Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

MrFlibble posted:

Pretty easily I imagine - just introduce her as a psychiatrist who was turned into a wackadoodle by one of her patients, a real joker.

Shes kind of perfect for Arrow, in terms of comic book characters, because shes not big enough to be in the films but has a following that would be excited to see her.

Unless they watched Birds of Prey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

bobkatt013 posted:

Unless they watched Birds of Prey.

I thought she was done pretty decently there. It was the rest of the show that was horrible.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
Alternatively this could be a pre-insanity Harley - ie, in her Harleen days, assuming its not just a whole new character. Though if she did become Harley in the show, they could always make a reference along the lines of her escaping and potentially heading to Gotham City. Doubts about how well she would survive, because who in the world would look out for her in a city like that?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Astro Nut posted:

Alternatively this could be a pre-insanity Harley - ie, in her Harleen days, assuming its not just a whole new character. Though if she did become Harley in the show, they could always make a reference along the lines of her escaping and potentially heading to Gotham City. Doubts about how well she would survive, because who in the world would look out for her in a city like that?

I doubt they would take this route (assuming than is Harley) since she's locked with high profile criminals already.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm gonna go waaaay out on a limb and say it's not Harley.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Harley can work for The Trickster

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I doubt they would take this route (assuming than is Harley) since she's locked with high profile criminals already.

I meant after any given story arc in show might end, and then alluding to her first encounter with Joker down the line.

Or not, the show has played some curveballs.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
I hope it's Harley just so she can give Ollie the idea of naming the Arrow Cave "the Quiver."

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
compromise: she's The Harlequin

Popper
Nov 15, 2006

It's actually pretty impressive that an entire series of setup around the Suicide Squad (with Diggles!) fighting Deathstroke, with the Arrow team coming together for the first time is being entirely overshadowed by 2 seconds of possible Harley Quinn in a trailer.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Popper posted:

It's actually pretty impressive that an entire series of setup around the Suicide Squad (with Diggles!) fighting Deathstroke, with the Arrow team coming together for the first time is being entirely overshadowed by 2 seconds of possible Harley Quinn in a trailer.

Uh, the best part of that trailer was Roy punching Slade, who just shrugs it off :colbert:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Bad Moon posted:

Uh, the best part of that trailer was Roy punching Slade, who just shrugs it off :colbert:

This guy totally knows what's up.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
There's no doubt that it's Harley. But it'll probably be a brief *wink wink* cameo deal rather than an actual introduction to a full character. I mean I would love Harley to be an actual villain in the show but I dunno if that's really something the Arrow producers would use for this show right now.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

ufarn posted:

Sorry you hear this from me, but it actually exists in BSS.

Yeah, I know, that's why I told people to take it there. I meant there's not going to be one in this forum.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Axel Serenity posted:

There's no doubt that it's Harley. But it'll probably be a brief *wink wink* cameo deal rather than an actual introduction to a full character. I mean I would love Harley to be an actual villain in the show but I dunno if that's really something the Arrow producers would use for this show right now.

Or if she's someone they CAN use.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Axel Serenity posted:

Harley being loose on Starling could tie neatly with the rumored Nightwing appearance

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Harley is the first character mentioned I have zero interest in ever seeing on this show. Oh, second after any kind of Green Lantern I guess.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Popper posted:

I have no idea who this Harley Quinn person is so there was no overshadowing at all.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Deadpool posted:

Harley is the first character mentioned I have zero interest in ever seeing on this show. Oh, second after any kind of Green Lantern I guess.

Not ever if he shows up in a motorcycle and proposes a roadtrip across America?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Deadpool posted:

Oh, second after any kind of Green Lantern I guess.

The gently caress man?

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Some Numbers posted:

Or if she's someone they CAN use.

They can. The only characters where WB has to jump through legal hoops are characters used in the original Adam West show, the rights of which were owned by Fox last I checked, and even those may have had a settlement with the new Gotham show.

Harley, Clayface, and a lot of the other familiars from the Animated Series were created long after the Adam West and were included when WB bought the rights to DC. So, they can be used wherever the studio wants.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

zoux posted:

The gently caress man?

I really don't like Green Lanterns. Or any of the other Lanterns.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Deadpool posted:

I really don't like Green Lanterns. Or any of the other Lanterns.

Batman spotted

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
They could maybe carry their own show if you really hacked away at the trappings to get to the Lensmen Cop in Space central premise. Just set it far, far away from Arrow.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Axel Serenity posted:

They can. The only characters where WB has to jump through legal hoops are characters used in the original Adam West show, the rights of which were owned by Fox last I checked, and even those may have had a settlement with the new Gotham show.

