Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

wayfinder posted:

Except it DOES work here in Germany, where it's actually coded in law to merge zipper style, as late as possible, and people do it just fine the overwhelming majority of the time.

I think one of the major problems in other places (in the US at least) is most driving habits are picked up by watching their parents. Actually learning from an instructor is optional, and even then the classes are minimal and mostly telling you stupid poo poo like what a Stop sign means.

So parents have bad habits (or drive angry, etc), they get passed on to their offspring which then at some point pass it on to the next generation. So you have a whole chain of lovely driving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

subx posted:

even then the classes are minimal and mostly telling you stupid poo poo like what a Stop sign means.

My Driver's Ed school had A LOT of old lovely movies from the late 70's. Mainly consisting of black and white video footage from the 40's and 50's of people wrapping their cars around solid objects and mangled bodies with the accompanying theme of "Speeding Kills!" What sticks out most in my memories from Driver's Ed was this video about road rage and how these two people we share the road with literally pulled over to the side of the road to duke it out, only to find that one person we share the road with had a crossbow in his trunk and proceeded to shoot the other person we shared the road with. :wtc:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

GramCracker posted:

My Driver's Ed school had A LOT of old lovely movies from the late 70's. Mainly consisting of black and white video footage from the 40's and 50's of people wrapping their cars around solid objects and mangled bodies with the accompanying theme of "Speeding Kills!" What sticks out most in my memories from Driver's Ed was this video about road rage and how these two people we share the road with literally pulled over to the side of the road to duke it out, only to find that one person we share the road with had a crossbow in his trunk and proceeded to shoot the other person we shared the road with. :wtc:

While it's no Red Asphalt, the MST3K takeoff of Last Clear Chance is the best driving safety video in the history of mankind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Naix-f6KSIg

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

wayfinder posted:

Except it DOES work here in Germany, where it's actually coded in law to merge zipper style, as late as possible, and people do it just fine the overwhelming majority of the time.

It actually seemed to work pretty well in New Zealand as well. Granted my first time driving there, it took me a few minutes to figure out wtf they meant with these signs

Then I felt like an idiot for not getting it right away. I wish people would do that in the US, but its either people coming to a stop as soon as the merge area starts and waiting for a huge opening, or they floor it down the shoulder well past where the lane ended in order to get ahead of as many people as possible.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

GramCracker posted:

What sticks out most in my memories from Driver's Ed was this video about road rage and how these two people we share the road with literally pulled over to the side of the road to duke it out, only to find that one person we share the road with had a crossbow in his trunk and proceeded to shoot the other person we shared the road with. :wtc:

I remember that exact video (or a different video about the same incident). If I remember correctly, the guy with the crossbow was also a pastor?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

GramCracker posted:

Sounds like an average day in Russia.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

Penguissimo posted:

I remember that exact video (or a different video about the same incident). If I remember correctly, the guy with the crossbow was also a pastor?

I remember that video too. He was a church deacon. Here's a news article from around the time of the incident.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Seat Safety Switch posted:

(KMFDM's Xtort album begins to play through a scratchy Cold War-era loudspeaker. The whine builds as the massive turbo spools, causing the rear view mirror to vibrate against the windshield, before breaking loose and falling to the floor.)

This post was amazing but if you're not playing Ride of the Valkyries as you do that, you should rethink your life choices.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

I had a fuckin rear end in a top hat this morning cut over on to the right shoulder, pass a few cars, then merge farther right into an on-ramp and then proceed to pass the zipper section and drive another quarter mile on the shoulder only to merge back in to 5mph traffic. He didn't really get anywhere, never left my field of view. I was wishing so badly for a cop to surprise him out of nowhere.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

KozmoNaut posted:

Yeah, they're the standard type in Europe, they go green->yellow->red and red->red+yellow->green.

Makes it very easy to see if you should brake for a light that's turning red, or just release the gas a bit for a light that's turning green.

I no poo poo had a girl in my driver's ed class who simply couldn't comprehend this scheme.

