Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm pretty sure that's only a thing because of the games, but yeah it's kinda weird. Does anyone who knows about the Japanese versions of those games know what his title is over there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Adult gohan is the strongest in the universe but still doesnt do crap.

He had a lot more balls as a kid.

Hey he did something- he became a superhero.

I'm pretty sure we'd all try out becoming a superhero if we had crazy sayian superpowers :colbert:.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Mar 14, 2014

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I've been shotgunning DBZ lately, and good lord, is it just me or did Videl's dub VA phone in about 90% of her lines?

Well, at least until Spopovich started crushing her skull, that is. :gonk:

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Mister Roboto posted:

When Gohan kills Cell he's 9/11.

So it wasn't terrorists that blew up the towers, it was the Saiyins!

Ron Paul was right after all!

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Dragonball, Western Animation style:

By an artist named "Scarz" here:

http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=20113

He's good.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Goku with Aladdin's facial expressions is making me cry from laughing too much.

Matte Black
Sep 5, 2006
some guy
There's a pile of decent westernized Dragonball redesigns on this artist's Deviantart page.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Yo yo what's the best DBZ Abridged ep?

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

It's this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pSmhZFbCy0

rocketbrah
Sep 24, 2003

it's peanut butter
⚡ MORPHIN' TIME ⚡

Dunno but I think the single best moment is Vegita's slow realization that Krillin and Gohan have stolen the balls and summoned the Namekian dragon

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

DBZ Kai Abridged

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Surec posted:

Dunno but I think the single best moment is Vegita's slow realization that Krillin and Gohan have stolen the balls and summoned the Namekian dragon

I'm a fan of The Scream Heard Round the Universe myself.

Caros
May 14, 2008

bladeworksmaster posted:

Daddy?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Best part is that it'll get you past some of the worst episodes of the series (though Nappa and Vegeta is where it really clicked for me).

bladeworksmaster posted:

Yes, that's drat near the best moment of the entire series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCOxVaQQrbk

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
If they ever do GT, I'm very hopeful that'll come back.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Mordaedil posted:

Goku with Aladdin's facial expressions is making me cry from laughing too much.

This makes me think of the dragon breaking into a rousing rendition of "Friend Like Me" when summoned.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Mister Roboto posted:

It's interesting how people call kid Gohan "Teen Gohan."

When Gohan kills Cell he's 9/11.

When Buu saga starts, he's 16/18.

The age discrepancy is because the manga says he's 9 while the anime says 11.

Tween Gohan

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Yes, that's drat near the best moment of the entire series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCOxVaQQrbk

That's probably the funniest usage of Ghost Nappa besides The Punchline, too. ...Was that the last time Ghost Nappa showed up? I don't remember him saying anything during the Ginyu or Frieza fights.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Mar 15, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

That's probably the funniest usage of Ghost Nappa besides the punchline, too. ...Was that the last time Ghost Nappa showed up? I don't remember him saying anything during the Ginyu or Frieza fights.

He's a Hollywood producer now.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Spiritus Nox posted:

That's probably the funniest usage of Ghost Nappa besides the punchline, too. ...Was that the last time Ghost Nappa showed up? I don't remember him saying anything during the Ginyu or Frieza fights.

He came back to life through a technicality.
He's now big time producer Nappa.

[e]:AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Mar 15, 2014

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

He's a Hollywood producer now.

Yeah, I knew that. I was talking about Ghost Nappa, not live Nappa. :colbert:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Spiritus Nox posted:

Yeah, I knew that. I was talking about Ghost Nappa, not live Nappa. :colbert:

Well Ghost Nappas dead. Dead forever. Like Nappa was.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Spiritus Nox posted:

That's probably the funniest usage of Ghost Nappa besides The Punchline, too. ...Was that the last time Ghost Nappa showed up? I don't remember him saying anything during the Ginyu or Frieza fights.

He appeared at the end of the Tree of Might parody.

"Vegeeeeetaaaa... Tonight you will be haunted be threeeee ghooooosts! And they're all me. Hi."

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

And mommy.

I love long gags like Vegeta's Scream but for some reason it's usually the quick lines that always stand out to me as my favorites.

1. Vegeta's Theme Music (and his facial expression to said theme music)

2. TFS' version of the dumb filler flashback

Vegeta: How did you know about the parts you weren't there for?
Freeza: ... (powers up)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

I'm still hoping they'll do one for Namek as well.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
One of my favorite things in DBZ Abridged is after Zarbon piledrives Vegeta into the ground at the end of their first fight. Vegeta gets out of the lake and chokes out "WHY DID I EXPLODE?". The little jokes like that are hilarious to me.

I've never seen Cooler's Revenge, but his fifth form kind of irks me. It's established that Freeza's fourth form is his 'true' form, right? Unlike the rest of the villains in DBZ, it's established Freeza's transformations are power downs instead of power ups. So why does Cooler have a fifth form that is more powerful than his fourth? Is he basically a super Cooler in the fifth form? I'm asking because I've never seen it and maybe they explain it in the movie, but that tidbit never really sat well with me since it's a direct contradiction to Freeza's tranformations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I have a question of my own but it's related to TFS.

In this scene with the "was he never there to begin with?" and the music and stuff, is that a reference to anything?

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

crankdatbatman posted:

One of my favorite things in DBZ Abridged is after Zarbon piledrives Vegeta into the ground at the end of their first fight. Vegeta gets out of the lake and chokes out "WHY DID I EXPLODE?". The little jokes like that are hilarious to me.

I've never seen Cooler's Revenge, but his fifth form kind of irks me. It's established that Freeza's fourth form is his 'true' form, right? Unlike the rest of the villains in DBZ, it's established Freeza's transformations are power downs instead of power ups. So why does Cooler have a fifth form that is more powerful than his fourth? Is he basically a super Cooler in the fifth form? I'm asking because I've never seen it and maybe they explain it in the movie, but that tidbit never really sat well with me since it's a direct contradiction to Freeza's tranformations.
The DBZ movies have really, really bad writing.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

NikkolasKing posted:

I have a question of my own but it's related to TFS.

In this scene with the "was he never there to begin with?" and the music and stuff, is that a reference to anything?

It's just a gag.
Many things have done it.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

crankdatbatman posted:

I couldn't say if the Japanese version clarifies it better but right before he transforms in the English dub, he says Frieza "always had the edge" as in he was naturally stronger than Cooler, but Cooler "found" a fifth form.

Dragonball Multiverse, which takes some liberties with movie and anime-only stuff, says that Cooler actually gave a poo poo and trained. This allows him to maintain his original form all the time, whereas Frieza and Cold had to power down because they couldn't control their own power, because they're not really fighters, they're just naturally absurdly powerful. As a result, Cooler discovered an ascended form. I like to think that's pretty close to the truth, because it actually makes some semblance of sense out of the plot of a DBZ movie.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

crankdatbatman posted:

His 5th form is a powerup that no one other than him knew. The CCG says his base form is actually his third form.

Jump stated that he doesn't have lower forms like Frieza and can control his power freely in his base form.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I've gotten to the final tournament arc in my readthrough of the original Dragon Ball. More thoughts:

• It's clear that Hunter x Hunter is heavily inspired by Dragon Ball in some ways. In particular, Gon has a similar personality to Kid Goku, and his rock-paper-scissors attack is also clearly taken from Goku's. I think there's actually an element of commentary in HxH on how messed up the sort of characters and setting presented in a story like Dragon Ball are if you take them at all seriously.
  • The revelation that the world is already united under one king makes Pilaf's and Black's motivations make a bit more sense. Actually, while the current king is clearly preferable to, say, Piccolo or Black, we're never presented with much evidence that he's the best man for the job.
  • The way the "water of the gods" is described makes it sound like it made Goku as strong as he could ever be, but his training with God almost immediately afterwards made him stronger than that. Am I missing something here?
  • Chi-Chi lost to Goku quite decisively, but she was strong enough to make it through the preliminaries. Somehow I suspect that's as cool as Toriyama will ever allow her to be.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Silver2195 posted:

Actually, while the current king is clearly preferable to, say, Piccolo or Black, we're never presented with much evidence that he's the best man for the job.

By the time of the Cell Saga, he's the only person around who seems to remember Goku or Piccolo. Basically he's the only non-retarded person on the planet so he might as well be in charge.

quote:

[*]The way the "water of the gods" is described makes it sound like it made Goku as strong as he could ever be, but his training with God almost immediately afterwards made him stronger than that. Am I missing something here?

It's no different than how Guru released Gohan's potential then Gohan kept powering up against Freeza. or how Gohan released all of his power and became SSJ2. Or then how his potential was unlocked even more by Old Kai.

It's just shounen BS.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I'm pretty sure Chi-Chi going out of focus isn't Toriyama enforcing the glass ceiling unless the glass ceiling covers everyone who is not a Saiyan now.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

I'm pretty sure Chi-Chi going out of focus isn't Toriyama enforcing the glass ceiling unless the glass ceiling covers everyone who is not a Saiyan now.

The one woman in all of budokai that I can remember made it through the ranks through her secret powerful martial art of taking her clothes off. The bar for women in dragonball was never set particularly high, but I don't think anyone reads a silly-rear end 80s fightmans manga for its commentary on contemporary feminism in Japan.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Videl was pretty cool for what she did.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

a cartoon duck posted:

The one woman in all of budokai that I can remember made it through the ranks through her secret powerful martial art of taking her clothes off. The bar for women in dragonball was never set particularly high, but I don't think anyone reads a silly-rear end 80s fightmans manga for its commentary on contemporary feminism in Japan.

I mean, Bulma was pretty important in the beginning of the show...sort of? I mean she was sexualized six ways to Sunday but she was the most competent of the bunch through up til say the 22nd Tournament

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Videl was pretty cool for what she did.
She would have totally snapped Spopovich's neck had he not been all magical and poo poo.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Chances are if Spopovich wasn't magic Videl wouldn't have needed to snap his neck in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I remember the announcer being really sad for Videl when she did that, because it was against the rules. That's pretty messed up.

• Locked thread