Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
weirdly chilly pussy
Oct 6, 2007

Way to spoil the thread there :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
So more news on the flight: Rose to 44,000 feet, flying erratically, dove to 23,000.

XK posted:

The easy way to control the passengers on a plane you have taken over is to take the flight crew's oxygen supply for yourself, then decompress the cabin. Even if you can't keep the rest of the plane from the drop down masks, they only last for 15 minutes or so.

Looks like you may've called it.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Guess that depends on whether you can actually control cabin air like that through the cockpit in a 777. I know that function isn't available on all airframes.

Then again if you've figured out how to hijack a modern 777 then you can probably figure out how to put a hole in the bulkhead.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

My Imaginary GF posted:

So more news on the flight: Rose to 44,000 feet, flying erratically, dove to 23,000.

Looks like you may've called it.

I could imagine if he was suicidal he mightve just done something crazy to end his life on. Go into a bunch of weird acrobatics and nosedives that hed always wanted to pull off, loving with the systems in some way, then just cruising around for a bit before the nut decides that, gently caress it, this stretch of ocean looks as good as any.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Shibawanko posted:

I could imagine if he was suicidal he mightve just done something crazy to end his life on. Go into a bunch of weird acrobatics and nosedives that hed always wanted to pull off, loving with the systems in some way, then just cruising around for a bit before the nut decides that, gently caress it, this stretch of ocean looks as good as any.

Nah suicidal people never go like "I'm gonna do some crazy poo poo before I go out"

Like the Egypt Air guy could have at least done a barrel roll while crying about his wife

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Fallom posted:

Guess that depends on whether you can actually control cabin air like that through the cockpit in a 777. I know that function isn't available on all airframes.

Then again if you've figured out how to hijack a modern 777 then you can probably figure out how to put a hole in the bulkhead.

Just Googled up this:
http://www.smartcockpit.com/download.php?path=docs/&file=B777-Air_Systems.pdf

It appears the 777 does allow the pilot to manually operate the cabin pressurization system and vent the cabin to outside pressure.

weirdly chilly pussy
Oct 6, 2007

this season on Lost...

texasmed
May 27, 2004
I don't think some of yall really understand what happens when an aircraft slams into the ocean. It breaks up into a million pieces, some of which sink, the rest floats. Your socks would float on the water waiting to be washed up on a distant shore, or for a military ship to find them.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
has anyone made a joke about lost yet in this thread because

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

texasmed posted:

I don't think some of yall really understand what happens when an aircraft slams into the ocean. It breaks up into a million pieces, some of which sink, the rest floats. Your socks would float on the water waiting to be washed up on a distant shore, or for a military ship to find them.

I just lost an expensive bandana in the ocean and I looked for hours but it didn't float.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

texasmed posted:

If they were wearing buoyant athletic shoes maybe their feet will was ashore in a few months.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
boeing: Hey so your $250 million dollar check cleared, here's the keys to your new 777.

malaysian air: ok thx.

boeing: hey btw, we offer a service sorta like gm's OnStar, it's free for a year if you go ahead and give us a card # we can charge $21.99 a month on after the year. The hardware is active, can't be turned off, and already installed in your plane. Wanna sign up?

malaysian air: nothx bye now.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Mar 15, 2014

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

maybe the plane is in the air still, has anyone checked

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

If the plane was flying around all spazzed out, that's probably a more certain indicator of mechanical failure than of anything else.

Japan Air 123 flew around in a fugoid motion and circled back on itself before crashing into a mountain much further away than a safe runway, entirely because the back end blew out and they lost all hydraulic controls. If you leave a plane to do its own thing, it quite often has a tendency to fly up and down for its own amusement.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Remember that lovely TV show The Event that was cancelled after half a season? Remember that plane? That's what happened to this plane.

no, actually, i dont remember that.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

FullLeatherJacket posted:

If you leave a plane to do its own thing, it quite often has a tendency to fly up and down for its own amusement.

Airliners are specifically designed not to do that. There was a lot more that got hosed up on that Japanese flight than just "they couldn't use the controls", since the vertical stabilizer was completely blown off.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
nobody ruled out zero-G juggs as cause of crash yet

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Double Muhammad posted:

nobody ruled out zero-G juggs as cause of crash yet

good point. Flight-manifest indicates possibility of 28 non-asians on-board possibly 50% female of those...

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

no, actually, i dont remember that.

You missed something special then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqYX-qI9oxw

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe
where s the plane

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Emanuel Collective posted:

where s the plane

https://twitter.com/ciaotiga/status/444197548144992257

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

where s the plane

over there

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
NO-QUARTERMASTER

From the river (of Palestinian blood) to the sea (of Palestinian tears)

ohhh no it's nooot!

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

its cool how malaysia is dicking china around and make its barbaric citizens suffer.

Wobbulated
Apr 24, 2007

by sebmojo

Shibawanko posted:

Wouldn't be the first time

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craig_D._Button

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

FullLeatherJacket posted:

If the plane was flying around all spazzed out, that's probably a more certain indicator of mechanical failure than of anything else.

No actually that's not the case. The erratic flight and the direction change to the opposite way the plane was meant to go are certain indicators of a hijacking scenario.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

where s the plane

I can guarantee you it's not under my bed

I looked twice

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
Plane was hijacked by a master troll.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Maybe somebody pushed (cracked?) his buttons or he pushed the wrong one. I'd rather someone craig d. current case.

:toot:

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

has anyone made a bad twitch plays pokemon plane joke yet

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style
Come on guys we all know it's hiding in plane sight.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

gnarlyhotep posted:

I can guarantee you it's not under my bed

I looked twice

I can confirm this plane is not in my house, or in my yard. As of this afternoon at least.

hofnar
Dec 27, 2008

by sebmojo

flavor posted:

Maybe somebody pushed (cracked?) his buttons or he pushed the wrong one. I'd rather someone craig d. current case.

:toot:

well said

also:

LOL

Classified analysis indeed

"it might have gone this way.....or this way"

http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/14/world/...ane/index.html

If you haven't watched that you need to. No idea how they are keeping a straight face

hofnar fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Mar 15, 2014

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

so, the cia created a race of psychics to stop terrorists from flying a plane into the president? or something like that? that looks really dumb.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

so, the cia created a race of psychics to stop terrorists from flying a plane into the president? or something like that? that looks really dumb.

it's a show on network TV, so yeah chances are it's dumb

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

still can't believe they have ships and planes looking for this thing. don't they have HD satellites looking at every expanse of the Earth now? There's literally no way both US and China don't have that technology, why wouldn't they deploy it? Seems like it would use a lot less resources.

I'm still skeptical it crashed, they for sure would've found it by now

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

This is totally Schrodinger's plane. It's in a superposition of possible outcomes right now.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Rocks posted:

still can't believe they have ships and planes looking for this thing.

Realtalk: can you even do poo poo from a ship in a scenario like this? A ship that can't launch aircraft to get a good view I mean.

My only sea-faring experience was on a cruise but on an almost quarter-mile long ship you feel real loving tiny out there in the ocean, and while a 777 is a gigantic motherfucker compared to a car, if I didn't have a house I could fit one in my lot with maybe a bit of wing or nose going to a neighbor.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Mar 15, 2014

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Rocks posted:

still can't believe they have ships and planes looking for this thing. don't they have HD satellites looking at every expanse of the Earth now? There's literally no way both US and China don't have that technology, why wouldn't they deploy it? Seems like it would use a lot less resources.

The imaging capabilities of US spy satellites are highly classified and it doesn't make it any less of a needle in haystack search.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Rocks posted:

If you had the capability to locate the plane would you reveal it

• Locked thread