Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

DarkCrawler posted:

So how come we Europeans were such filthy disease-ridden hobos? Greater population? Better links to the rest of the world? Both?

Main reason was that Old Worlders had many different species of tamed animals that could infect humans with various diseases, and trade routes that spread those diseases around. And on top of that European cities were just hobo camps compared to Arabic, Chinese or Ancient Mediterranean cities with running water and baths.

^ :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Panas posted:

The Mongol invasions are usually exaggerated in their total death count. He really didn't kill as many people as he and his descendants are claimed to have killed. They co-opted much of their opposition, and they weren't as quick to wipe a city off the map as is usually portrayed. Surprise surprise, dead people don't pay tribute. Sure he killed a lot of people, but it's not a good comparison to the devastation that the Native populations of the new world experienced.

We don't have very reliable means to compare the two.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Hogge Wild posted:

Literal saints were even filthier than your average Spaniard, so it would have been even worse.

I meant in terms of them not intending to loot the hell out of the places they landed at! :v:

Hogge Wild posted:

And on top of that European cities were just hobo camps compared to Arabic, Chinese or Ancient Mediterranean cities with running water and baths.

Or Mexican cities, for that matter. Tenochtitlan had trash collectors and street cleaners!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Kurtofan posted:

I've read that the Spaniards were really filthy and that they smelled awful to the Aztecs.
politically-loaded maps: I've read that the Spaniards were really filthy

content:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
It's worth mentioning, however, that all the above civilizations were agricultural-based civilizations, and that typically dry periods are associated with global cooling, which tends to lock up more water in the form of ice and snow, and decreases the intensity of the global precipitation cycle. The current unprecedented period is associated with both the existence of an industrialized global civilization and global warming. So there's no telling what will happen to our civilization as the century progresses.

It certainly won't be very pleasant.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Guavanaut posted:

politically-loaded maps: I've read that the Spaniards were really filthy

I mean during the conquest of Mexico.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

DrSunshine posted:

It's worth mentioning, however, that all the above civilizations were agricultural-based civilizations, and that typically dry periods are associated with global cooling, which tends to lock up more water in the form of ice and snow, and decreases the intensity of the global precipitation cycle. The current unprecedented period is associated with both the existence of an industrialized global civilization and global warming. So there's no telling what will happen to our civilization as the century progresses.
If global cooling leads to the collapse of civilizations, then surely global warming leads to a flourishing. Checkmate, anti-global warming advocates.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

DrSunshine posted:

It certainly won't be very pleasant.
Lets be fair here: For the majority of the population it already is very unpleasant.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

A Buttery Pastry posted:

If global cooling leads to the collapse of civilizations, then surely global warming leads to a flourishing

It does -- for pre-industrial agricultural civilizations! The Medieval Warm period saw a huge population increase in Europe as more areas that were, in cooler times, less amenable to agriculture, became wetter and warmer and increased the available arable land.

Boiled Water posted:

Lets be fair here: For the majority of the population it already is very unpleasant.

Yeah, now is not a very good time to be investing in beachfront property in Kiribati, or to start a rice paddy in Bangladesh, or a farm in Sub-Saharan Africa. :smith:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Kassad posted:

I meant in terms of them not intending to loot the hell out of the places they landed at! :v:

I think he's referring to the beliefs of some evangelical Christians of the time that never washing made you more holy, hence a saint would never bath compared to the conquistador's occasional bath.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Kassad posted:

Smallpox alone was deadlier than the plague, and it wasn't the only disease brought in by Europeans and their livestock.

You do know 125-150 million people died in the Black Death, right?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Riso posted:

Yes, but in relative terms, more people in the America died. The pre-Columbian population of the Americas was somewhere between 50-100 million, and the smallpox and other European-brought pandemics killed upwards of about 90% of the population. In comparison, the Black Death killed about 30-60% of the European population.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Also 50% of China and 30% of the Middle East, with some areas having comparable death rates of 90%.

Let's not pretend this was just a European problem.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Kassad posted:

Or Mexican cities, for that matter. Tenochtitlan had trash collectors and street cleaners!

All of these non-European civilizations sound like nancy boys to me. No wonder the Europeans won.

