Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

b0ng posted:

The coaching staff didn't turn on Schaub. In actuality the coaching staff was fired because they put Schaub on the field in the last part of one or two games.

Everyone assumes this but McNair stated it pretty bluntly as "We lost to the loving Jaguars. Twice." At that point it was just about seeing if Case had anything else to show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Kirios posted:

Personally I'd like to get Williams and Quessenberry a chance. They both showed a lot of promised leading up to the preseason and unless they have regressed mightily then we need to give them a real look next year.

Brandon Brooks may have graded out as the best guard in the league in run defense. He was flat out dominant in that respect. Which shows that I know absolutely nothing about drafting, because I thought he was going to be a super obvious bust.

I wouldn't mind giving them a look but at the same time you don't want to be on your rear end if they fail. That's why I want a veteran swing tackle who can step up and start at RT if necessary (though I don't want that to be Ryan Harris or Derek Newton)

b0ng
Jan 16, 2004

Thats a nice Game 7 you have there. Would be a shame if somebody nailed it down.

bhsman posted:

Everyone assumes this but McNair stated it pretty bluntly as "We lost to the loving Jaguars. Twice." At that point it was just about seeing if Case had anything else to show.

A game in which Schaub came in near the end of the game.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

I think it would be hilarious if they had Schaub start a single game next session. The fact that he's still on the team is causing a low uproar

PrinceRandom fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Mar 14, 2014

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

b0ng posted:

A game in which Schaub came in near the end of the game.

And?

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

Actually, with this draft being so deep in receivers I totally wouldn't mind if Ozzie grabbed a FS early if one is available. With the receiver class being so deep, grabbing one in the 2nd/3rd wouldn't be bad at all.

Also for some reason given the franchises history with round 1 receivers, I just feel more comfortable with a 2nd round pick. Ozzie's round 2 picks are usually more fun anyway.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

He's right, the coaching staff didn't turn on Schaub. To the point where it got Kubiak fired. The ownership did, but the coaches never did

b0ng
Jan 16, 2004

Thats a nice Game 7 you have there. Would be a shame if somebody nailed it down.

Intruder posted:

He's right, the coaching staff didn't turn on Schaub. To the point where it got Kubiak fired. The ownership did, but the coaches never did

Get this man a prize.

Either way it's pretty much done now, and I really don't believe Schaub is going to be getting much more of McNair's money but I'm starting to get antsy that O'Brien is going to want to trade for, or get a sub-par QB off of a trash heap. Maybe I'm just biased, but I've been watching Bridgewater and Manziel the last couple of years and I have wanted both of those guys to be a Texan. Now that we have the #1 pick, I'm starting to get queasy that they are going to pick an OL or somebody other than Clowney/Bridgewater/Manziel.

I just hope that O'Brien is not the kind of guy who wants to show the NFL how smart he is by trading for some backup (Osweiler, Mallet) and proving to the world he is a QB guru.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Bill O'Brien is absolutely the type that strikes me as someone who wants to be a QB whisperer which is the main reason why I think the Texans are taking a QB first overall.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Or a late round QB instead so he can look like a genius

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Quest For Glory II posted:

Or a late round QB instead so he can look like a genius

Or trading the first pick of the second round for Ryan Mallett :barf:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Brett Smith will set the world on fire go pokes

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Intruder posted:

Or trading the first pick of the second round for Ryan Mallett :barf:
A fourth for McGloin

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I would no joke trade a second for McGloin before trading a fourth for Mallett

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Intruder posted:

I would no joke trade a second for McGloin before trading a fourth for Mallett

Why? Malletts thrown like four passes in the league so you don't really know what he's capable of at this moment. Neither do I.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Doltos posted:

Why? Malletts thrown like four passes in the league so you don't really know what he's capable of at this moment. Neither do I.

