Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mulletstation
May 9, 2004

mo' mullets mo' problems
Gift of immortality works on any mid-sized annoying threat.

I'm surprised no-one has stuck it on a boros reckoner yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

Mortimer posted:

My first idea would be abhorrent overlord, too bad if you have black devotion it's already more efficient to slap down a gray merchant.

Which leads to my second idea: gray merchant, immortality, either block a giant GR monster or use removal on your own gray merchant.

Sac Gary to Bubbling Cauldron...or like any of the other Black sac options.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Mulletstation posted:

Playing it for value is less fun than WOMBO COMBO

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

bhsman posted:

Thragtusk would be better if it was costed as like 1GGGG or something.

I always thought Thragtusk and Vorapede should've had their casting costs swapped.

Madmarker posted:

Yeah, Delver was initially played as a replacement for phantasmal dragon in the illusions deck. Even then people were unsure if it deserved a place, and often thought that Phantasmal bear was the better card. I should note this opinion changed very quickly afterwards.
It was really interesting to see Mono-Blue Illusion Tribal Aggro slowly evolve into Delver.dec as people figured out what cards actually worked best in that manaleak/ponder/tempo spells shell.

Nissir
Apr 23, 2007
Man with no Title

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Festering Newt, Bogbrew Witch and Bubbling Cauldron :getin:

Black white Angelic Accord deck here I come!

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Entropic posted:

I always thought Thragtusk and Vorapede should've had their casting costs swapped.

It was really interesting to see Mono-Blue Illusion Tribal Aggro slowly evolve into Delver.dec as people figured out what cards actually worked best in that manaleak/ponder/tempo spells shell.

Yeah for the longest time, it didn't even run Geist of St. Traft either. It was a great evolution, and that decks growth and change over time is a definite factor in keeping me interested in Innistraad, and magic in general.

To this day I still don't understand why people disliked the standard Delver deck, it was such a fun, skill testing deck.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Madmarker posted:

To this day I still don't understand why people disliked the standard Delver deck, it was such a fun, skill testing deck.
Because it was miserable to play against.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Madmarker posted:

Yeah for the longest time, it didn't even run Geist of St. Traft either. It was a great evolution, and that decks growth and change over time is a definite factor in keeping me interested in Innistraad, and magic in general.

Because they hadn't bought Snapcasters and GOSTs and anything else they tried to put together was just miserable against Delver.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Madmarker posted:

Because people hated t1 delver, t2 delver, ponder, no shuffle, t3 flip both delvers revealing vapor snag. Not to mention the occasional blind delver flip mana leak t2 openers. The deck was incredibly threat dense because at one point it ended up playing I think 17 or 18 lands (Although maybe this was just Shuhei) in a deck that was casting Restoration Angel.

I thought Delver was a cool deck and fun to play against, but a lot of people hate counters. The recent deck I hated the most was the following rotations Jund value deck running Thragtusk, Olivia Voldaren, Liliana of the Veil and Huntmaster of the Fels. That deck was just a miserable sixty hour grind every single match. I can't even imagine what it would have been like without Nephalia Drownyard.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
Going back through the archives, it looks like there were some initial naysayers, but Thragtusk was so blatanly pushed it didn't take long for them to at least grudgingly give it a couple of sideboard slots. Maybe.

Here are some of the relevant posts. (click for HUGE)

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Going back to five color control for a moment, with all the good mana fixing in Modern could that deck work in the format, assuming money wasn't an issue? Or would it be too slow?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Basically whenever there is a single clear "best deck" in a format, there will be about an equal split between players who are running it and loving it and those who don't like it and wish they could go more than two rounds without facing it again.

See also caw-blade.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

C-Euro posted:

Going back to five color control for a moment, with all the good mana fixing in Modern could that deck work in the format, assuming money wasn't an issue? Or would it be too slow?

The closest I have seen to that is Paul Cheon used to mess around playing Cruel Control at some point last year. The format is too fast for anything like that to be a genuine threat of taking down tournaments, but Cheon won some matches with Cruel Control and that recently printed UR Fact or Fiction could probably go into it.