In all seriousness, good personal hygiene by itself probably didn't help much against massive epidemics, as evidenced by the fact that the Middle East was almost just as badly affected by the plague as Europe.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Phlegmish posted:

All of these non-European civilizations sound like nancy boys to me. No wonder the Europeans won.

In all seriousness, good personal hygiene by itself probably didn't help much against massive epidemics, as evidenced by the fact that the Middle East was almost just as badly affected by the plague as Europe.

This post got me wondering: do any major religions have advice on how to deal with plagues? The Abrahamic religions are choosy with things like diet and hygiene for health purposes, even if it wasn't understood as such when the laws were written. But are there, say, quarantine measures or the like mentioned in holy books? Seems like it'd be some handy thing to have around.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Count Roland posted:

This post got me wondering: do any major religions have advice on how to deal with plagues? The Abrahamic religions are choosy with things like diet and hygiene for health purposes, even if it wasn't understood as such when the laws were written. But are there, say, quarantine measures or the like mentioned in holy books? Seems like it'd be some handy thing to have around.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_hygienical_jurisprudence

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Is there something on that page about plagues that I'm not seeing?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

I don't know about the religion itself, but medieval Islamic scholars definitely did write about plague prevention.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Count Roland posted:

Is there something on that page about plagues that I'm not seeing?

:downs:
My bad.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Where did you go? From what I've read, it's much more concentrated in the larger cities, while basically not a thing in touristy places like Crete. Though I think the fact that they're so popular with the police should be a consideration too, that sort of thing can act as a significant multiplier to what such a group is willing to attempt.

Patras and Thessaloniki, hardly small cities. I stayed at a Greek friend's place in Patras for a few days and hung out with him in the city too, so it's not just a case of "Western European tourist lounging at the hotel and beach all day".

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Pakled posted:

The Old World was full of agrarian societies where people lived in close proximity to live animals their whole lives.

This was just as true in the Americas.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Deltasquid posted:

Patras and Thessaloniki, hardly small cities. I stayed at a Greek friend's place in Patras for a few days and hung out with him in the city too, so it's not just a case of "Western European tourist lounging at the hotel and beach all day".
Yeah, calling the second largest city in Greece small probably doesn't make much sense. :v: Guess it's much more localized then.

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

How do you interpret "close proximity"? Because often Europeans literally lived in the same room (with a divider) as their cows and pigs, since they provided warmth.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
It's not even the close proximity, it's there being animals at all. Nearly all the fauna that might have been worth domesticating had been hunted to extinction in the Americas thousands of years before civilization developed.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Riso posted:

Seriously dude, go read 1491.

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

No it wasn't. Pre-columbian Americans had very little in the realm of livestock (Llama's being the one sort-of exception), and they weren't cohabiting with said animals.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Koramei posted:

It's not even the close proximity, it's there being animals at all. Nearly all the fauna that might have been worth domesticating had been hunted to extinction in the Americas thousands of years before civilization developed.
I think the close proximity is pretty important, creating a constant opening for disease to jump species. That nearly all the viable candidates had been hunted to extinction just ensured that this would be an impossibility in the Americas.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

DrSunshine posted:

It does -- for pre-industrial agricultural civilizations! The Medieval Warm period saw a huge population increase in Europe as more areas that were, in cooler times, less amenable to agriculture, became wetter and warmer and increased the available arable land.
It was great for cool wet Northern Europe. A bit of warming to extend the growing season is just what they needed. It wasn't such a good thing for Mediterranian climates or the already very dry Middle East.

It's not even as simple as warm = good for agricultural civilizations, there's a bunch of factors that make it good or bad in each individual case.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Riso posted:

"Engineered"
Tribes moved into an area, burned down the forest, hunted down all animals, and then moved on to the next spot where they burned down the forest and hunted all the animals.

They simply lived in a vast and great country.

This is not how slash and burn agriculture was practiced in the America's, nor anywhere traditionally.

This is the map thread right? Here are some maps I pulled from here http://www.geocurrents.info/place/southeast-asia/dams-and-the-ignored-ethnic-conflict-of-northern-burma which stole them from here http://www.irrawaddy.org/

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Squalid posted:

This is the map thread right? Here are some maps I pulled from here http://www.geocurrents.info/place/southeast-asia/dams-and-the-ignored-ethnic-conflict-of-northern-burma which stole them from here http://www.irrawaddy.org/

I just realized that one of the writers on that site wrote some of my geography textbooks. :3:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Getting back to more maps:

(via Wikipedia)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Administrative_divisions_of_the_People%27s_Republic_of_China

There are currently more counties (and equivalents) in the US than in China.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

:shobon:

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
I've spent hours studying those maps in the past, they're awesome. I love the attention to detail. :spergin::respek::spergin:

Content:

Kamrat fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Mar 16, 2014

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Welp, this finally proves that space in Star Trek is 2-dimensional.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

How come the Federation has these territories on the other side of the Klingons/Romulans? Why would the Romulans tolerate the Federation nearly completely encircling them? Several of the more isolated systems would have fallen to "freak accidents" a long time ago, no way the Romulans would allow that. And why have they colonized all worlds "east/south" of their homeworld, but some of the closest systems to Romulus are part of the Federation?

The same for the Cardassion, only they expanded "south/west", leaving many systems close to Cardassia entirely unclaimed. As an aside, no wonder they occupied Bajor, it is closer to Cardassia than 90% of their colonies. And isn't the Cardassian Union supposed to border the Romulan Star Empire?

And just to repeat the pattern, Qo'nos is relative close to the borders of the Klingon Empire. Did nobody but the Federation bother to expand in all directions? And I wonder how exactly the Breen managed a surprise attack on Earth. Where is the Breen homeworld on this map? I cannot find it.

Doug Lombardi
Jan 18, 2005

Torrannor posted:

How come the Federation has these territories on the other side of the Klingons/Romulans? Why would the Romulans tolerate the Federation nearly completely encircling them? Several of the more isolated systems would have fallen to "freak accidents" a long time ago, no way the Romulans would allow that. And why have they colonized all worlds "east/south" of their homeworld, but some of the closest systems to Romulus are part of the Federation?

The same for the Cardassion, only they expanded "south/west", leaving many systems close to Cardassia entirely unclaimed. As an aside, no wonder they occupied Bajor, it is closer to Cardassia than 90% of their colonies. And isn't the Cardassian Union supposed to border the Romulan Star Empire?

And just to repeat the pattern, Qo'nos is relative close to the borders of the Klingon Empire. Did nobody but the Federation bother to expand in all directions? And I wonder how exactly the Breen managed a surprise attack on Earth. Where is the Breen homeworld on this map? I cannot find it.

Neither can Starfleet!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Torrannor posted:

I have no clue at all! And neither, it seems, did the Star Trek writers. The galactic maps from the canon sources are not very clear, consistent, or helpful. :(

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Torrannor posted:

And I wonder how exactly the Breen managed a surprise attack on Earth. Where is the Breen homeworld on this map? I cannot find it.

I see a cut-off "REEN" on the far left of the map, close to the Cardassian "northwest" boarder. It's probably that.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
Interesting that S. Ossetia is demarcated but not Transnistria and Abkhazia.

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Mar 16, 2014

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Torrannor posted:

And I wonder how exactly the Breen managed a surprise attack on Earth.
What makes you think they did? Isn't it just a little too convenient that Federation forces were absent at the time of the attack? And just where was Captain Sisko when all of this was going on? Come to think of it, has anyone actually seen a Breen, or are we just trusting the word of the so-called legitimate Federation government?

Open your eyes, sheeple. :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
I have a map that I bought in Lithuania that has all of the contested nations in Europe (Transnistria; South Assetia; Abkhasia, Nagorno-Karabach etc) marked. Its not like I bought it from some weird shop in some weird town; it was from a chain book shop on Klaipeda's main street. Not sure if the thread has any interest in it; the only other unique thing is that all of the country and city names are written in Lithuanian... Just dragged it out; its a little loaded in that it marks Kosovo as being independent while it labels the various Georgian, Armenian and Moldovian states with stripes...

e:

Lord Hydronium posted:

Open your eyes, sheeple. :tinfoil:

the NEW WORLD ORDER doesn't want us too; why do you think they've hosed up the forum :tinfoil:

IceAgeComing fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Mar 16, 2014