0rganDonor
Jan 19, 2007
Knock it off with the zipper merge poo poo. I've tried it, it doesn't work. By time I've made it to the lane closure 100 cars have cut me off, 50 have blocked me from changing lanes, and ten or so have brake checked me causing a gap to form so another 100 can cut me off. Every. Single. Time.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

It's always worked perfectly well for me. I just start matching my speed to the other lane and slide right in shortly before the merge point.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

KozmoNaut posted:

It's always worked perfectly well for me. I just start matching my speed to the other lane and slide right in shortly before the merge point.

Yeah but don't you live in a magical European fairy-tale land where people actually have to know something about driving before being given a license?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

0rganDonor posted:

Knock it off with the zipper merge poo poo. I've tried it, it doesn't work. By time I've made it to the lane closure 100 cars have cut me off, 50 have blocked me from changing lanes, and ten or so have brake checked me causing a gap to form so another 100 can cut me off. Every. Single. Time.

I got road raged HARD one time on i95 heading towards NYC for letting a bigrig into the zipper so he could stop loving up traffic (by no fault of his own.)

Pretty funny, really. Think I have posted the story already.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Terrible Robot posted:

Yeah but don't you live in a magical European fairy-tale land where people actually have to know something about driving before being given a license?

You wouldn't know it from watching people drive, I can assure you of that.

If driving in Denmark had a band name, it would be "Me First and The Gimme Gimmes".

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Mar 14, 2014

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
It's not quite as bad as in certain places but it for sure isn't always pretty.

BabyMauler
Sep 19, 2005
At a stop light waiting for a green turn arrow, blacked out Escalade in front of me. It is my last stop of the night, light turns green Caddy just sits there. They must be texting, light turns yellow I toot my horn and they slow roll through and I follow just as the light turns red. Next thing I know as were going down the street and I can see the last office of the night the Caddy jams on the brakes in the middle of the road. Three of the four doors start to open, I know nothing good will come of this. Mirror check and nobody is behind me. I threw the van into reverse and pretty much did a Jturn in a school zone. Called the police with the plates, and they pretty much told me to gently caress off. The people you share the road with.

Trocadero
Aug 23, 2012
Zip merges are fine when everyone knows how to behave, which is almost never. Here (Poland) people usually try to merge too early, whenever they find a tiny gap between cars on the right lane. Some try to do it properly by driving right up to the proper merge zone and then stupid assholes block them, because they waited oh so long in the traffic jam that one more car will literally cause them a stroke.
Or some 'I am the law' truck driver decides that noone should be getting ahead and drives 10kph in the left lane for 2km before pushing in 500m before the merge.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

LloydDobler posted:

I had a fuckin rear end in a top hat this morning cut over on to the right shoulder, pass a few cars, then merge farther right into an on-ramp and then proceed to pass the zipper section and drive another quarter mile on the shoulder only to merge back in to 5mph traffic. He didn't really get anywhere, never left my field of view. I was wishing so badly for a cop to surprise him out of nowhere.

This happens all the time around construction in Houston (and probably everywhere). In my old wagon, that I was hoping someone would run into so I could get rid of it, I'd move into the shoulder just enough so the nice lady in her Range Rover couldn't get by without scratching her paint. This made them very upset, but hopefully it prevented an accident at the next ramp where people probably weren't expecting cars to come barreling down the shoulder at them.

I don't stress about all the bikes doing it, although it's still pretty unsafe.

Actually, I've got an interesting anecdote from the mid-90's on this topic. Whenever a big hurricane heads towards Houston, TXDOT will open up the shoulders on outbound highways and sometimes shut down the inbound lanes so people can use them to get out of town as well. After a bad flood, they just left the right shoulder as a travel lane and put up a bunch of signs indicating that it was. Five years later they widened the highway and it wasn't an issue, but until then we had a weird section of highway with no shoulder.