Irrationality

Trading for Mallett sounds like too much Patriots nepotism for my tastes

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Intruder posted:

Which is not at all what McNair said in his presser? Until some tell-all comes out, that's nothing but fan(-preferred) speculation.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
I just don't want us to draft Bortles. Anyone But Bortles 2014

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK
I want Tajh Boyd or Brett Smith at the end of the sixth and I don't care who knows it. They are cool.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
You have very unique opinions.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

I would say that Smith doesn't deserve to be as low as Boyd but since he's been utterly ignored by everyone everywhere I can't say for sure

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Elotana posted:

I just don't want us to draft Bortles. Anyone But Bortles 2014

You heard the man, Derek Carr it is

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Febreeze posted:

You heard the man, Derek Carr it is

I actually prefer Carr over Bortles and I can't rationally explain why.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Part of me secretly thinks Brett Smith is the next Favre.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

So I keep hearing this draft is flush with pass rushing talent, but who outside of Clowney would be ready to start in the NFL right away in that role?

defiantgiant
Oct 17, 2004

YOU ARE RIDICULOUS now please stop running backward all the time kthx

anime gently caress pillow posted:

So I keep hearing this draft is flush with pass rushing talent, but who outside of Clowney would be ready to start in the NFL right away in that role?

For 3-4 OLBs, Khalil Mack is probably going to be ready to play right away, and Dee Ford could be too. Kony Ealy might fall into that category at 4-3 DE. Anthony Barr, from what I've seen people saying, sounds like more of a project.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Ford was originally mocked to the Eagles by a lot of people but his stock has risen too high lately. He won't be there.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Quest For Glory II posted:

Ford was originally mocked to the Eagles by a lot of people but his stock has risen too high lately. He won't be there.

Let's hope we trade up, then.

Toymachine
Jul 2, 2007

Warning - Posts created under the influence of Codeine and/or Skittles
I honestly could see Khalil Mack having a Shawne Merriman/Demarcus Ware like impact off the bat.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

Doltos posted:

Bill O'Brien is absolutely the type that strikes me as someone who wants to be a QB whisperer which is the main reason why I think the Texans are taking a QB first overall.

He is. He turned McGloin from the worst QB in college football to an NFL starter (loosely). If they go Clowney he'll work magic with Keenum for a year and find someone new

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Doesn't your gimmick dictate you say BOB turns Manziel into the next Steve Young?

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
Why doesn't BOB just pick Vince Young off of the scrap heap? I mean it makes perfect sense.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

Regnevelc posted:

Why doesn't BOB just pick Vince Young off of the scrap heap? I mean it makes perfect sense.

It's what every Texans fan has been wanting for years, so why not

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Grozz Nuy posted:

Who do you think they would want at 5? Watkins would be the only obvious top 10 guy I think makes sense, and even then the WR depth in this draft is so crazy I think they'd be better off holding onto 30 or moving up to 15 or so for Mike Evans for a fraction of the price.

Apparently I'm not the only one thinking that way.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
How did Schaub just completely fall apart this year? I mean, I never thought he was that good, but thats like a Rick Ankiel level plummeting.

smuggler
Apr 23, 2007
INSULTING THE PACKERS IS NOT AGAINST FORUM RULES, MORON

Ten picks for Sammy Watkins? Do it SF!

Toymachine
Jul 2, 2007

Warning - Posts created under the influence of Codeine and/or Skittles

smuggler posted:

Yes do it! We can draft a whole new team with your help!

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Toymachine posted:

Yes do it! We can draft a whole new team with your help!

I think that would be the point, Raiders don't need one star, they need several (dozen) solid starters. Niners don't need (or have room for) several solid starters, they need one or two stars.

The only thing I could see being a problem is the Raiders' lack of a LT. Not a very deep group this year, and they may need to use that 5th pick to get one.

smuggler posted:

Hah, more like five, would be my guess. And Watkins will probably be gone after pick #2, anyway.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
:laffo: I was just talking with people about the Raiders trading back with the Niners. I like it. Really a 2nd or 3rd round pick at tackle would be enough to get by. Watson looked way better than any rookie in his situation starting should have, but he was constantly injured. If he can stay healthy, I could see LT not being the worst position on the line. Definitely want more competition there though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Volkerball posted:

:laffo: I was just talking with people about the Raiders trading back with the Niners. I like it. Really a 2nd or 3rd round pick at tackle would be enough to get by. Watson looked way better than any rookie in his situation starting should have, but he was constantly injured. If he can stay healthy, I could see LT not being the worst position on the line. Definitely want more competition there though.

Now if only Goons were in charge of the NFL, we could make this happen :(

• Locked thread