If you want genuine five color control I've never seen anyone run viable list in Modern.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
Domain Zoo sort of plays five colors, but it's definitely not control.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

rabidsquid posted:

The closest I have seen to that is Paul Cheon used to mess around playing Cruel Control at some point last year. The format is too fast for anything like that to be a genuine threat of taking down tournaments, but Cheon won some matches with Cruel Control and that recently printed UR Fact or Fiction could probably go into it.

If you want genuine five color control I've never seen anyone run viable list in Modern.

There's practically no reason to play Steam Augury in Modern when Gifts Ungiven is in the same format.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Zoness posted:

There's practically no reason to play Steam Augury in Modern when Gifts Ungiven is in the same format.

I actually forgot about Gifts, which gives you an idea of how long it has been since anyone has even bothered messing around with that stuff. Modern is just too fast of a format.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Would Fact or Fiction be too good for Modern? I feel like it would be fine.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Mulletstation posted:

I actually have seen it on a Boros Reckoner and it is as annoying as you think it is. You know the more I think about it, maybe with GR becoming more popular with BNG maybe its time to bring it back? It just doesn't do a lot in a black-heavy meta.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Entropic posted:

Would Fact or Fiction be too good for Modern? I feel like it would be fine.

Fact or Fiction probably wouldn't be too good for Modern, but I think it's probably too good for Standard, which would be the only way to get it in Modern.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

rabidsquid posted:

I actually forgot about Gifts, which gives you an idea of how long it has been since anyone has even bothered messing around with that stuff. Modern is just too fast of a format.

Reid Duke posted an article about Gifts Tron just today :v:

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

rabidsquid posted:

His argument was pretty much that "the downside is that you have to play worse spells than UW or UWr control decks, but the upside is that you get to cast Cruel Ultimatum", so I suspect it was more nostalgia than thinking the deck is a real contender.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Entropic posted:

See also caw-blade.

I honestly thought cawblade was worse (it was).

The innistrad format was a really good evolving format at first, but it eventually boiled down to 3 decks: Naya, Zombies, Delver. It kind of became a more obvious game of rock paper scissors.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

ScarletBrother posted:

Fact or Fiction probably wouldn't be too good for Modern, but I think it's probably too good for Standard, which would be the only way to get it in Modern.

They printed Thoughtseize in Standard. Anything is possible.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Caw-Blade was right when I started playing again after a 15 year hiatus and I'm surprised I stayed. I probably only lasted because there were only a relatively few people at my LGS who had bought all their jaces and poo poo for it, so there were plenty of other scrubs for me to play against once I lost the first round and my crappy GB infect deck that I hadn't even bought Inkmoths for yet was able to occasionally win against people playing Vampires or lifegain or what-have-you.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Veyrall posted:

Going back through the archives, it looks like there were some initial naysayers, but Thragtusk was so blatanly pushed it didn't take long for them to at least grudgingly give it a couple of sideboard slots. Maybe.

Weird seeing my own evaluation from so long ago. I was definitely right on the splashability and Resto Angel interaction being big selling points on Thragtusk, but somehow still sorely underestimated his usage. I always liked the card, but I think it seemed like a hard sell at the time that a green 5-drop would be the defining creature of Standard. And thinking it couldn't hold a $5 pricetag :laffo:

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

NofrikinfuN posted:

The best part of this is that the most effective devotion creatures are the ones that were created with the exact opposite design philosophy. Where devotion is about sticking to a color, hybrid mana is about making two colors interchangeable.

Hybrid = monocolour time isn't new/weird/an unknown factor for Wizards or Magic play generally. It was a notable trait of Shadowmoor/Eventide draft for example.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

qbert posted:

They printed Thoughtseize in Standard. Anything is possible.

Comparing Thoughtseize to Fact or Fiction makes about as much sense as saying that Chromanticore existing in current Standard is comparable to playing Cruel Ultimatum in 5CC Standard.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Veyrall posted:

That Nibble fellow is a smart guy. Need to get him to review every set.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Hybrid = monocolour time isn't new/weird/an unknown factor for Wizards or Magic play generally. It was a notable trait of Shadowmoor/Eventide draft for example.