So it was raining one night and I saw my friend's old Blazer crashed into another car on under an overpass in the former shoulder lane. Turns out, this family stopped under the overpass to avoid the rain and check some stuff since they were on a road trip and hadn't seen the signs. My friend destroyed their car, and his, but somehow noone was hurt too bad. They had their lights off and it was pretty dark with significant rain, so there wasn't a whole lot he could've done.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Yesterday evening *I* was that guy you all share the road with. Stuck in a column of cars waiting to get off the M6 at the next junction, checked my mirrors and when I looked back traffic was stopping in a hurry. Felt the ABS starting to kick in as I hit the brakes while consciously going "oh-poo poo oh-poo poo" when some unconcscious part of my mind had me spit the car out onto the hard shoulder. I ended up stopping a few metres short of the car in front and very sheepishly had to be let back into traffic. :doh:

IronCastKnight
Jul 27, 2013
Dear person in a BMW: I know my getting in front of you would damage your pride in ways that would never heal, but do you think that, when I'm attempting to merge due to my lane being blocked off, maybe you could either speed up or slow down? Your insistence on pacing me instead of either letting me get in front or behind you whilst I hurtle straight towards a bunch of road cones and barrels is not appreciated.

It's not like you couldn't win our little drag race, because I'm in a Honda Insight; A fat man on a bicycle could outpace me without too much butter-loss.

Also dear Tulsa: Please stop blocking off lanes for months at a time without actually doing anything to them. I know you love your roadwork, but for gently caress's sake at least actually do some roadwork while you're making GBS threads up my commute. Also fill in some of these potholes, I'm starting to get Arizona-road flashbacks.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Last night I'm driving home -

I'm on Goodkirk at the stop sign (you can see the white "stop here" line in roughly the middle there) and there is no traffic exiting OH-8, which has right-of-way here. So I proceed to the next intersection at a leisurely pace (~20 MPH) because the traffic signal is red. About two thirds of the way to the intersection I hear tires squealing and look in my mirror to see a Jeep Wrangler flying up behind me off the highway in an all four wheels locked/brakes smoking crash stop, and almost rear-ends me. The rear end in a top hat pulls up along side me at the light, rolls his window down and starts yelling about how I ran the stop sign and it was my fault he almost hit me, etc. etc. Nevermind that when I left the stop sign he wasn't on the offramp and wasn't there to see me at a full stop.

I'm not sure who decided having a short offramp into a controlled intersection like that was a good idea but it wouldn't surprise me to find that there's a high incidence of people getting rear-ended by idiot drivers who don't slow down until the last possible second.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Geoj posted:

Last night I'm driving home -

I'm on Goodkirk at the stop sign (you can see the white "stop here" line in roughly the middle there) and there is no traffic exiting OH-8, which has right-of-way here. So I proceed to the next intersection at a leisurely pace (~20 MPH) because the traffic signal is red. About two thirds of the way to the intersection I hear tires squealing and look in my mirror to see a Jeep Wrangler flying up behind me off the highway in an all four wheels locked/brakes smoking crash stop, and almost rear-ends me. The rear end in a top hat pulls up along side me at the light, rolls his window down and starts yelling about how I ran the stop sign and it was my fault he almost hit me, etc. etc. Nevermind that when I left the stop sign he wasn't on the offramp and wasn't there to see me at a full stop.

I'm not sure who decided having a short offramp into a controlled intersection like that was a good idea but it wouldn't surprise me to find that there's a high incidence of people getting rear-ended by idiot drivers who don't slow down until the last possible second.

I don't get it, it looks like you both have your own lanes so why would he even have to stop? Even if you pulled out from the stop sign and immediately got into his lane, couldn't he just go around into your lane?

Also, I usually have a nice uneventful 14 minute commute to work through mainly stop lights, but for some reason both of the last two days someone has been in the left turn lane then wide turned. Today it was some young girl who started coming into my lane then realized at the last second hey I don't need a full 3 lanes to turn and there happens to be a car right next to me. But yesterday the dude turned right into my lane and it was the first time I've used my horn in the almost 2 years I've had this car. I know the leftmost turn is supposed to turn into the left lane, but if you've got 2 lanes turning into 3 and I'm in the right lane, I'll go ahead and turn into the rightmost one just to be safe, but that's as far as I go. I'm not jumping up onto the sidewalk so you can take 3 lanes to turn so get your poo poo together.

0rganDonor
Jan 19, 2007

kastein posted:

I got road raged HARD one time on i95 heading towards NYC for letting a bigrig into the zipper so he could stop loving up traffic (by no fault of his own.)

Pretty funny, really. Think I have posted the story already.

