Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
The free to play games are also PS4/PC, like Planetside 2, Blacklight, and Warframe. Though Warframe might come to xb1?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Bass Bottles posted:

The free to play games are also PS4/PC, like Planetside 2, Blacklight, and Warframe. Though Warframe might come to xb1?

Yeah they were definitely talking about it.

Oh FF14 is another PC/PS4/PS3 exclusive as microsoft refused to let people play on the same servers as playstation/pc players. Its a loving mmo! :psyduck:

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Stux posted:

Yeah they were definitely talking about it.

Oh FF14 is another PC/PS4/PS3 exclusive as microsoft refused to let people play on the same servers as playstation/pc players. Its a loving mmo! :psyduck:

It's only competition if the servers touch.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

BARONS GAMES WHINER posted:

Almost every indie game is PC/PS4 because Microsoft literally told a bunch of indie devs (before the 180) that they "weren't suitable for the platform" or were otherwise unwanted.

Like that ID@Xbox launch parity clause. (They called their indie program "idiot xbox" :lol:) If you release on some other platform, you're no longer welcome on the xbox... Because reasons.

A shrubbery!
Jan 16, 2009
I LOOK DOWN ON MY REAL LIFE FRIENDS BECAUSE OF THEIR VIDEO GAME PURCHASING DECISIONS.

I'M THAT MUCH OF AN INSUFFERABLE SPERGLORD
I can't remember which dev it was off-hand, but it made me sad reading that they were denied permission to release on Xbone because they didn't have a big-name publisher behind them, despite being a large enough developer that they could afford to self-publish and wanted to do that.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

This seems like an appropriate place to ask -- is there a Project Spark thread? I CTRL+Fed like ten pages deep into Games and didn't see one. I'm genuinely curious about it and was wondering what people had to say about it. It's in beta now, so there should probably be goons playing it. Is there an NDA or what?

BabyMauler
Sep 19, 2005

loquacius posted:

This seems like an appropriate place to ask -- is there a Project Spark thread? I CTRL+Fed like ten pages deep into Games and didn't see one. I'm genuinely curious about it and was wondering what people had to say about it. It's in beta now, so there should probably be goons playing it. Is there an NDA or what?

It is microtransacted to hell and back. Whatever you can do to be creative costs an arm and a leg. It costs like five bucks per land type, poo poo like that. Everything is locked behind a paywall of some kind.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

loquacius posted:

It's an interesting premise but it's really badly plagued by microtransactions in the beta. Something like 3/4 of the tools and objects are behind a paywall, and if you create anything with those items, the only people who can play your creation have to own it as well. If they don't, they have 30 minutes per day to play creations which use content they don't own.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

I think the problem most people have with shooters is all the circlestrafing bunnyhopping twelve year olds who headshot, headshot, headshot. Probably while using mice and keys.

Because that's not annoying as gently caress to play against at all.

Gosh it sure is terrible when people are good at playing games and make use of legitimate game mechanics. If you use a controller for an FPS on a computer then god help you. Buy the console version so that everyone else is equally gimped, buy a mouse and keyboard for your computer.

Tangentially, is there a way to easily mute voice chat on Xbone live? This is one of the main things that makes me not want to play Titanfall or anything on live. gently caress voice chat, but I don't want to turn sound off.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

univbee posted:

It's an interesting premise but it's really badly plagued by microtransactions in the beta. Something like 3/4 of the tools and objects are behind a paywall, and if you create anything with those items, the only people who can play your creation have to own it as well. If they don't, they have 30 minutes per day to play creations which use content they don't own.

Does this really matter that much? From what I've read it doesn't sound like many people's creations are actually worth more than 5 minutes, much less 30.

Or does it mean you have 30 minutes total per day to play ANY creation using content you don't have? like if Schmuck A uses a garbage can, you spend 30 minutes on that level, you can no longer play Schmuck B's Garbage Emporium level until the next day?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Saladman posted:

Gosh it sure is terrible when people are good at playing games and make use of legitimate game mechanics. If you use a controller for an FPS on a computer then god help you. Buy the console version so that everyone else is equally gimped, buy a mouse and keyboard for your computer.

Tangentially, is there a way to easily mute voice chat on Xbone live? This is one of the main things that makes me not want to play Titanfall or anything on live. gently caress voice chat, but I don't want to turn sound off.

I think his point, which was a legitimate thing on PS3/360, was that people use a device called a XIM that basically cons the console into thinking a keyboard/mouse is an official controller, letting them play phenomenally well (especially since they could use techniques that are relatively easy on a kb/m but difficult/impossible on a controller with sticks) against opponents who are at a control disadvantage.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Saladman posted:

I've been playing Titanfall on PC with a controller and having absolutely no problem at all. :colbert:

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

Saladman posted:

Or does it mean you have 30 minutes total per day to play ANY creation using content you don't have? like if Schmuck A uses a garbage can, you spend 30 minutes on that level, you can no longer play Schmuck B's Garbage Emporium level until the next day?

Yes, it's 30 minutes of 'Spark Time' when you aren't restricted on the levels you can play, per day.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

catanussurprise posted:

Reading the other thread from novemeber it was incontrovertible forum fact that the PS4 was gonna outsell XB by 3-1 and die a slow death. I'm just happy thats nowhere near the case.

While I have nothing invested in this horse race yet (although I'll probably buy a PS4 in a couple years), keep in mind if the stores were all of a sudden flooded with 1,000,000 PS4s, it's pretty safe to say they'd be sold within a month. Or even a week. Xbox does not have a supply issue whatsoever and they are still not selling as much as a severely supply limited PS4.

VincesUndies
Jul 18, 2002

Vince McMahon's Underpants

Saladman posted:

Plug in your headset and don't put the headset on your head.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007

BARONS GAMES WHINER posted:

It's only competition if the servers touch.

had to :golfclap:

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Saladman posted:

Does this really matter that much? From what I've read it doesn't sound like many people's creations are actually worth more than 5 minutes, much less 30.

Does that sound appealing to you, though? "I could spend my spark time on this level, but I might find some better level later and then wouldn't have enough time to play that level"

Especially if you have bought extra spark time using real money.

VincesUndies
Jul 18, 2002

Vince McMahon's Underpants
I just discovered that the Smartglass iPhone app lets me watch my friends game clips. Goodbye work productivity!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Saladman posted:

Just think: if the time limit/pay wall restrictions weren't in place, then people would be free to spend as long as they want crafting levels/games/things for other people to then play as long as they want. They could offer demos of their decent creations and if members of the public bought them, then Microsoft could have commanded a 20% cut of the sale.

It's a scheme to make money that doesn't involve severely limiting your appeal or annoying the customers who could have made some interesting things.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.
This is less about the Xbox and more about a dumb TV, but I figured I'd ask anyway. Come with me on this adventure. I have a 40" RCA and a 42" Westinghouse LCD in my house. The 40" was in the living room with the bone and the 42" in the loft, not used as often. I decided to mount the living room TV to the wall and decided why not switch to the 42" for a glorious two inch upgrade, what guy is gonna say no to that am I right fellas? So I get it done, run through the xbone TV config to set up the new TV, and everything works except it won't turn on and off with the xbone automatically like the last one did. It turns out this bad TV has an on/off power toggle thing that is dumb as poo poo. When I set it up with my harmony remote, you have to manually push the power button twice to turn it on, and twice to turn it off. The remote it came with only requires one button push. So I can only assume the xbone is sending the power command once as well. The TV emulates Sony remote codes as well as its own (Westinghouse) and though I've successfully found several remote codes that work every TV feature, still the on/off thing doesn't work or requires two button pushes. I did mucho research online and read about things like toggle and discrete power signals and frankly I don't think there's hope because it's just a lovely TV. So now I decide if I want to trade the convenience of having the TV power on and off automatically or drop back down two inches. Life is hard, if anyone knows anything about getting a Westinghouse TX-42F810G working with an xbone let me know. Hopefully it just falls off the wall and then I get to buy a new/better TV.

Also my four year old has a lot of fun building dumb stuff in project spark, so there's that.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

slidebite posted:

While I have nothing invested in this horse race yet (although I'll probably buy a PS4 in a couple years), keep in mind if the stores were all of a sudden flooded with 1,000,000 PS4s, it's pretty safe to say they'd be sold within a month. Or even a week. Xbox does not have a supply issue whatsoever and they are still not selling as much as a severely supply limited PS4.

Are supplies actually limited at this point? I've seen both consoles stocked in all the stores I've been to.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

Knightmare posted:

Are supplies actually limited at this point? I've seen both consoles stocked in all the stores I've been to.

They come and go, but it's not difficult at all to find either one, at least near me.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Knightmare posted:

Amazon has some right now, but they come and go. I personally cannot find them unless I head into a large city then hunt around a bit. A few online stores have bundles avaiable as well, if you really wanted it. Still very limited in comparison to the Xbox in my area.

Matlock Birthmark fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Mar 14, 2014

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Knightmare posted:

It varies between areas and how lucky you get with timing. Here in Montreal I did a quick check online, the only easy way to get a PS4 was to order it in a $560 bundle from EBGames with an extra controller, COD Ghosts, and FIFA 14.

Future Shop has no stock anywhere for PS4's and won't let you reserve or order online.
Xbox One all 18 stores within 50 miles of me have stock of both the regular and Titanfall editions of the console.

It's definitely going to vary, though, apparently people have been generally having luck finding PS4's by going to less usual places. If you have a set mind you could probably find a PS4, but if you're :effort: maybe not.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I have yet to see a single PS4 in store anywhere, ever. Then again I haven't been hitting the stores every day either. I have seen bones in stock each time though.

I do know of a few people that have been trying to score a PS4 in store half-assed since launch and haven't seen one either but maybe it's :effort:

Only PS4s I've seen in stock online are overpriced poo poo bundles or market up well over MSRP for just the console.

ten_twentyfour
Jan 24, 2008

OldPueblo posted:

This is less about the Xbox and more about a dumb TV, but I figured I'd ask anyway. Come with me on this adventure. I have a 40" RCA and a 42" Westinghouse LCD in my house. The 40" was in the living room with the bone and the 42" in the loft, not used as often. I decided to mount the living room TV to the wall and decided why not switch to the 42" for a glorious two inch upgrade, what guy is gonna say no to that am I right fellas? So I get it done, run through the xbone TV config to set up the new TV, and everything works except it won't turn on and off with the xbone automatically like the last one did. It turns out this bad TV has an on/off power toggle thing that is dumb as poo poo. When I set it up with my harmony remote, you have to manually push the power button twice to turn it on, and twice to turn it off. The remote it came with only requires one button push. So I can only assume the xbone is sending the power command once as well. The TV emulates Sony remote codes as well as its own (Westinghouse) and though I've successfully found several remote codes that work every TV feature, still the on/off thing doesn't work or requires two button pushes. I did mucho research online and read about things like toggle and discrete power signals and frankly I don't think there's hope because it's just a lovely TV. So now I decide if I want to trade the convenience of having the TV power on and off automatically or drop back down two inches. Life is hard, if anyone knows anything about getting a Westinghouse TX-42F810G working with an xbone let me know. Hopefully it just falls off the wall and then I get to buy a new/better TV.

Also my four year old has a lot of fun building dumb stuff in project spark, so there's that.

I believe the auto power on is accomplished with HDMI-CEC. The Westinghouse may not be HDMI-CEC compatible. Also are you using the same HDMI cable to connect the Westinghouse as the RCA? The cable itself needs to be HDMI-CEC compatible too.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

ten_twentyfour posted:

I believe the auto power on is accomplished with HDMI-CEC. The Westinghouse may not be HDMI-CEC compatible. Also are you using the same HDMI cable to connect the Westinghouse as the RCA? The cable itself needs to be HDMI-CEC compatible too.

It's not HDMI-CEC. Xbox One does everything via IR blasting.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

ten_twentyfour posted:

The cable itself needs to be HDMI-CEC compatible too.

Uh.

HDMI passive cables (the kind you get at Monoprice or AmazonBasics or Harbor Freight or whatever) have no logic at all, and since they only carry digital signals whatever got a clean picture through (as in no shimmering/dots/etc) would get commands through as well. And HDMI active cables (usually RedMere or something) are signal-agnostic; the only material concern is bandwidth.

As long as all the contacts and the shield are wired through properly and it's not dust-gauge or something it'll be fine. And if either of those isn't true then your cable was always garbage - EDIT: and can be replaced with a cable that's fit for purpose for a pittance.

TLDR: HDMI cable standards-compliance is material compliance and can be determined pretty simply by a layman; seeing some capability plastered on a package is closer to a warning flag than a feature.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Mar 14, 2014

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

I eat Rotheseburgehergh's like you for breakfast

slidebite posted:

I have yet to see a single PS4 in store anywhere, ever. Then again I haven't been hitting the stores every day either. I have seen bones in stock each time though.

I do know of a few people that have been trying to score a PS4 in store half-assed since launch and haven't seen one either but maybe it's :effort:

Only PS4s I've seen in stock online are overpriced poo poo bundles or market up well over MSRP for just the console.

I know where I live (Pittsburgh) its super regional. I work in a 'cool'/young part of town and if I go to gamestop when I am on lunchbreak or right after work or something, I know I cant buy any game on launch day (without having reserved it of course) and they have zero PS4's, ever. Been there a half dozen times since launch and have never seen a PS4.

However, I live in a not very cool part of town and the Gamestop near me has had a "we have PS4's in stock!" sign on the door pretty much every time I have been there for months. I was just in there today and there was a pile of 20 or 30 of them sitting in the middle of the floor. These two gamestops are maybe 25 minutes apart but no one can be bother to go from one to the other to get a PS4 I guess.

Edit - and everywhere always has bones obviously.

I sold an xbone on launch day for 725 dollars+shipping , true story. I sometimes wonder how she feels about that now. I love the xbone but I paid 500 for it and then sold the special edition stuff so it cost even less. Id be pissed if I paid like 750 for it though, especially with the Titanfall bundle out now.

WinnebagoWarrior fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Mar 14, 2014

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

ten_twentyfour posted:

The cable itself needs to be HDMI-CEC compatible too.

No, please stop spreading bullshit. Aside from some very new applications all HDMI capability changes are done at the device level except for one case where cables needed to be certified against too much signal loss for high bandwidth uses. Even then it was just a matter of build quality, not functionality.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Mar 14, 2014

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Saladman posted:

Well that's, like, your opinion, man. ;p

I'm just a little miffed at the XIMs, like an above poster mentioned, and the impossible things one can do with a mouse and keyboard. Real people can't do that, and I require realism in my murder simulators.

You can turn all voice chat off, it's an option in Settings or Preferences somewhere. You can also disable the Kinect for voice chat, in a separate preference. You can also highlight everyone in the lobby one by one and press X to mute them.

losonti tokash
Oct 29, 2007

I'm so pretty, oh so pretty.
You could also just make a party and set it to require invites.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Saladman posted:

Just don't play. Seriously - the game is an online game that greatly benefits from communication between teammates to win the matches and you want to be another one of the fuckwits that turns off their mic and doesn't interact with the other players. Go play a single player game where you don't have to talk or listen to anyone.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

I eat Rotheseburgehergh's like you for breakfast
otoh play the game and have fun because getting mad about video games on the internet may be worse then turning your mic off

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's Call of Duty anyway, it's all about individuals.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Some challenges require you to ride on teammates shoulders. Well, that and CTF is basically "does one team have a guy with a Stryder and functional communication y/n?" because there is a gulf in scoring when that happens.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Aphrodite posted:

That is an excellent formula for screaming at the television. I get rolled hard when I try to gank someone on a crew.

Besides, some guys are cool dudes to talk to. Good luck finding them randomly though.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

univbee posted:

I think his point, which was a legitimate thing on PS3/360, was that people use a device called a XIM that basically cons the console into thinking a keyboard/mouse is an official controller, letting them play phenomenally well (especially since they could use techniques that are relatively easy on a kb/m but difficult/impossible on a controller with sticks) against opponents who are at a control disadvantage.

Ahh, yeah that's pretty lame. Sorry Captain Rainbow, I had no idea what you were referring to.

Edit: Actually I did this with the Dreamcast on Unreal Tournament, although it was an official accessory, probably no one else had it. RIP Dreamcast.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Mar 15, 2014

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Wheany posted:

Does that sound appealing to you, though? "I could spend my spark time on this level, but I might find some better level later and then wouldn't have enough time to play that level"

Especially if you have bought extra spark time using real money.

So it's 30 minutes of playing on ANY Project Spark using assets you don't have? Like it doesn't reset from going from Guy 1's to Gal 2's creations? Yeah that's pretty terrible then. I imagine they'll have to change the whole paradigm at some point... probably just by making it cost $60 like a normal game and you get all of the assets. I'm also not sure why anyone would buy assets right now — won't everything probably be reset when the beta ends?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

porktree posted:

Just don't play. Seriously - the game is an online game that greatly benefits from communication between teammates to win the matches and you want to be another one of the fuckwits that turns off their mic and doesn't interact with the other players. Go play a single player game where you don't have to talk or listen to anyone.

I never muted my mic / headset in BF3 and literally never once had a single person try and set up 'tactics'. Actually almost no one ever even used a mic in that game. I don't think voice chat is really a 'thing' unless you are in a clan and/or join specific ranked servers, so you might want to check out what normal 'join random game' play is like. I don't have Titanfall yet, but Halo 3 is the only game I've ever played extensively online where people actually used voicechat, and it was a bunch of pre-pubescent probably-boys screaming "loving bitch whore human being" when you killed them, and then "haha i'm teabagging you human being you human being" when they kill you. I also dated a girl who was really into Halo and would use voice chat, and it was basically nonstop verbal abuse if she ever spoke into the thing. She liked yelling at children so it worked out for her but YMMV and for me I've exclusively seen voicechat used for making GBS threads on people.

It's cool when you're in a game with friends, but I'm not even remotely interested enough in investing the time to have organized 'battles' or whatever.

• Locked thread