Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
X's postgame was the most tedious thing to me mostly because of the monster arena. I could take the minigames because I am a minigame fiend but the bosses there were the worst kind of horseshit. I probably won't play HD past the ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
Fair. I mean most of them don't require any real kind of strategy. They just require different amounts of power, generally.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

ShadeofDante posted:

I forgot how good Auron's VA was in a game full of Tidus and Yuna's horrible voice direction.

Edit: I actually really think Tidus' voice actor is a great fit for his character. Yuna was my only really big complaint other than the HA HA HA scene.

Auron's mouth is covered. He doesn't have any lip flaps to match, unlike the poor sods who played everyone else.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Wakka's voice acting's always going to hold a special place in my heart just because of how hard John DiMaggio was phoning it in. I mean, god drat. Also because he was generally a fun goofball in a game that pretty desperately needed one.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Pureauthor posted:

Auron's mouth is covered. He doesn't have any lip flaps to match, unlike the poor sods who played everyone else.

There has to be a way to automate the lip-syncing to some degree to the voice actors. They would still have to match sentence length, and I don't have any idea how to program something like that, but I've seen way more complicated phone apps than what this would take.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Wasn't FFX released back when things like "fully voiced characters" was still a bit of a novelty? I imagine that the actual talking animations were directly animated without the sort of lip synching tech you see in most modern games.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Pneub posted:

There has to be a way to automate the lip-syncing to some degree to the voice actors. They would still have to match sentence length, and I don't have any idea how to program something like that, but I've seen way more complicated phone apps than what this would take.

There is now. Back in 2001, not so much.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pneub posted:

FFX was a PS2 game and a relatively early PS2 game. "lips moving" was a novelty for console games at that point.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
Most of the voice actors in FFX had no experience, or at least not in lip synching. It was still a pretty 'new' thing at the time. It was like, 2001 or something?

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
I bet they could've figured out some kind of tool back then if they put some work into it, it wasn't 1995.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Pneub posted:

I bet they could've figured out some kind of tool back then if they put some work into it, it wasn't 1995.

No not really.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

Pneub posted:

That would ultimately take time and effort for a port they didn't even have to give us. Any Japanese games we get, we're lucky to get at all.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN
e: ^^^Yeah, that's why they didn't, but they could've. ^^^

I'm not talking facial recognition or anything, just a way for the translators to move a mouth.

e: vvv I know, but they could've if they wanted to spend the money / time. vvv

Pneub fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Mar 14, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pneub posted:

You're underestimating the things available to them at that point. Character modeling was difficult and expensive at that point, especially for consoles. Even in this day and age a lot of overseas dubs don't bother with it, and if they do it is usually only for the English version.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
FFX was one of the first huge games that had voice-flap voice acting, and honestly the VA would've been pretty decent overall if Yuna's VA followed her co-workers and not care about the lips.

Yeah, the reason why Yuna's lines are so quick and awkward is because she thought she had to literally follow the lip movements instead of play around the timing.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

Tae posted:

FFX was one of the first huge games that had voice-flap voice acting, and honestly the VA would've been pretty decent overall if Yuna's VA followed her co-workers and not care about the lips.

Yeah, the reason why Yuna's lines are so quick and awkward is because she thought she had to literally follow the lip movements instead of play around the timing.

Fortunately she had laughter down to a science.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Fungah! posted:

Wakka's voice acting's always going to hold a special place in my heart just because of how hard John DiMaggio was phoning it in. I mean, god drat. Also because he was generally a fun goofball in a game that pretty desperately needed one.

John Bender Bending Marcus Jake the Dog Phoenix Rodriguez DiMaggio was doing that goofy rear end faux Carribean accent? :psyduck:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Tae posted:

She did a lot better in X-2.

Everything about Yuna was better in X-2 though.

Unlike a lot of posters in this thread I don't mind X's dub at all. It's just kinda mediocre, especially considering it came out around the same time as Metal Gear Solid 2 and only a year or so before Xenosaga. (which was most certainly not any better with the lip syncing for certain characters)

mid83
Oct 15, 2012
So what's the consensus on the PS3 vs Vita versions of X/X-2 HD? I'm going back and forth on which to get. I'd love the portability of the Vita version but not if it's a really gimped version of the game compared to the PS3.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Mak0rz posted:

John Bender Bending Marcus Jake the Dog Phoenix Rodriguez DiMaggio was doing that goofy rear end faux Carribean accent? :psyduck:

He was also Kimahri.

Make of that what you will.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

VegasShirtGuy posted:

I'm so sick of Cait Sith types and their dumb Blaster move.

Confuse them and enjoy watching them kill themselves. :getin:

Also, official site and trailer for Patch 2.2 of Final Fantasy XIV is up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zueQqbWhZeo

That ending. :allears:

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Mega64 posted:

I got to like 7:40 and wondered what you were talking about. Then it happened.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

morallyobjected posted:

I got to like 7:40 and wondered what you were talking about. Then it happened.

I couldn't possibly be any more stoked. :swoon:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Holy shiiiiiiiiiiiiit, you get to fight Gilgamesh! Haven't been able to do that since Final Fantasy XIII-2, or Final Fantasy XII before that! This completely validates my subscription to a formulaic skinner-box MMO! :hype:

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

ShadeofDante posted:

I forgot how good Auron's VA was in a game full of Tidus and Yuna's horrible voice direction.

Edit: I actually really think Tidus' voice actor is a great fit for his character. Yuna was my only really big complaint other than the HA HA HA scene.

I always thought Auron ended up great because his collar masked his lips. The voice actor didn't have to match the lip movements. Come to think of it, Tidus's best voice acting is his narration which didn't have to deal with lip-sync.

Mak0rz posted:

IIRC, the original Japanese voice for Wakka had an Okinawan accent which the localization tried to evoke with a Caribbean accent. There is a lot Okinawan influence in the game, such as Tidus/Yuna's Japanese names and the whole of Besaid.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Holy shiiiiiiiiiiiiit, you get to fight Gilgamesh! Haven't been able to do that since Final Fantasy XIII-2, or Final Fantasy XII before that! This completely validates my subscription to a formulaic skinner-box MMO! :hype:

Tell us more about how FF14 killed your dog.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Ah yes, skinner box gameplay. Those fools. *is posting in a loving rpg thread*

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Mega64 posted:

The Whorleater is a great name and this game still looks super good. I wish I had about a month of time to gently caress off and do nothing, but play game as I still can't justify subscribing with how little time I have to just sit down and crunch through an MMO.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Kyrosiris posted:

Tell us more about how FF14 killed your dog.

Yeah I think it's pretty clear F14 didn't 'kill my dog', but it is a mediocre wow-clone and people jizzing themselves because a dude who's turned up in the last two mainline titles is turning up in this too is pretty sad, it'll be like five minutes of funny voice acting in a game that is mostly hundreds of hours of killing (cute, whimsically designed) bears for their asses.

Mr. Maltose posted:

Ah yes, skinner box gameplay. Those fools. *is posting in a loving rpg thread*

You could probably complete Final Fantasies I through to X in the time it takes to bring a single character up to raiding spec, not all things are born equally grindy! Final Fantasy XII IZJS even acknowledged how boring its repetitive MMO combat was by giving us a speed-up button!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Maybe they just have fun playing it? Shocker, I know

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Yeah I think it's pretty clear F14 didn't 'kill my dog', but it is a mediocre wow-clone and people jizzing themselves because a dude who's turned up in the last two mainline titles is turning up in this too is pretty sad, it'll be like five minutes of funny voice acting in a game that is mostly hundreds of hours of killing (cute, whimsically designed) bears for their asses.

