Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

Elder Postsman posted:

The one I saw was on 94 West, right after 280. That's definitely not Bachmann territory.

Jesus, you're not lyin'. That's in walking distance of my college--within walking distance of the OFA headquarters in 2012, even.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Mo_Steel posted:

Oh man that website is a treasure trove of fearmongering. This shows up in the rotating sidebar under this image::

It's actually outright stating "hey this law can't be used to gather info on gun ownership or use gun ownership to determine rates and it doesn't give any authority to the people in charge of these programs to do so either." And it seems to be held aloft as some sort of boogeyman. My mind reels.

If you know for a fact that none of your readers will read past two third word, you can act like its Obama bragging about taking arr gunz and people will just go along with it. Then they can claim that its right there in the law.

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

We think they're great. In a grand, mystical, neopolitical sense, these guys have a real message in their music. They don't, however, have neat names like me and Bono.

LeJackal posted:

Facebook. :smithicide:

A tribute to taking quotes completely out of context.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Soviet Commubot posted:

Putin worship aside I don't even know where to start with this.

"Cool, if you love Russia so much why not move there and become Russian like fake-Putin says?"

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Jurgan posted:

Ugh, what the hell. "Marge" here was my physics teacher in high school. I knew she was a conservative religious person, but I assumed she understood science.

I just so happen to be staying in North Charleston this week near those places she's talking about. It needs to be noted that there are no sidewalks in the area. Want to get to our place? You better drive you pleb :smug:

CoasterMaster
Aug 13, 2003

The Emperor of the Rides

Nap Ghost
Well this just showed up on my feed:

Here’s Why You Should Convert Your Music To 432 Hz

It's an article about how 432 Hz being A is more in tune with the Universe and it even goes :godwin: at times. It's kind of an amazing read (and it even ends by telling you how you can pitch your own music collection down to get it back in line with the light in the Universe).

It was fun living in a super hippie town for several years.

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

Fulchrum posted:

If you know for a fact that none of your readers will read past two third word, you can act like its Obama bragging about taking arr gunz and people will just go along with it. Then they can claim that its right there in the law.

Even better is that is a Soviet pistol (TT-33 Tokarev). I think they were looking for a Colt 1911(the quintessential american pistol) and said close enough.

brain.centipedes
Feb 6, 2010

Crain posted:

Just saw my token conservative post this:

I know I'm late on this, but it's bugging me. Why the hell does the Pres. have to sign a bill using so many different pens? What the hell is the logic of making him put down and pick up different pens when executing a single signature? That seems SO WEIRD to me.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
^^^^^^ edit:

Time posted:

The rationale is fairly simple. The pen used to sign historic legislation itself becomes a historical artifact. The more pens a President uses, the more thank-you gifts he can offer to those who helped create that piece of history. The White House often engraves the pens, which are then given as keepsakes to key proponents or supporters of the newly signed legislation. When Lyndon Johnson signed the Civil Rights Act in 1964, he reportedly used more than 75 pens (video footage can be found here, although camera cutaways make it hard to keep track) and gave one of the first ones to Martin Luther King Jr. Senators Hubert Humphrey and Everett McKinley Dirksen also received pens for their aid in shuttling the bill through Congress. And in 1996, President Clinton gave the four pens he used to sign the Line-Item Veto bill — which allowed Presidents to veto individual sections of legislation rather than the entire thing — to those most likely to appreciate the bill's impact: Gerald Ford, Jimmy Carter, Ronald Reagan and George H.W. Bush.

I can't figure out how to embed the link in the quote, so: http://content.time.com/time/politics/article/0,8599,1974490,00.html

Elder Postsman posted:

I'm pretty sure, like, none of those are true. So basically this Council for Health Freedom is encouraging people to go without or pay more for health insurance... for freedom? They really are grasping at straws trying to defeat Obamacare at this point.

quote:

3. Limited Choice - Most coverage is "narrow network" or "ultra-narrow network" policies, limiting access to doctors, hospitals and other health care professionals.

4. High Cost Premiums - To pay for multi-million dollars Exchange operations and for subsidizing high-cost individuals, the young and healthy will pay high-cost premiums for policies with high deductibles.

From my understanding, 3 is at least partially true. There was immense pressure to get a lot of plans certified for the exchanges in time for the rollout, so considerations like "is the provider network reasonable" sort of fell by the wayside. But! This can be easily fixed, as there is nothing stopping the provider networks from expanding. Like, ACA plans are exactly the same thing as private insurance plans; a doctor who isn't taking those plans today could easily decide to start taking them on Monday.

as for 4, the healthy subsidizing the sick is literally how insurance works, and high deductible health plans are increasingly becoming the norm, even in company provided plans. So while HDHPs suck and are bullshit - a 5k deductible and a 10k out of pocket maximum is still unaffordable to many (most?) Americans - it's not like they are unique to exchange plans.

