Marxist Muslim Kenyan and nanby pamby liberal Europeans with their gay marriage and healthcare.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

quote:

People in all services are being excluded and even punished for not belonging to the right religion, the Air Force is just the worst of them. It's all that holy nuclear armageddon rhetoric that preachers like Ted Haggard have been talking about since Hiroshima.

Not really getting the Air Force being the most discriminatory towards different religions; it's just the dipshits at the AF Academy were doing their poo poo out in the open and got caught. I'd expect that the same pressure is put on cadets at the other service academies to be more "correct" in their religious affiliations. Around a year or two ago there was an Atheist cadet at West Point who left due to the same atmosphere the AFA had/has.

I would love to see data on what career fields these fundamentalist are in. I've been in the enlisted medical side and have yet to see or hear anything like the stuff reported out of the academies, but I wouldn't be surprised if a large cross section of pilots/front line troops had a higher concentration. Add in who came from a regular state college vs AFA/West Point/Annapolis and high school grads.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

BadOptics posted:

Not really getting the Air Force being the most discriminatory towards different religions; it's just the dipshits at the AF Academy were doing their poo poo out in the open and got caught. I'd expect that the same pressure is put on cadets at the other service academies to be more "correct" in their religious affiliations. Around a year or two ago there was an Atheist cadet at West Point who left due to the same atmosphere the AFA had/has.

I would love to see data on what career fields these fundamentalist are in. I've been in the enlisted medical side and have yet to see or hear anything like the stuff reported out of the academies, but I wouldn't be surprised if a large cross section of pilots/front line troops had a higher concentration. Add in who came from a regular state college vs AFA/West Point/Annapolis and high school grads.

British goon here but I remember something about a total war class against Islam that was talked? Presented it as some sort of clash of civilisations? Might be confused.

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

About that guy's list of crazy, what's common core? Is that like the federal standard for education or something?

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

Stoat posted:

I know he won't, but I really hope Obama comes out against the Europe bans old cheese names from US cheeses thing so Freepers have to choose between siding with the Marxist Muslim Kenyan and nanby pamby liberal Europeans with their gay marriage and healthcare.

Those gay-loving socialists in Europe need to be taught a lesson over this but Obamas weak blustering isn't nearly enough to do it and besides he's just pretending since he's a Marxist too, we need a real leader to put them in their place.

There, I've out-freeped your dilemma.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Lord Twisted posted:

British goon here but I remember something about a total war class against Islam that was talked? Presented it as some sort of clash of civilisations? Might be confused.

You're probably thinking of that air force general who thought he saw satan as a 'dark stain' above the skies of Iraq or whatever, right? He often came out against Islam. I can't for the life of me remember what his name was.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Tias posted:

You're probably thinking of that air force general who thought he saw satan as a 'dark stain' above the skies of Iraq or whatever, right? He often came out against Islam. I can't for the life of me remember what his name was.

I think he's talking about this class: http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2012/05/total-war-islam/

Keep in mind, the instructor's input/intent for the class aside, it was students (that is, senior officers) who objected to and stopped the material being taught.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Mind Loving Owl posted:

About that guy's list of crazy, what's common core? Is that like the federal standard for education or something?

Common Core is a set of standards for language arts and mathematics that was created by agreement of the states' education boards and facilitated by the federal department of education. The standards, which can be found here http://www.corestandards.org include things like

quote:

Delineate a speaker's argument and specific claims, distinguishing claims that are supported by reasons and evidence from claims that are not.

Engage effectively in a range of collaborative discussions (one-on-one, in groups, and teacher-led) with diverse partners on grade 6 topics, texts, and issues, building on others' ideas and expressing their own clearly.

Differentiate between contexts that call for formal English (e.g., presenting ideas) and situations where informal discourse is appropriate (e.g., small-group discussion); use formal English when appropriate to task and situation. (See grade 4 Language standards 1 here for specific expectations.)

and

quote:

Interpret and compute quotients of fractions, and solve word problems involving division of fractions by fractions, e.g., by using visual fraction models and equations to represent the problem.

Much like Agenda 21, this has been interpreted to mean that Obama is going to brainwash our children into Marxist-Ayerism and turn them into commie homofaggots.

Because conservatives are dumb and so goddamn crazy.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

cafel posted:

At least no matter how wacky liberals get you don't see them calling for the instillation of Rachel Maddow as Surgeon General or some poo poo.

I dunno, Michael Moore advocated Opera Winfrey for the position of POTUS. To whatever miniscule credit I can assign the man, he did point out that that position would earn her a smaller salary than her talk show one.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

The Mash posted:

Those gay-loving socialists in Europe need to be taught a lesson over this but Obamas weak blustering isn't nearly enough to do it and besides he's just pretending since he's a Marxist too, we need a real leader to put them in their place.

There, I've out-freeped your dilemma.
That took way too many steps for Freep:
Obama is gay, Europe is gay. Europe gets their trademark in exchange for gay sex wish. Obama hates america and he is gay.
Done.

Oh and moochelle just wanted all the cheese because she is like the inverse moby dick(not racist)

Zedd fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Mar 14, 2014

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.

cafel posted:

Also, lol they want a talk show host to be loving Attorney General of the United States. At least no matter how wacky liberals get you don't see them calling for the instillation of Rachel Maddow as Surgeon General or some poo poo.

Mark Levin has a JD though.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

This is from Breitbart and I want to believe this is some sort of mockery of republican beliefs but I doubt it

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2014/03/12/Obama-strategy-five-distractions#comment-1283081044

Trying to decide when I'd start shooting people if this list were implemented. I imagine right around #16.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

BadOptics posted:

I'm gonna have to go with this is a fake. If there's one thing I've learned from freep, it's that good old 'MERICAN firearms will keep out "the ferals", not that sissy European music. :freep:

That's a LaRouchite meme. They want to protect us from environmentalism, Pokemon, and The Beatles.

• Locked thread