I wouldn't be surprised if the reason all the gatecrash rare hybrid creatures had 3 hybrid mana in their cost each was because of how well they interact with devotion. The design on hybrid isn't there the cards are two colors, it's that they're monocolor in two colors.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Nibble posted:

Weird seeing my own evaluation from so long ago. I was definitely right on the splashability and Resto Angel interaction being big selling points on Thragtusk, but somehow still sorely underestimated his usage. I always liked the card, but I think it seemed like a hard sell at the time that a green 5-drop would be the defining creature of Standard. And thinking it couldn't hold a $5 pricetag :laffo:

Thragtusk wasn't a Delver killer. It looked promising as a curve top in the emerging Naya decks, but we couldn't have predicted RTR would kill tempo and add premium rare removal to make midrange so viable, or that an explosive triple color aggro deck would emerge to make that life gain so valuable. It was obviously a good card but The Year Of Midrange was all about giving Thragtusk a bunch of good homes. My worries were about whether it would find a home as a four of, and I don't think that's insane.

I think where we missed the mark is realizing that if it DID get a strong midrange environment, it would be so dominant that the EV of picking them up at five was still good.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Thragtusk wasn't a Delver killer. It looked promising as a curve top in the emerging Naya decks, but we couldn't have predicted RTR would kill tempo and add premium rare removal to make midrange so viable, or that an explosive triple color aggro deck would emerge to make that life gain so valuable. It was obviously a good card but The Year Of Midrange was all about giving Thragtusk a bunch of good homes. My worries were about whether it would find a home as a four of, and I don't think that's insane.

I think where we missed the mark is realizing that if it DID get a strong midrange environment, it would be so dominant that the EV of picking them up at five was still good.

Yeah, it was obviously designed to screw with Delver decks, but at 5 mana it was just to little to late against the aggro control deck. However, once delver lost access to its sweet, sweet spells (Oh Mana Leak we hardly knew ye) Thragtusk was able to dominate.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Korak posted:

That Nibble fellow is a smart guy. Need to get him to review every set.

I'm on the case :clint:

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Yeah context is huge. I don't recall, did Thragtusk even make a splash before RTR brought in Sphinx's Rev and Supreme Verdict? And what's the three-color aggro deck? The main one I remember from early in the season was monoblack or BR Zombies featuring Cackler/Ghoul/Gravecrawler and company.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Nibble posted:

I'm on the case :clint:

Yeah context is huge. I don't recall, did Thragtusk even make a splash before RTR brought in Sphinx's Rev and Supreme Verdict? And what's the three-color aggro deck? The main one I remember from early in the season was monoblack or BR Zombies featuring Cackler/Ghoul/Gravecrawler and company.

Thragtusk showed up in Naya midrange and pod decks. The aggro was Naya blitz.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
Looks like 'CrackGate' has concluded with a suspension. 18 months!

Here's Helen's announcement:

http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/news/20140314

Here's the updated list, which I liked better when they listed reasons:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dci/suspended

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Dont forget Thragtusk showed up in trading post sometimes!

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

En Fuego posted:

Looks like 'CrackGate' has concluded with a suspension. 18 months!

I still think there are much better names than 'CrackGate' to really shoehorn in the relation to wizard cards. Crackdown comes to mind. Maybe one of the photos could have been a Yawning Fissure.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Zoness posted:

I still think there are much better names than 'CrackGate' to really shoehorn in the relation to wizard cards. Crackdown comes to mind. Maybe one of the photos could have been a Yawning Fissure.

I know Riki Hayashi was throwing around Crackling Perimeter.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Zoness posted:

Really they just needed to flip the words. Gatecrack is much more fitting.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

En Fuego posted:

Here's the updated list, which I liked better when they listed reasons:

Me too, the only recent one I know on there is the guy from Massapequa, who was the store owner in this story. The lifetime bans are always interesting to wonder what they did to get a lifetime ban.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Caw Blade standard was degenerate as gently caress. I can't even remember a deck that you could play that wasn't blue/white with Jace and a bunch of swords/birds/etc.

Not terribly interactive magic, that.

• Locked thread