If people let me in and don't want to play the which lane is faster game, I become their traffic buddy as I maintain a constant speed through traffic unless forced to stop. If people don't want to let me in I start swinging the trailer at my intended lane until I spook someone into letting me in.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

davebo posted:

I don't get it, it looks like you both have your own lanes so why would he even have to stop? Even if you pulled out from the stop sign and immediately got into his lane, couldn't he just go around into your lane?

He was in the process of cutting across all three lanes coming off the highway (he ended up in the far right lane.) So in addition to probably exceeding the speed limit by a factor of two he also executed an improper lane change.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Wrangler drivers have tiny dicks

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Astonishing Wang posted:

Can I see the data you took to back this up? I'm curious about your methods.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

I'm sure they're astonishing.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

xzzy posted:

Can I see the data you took to back this up? I'm curious about your methods.

Going off personal experience probably. :newlol:

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I think it's part of the consumer reports survey.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Astonishing Wang posted:

Was this study done with the same methodology as the "gun owner == tiny dick" result?

Also, username/post combo

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Pham Nuwen posted:

Was this study done with the same methodology as the "gun owner == tiny dick" result?

Also, username/post combo

Checking his post history, username/post/vehicle ownership combo. I think that's the joke :haw:

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

jamal posted:

I think it's part of the consumer reports survey.

:golfclap: Holy crap, haven't laughed that hard in a while.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

MrYenko posted:

In a perfect world, every time three lanes has to merge down to two, or two to one, there would be three warning signs. At the first one would be a giant flailing arm inflatable tube man, to draw attention. At the second one would be a thirty foot tall grim reaper, holding the "Right Lane Closes, Merge left" sign in his bony hands, out over the lanes.

At the final, scrolling-lamp erectable traffic sign would be a tractor trailer fitted with a GAU-8 Avenger from an A-10 Warthog and a single man manning said gun. Any car that he witnesses diving right, because the line is shorter, gets peppered with a burst of 30 mm HEI rounds.

RPGs are wasteful. Besides, the sight of a huge gently caress-off gun alone should serve as an effective deterrent and a powerful diarrhoeic for wrongdoers.

EDIT: Read about zipper theory. Let's use the GAU on left lane loafers and road-raging shitbirds, instead.

90s Solo Cup fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Mar 15, 2014

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

thought of this thread

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/0...speeding-truck/

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

:golfclap:

That, right there, is exactly why I have a dash cam. I've had an astonishing number of near-misses that were nearly identical situations. And given the area I do most of my driving in, it would be someone in a brand new BMW, and they'd probably claim I ran a light, or swerved to hit them.

To contribute, tonight (well, last night, now), saw a guy on a crotch rocket weaving through traffic. Cut off a 3/4 ton truck bad enough that the truck slammed on their brakes and missed him by about a foot. Cut off plenty of others bad enough to cause the same. Apparently this wasn't enough, once he'd been at a red light for about 15 seconds he cut between the cars (lane splitting isn't legal here) and ran the light.

I was kind of expecting to find his remains further down the road.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Yesterday morning at an intersection, someone took a left turn except instead of staying in his lane, he moved into the separated cycling lane, probably to get onto the parallel access road slightly faster. This despite a whole bunch of cyclists standing there waiting for their light, as well as the car behind him audibly disagreeing :wtc:

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

jammyozzy posted:

Yesterday evening *I* was that guy you all share the road with. Stuck in a column of cars waiting to get off the M6 at the next junction, checked my mirrors and when I looked back traffic was stopping in a hurry. Felt the ABS starting to kick in as I hit the brakes while consciously going "oh-poo poo oh-poo poo" when some unconcscious part of my mind had me spit the car out onto the hard shoulder. I ended up stopping a few metres short of the car in front and very sheepishly had to be let back into traffic. :doh:

Don't feel bad about this. You were concerned about your stopping distance, and used the shoulder out of concern for hitting the person in front of you, and it turned out not to be necessary. You did the right thing in that situation. I've certainly had a situation or two where I had to stand on the brakes because I was looking for a gap in traffic and the person in front stopped suddenly, and I've used the turning lane to avoid someone before (winter, black ice around where I started trying to stop, luckily had enough grip to get over).

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

:stonk: Yup. Pulling the trigger on a G1WH cam later today. Sold after watching that video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
It's five car lengths, not five prick-lengths damnit :argh: