Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

JT Jag posted:

If the trend keeps up it might become justifiable to go with Absolute Cognatic inheritence.

We'd have to screw around a bit to make it happen, but I'm sure we could get it done if we really wanted to.

We already have been Absolute Cognatic all this time, since we're using the gender equality sub-mod of Project Balance.

The only reason Traianos replaced Eirene as heir in the last update is that Eirene wasn't born in the purple, and her stats were awful so I didn't make her a despot (and said yes when she asked to become a nun)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

The Old Romans (OR)

The New Byzantines (NB)
--Steppes and Republics (SR)
--Loyalists (LY)
--Fraternalists (FR)

The Milvians (ML)

The Komnenians (KM)
--Hellenic Restoration (HR)

The Discordians (DC)
--Unitas (UN)
--Hellenic Restoration (HR)
--Guiding Light (GL)
--True Religion's Advocates In Time Of Rebellion & Strife (TR)

BILLS:
New Byzantine:
The Nova Mediterranean Act (conquer Black Sea coast) (5)
Backunknown (NB/SR)
--Lord Cyrahzax(DC/UN)
--GoatLord (ML)
--Jazerus (OR)
--Ubern00b (OR)
--EightDeer (OR)

Italian Re-Conquista Act (Reconquer Italy! But, um, in a non-Old Roman way)
NewMars (NB) (15)
--Lord Cyrahzax (DC/UN)
--Charlie Mopps (OR)
--Horsebanger (OR)
--AJ_Impy (ML)
--YF-23 (ML)
--Skyfinder (OR)
--EightDeer (OR)
--DivineCoffeeBinge (OR)
--Gnooble (OR)
--Amnistar (OR)
--Sindai (ML)
--Flesnolk (OR)
--Alexey (OR)
--occipitallobe (ML)
--Jazerus (OR)

MArriage Ties To Expand Relations Act (MATTER Act) (Marry all those excess children off to neighbors for alliances, now that we have a monarch who didn't die after like one child for once) (0)
sheep-dodger (NB)

Imperial Communal Expansion Act (ICE Act) (Extraneous funds in times of peace shall be used to build new cities in the Imperial heartland) (4)
TheMcD (NB)
--Gnooble (OR)
--Flesnolk (OR)
--GoatLord (ML)
--ThatBasqueGuy (KM/HR)

Croatian Removal Act (Conquer Croatia until our borders are pretty again)
Aeromancia (NB) (2)
--GoatLord (ML)
--Ubern00b (OR)

The Pilgrimage Protection Act (Protect Pilgrims by starting a bloody, chaotic war in the Holy Land to annex it) (5)
Luhood
--AJ_Impy (ML)
--ThatBasqueGuy (KM/HR)
--Unwise_Cashew (ML)
--AdventFalls (ML)
--Jazerus (OR)
--Adept Nightengale (ML)
--Ubern00b (OR)

Phanariotes:
The Mongolian Enlightenment Act (Convert Mongols) (13)
j00rBuDdY
--Pyroi
--Sleep of Bronze
--sheep-dodger
--AJ_Impy
--Yvonmukluk
--TheMcD
--Lynneth
--Luhood
--YF-23
--Alexey
--ThatBasqueGuy
--Unwise_Cashew
--Ratoslov

University Construction Act (Build a university) (13)
occipitallobe
--Meinberg
--Ghetto Prince
--Duckbag
--Lynneth
--Luhood
--Hostergaard
--D3m3
--GoatLord
--reignonyourparade
--TheFlyingLlama
--Ratoslov
--lenoon
--Tevery Best

gently caress Genoa Act (Trade war on Genoa) (4)
Rejected Fate
--Samuel
--EightDeer
--Gnooble
--Flesnolk

The Tri-Lingual Literacy Act (Byzantine Greek, Western Latin and Eastern Arabic should all three be accepted as Languages of Science and sponsored equally by the Basilissa.) (4)
Luhood
--reignonyourparade
--TheFlyingLlama
--Ratoslov
--lenoon

Imperial Wisdom Act (Church education for all Born in the Purple children) (0)
YF-23

Mongolian Enlightenment and University Construction are tied!

: By imperial fiat, I have elected to cast the tie-breaking vote for the University Construction Act. I feel it is more in keeping with the principles of the Phanariote coalition. I am also reluctant to send our court chaplain to the bleak steppes of the east when there are provinces in our very empire which still do not adhere to the Orthodox Faith— and other acts of the Senate call for the acquisition of still more Sunni, Tengri, or Catholic territory.

:siren: LAWS OF THE EMPIRE :siren:

Italian Re-Conquista Act (Reconquer Italy! But, um, in a non-Old Roman way)
NewMars (NB) (15)
The Pilgrimage Protection Act (Protect Pilgrims by starting a bloody, chaotic war in the Holy Land to annex it) (5)
The Nova Mediterranean Act (conquer Black Sea coast) (5)
University Construction Act (Build a university) (13)
Anatolia-so Act (Reconquer the Anatolian interior)
Use Caution, Empress Act (Try to avoid wars the empire can't win)

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

I had my reservations about this Senate, but I must applaud! Georgia, Jerusalem, and Italy to be liberated! Bravo.

I must request that Greek governors be installed, to allow for re-assimilation. Magna Graecia must be reborn, Georgia must be cleansed of the Hashimid taint, and Jerusalem has centuries of Muslim and Catholic filth to scrape away. A better world is dawning!

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

I had my reservations about this Senate, but I must applaud! Georgia, Jerusalem, and Italy to be liberated! Bravo.

Hooray. A limitless supply of orphans, widows, and drunken war-veterans. :toot:

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the basilica, praying for the souls of this wayward Empire. Or getting despondently drunk. You know, whichever.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

My fellow Senators, I am happy to see that you have, as a body, concurred entirely with my priorities for this legislative session. Empress, we are left in your capable hands for the execution of these most excellent bills of law.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat

Truly today is a good day! We shall take what is rightfully ours from the Heathens and despoilers that now squat on it. For Zeus Jesus!

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Ratoslov posted:

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the basilica, praying for the souls of this wayward Empire. Or getting despondently drunk. You know, whichever.

Senator, be jubilant! What life is worth living outside of the Empire of Constantinople? Only we can provide and enforce the True Faith! Only we can uplift all people with Roman culture! Those widows and orphans will be grateful, I promise.

Unwise_Cashew
Jan 19, 2014

While it is unfortunate that we may not spread the Light of Christ out into the wilds of Mongolia, at least we will see a resurgence in learning and knowledge. I welcome our Fraternalist brothers, and would just like to offer my support for Lebanon as the theoretical maritime gateway to the Levant.

Ratoslov posted:

While I view our focus on Italy as foolishness while the Levant still suffers under Mohammedan cruelty, I would argue that you approach our future from too dark of a standpoint. Yes, there will be a cost to our work in the Holy Land, but the end result is realm far more capable of not just keeping, but promoting peace. So I too will join you in the basilica for prayer, but not in sadness at the temporal pain we will suffer for our goals. No, I'll be praying we may all be worthy of the coming glories our "orphans, widows, and drunken war-veterans" will have earned for enduring these mortal agonies, as the Eternal reward for their suffering and work will be far grander than anything we deserve sitting in our Senate halls.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Rincewind posted:

The New Byzantines (NB)
--Steppes and Republics (SR)
--Loyalists (LY)

The Milvians (ML)
--Fraternalists (FR)

Mongolian Enlightenment and University Construction are tied!

: By imperial fiat, I have elected to cast the tie-breaking vote for the University Construction Act. I feel it is more in keeping with the principles of the Phanariote coalition. I am also reluctant to send our court chaplain to the bleak steppes of the east when there are provinces in our very empire which still do not adhere to the Orthodox Faith— and other acts of the Senate call for the acquisition of still more Sunni, Tengri, or Catholic territory.

Great Empress, we do of course bow to your wisdom and obey your Imperial Fiat, as is right, good and faithful. However, The Fraternalists have joined themselves in caucus to the Milvian Party, given our representation of a check and balance on secular power such as the frequently disobedient Douxes. As one of the earliest to hold aloft the Phanariote banner, it remains my personal belief that reaching out to the Mongolians to spread to them the truth is core and key to our ethos and philosophy, but I do recognise your supremacy in deciding the matter for an equally lauded if somewhat inward-looking policy.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

If the New Byzantines keep pushing for glorious Old Roman programs, maybe it doesn't matter what they actually stand for! A glorious day, this!

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

While it is a good day when the Senate makes its proposals to the Empress, I am saddened by the ignorance of my fellow senators regarding the importance of the Marriage act, any war that we decide upon would be so much less costly if we had allies to sacrifice share our burdens. I am hopeful however, that our glorious Empress in her bountiful wisdom will take the matter under advisement, even if it was not a formal decision of the Senate.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

sheep-dodger posted:

While it is a good day when the Senate makes its proposals to the Empress, I am saddened by the ignorance of my fellow senators regarding the importance of the Marriage act, any war that we decide upon would be so much less costly if we had allies to sacrifice share our burdens. I am hopeful however, that our glorious Empress in her bountiful wisdom will take the matter under advisement, even if it was not a formal decision of the Senate.

Those children must be saved so that rebellious Doux's can be replaced by loyal Komnenians. I suggest instead that the act be dropped forever as a terrible idea and we instead look inwards to bolster our forces.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

## Sponsor the university construction act
## Sponsor the trilingual literacy act.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Talas posted:

## Sponsor the university construction act
## Sponsor the trilingual literacy act.

Few minutes too late my friend, we just finished voting. Speaking of which, where's the alcohol? Don't we celebrate with alcohol after we decide on the policies that will decide the direction of the empire for years to come?

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Pyroi posted:

Few minutes too late my friend, we just finished voting. Speaking of which, where's the alcohol? Don't we celebrate with alcohol after we decide on the policies that will decide the direction of the empire for years to come?

Some of us do.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
Is there a party representing the mercantile interests of the black sea republics yet cause I want in on that

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

The Saurus posted:

Is there a party representing the mercantile interests of the black sea republics yet cause I want in on that

You'll want either the Fraternalists or the Steppes and Republics parties.

DentedLamp
Aug 2, 2012

The Saurus posted:

The Fraternalists are arguably the most fitting candidate, but you might as well create your own.

Blackunknown
Oct 18, 2013

The Saurus posted:

The New Byzantines
Steppes and Republics

We of Steppes and Republics are mostly based around Black Sea mercantilism and Expansion in and around the Steppes. You are most welcome to join our party if it suits your interests.

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009

GoatLord posted:

Some of us do.

Also before and during the formulation of said policies.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

The Saurus posted:

The Fraternalists, currently allied to the Milvians, are heavily mercantilist, with anti-Doux leanings. The Steppes and Republics, currently allied to the New Byzantines, are less mercantilist but very much about the Black Sea republics, their area of interest stretching into the hinterlands.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

The Saurus posted:

Only Unitas represents all true Roman merchants. The republics of the Black Sea are abominations, enforcing petty and divisive cultural difference. This is a massive impediment to trade, as time and money are wasted translating their superfluous steppe-tongues, and in fixing the mistakes they inevitably make. And what honest Roman wants to buy anything from some son of a murdering pagan raider? Those stinking northerners are not Romans, but they can be. Unitas is the party of assimilation. Once the patricians are remade in our image, the people the govern will be too. The closer our bonds, the freer our purses, yes? That is the only sure way to economic prosperity!

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
No War but Trade War

embargo all the italians

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

The Saurus posted:

No War but Trade War

embargo all the italians

This senator is going places. Already proposing legislation.

Blackunknown
Oct 18, 2013

The Saurus posted:

No War but Trade War

embargo all the italians

The New Byzantines
Steppes and Republics

Your enthusiasm is welcome fellow senator, but we are not proposing or voting on legislation at this time. Also, joining, or creating, a party is required to have your vote count.

willing to settle
Apr 13, 2011
Why are we focusing on trash boot land Italy when we could be concentrating on the actual source of our forebear's wealth, that of Egypt, Africa and the Cyrene?

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

The Saurus posted:

No War but Trade War

embargo all the italians

FRITTER

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

willing to settle posted:

Why are we focusing on trash boot land Italy when we could be concentrating on the actual source of our forebear's wealth, that of Egypt, Africa and the Cyrene?

My fellow Senator, isn't is obvious? Much is needed before we conquer those places: Syria, Armenia, the Levant. We cannot do that right now. What holds us back is manpower, pure and simple. Italy will give us that manpower. You see, they won't fight. Normans will fight. Mercenaries will fight. But Italians? They will cower. They will submit. They will serve. And the choice will finally be taken from them. What else will they do in the heart of Muslim power? Italians owe us a debt. They have been squatting on the ruins of our glory for too long. They have supported the false Patriarch for too long! With conquest, they will go and die in the name of Rome, in all the places you mentioned and more. They will repay us.

And, who knows, hopefully many will die. That will make the process of assimilation so much easier. I look forward to owning estates in a restored Magna Graecia.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe

Blackunknown posted:

Your enthusiasm is welcome fellow senator, but we are not proposing or voting on legislation at this time. Also, joining, or creating, a party is required to have your vote count.

That wasn't a piece of legislation, just a succinct statement regarding my views on the issues facing the Empire in the modern world.

willing to settle posted:

Agreed, instead we should be burning down the trade posts of those wily smugglers the Venetians and using the proceeds to conquer new, untouched markets in the eastern Mediterranean. Maybe we can get the Empress to be solvent enough for a few years that she doesn't have to borrow huge sums of money from the Jews of Constantinople.

The Saurus fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Mar 15, 2014

Blackunknown
Oct 18, 2013

The Saurus posted:

That wasn't a piece of legislation, just a succinct statement regarding my views on the issues facing the Empire in the modern world.

The New Byzantines
Steppes and Republics

Ah my apologies fellow senator, I still advise joining a party for any future legislation.

The Saurus posted:

Agreed, instead we should be burning down the trade posts of those wily smugglers the Venetians and using the proceeds to conquer new, untouched markets in the eastern Mediterranean. Maybe we can get the Empress to be solvent enough for a few years that she doesn't have to borrow huge sums of money from the Jews of Constantinople.

I must advise you fellow senator for you are new here, but the Empire already owns Venice as a trading republic and as such burning down their trade posts would be counter-productive to our economy.

Blackunknown fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Mar 15, 2014

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe

Blackunknown posted:

I must advise you fellow senator for you are new here, but the Empire already owns Venice as a trading republic and as such burning down their trade posts would be counter-productive to our economy.

Looks like I missed an update somewhere! Well that's a shame, because all of the merchant republics should clearly be concentrated into one single massive force to make the maddest bank, we shouldn't allow the Douxes and their puppet empress to divide the merchant class against one another so we stay weak and do not threaten their hegemony.

How come some people are listed as members of more than one party? Is that because it's a subparty or something?

Guess I'll sign up with Steppes and Republics so we can get Venice revoked from those losers and given to proven captains of industry.

The Saurus fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Mar 15, 2014

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

The Saurus posted:

Looks like I missed an update somewhere! Well that's a shame, because all of the merchant republics should clearly be concentrated into one single massive force to make the maddest bank, we shouldn't allow the Douxes and their puppet empress to divide the merchant class against one another so we stay weak and do not threaten their hegemony.

How come some people are listed as members of more than one party? Is that because it's a subparty or something?

Yeah, the Phanariotes, New Marians, and Expansionists are cross-party groups promoting policies of common interest (scholarship, a larger army, and conquering things, respectively) (and in retrospect they make everything way more unwieldy but the Phanariotes icon is so nice-looking...).

There are a few other irregularities with the latest session's party rolls since it featured a bunch of minor parties with just a handful of members being rolled into subparties of the larger parties instead of freestanding parties with too few members to actually accomplish anything, but hopefully we're over that hump now.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

PART SIXTEEN: Trash Boot (1247-1251)

While we are blessed with a wealth of primary sources regarding the lives of the Komnenoi, such as Iouliana the Great's Moesia Scroll or the correspondence of the Empress Euphrosyne, there is a lack of comprehensive histories after the end of Iouliana Komnene's Alexiad, which can make shaping the disparate evidence that has come down to us into a coherent historical narrative difficult. Fortunately, though, the majority of the reign of Valeria the Apostle is covered in the works of the historian Anna Anatolike. A member of the Anatolikos family of Greek patricians installed in Venice by Valeria in 1238, she entered the empress's service as a lady-in-waiting as a young woman in 1247.

It's important to note her close association with the subject of her history, of course. Modern historians consider Anatolike's
History of the Empress Valeria to be somewhat less biased than Iouliana Komnene's Alexiad. But Anatolike's history should still be read in the context of both her personal connection to Valeria and her decidedly Old Roman politics.

Still, it is nonetheless a vivid account of the reign of one of the pivotal rulers of the Komnenian Renaissance by an eyewitness to many of its key events.

In 1248, the Empress Valeria visited Venice. It had been some time since I'd been in the city— I briefly resided there following the rise of the house of Anatolikos, but I was quickly whisked away to Constantinople. I could immediately tell the city was doing better, though. For all of the Senate's furious denouncements of the tyranny and incompetence of the Doges, the fact of the matter was that the war was devastating to Venetian commerce, and commerce was the lifeblood of the entire city.

Now, though, Venetian ships once again plied the waters of the Adriadtic, and Venetian flags (now rendered in tasteful Roman red and gold) fluttered over trading posts lining the coasts of Italy and Greece. Some of the older Italian locals still spoke wistfully of the days of the Most Serene Republic, but in general the city was thriving, recovered from the vicissitudes of war.

There were tears in Valeria's eyes as she stepped off her ship. She knelt down and touched the ground.

"The emperors of Rome have returned to Italian ground."

As we were strolling the banks of the canals with Sabas Kimmerikon, Katepano of the Republic of Venice, we heard a curious commotion. On the opposite bank (and therefore, thankfully, sufficiently removed from the person of the Empress so as to avoid provoking an unpleasant response from her Varangian bodyguards) there seemed to be an impromptu procession of locals chanting, "The king is dead! Long live the king!". They placed what appeared to be the emaciated body of a vagrant in a gondola and shoved it off; a viking funeral in miniature.

The empress asked Sabas if he knew what this was about.

Sabas nodded at the body. "A local eccentric," he explained, "a madman who called himself the King of Venice. The common folk were amused by this, and often humored his pretensions and accepted his 'royal writs' as currency. Even I'm a bit sorry to see the old coot finally go."

Upon our return to Constantinople, she confessed to me that as moving as it was to set foot on the Roman Empire's only Italian province, she was relieved to set foot once again on solidly Orthodox territory— the majority of Venetians, including the Morosini patricians who survived the fall of the Doge still remaining in communion with the Catholic Church. I told some joke about how even Venice was too close to the Pope.

"Yes," she said, with absolute seriousness. "We shall have to do something about that."

Shortly before Christmas, word reached the imperial court that a successful crusade had restored to life the Genoese puppet Republic of Jerusalem.

Quietly, Valeria rearranged her priorities.

Before she could set her plans in motion, however, she needed to ensure that the rest of the empire would be united behind her. She singled out the Doux of Epirus as the ringleader of a cabal of disgruntled nobles, and revoked his title.

The Seljuks decided to attempt to regain the throne they had only so recently lost the Baytasids.

The Baytasid sultan died shortly thereafter, ensuring that the Roman Empire's eastern frontier would remain safe for some time.

Valeria personally pored over the genealogies of her vassals, courtiers, and family and determined that her husband, Gebhard von Tyrol, had a claim on the entire Kingdom of Sicily.

He was hastily appointed komes of Attaleia— a small Anatolian province which had remained under direct imperial rule rather than ceded to the oversight of a doux— in order to ensure that his status as a legal vassal of the Roman Empire was beyond doubt,

And then she declared war on Tiborg the Bold in order to secure Gebhard's rightful place as the King of Sicily.

The armies of Rome began a long overland march from the Adriatic provinces to Italy. Raising a navy large enough to ferry the troops across the sea was deemed an unnecessary expense. "Sicily will still be there when our soldiers arrive," she told me.

When they finally arrived in the Sicilian domains, our soldiers met very little resistance. Tiborg and the Sicilian army, it seemed, were engaged in the conquest of Lombardy when the empire delivered its declaration of war, and they had yet to return to their homeland.

The court remained behind in Constantinople, with Valeria continuing to ensure doctrinal uniformity among the more powerful clergy of the empire. Direct participation in the campaigning was ruled out, following the untimely deaths in battle of so many prior emperors and empresses.

When a courier arrived to deliver news of the majority of the populace of Venice adopting the Orthodox faith, Valeria replied that this was as great a victory as any won by our armies in Sicily.

The Prince Traianos came of age around this time. He was unquestionably a bright, brilliantly talented and extraordinarily charismatic young man. But he lacked something of the sternness of Valeria, and the strength of her resolve. There was something soft about him, in a way that was difficult to articulate properly. His silver tongue and gift for diplomacy made him popular among the nobles, however, and he would do much to support the empire with those talents.

In the winter of 1251, Tiborg and her Sicilian army finally returned from Lombardy. While they had soundly defeated the Lombards, their numbers were much diminished by the time they returned to find their kingdom in flames.

The Sicilian queen made a valiant effort to break through a weak point in the Roman lines— the northern flank apparently having been left lightly defended, in spite of the expected return of the Sicilians from their Lombard sojourn-- but, of course, it was futile. The Komnenoi have always had a genius for finding wars they can't possibly lose.

The queen had no intention of standing around and waiting to be slaughtered by a superior Roman force, however, and quickly withdrew from Spoleto after defeating the Roman forces there before reinforcements could arrive.

A second, larger Sicilian army arrived from north— but both of Tiborg's hosts were caught in battle before they could unite into a single force.

It is a curious thing to follow a war happening across a sea. Even with the swiftest boats, events could have spun out of control long before the empress could do anything about it. I thought about how strange it was to go about our business in Constantinople, enjoying the luxuries of the empire, when for all we knew our armies might have been defeated. And certainly the Sicilians fought bravely, slaying the captain of the Varangians himself in battle.

Idle fancies, of course.

A calculating ruler like Valeria would never have gambled— even for a prize as rich as the thrones of Sicily and its Lombard conquests— if she suspected she might lose.

:siren: Assassination Scorecard: :siren:
Tsars Killed: 2
Sultans Killed: 5
Nosy Chancellors Killed: 2

Note: Once again, I've played ahead (it sure makes writing these things easier if I can foreshadow stuff :v: ) so expect the rest of what I played last night to come out in dribs and drabs over the next few days.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

It is beautiful. Valeria, may your name live on forever.

However, no man should be as highly ranked as the Basileus and not be Orthodox. The Empire just won him a kingdom, surely he will convert not only because it is right and necessary, but because he is grateful. This entire new nobility we have just absorbed need to go through a similar process. Bring their heirs to Constantinople, let them see the glory of the City. Let them be enraptured and assimilated. They will recreate Magna Graecia!

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Yes! From victory to success to triumph, truly the Komnenoi are the greatest of Dynasties!

Hang on though, do we know control Longbardia? Isn't that way in the middle of the Alemanni Holey "Empire"? I'm looking at the map and seeing an awful lot of "Not Purple". And aren't they, one of their, err, Electors or some such rot? Won't that make the other fellows somewhat irate? It would be a shame if they were to start squabbling amongst themselves, maybe over the death of their king, would it not? Especially if it meant that their petty lords would rebel, making our takeover all the more justified, would it not?

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Yes! From victory to success to triumph, truly the Komnenoi are the greatest of Dynasties!

Hang on though, do we know control Longbardia? Isn't that way in the middle of the Alemanni Holey "Empire"? I'm looking at the map and seeing an awful lot of "Not Purple". And aren't they, one of their, err, Electors or some such rot? Won't that make the other fellows somewhat irate? It would be a shame if they were to start squabbling amongst themselves, maybe over the death of their king, would it not? Especially if it meant that their petty lords would rebel, making our takeover all the more justified, would it not?

I foresee absolutely no problems with this plan.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

It is beautiful. Valeria, may your name live on forever.

However, no man should be as highly ranked as the Basileus and not be Orthodox. The Empire just won him a kingdom, surely he will convert not only because it is right and necessary, but because he is grateful. This entire new nobility we have just absorbed need to go through a similar process. Bring their heirs to Constantinople, let them see the glory of the City. Let them be enraptured and assimilated. They will recreate Magna Graecia!

I made Gebhard convert, I just forgot to do so before I took a picture of his claim.

Also, as a king level vassal he's not as highly ranked as the Empress, anyway, he just has the Basileus title because he's married to us.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Deceitful Penguin posted:

It would be a great shame. We would have to step in--we can't have a massive war destroying our "Roman" neighbors. And should our territory happen to expand during some sort of a hokey Roman civil war, well, that's just a side bonus.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

However, no man should be as highly ranked as the Basileus and not be Orthodox. The Empire just won him a kingdom, surely he will convert not only because it is right and necessary, but because he is grateful.

He has already done so, I hear, but mind your tongue around the Basileus - he is joined to your rightful Empress by blood, and is entitled to your respect.

Like my fellow Senators, I wish to congratulate you on your victory, Empress Valeria. It is a blessing to see the Empire growing strong, especially as we find ourselves on the doorstep of Rome itself! In time, hopefully we can return the City on Seven Hills to the glories of old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all

Flesnolk posted:

Like my fellow Senators, I wish to congratulate you on your victory, Empress Valeria. It is a blessing to see the Empire growing strong, especially as we find ourselves on the doorstep of Rome itself! In time, hopefully we can return the City on Seven Hills to the glories of old.

Yes, let's all congratulate the Empress, she is now the proud owner of the most fractious, unruly and rebellious people in Europe. Not only that, this is the second time we have stabbed the Italians in the back while they were working to protect the Holy Lands. Where is the army that should have freed Anatolia? Where is the gold that should have built roads, ports and castles in Greece?

Alexios must be spinning in his tomb.

:dawkins101:

• Locked thread