The rest of that was bullshit though.

Swan Oat fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Mar 14, 2014

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

brain.centipedes posted:

I know I'm late on this, but it's bugging me. Why the hell does the Pres. have to sign a bill using so many different pens? What the hell is the logic of making him put down and pick up different pens when executing a single signature? That seems SO WEIRD to me.

Basically it's just for commemorative gifts. The Civil Rights Act signing involved somewhere between 72 and 114 pens since everyone wanted "a piece of history". So for landmark bills it's done for purely gift giving purposes. Also the pens are just mass produced bic pens so it costs nothing.

Presidents don't sign every bill this way.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Elder Postsman posted:

I saw this billboard on the way to work today:

And apparently the same organization has a few of these ones around, too:

This 1) doesn't really make any sense and 2) calls attention to the fact that health insurance in general is basically a is a form of gambling in which the house has rigged the game to always win, which is hardly a ringing endorsement of the status quo...but that's probably a little more thought than this billboard's intended audience is going to put into it, I guess.

Taaaaaaarb!
Nov 17, 2008

Electric Space Famicon

Mo_Steel posted:

Oh man that website is a treasure trove of fearmongering. This shows up in the rotating sidebar under this image::

It's actually outright stating "hey this law can't be used to gather info on gun ownership or use gun ownership to determine rates and it doesn't give any authority to the people in charge of these programs to do so either." And it seems to be held aloft as some sort of boogeyman. My mind reels.

Funny that, I tried to look up this wording in the bill:
http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/BILLS-111hr3590enr/pdf/BILLS-111hr3590enr.pdf

Should I be surprised that I cannot find this wording in the sections noted?

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Taaaaaaarb! posted:

Funny that, I tried to look up this wording in the bill:
http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/BILLS-111hr3590enr/pdf/BILLS-111hr3590enr.pdf

Should I be surprised that I cannot find this wording in the sections noted?

Pages 766 - 767 turned up for me by searching the PDF for "gun rights".

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

CoasterMaster posted:

It's an article about how 432 Hz being A is more in tune with the Universe and it even goes :godwin: at times. It's kind of an amazing read (and it even ends by telling you how you can pitch your own music collection down to get it back in line with the light in the Universe).

I've seen this before, and it's funny, because they're taking a resonant body with some stuff to visualize its vibration, and basically just figuring out what frequencies the particular body is tuned to. If the plate were a tad smaller, it would indeed "prefer" 440hz, simply because it resonates naturally at higher frequencies. A good pseudoscience.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Where did they find a font generator from 1998?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Elder Postsman posted:

I'm pretty sure, like, none of those are true. So basically this Council for Health Freedom is encouraging people to go without or pay more for health insurance... for freedom? They really are grasping at straws trying to defeat Obamacare at this point.

The Citizens Council for Health Freedom are the same clowns who made up fake "Obamacare" cards for people to burn in protest (aping '70s Vietnam protestors burning their draft cards).

Spaghett
May 2, 2007

Spooked ya...

Selachian posted:

The Citizens Council for Health Freedom are the same clowns who made up fake "Obamacare" cards for people to burn in protest (aping '70s Vietnam protestors burning their draft cards).

That's disgusting. Way to poo poo on actual outrage by legitimately angry people during a time of actual problems that the government manufactured.

Please tell me that those cards are technically forged government documents and that making them was some super crime so the government can wreck this organization.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Selachian posted:

I really want one of those cards. :shobon:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

That's like that idiot doctor who put up a sign saying he doesn't take Obamacare.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Anorexic Sea Turtle posted:

That's disgusting. Way to poo poo on actual outrage by legitimately angry people during a time of actual problems that the government manufactured.

Please tell me that those cards are technically forged government documents and that making them was some super crime so the government can wreck this organization.

No chance of that. There's no such thing as an Obamacare card.

emptyspace
Oct 21, 2008
edit: Nevermind, beaten. Should have refreshed before replying.

emptyspace fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Mar 14, 2014

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Anorexic Sea Turtle posted:

The fake Obamacare cards were just scans of '70s draft cards with "Obamacare" written at the top. :effort:

So I suppose you could kinda, sorta, in a way call them "forged government documents," but I'm sure any government attempt to shut them down would be laughed out of court (and give them a lot of undeserved free press).

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!

CoasterMaster posted:

Isn't the LaRouche movement really concerned about the concert tuning of A?

Interlude
Jan 24, 2001

Guns are basically hand fedoras.

Mo_Steel posted:

Proponents of gun control, even in this very thread, continually show their cards and advocate for total bans when they think no one is looking. Not to mention, in Democratically controlled states, they actually implement such policies. Why would you expect gun owners to be anything but paranoid in that climate? We're not exactly talking about death panels or FEMA camps here.

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

Interlude posted:

Proponents of gun control, even in this very thread, continually show their cards and advocate for total bans when they think no one is looking. Not to mention, in Democratically controlled states, they actually implement such policies. Why would you expect gun owners to be anything but paranoid in that climate? We're not exactly talking about death panels or FEMA camps here.

Some proponents do, most don't.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
Is D&D paywalled at the moment? I want to know, so I can post about how all guns should be confiscated and banned.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Interlude posted:

There are zero out of 50 states with total bans on guns. There is no popular support for such a movement outside of a handful of US cities, even among liberals. And even those cities only support the bans because of an especially high gun crime rate.

You're asking people why you shouldn't be paranoid based on a justification that is itself just a paranoid delusion.

Xombie fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Mar 14, 2014

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

Interlude posted:

Yeah, all those states in which guns are totally banned, like

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Interlude posted:

It's pretty paranoid because you're talking about things that aren't actually happening.

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp
The whole fake "Obamacare" card thing reminded me of this from yesterday.

The person I am replying to is a 64 year old woman who, along with her son, was a regular at my old job selling video games (she also had a huge crush on me). Both of them have a host of health problems, have little income, and are very Christian. She regularly shares things about prayer on facebook, along with a smattering of conservative posts, but from the few times I've politely rebutted a few of the untrue postings, I kind of get the idea she's not the typical frothing at the mouth tea-partier, but rather agrees with the knee jerk response of her family members (whom I have gotten into it with in the comments section), and then realizes it's wrong once you point out the rational side of things. She's really sweet, and it kills me to see her buying into this crap that will ultimately harm her. I hope she listens to what I say. I think the fact that she likes me so much helps may help sway her a bit.

Duck_King fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Mar 14, 2014

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT

Cat Face Joe posted:

Why does the president sign with multiple pens?

(GUBMINT WASTE)

The pens are handed out as souvenirs for people involved in the bills or just happen to be in the room. I have a Nixon pen. :D

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

Duck_King posted:

is a 64 year old woman who

She hates evil government Obamacare but I guarantee you she is just waiting on her seat to cross 65 and get some of that sweet, sweet Medicare.

Spaghett
May 2, 2007

Spooked ya...

CoasterMaster posted:

I hope that the person who started this movement was just some smug trumpet player that refused to believe he was out of tune with the rest of the orchestra.

And was promptly kicked out.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I really want to touch the poop on that one because tuning standards have been all over the place for centuries and there must be some fantastic Illuminati explanation for the slowly-rising tone of concert A.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
One thing that worked for me when dealing a conservative friend was to appeal to realpolitik.

If you want help with Obamacare, don't ask a Republican friend, he has every political incentive to give up and say that it sucks.

If you ask a Democrat, he's got every incentive to make it work to prove to you how awesome Obamacare is.

You don't have to like Obamacare but you're going to pay for it one way or another. Might as well make some Democrat friend work his rear end off and get covered.

Taaaaaaarb!
Nov 17, 2008

Electric Space Famicon

Mo_Steel posted:

Pages 766 - 767 turned up for me by searching the PDF for "gun rights".

Excellent! I was trying to find the drat thing but both Firefox and Acrobat were not letting me have any of it. Otherwise, yeah it looks like it's saying that the ACA doesn't infringe 2nd amendment rights like Mo_Steel was saying.

Interlude posted:

You're full of poo poo - either give us some hard evidence that might indicate what you're saying is true or a retraction.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Duck_King posted:

The whole fake "Obamacare" card thing reminded me of this from yesterday.

The person I am replying to is a 64 year old woman who, along with her son, was a regular at my old job selling video games (she also had a huge crush on me). Both of them have a host of health problems, have little income, and are very Christian. She regularly shares things about prayer on facebook, along with a smattering of conservative posts, but from the few times I've politely rebutted a few of the untrue postings, I kind of get the idea she's not the typical frothing at the mouth tea-partier, but rather agrees with the knee jerk response of her family members (whom I have gotten into it with in the comments section), and then realizes it's wrong once you point out the rational side of things. She's really sweet, and it kills me to see her buying into this crap that will ultimately harm her. I hope she listens to what I say. I think the fact that she likes me so much helps may help sway her a bit.

Also those numbers probably didnt happen.
http://www.snopes.com/politics/medical/penalty.asp I imagine people just take this forward and edit the numbers.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

My dad made the same kind of insane claims about health insurance marketplace deductibles being really high for expensive plans. It turns out he was reading the out-of-pocket limits and not the deductibles.

Interlude
Jan 24, 2001

Guns are basically hand fedoras.

Taaaaaaarb! posted:

You're full of poo poo - either give us some hard evidence that might indicate what you're saying is true or a retraction.
DC entirely banned handguns until they were told they couldn't. Chicago banned all handguns as well as all gun sales and transfers until they were told they couldn't. San Francisco tried to ban all handguns in the 80s but was preempted by the state. CA has a roster of "allowed handguns" which has the practical effect of banning any gun whose manufacturer doesn't cough up extortion money to the government; their new microstamping regulation is accelerating this process. Assault weapons bans are commonplace; in NYC, they allowed registration and then confiscated everything that was registered. Sen. John Chaffe of RI, Rep. Bobby Rush of IL, Rep. Major Ownes of NY, Rep. William Clay of MO, Sen. Bill Bradley of NJ, and several others have publicly supported handgun bans.

Bills are proposed all the time to ban all semi-automatic weapons, one of which was recently passed and then vetoed in CA. A magazine capacity ban in NJ being debated now has the potential to make vast swaths of small-caliber hunting rifles illegal. Bills are constantly introduced to outright or de facto ban entire swaths of weapons via microstamping, requiring gun owners to carry liability insurance, banning people on the no-fly list from owning guns, loosening criteria for being added to prohibited purchaser lists (especially via dubious mental health-related scarlet letters), incrementally banning low-hanging fruit like .50 caliber rifles and .50AE pistols, widening "gun free zones" to the point where gun owners will have to huddle under a bridge like those sex offenders in FL, making the issuance of a pistol permit hinge on a letter from your doctor, requiring psychological examinations before guns can be purchased, banning certain types of ammo, etc.

Dianne Feinstein, arguably the most vocal proponent of gun control in the US Senate in recent decades, is on record saying she wanted to ban all guns but couldn't get the votes. Cuomo in NY said before the SAFE act that confiscation was an option. A few other influential politicians have advocated similarly (sources suck but they're just links to videos).

But I guess gun owners shouldn't be paranoid because no place in the US (currently) bans ALL guns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Interlude posted:

DC entirely banned handguns until they were told they couldn't. Chicago banned all handguns as well as all gun sales and transfers until they were told they couldn't. San Francisco tried to ban all handguns in the 80s but was preempted by the state. CA has a roster of "allowed handguns" which has the practical effect of banning any gun whose manufacturer doesn't cough up extortion money to the government; their new microstamping regulation is accelerating this process. Assault weapons bans are commonplace; in NYC, they allowed registration and then confiscated everything that was registered. Sen. John Chaffe of RI, Rep. Bobby Rush of IL, Rep. Major Ownes of NY, Rep. William Clay of MO, Sen. Bill Bradley of NJ, and several others have publicly supported handgun bans.

Bills are proposed all the time to ban all semi-automatic weapons, one of which was recently passed and then vetoed in CA. A magazine capacity ban in NJ being debated now has the potential to make vast swaths of small-caliber hunting rifles illegal. Bills are constantly introduced to outright or de facto ban entire swaths of weapons via microstamping, requiring gun owners to carry liability insurance, banning people on the no-fly list from owning guns, loosening criteria for being added to prohibited purchaser lists (especially via dubious mental health-related scarlet letters), incrementally banning low-hanging fruit like .50 caliber rifles and .50AE pistols, widening "gun free zones" to the point where gun owners will have to huddle under a bridge like those sex offenders in FL, making the issuance of a pistol permit hinge on a letter from your doctor, requiring psychological examinations before guns can be purchased, banning certain types of ammo, etc.

Dianne Feinstein, arguably the most vocal proponent of gun control in the US Senate in recent decades, is on record saying she wanted to ban all guns but couldn't get the votes. Cuomo in NY said before the SAFE act that confiscation was an option. A few other influential politicians have advocated similarly (sources suck but they're just links to videos).

But I guess gun owners shouldn't be paranoid because no place in the US (currently) bans ALL guns.

Every third time I come in this thread you're posting off-topic poo poo about guns. Now you're sourcing breitbart and "gunssavelives" which regardless of what they're linking to, no one cares to visit. Please go away

hint: the topic is crazy forwarded political emails, not gun apologism

emdash fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Mar 14, 2014