Harley, Clayface, and a lot of the other familiars from the Animated Series were created long after the Adam West and were included when WB bought the rights to DC. So, they can be used wherever the studio wants.

Pretty sure the Bat-Embargo is just DC film and DC TV being in a pissing match with each other, and not a rights issue like Marvel.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rarity posted:

The weird part of introducing Harley (which would be awesome) is how the hell do you convert her origin over for a show where Batman and the Joker don't exist?

She doesn't need an origin story, why can't she just be Harley who's been arrested multiple times already. Who said they don't exist. Just because something isn't mentioned, doesn't mean anything.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

jscolon2.0 posted:

Pretty sure the Bat-Embargo is just DC film and DC TV being in a pissing match with each other, and not a rights issue like Marvel.

I used to work for WB. It is definitely a rights issue, which is why the old tv show is just now getting a dvd release, and why the new Gotham show is airing on Fox instead of other networks. If it wasn't on Fox, it would not get made.

Keep in mind DC has literally no say on what mediums or formats their characters appear in. They are owned by Time-Warner, so whatever Kevin Tsujihara and Jeff Bewkes wants will happen. If they could have made a Batman live action by now, they would have because that is a LOT of money they are missing out on.

So, Arrow has to do for now, and it is definitely no coincidence the tone and whatnot fit closer to the "real" Nolan movies. It's the closest show to Batman WB can make in live-action right now.

Axel Serenity fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Mar 14, 2014

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Axel Serenity posted:

I used to work for WB. It is definitely a rights issue, which is why the old tv show is just now getting a dvd release, and why the new Gotham show is airing on Fox.

Keep in mind DC has literally no say on what mediums or formats their characters appear in. They are owned by Time-Warner, so whatever Kevin Tsujihara and Jeff Bewkes wants will happen. If they could have made a Batman live action by now, they would have because that is a LOT of money they are missing out on.

This is at odds with what the creators have said, which is that there is a list (a short one) of DC characters that they are not allowed to reference.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Axel Serenity posted:

Keeping my fingers crossed for a Baby Doll appearance then!

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Some Numbers posted:

This is at odds with what the creators have said, which is that there is a list (a short one) of DC characters that they are not allowed to reference.

Exactly. Because they don't own the live-action tv rights to those Batman characters because they are owned by Fox. They can use them in literally any other format but live-action television.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Axel Serenity posted:

Exactly. Because they don't own the live-action tv rights to those Batman characters because they are owned by Fox. They can use them in literally any other format but live-action television.

So you're saying than we will never get a live-action Bruce Wayne outside of Fox? :wtc:

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I forget who said it, but about the only approach to green lantern that I've enjoyed is basically treating it as a science fiction cop show, with the corps being the galaxy's precinct.

Otherwise it feels derivative and well... there's very little green lantern stories that have been my cup of tea.

I also think that pretty much anyone from Batman's rogues gallery is a good fit for Arrow - similar power levels make a lot of sense.

There are also some other corners of the DCU that I think would fit well with Arrow - Kate Spencer's manhunter being my top choice. Her character could very easily slot right in as Laurel's law school buddy with a unique approach towards justice.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

So you're saying than we will never get a live-action Bruce Wayne outside of Fox? :wtc:

Essentially, yes. Warner Bros. could, theoretically buy the rights to live-action back, but Fox has been holding onto them for decades. With the way copyright law works for franchises like that, they can pretty much renew the copyright indefinitely and hold on to them as incentive against Warner Bros. for co-productions or legal tennis. The old tv show DVDs are almost certainly giving Fox a cut of the profits (or Fox is giving them to WB depending on how the license was worded). Same with the Gotham show: WB gets the rights to finally produce a Gotham City show with the stipulation that it has to air on the Fox network, can only use a very limited gallery of characters in a very specific scope, and obviously Fox thinks they will make a lot of money for their commercials and probably portions of the syndication rights. The whole situation is similar to what happened when Watchmen was made.

As far as how this relates to Arrow:
Getting Nightwing is probably the best Arrow will get in terms of the Batman universe, and only because the way these licenses are written are very specific. Dick Grayson as a young boy Robin is tied up under lock-and-key at Fox, but Nightwing as a character is different than the Dick Grayson they own.

It's really confusing at a certain point since comics undergo so many different iterations over the years, so different companies may have rights to a very specific version of a character but not others. This is what happened with the Superman lawsuit over the past couple of years where the heirs to the creators were wrangling WB over licensing royalties, but those heirs could only hold claim to the very specific, non-flying version of Superman when he was originally created, not the Man of Steel version that's basically Goku.

Short answer is that we'll never see the main Batman rogues gallery in a show if they were part of the Adam West series, i.e. Joker, Catwoman, Riddler, Mr. Freeze, etc. unless Fox drops their act or WB pays literally billions of dollars for the rights, which probably won't happen since television series are rarely worth that level of commitment before the shows are even made.

Which is part of what makes Arrow and the upcoming Flash show so much fun. We get to see characters that aren't the super-well-known moneymakers. Handled right, DC has a ton of great figures that never normally see the light of day because "They aren't The Joker." Now, we get a show where loving Deadshot is a principal villain, and it's awesome! That probably never would have happened if it weren't for the lack of rights. In fact, I doubt Arrow would even exist if WB could have just made Batman instead.

Axel Serenity fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Mar 15, 2014

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Axel Serenity posted:

Short answer is that we'll never see the main Batman rogues gallery in a show if they were part of the Adam West series, i.e. Joker, Catwoman, Riddler, Mr. Freeze, etc. unless Fox drops their act or WB pays literally billions of dollars for the rights, which probably won't happen since television series are rarely worth that level of commitment before the shows are even made.

Clock King was just on the show. And he was in the Adam West show. But I get what you're saying about the main bad guys. I just don't think it's as cut and dry as you'd have us believe.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Deadpool posted:

Clock King was just on the show. And he was in the Adam West show. But I get what you're saying about the main bad guys. I just don't think it's as cut and dry as you'd have us believe.

Oh, it's by no means cut and dry. Things like this never are, usually because of how the rights are written out and how legal text changes over time and with different cases going through. It usually doesn't come down to "Was this character used?" but more of "What version of this character was used? What was his alter ego? Was he referred to by [X] name?" That kind of thing. And with the recent re-license of the show and the creation of "Gotham," who knows what rights were and were not exchanged behind-the-scenes? A big name like Joker? Probably not. But lesser-known characters like Clock King may or may not have ever been part of the original licensing.

Most of the lawsuits and legal issues are public record, even if the settlements are not. At least to a certain extent, anyway. You can probably find an accurate list of what characters are and are not covered by the Fox rights. If you want a good example of how licenses are handled nowadays, you can Google the licensing rights granted to WB for Harry Potter. I think Deadline even posted them. But, basically, imagine a product existing and it is probably covered very specifically in that HP contract. Things like that exist almost entirely because of issues like the Batman and Superman rights. Studios have to cover every conceivable possibility now, whereas back then the concept of something like "DVD rights" didn't even exist because who ever would have imagined being able to replay a show through a device at home? That's what broadcast reruns are for!

When the Adam West show was made, the industry was not as forward-thinking, and the contracts get really messy under today's rules, so you'll see a lot of lawsuits popping up regarding comic book characters. I think there's even another one popping up over Spider-Man that was announced last week. If I'm making it sound cut-and-dry, I certainly don't mean it to be, because comic book character rights are really, incredibly complicated right now.

Axel Serenity fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Mar 15, 2014

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Rarity posted:

The weird part of introducing Harley (which would be awesome) is how the hell do you convert her origin over for a show where Batman and the Joker don't exist?

They're not characters in the show, but with the rear end loads of references being thrown around, they probably do exist in Arrow-verse Gotham.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Axel Serenity posted:

Remarkably clear statements on the broadcast rights of WB vs. Fox

Thank you so much for that. It all makes a whole lot more sense now.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Apparently there's a leaked call sheet for episode 19 (The Man Under the Hood) going around that shows at least one scene takes place at STAR Labs in Central City and features a couple members of the Flash cast including Danielle Panabaker (Caitlin Snow) and Carlos Valdez (Cisco Ramon).

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
I wonder if that means the backdoor pilot plans never really changed, the Flash show just got ordered to series regardless. So we'll still get an episode of Felicity/Oliver/whoever else in Central City when Barry wakes up and discovers his new powers. Seeing Barry in his full Flash costume in the pilot kind of makes more sense as a result.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Deadpool posted:

Apparently there's a leaked call sheet for episode 19 (The Man Under the Hood) going around that shows at least one scene takes place at STAR Labs in Central City and features a couple members of the Flash cast including Danielle Panabaker (Caitlin Snow) and Carlos Valdez (Cisco Ramon).

Please, stop using 'Hood' on teases and episode titles show. It keeps boosting my hopes of having a live-action Jason Todd :smith:

• Locked thread