You could probably complete Final Fantasies I through to X in the time it takes to bring a single character up to raiding spec, not all things are born equally grindy! Final Fantasy XII IZJS even acknowledged how boring its repetitive MMO combat was by giving us a speed-up button!
Took me about 35 hours to get from being a lowbie to having killed the final endgame content in FFXIV as a Black Mage. I don't think I can complete any Final Fantasy in that time :shobon:

fake edit: this was on an alt character, I already knew the entire game through and through and just raced for the finish line to be able to sub in for a raid group one weekend.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

A Steampunk Gent posted:

I don't play FFXIV so I could be wrong but people have said multiple times in this thread that they've gotten a character through the entirety of the game in one subscription period. Like people have actually recommended the game as a "buy it and treat it like an actual Final Fantasy and not an MMO because you can finish it in a month" game. They could be wrong or playing for 8 hours a day every day but one of the positive things that keeps cropping up is that the game's relatively quick for an MMO.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Mar 14, 2014

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Endorph posted:

Maybe they just have fun playing it? Shocker, I know

Yeah, I was mainly getting at the hype for SE recycling exactly the same fan-service they've used in the both of the last numbered titles, the whole 'hey guys, remember thing from a better, more memorable game? well, it's back ... again!' is pretty creatively bankrupt, I shouldn't even have mentioned skinner boxes in my original post.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

It's loving Gilgamesh.

I'd play FF3DS if Gilgamesh showed up. He is the best.

Edit: Well, I'd at least watch it on YouTube. :v:

Nihilarian fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Mar 14, 2014

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

I don't play FFXIV so I could be wrong but people have said multiple times in this thread that they've gotten a character through the entirety of the game in one subscription period. Like people have actually recommended the game as a "buy it and treat it like an actual Final Fantasy and not an MMO because you can finish it in a month" game. They could be wrong or playing for 8 hours a day every day but one of the positive things that keeps cropping up is that the game's relatively quick for an MMO.

That is correct, at least in my experiences. I hit level cap/completed the main story line in like... two and a half weeks? And that's with minimal playtime on weekdays due to work?

I also think it's pretty hilarious that he rags about "hundreds of hours of killing bears for their asses" when most of the questing is actually considerably different from that. v:shobon:v

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Yeah, I was mainly getting at the hype for SE recycling exactly the same fan-service they've used in the both of the last numbered titles, the whole 'hey guys, remember thing from a better, more memorable game? well, it's back ... again!' is pretty creatively bankrupt, I shouldn't even have mentioned skinner boxes in my original post.
This is all over FFXIV. There's quite a bunch of original things, but they are all the time hyping up with stuff from older Final Fantasies. Acheron's around, we got Behemoths, we got Ahrimen... the list goes on. Are you gonna lament the loss of your cat when I tell you there's MOOGLES in this game too? :confused:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The best Final Fantasy games of the past few years were entirely fanservice games. FFXIV being an MMO one does not bug me in the slightest, especially because it's also a very good game much like Dissidia and Theatrhythm.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Final Fantasy is literally a franchise built off constant unending fanservice at this point. I mean the most widely-praised FF game in this thread is FF9 which is basically the Best Of Hits Collection for FF1-8.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Kyrosiris posted:

That is correct, at least in my experiences. I hit level cap/completed the main story line in like... two and a half weeks? And that's with minimal playtime on weekdays due to work?

I also think it's pretty hilarious that he rags about "hundreds of hours of killing bears for their asses" when most of the questing is actually considerably different from that. v:shobon:v

So did they remove FATEs or what? Last time I checked the best way to level through 30s-40s was to literally do the same 5-6 quests in the Costa Del Sol area over and over and over again. But as pointed out, each to their own, I just think SE's samey fanservice is getting a bit weak and not worthy of constant adulation :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

A Steampunk Gent posted:

So did they remove FATEs or what? Last time I checked the best way to level through 30s-40s was to literally do the same 5-6 quests in the Costa Del Sol area over and over and over again. But as pointed out, each to their own, I just think SE's samey fanservice is getting a bit weak and not worthy of constant adulation :shrug:

They didn't remove them, they just made other avenues as attractive or moreso for levelling. Dungeons are a real source of Experience now. If you are levelling a third, fourth or more class then yeah, FATEs are still a way to grind but not everyone plays the game that way.